Closed Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

Finally, a Sticky--I hope someone reads this and learns. I wrote about deloading a few months back and this is even better. (Hate admitting it, but it's true). Fine job, Vox; let's hope more newbs zone in on this and use it well.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Finally, a Sticky--I hope someone reads this and learns. I wrote about deloading a few months back and this is even better. (Hate admitting it, but it's true). Fine job, Vox; let's hope more newbs zone in on this and use it well.
    Thanks, GuyJin! You should copy and paste your writeup in here. More info is always good.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Not very good at copying-pasting; flunked that in kindergarten, I think...

On one of my old threads. Personally, I think yours is better, so let's leave it at that.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Good read, thanks!

You can't sculpt a pebble Metal_Lust's Avatar
    Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000) Metal_Lust is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Not very good at copying-pasting; flunked that in kindergarten, I think...

On one of my old threads. Personally, I think yours is better, so let's leave it at that.
    haha I was gunna mention your thread. If there's anything in your thread to add onto here, you should!

edit: Oh...yeah, what Vox said!
    Bodybuilders, Power lifters, Olympic lifters: We are ALL weight lifters!
    Enough with all the bull****.

"I want be able to do a bunch of different activities and still kick ass in the weight room. I want to be as mobile, flexible, strong, and in as good a condition as I possibly can."-Jim Wendler

reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) reddevl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You can't train all-out all the time. Eventually you'll take a break from training. You can either do it on your schedule, or your body will schedule a break for you. If you leave it up to your body to decide, it will nearly always be a bad thing. Either your progress will have stalled, or worse, you've injured yourself. Be proactive; deload on a regular schedule, whether you think you need it or not.
    Ironwill,

I was following the coan phillipi deadlift program and my deadlift already went from 405 to 455 lbs (11/25/09). I started a new program after a weeks break starting in december and last week i pulled 440 x 2 and was getting ready to pull 465 x 2 yesterday, i just couldn't do it for the life of me. So i deloaded and even pulling 405 x 2 felt like a heavy load. If i do end up pulling 465 next week i will attest to this article as an example.

Thanks
    Prasad

Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100) Leadreign is not very well liked. (-100)
    Fits what happens to me perfectly. 2 months in, I feel the drive to push hard slowly dissipate. Also find myself passing out directly after work. Guess this will be my guide.

Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    When you are eating at a caloric deficit your recovery is also more limited. Therefore, all other things being a constant (still lifting just as heavy, just as much volume, etc.) you may actually need to de-load on a cut more often.

If your nutrition is on track, I don't think you will lose an appreciable amount of muscle.
    Hmm interesting. But in a deload, if you keep the volume the same but reduce the weight for example from 90kg to say 80kg, then you are decreasing your workload which i guess is the point of a deload, but also decreasing intensity right? And i've never cut before so i don't know, but i thought to try to preserve muscle on a cut, one should lift with high intensity and lower volume to ensure that your body can still partition nutrients to your muscles while burning off extra body fat to fuel other normal metabolic activities. So wouldn't deloading = lower intensity cause less muscle to be preserved in a cut? I'm probably wrong here because i have no idea about cutting, but just wanted to ask.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Confuzzl3dOn3 View Post
    Hmm interesting. But in a deload, if you keep the volume the same but reduce the weight for example from 90kg to say 80kg, then you are decreasing your workload which i guess is the point of a deload, but also decreasing intensity right? And i've never cut before so i don't know, but i thought to try to preserve muscle on a cut, one should lift with high intensity and lower volume to ensure that your body can still partition nutrients to your muscles while burning off extra body fat to fuel other normal metabolic activities. So wouldn't deloading = lower intensity cause less muscle to be preserved in a cut? I'm probably wrong here because i have no idea about cutting, but just wanted to ask.
    Let me first state that I'm not a pro-BB, nor do I personally do very extended pro-BB type cuts, so there might be better people to ask about the fine details of a long cut. If you are taking a shorter cut, just schedule a deload either before or after your cut.

I think no matter what there are going to be tradeoffs. It's just a matter of how you choose to balance things based on what your body is telling you. No matter if you are on a bulk, cut, maintenance or what, if you continue to lift heavy you're going to have to take a break eventually. If you lifted just as heavy, but with less volume, you might be able to delay a deload to a certain degree, but you'll get to that point sooner or later.

The point of scheduling a deload (rather than being forced to take one due to injury) is that you can try to schedule as few of them as possible during a cut if that's what works best for you. In any event, I don't think that one week of lighter weights every so often will significantly decrease the amount of muscle you keep - in fact, it might actually help you keep more due to supercompensation during the short deload period.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
    Another informative thread by Vox. VoxExMachine for mod, perhaps?
    You mean burn him out so he doesn't want to post anymore?

All mods end up in the Misc. I have no idea how I escaped that punishment.

Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    You mean burn him out so he doesn't want to post anymore?

All mods end up in the Misc. I have no idea how I escaped that punishment.
    I'm sure it will happen to me eventually. I don't know how you guys who've been around forever stay sane.

The Misc. is like Escape From New York, Interwebz Style.

Talking

I'm sure it will happen to me eventually. I don't know how you guys who've been around forever stay sane.

The Misc. is like Escape From New York, Interwebz Style.
    ---------------------------------------

Where's Snake Pliskin when ya need him? Huh? Whatta world...

xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500) xFORGEDx is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great thread and great advice man! Thank's a lot!
    R.I.P Andy Irons
    ///on the road to the UFC///

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=635222653#post635222653
    - APP NUTS HGH UP/ FREE TEST SPONSERED LOG

my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thanks vox this is good stuff
    i never thought to add a deload week just about adding a few extra days off then right back thanks im deff gonna add this

i cant stand NOT working out so the deload week is gonna b like taking a week off without the week off right? unless i read this wrong :P

jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50) jkreuze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had a 1.5-2 week deload for the holidays (planned), and when I came back I was pretty wrecked on weight on the dead and the squat; probably in the area of a drop of fifty pounds or so. Bench was pretty close to where I was when I took the break, though. I am working back up to where I was by 10 and 20 lb increments depending on the exercise, so it'll come back fast and I'm sure I'll have some good gains here in a couple weeks, but I was wondering if other people normally come back from a deload stronger, or it takes a little getting back into the swing of things?

I haven't been doing squats and deads for all that long, started the full body workouts in Aug-Sep or so.

Also, since I'm basically resetting, I am working hard on form and ROM, trying to get my squat closer to the ground and working on form on deads, so that might be part of the drop in workout weight.

notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) notoriouszeus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    couldnt agree more

Originally Posted by jkreuze View Post
    I had a 1.5-2 week deload for the holidays (planned), and when I came back I was pretty wrecked on weight on the dead and the squat; probably in the area of a drop of fifty pounds or so....... I was wondering if other people normally come back from a deload stronger, or it takes a little getting back into the swing of things?
    Many people come back from deload and set new PR's. Personally, it sometimes takes me a workout or two to "grease the groove" so to speak. But 50 lbs. sounds like a bit much to me.

Also, since I'm basically resetting, I am working hard on form and ROM, trying to get my squat closer to the ground and working on form on deads, so that might be part of the drop in workout weight.
    That is most likely responsible for your drop right there. Going deeper on squats is much more difficult than doing them relatively shallow.

klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10) klir_2m is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Signs that a de-load may be in order:
    • You feel tired, persistently fatigued, have a decreased desire to train, or other symptoms of under-recovery (overtraining).
    • Your weight progression is stalling and you can't seem to increase most lifts
    • You are experiencing aches, sprains, tendinitis, etc.
    • You train regularly
    Note that last point again: If you train regularly, then you should de-load regularly as well. In fact, a regularly scheduled de-load should come before you start exhibiting any of these symptoms.
    I thought I was immune to all this. After starting a Westside style routine, I was experiencing all of these symptoms particularly the first. My motivation to train went to **** for the first time in the 8 months I've been consistently lifting. I took some time off, not really by choice, but regardless came back fresh and motivated and felt like I was having fun in the gym again. I did lose some ground on my deadlift but the renewed motivation was a fair trade.
    The more you know, the more you squat.
    Raw 1RM's: 455 Squat, 450 Deadlift, 225 Bench

Originally Posted by klir_2m View Post
    I thought I was immune to all this. After starting a Westside style routine, I was experiencing all of these symptoms particularly the first. My motivation to train went to **** for the first time in the 8 months I've been consistently lifting. I took some time off, not really by choice, but regardless came back fresh and motivated and felt like I was having fun in the gym again. I did lose some ground on my deadlift but the renewed motivation was a fair trade.
    If you didn't take a break for 8 months, I can see why your motivation was going to crap. Having to take time off "not really by choice" is what you definitely want to avoid.

A good sign that you needed a de-load and it worked is that your motivation is high again. By the time I'm done with a deload I'm fired up to throw some iron around!

Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jkreuze View Post
    I haven't been doing squats and deads for all that long, started the full body workouts in Aug-Sep or so.
    From my experience with linear progress (i don't know if that what your doing, but probably) and deloads is that if you begin hitting the wall, deload, and come back to where you left off, that deload may not do much for your numbers. Resetting is key.

Also as Vox pointed out, another reason can be your working on form. previously you may have been doing certain lifts incorrectly and neglecting (to a certain degree) the muscles that play key roles in the lifts when done properly. Once you rebuild this foundation your numbers will shoot back up.

STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool

Hey Vox great post first off, ive known about de-loading but have never truley understood it untill this point.

I am wondering what yall think. Ive been seriously training for over a year now, I take my days off for rest like i should and never train a sore muscle. But what I am wondering is if you guys would recommend a week or so to de-load? I know most will say its really up to you, depends on how you feel, etc. I am not overly sore or fatigued but am curious to see what some of your opinions/experiences are with de-loading.

Will rep any solid response, thanks guys
    FloGrown

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by STIMMS View Post
    I am wondering what yall think. Ive been seriously training for over a year now, I take my days off for rest like i should and never train a sore muscle. But what I am wondering is if you guys would recommend a week or so to de-load? I know most will say its really up to you, depends on how you feel, etc. I am not overly sore or fatigued but am curious to see what some of your opinions/experiences are with de-loading.

Will rep any solid response, thanks guys
    As stated earlier, you must take a break from training, every now and then. I do all the things you're doing now, but still deload on a regular basis, whether I feel like I need to, or not.

I've been training this way for years, and intend to train this way for many more.

Not looking for reps, just looking to help you out.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10) STIMMS is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As stated earlier, you must take a break from training, every now and then. I do all the things you're doing now, but still deload on a regular basis, whether I feel like I need to, or not.

I've been training this way for years, and intend to train this way for many more.

Not looking for reps, just looking to help you out.
    Thanks for the honest answer, thats exactly what i was looking for.

Yeah i really dont feel over worked or fatigued but im gonna give it a shot this week. Guess ill see when I start lifting regular again.

Repped brotha
    FloGrown

Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Echo_1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ive always done 3 weeks hard 1 week easy/body weight (push ups, pull ups etc..). do you think this is too often?
    USMC

Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pull14 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Echo_1 View Post
    ive always done 3 weeks hard 1 week easy/body weight (push ups, pull ups etc..). do you think this is too often?
    nah thats perfectly fine. especially if your going hard for 3 weeks. I personally take deload on every 4th week as well, and do nothing other than some mobility drills and foam rolling. Come back feeling great and eager to lift.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Echo_1 View Post
    How frequently you do a deload week is something you have to determine for yourself; everyone's tolerance for training is going to be a bit different. The best time to deload is before you actually feel like you need to. This keeps you at the top of your game at all times by never allowing yourself to get run-down.

How many weeks can you train, all-out, before you begin to feel run down? 12? 16? Then deload at 10 or 14. With some experience you'll be able to get a handle on this.

IMO, deloading "too often" is better than "not often enough."
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Thumbs up

How frequently you do a deload week is something you have to determine for yourself; everyone's tolerance for training is going to be a bit different. The best time to deload is before you actually feel like you need to. This keeps you at the top of your game at all times by never allowing yourself to get run-down.

How many weeks can you train, all-out, before you begin to feel run down? 12? 16? Then deload at 10 or 14. With some experience you'll be able to get a handle on this.

IMO, deloading "too often" is better than "not often enough."
    Great info and perspective. Glad you posted on this, excited to read your posts in the future.
    FloGrown

Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Red1922 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Newbie to the forums, but have been working out for a while.

This is a great sticky. I've been utilizing a de-load on an every other week basis. I stay away from the main compound movements, and focus on the other, often neglected movements.

In addition, I will do a full body workout with supersets or circuit training on a deload week.

As an example on a heavy week I'll do Mon - Legs, calves, Tues- Chest, tri's, Wed- Back, bi's, Thurs- Shoulders, traps, abs, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Rest. I also add about 20 minutes of HIIT cardio after heavy lifts.

On de load week, I'll do the following all for 15 reps and supersets for 10 reps: Monday - Leg press superset w/lunges, Incline dumbell press superset with rope pulldowns, seated rows superset with cable curls, and about 30 minutes of cardio. I repeat this on Fridays. Tuesdays and Thursdays I do strictly 45-60 minutes of cardio and abs. Wednesdays I do a circuit repeated 3 times as follows: Body squat holding 15lb dumbells in each hand, arms extended over head 30 reps, dumbell rows 20 reps each arm, step ups on the bench 15 reps per leg, 30 push ups, alternating lunges with 15lb dumbell in each hand with alternating curl 10 reps each leg, bench dumbell flyes 20 reps, 30 seconds of jumping jacks, 30 seconds of butt kicks, 30 seconds of jumping jacks, 30 seconds of butt kicks.

The volume is still high on my de-load week, and it is 5 days as opposed to my heavy week only consisting of 4 days, but my joints and muscles feel fresher by the time heavy week comes along and i've incorporated a lot more cardio than I do on heavy week.

So far using this since the end of December, i've beat personal bests in squat, deadlift, and bench press in about 2.5 weeks. I plan on using this routine through the end of February.

my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) my_WHEY180 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    question. after i deload and im taking off 15 lbs on my bench does that mean i cant put up 20 lbs on it the week when i come back even though i was about to add the extra 5 lbs the following week?

Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by my_WHEY180 View Post
    question. after i deload and im taking off 15 lbs on my bench does that mean i cant put up 20 lbs on it the week when i come back even though i was about to add the extra 5 lbs the following week?
    Generally deload by a certain amount say take off 10%. And then work back up and past their original 100% weight after several workouts (depending on how much you choose to increase the weight each workout). I wouldn't exactly classify doing 15lbs lighter for one workout being called a deload. I would just say it's a "light" day but maybe that's just me