Closed Thread
    Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

No gall bladder, no problem?

Despite not fitting in to any of the categories for gall bladder risk, I had mine removed several months ago. It was swelling to the point where it could be seen through my skin, and it contained a fairly massive stone. Not a fun experience. The surgery, and the time off after the fact, cost me about ten pounds (couldn't eat much, if at all). But again, that was months ago. I've built myself back in to the shape I was (or probably better, my profile pic is a bit old). But there's a problem. As anyone will tell you, it's important to eat good fats and meat. The problem is, any time I eat anything remotely fatty, I bloat and feel sick as hell. Dairy, also, gives me fits. I compensate by taking a probiotic, eating a TON of fiber, and consuming protein from leaner meats (mostly tilapia, some chicken breast). But frankly, this gets a bit old sometimes. Is there any particular strategy a gall bladder-less person can use to eat like normal? Or is that a pipe dream?

king of the nutmisc johnpagnolo's Avatar
    johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnpagnolo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Brah,

Like you I had my gal-b taken out. I did not fit in any of the categories at all. I had a fairly large stone in as well. I was 21, slightly overweight...like 190. I had a not so great diet.

For a few months I would get EXTREME pain in my chest. Eventually I was unable to deal with it. It got os bad that I was curled up in the fetal position crying and had to be taken to the hospital.

Post Surgery I would watch my fats. Anything too fatty and I would get a little ill; however I am fine now. No issues. I eat some REALLY fatty stuff every now and then now.

I am totally back to normal. However I can't drink things that contain Malic Acid (cheap juices). It puts me in the worst pain of my life.

I am sure in time your body will adjust and you will be back to eating burgers and fried everything.

Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just thought I would give this thread a little bump to see how you all are coming along. I also underwent this surgery due not to stones, but an "underfunctioning" gallbladder (it was down to like 18%). Like you both, I didn't fit into any of the categories either, I was pretty fit, 26 and had a reasonable diet. It's only been 4 months for me, and I've adjusted to alot of things pretty well. I still have bloating / bubbly feelings over by where the GB used to be, but nothing to major, really just hoping that I'll be able to get back to better than before by staying fit.
    God
    --------
    Mind
    --------
    Matter

Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Beech27 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I no longer take any fiber or probiotic supplements, and am doing just fine. Instead on focusing on some highly specialized diet, I now eat following the general rule that, if it's not food in nature, it's not food. I've hardly gone paleo, but I have found that making meat and vegetables the cornerstones of my diet has literally cleared up all my digestive issues.

wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000) wnc817 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Beech27 View Post
    I no longer take any fiber or probiotic supplements, and am doing just fine. Instead on focusing on some highly specialized diet, I now eat following the general rule that, if it's not food in nature, it's not food. I've hardly gone paleo, but I have found that making meat and vegetables the cornerstones of my diet has literally cleared up all my digestive issues.
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/diet-...r-removal.html

"After the removal of the gall bladder, it is very essential to maintain a low carbohydrate and high protein diet. Reduction in cooking medium while tempering meats and fish helps a lot. It is also advisable to adopt six smaller meals rather than three large ones. Without the gall bladder, digestion does become difficult and hence this shift in the diet plan is required. A liquid diet for some time is ideal. However, if it is not completely possible, then you could consider semi liquid meal components that are non-fatty and low-carb, essentially."

Dunno if that is true or not. If you want fats, maybe try an avacado, or some olive oil?

Originally Posted by wnc817 View Post
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/diet-...r-removal.html

"After the removal of the gall bladder, it is very essential to maintain a low carbohydrate and high protein diet. Reduction in cooking medium while tempering meats and fish helps a lot. It is also advisable to adopt six smaller meals rather than three large ones. Without the gall bladder, digestion does become difficult and hence this shift in the diet plan is required. A liquid diet for some time is ideal. However, if it is not completely possible, then you could consider semi liquid meal components that are non-fatty and low-carb, essentially."

Dunno if that is true or not. If you want fats, maybe try an avacado, or some olive oil?
    I suppose I eat a fairly low carb diet; although I don't count, so there's no knowing for sure. Regardless, I eat copious amounts of all the vegetables they say to avoid, and have no troubles whatsoever.

Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gatorbuild will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wnc817 View Post

Not sure I really agree with that wholly either, although it's only been ~4-5 months since I've had mine removed, I've picked back up body building and my diet is along the lines of 35-50-15 P-C-F at around 3400 calories a day for bulking. I seem to be doing much better following this diet and have had very few uncomfortable instances that I can think of.

Really I think the main issue is just to see how your own body is going to react to the removal, and give it time to adapt before going through the diet "testing" phase. My GI and Surgeon are both under the impression that 95% of people have no problems, either long term or short term, post gallbladder removal, and that realistically, if no problems are present, then there really should be no issues further on down the road as long as a healthy diet and lifestyle is maintained.
    God
    --------
    Mind
    --------
    Matter

chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50) chunkysnowman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey all,

know it's been a while since this thread was replied to, but I came across it in a google. search.

About a year ago I was hospitalised by a very severe gall bladder attack that, like John, left me in tears curled up in a ball. The pain went right through to my back like I'd been harpooned. Really really the worst thing I'd ever experienced; and this coming from a guy who has recovered from brain tumour surgery. An ultrasound revealed multiple stones and the fluid in the GB was very thick.

They advised me that my GB should be removed, but I refued. I was convinced that if I cleaned up my diet, watched what I ate, changed my lifestyle then there was no need to have it removed. For the whole, I was actually right. Since I've had that initial attack (and several smaller ones prior to it) I havent experienced a single twitch of pain...until last night.

I went to bed fine (funny how my attacks always occur after I go to bed), but woke up about 30 minutes later with the all too familiar feelings on the right side of my lower chest, and through to my back. Luckily it went away after about an hour, but its sudden reappearance has made me worried. I started thinking about what I'm doing differently recently....after all I've had nothing from my GB in over a year, so it must be something I've changed in my diet recently right?

It was always things like bacon and beefburgers that brought it on before.....highly processed meats in other words. I've not had bacon or a burger for a long long time now. I try and limit how much red meat I have, and when I do eat it I try and buy lean cuts with no fat. I also cut out ALL confectionary and pudding desserts, basically nothing sweet for me except low fat greek yog.

The only things that have changed about my diet recently are that I'm drinking a little more coffee than I have previously, and I've started drinking a large glass of freshly juiced juice from apples and pears. I'm wondering if it is the fruit juice that is the culprit?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has GB problems but has also opted not to have it removed.

chrisabe11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys, Im new to the site. I too had my GB removed and i am finally getting back to the gym. Can i still take pre work and post work out suplpements? please let me know... thanks...

Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Edge101 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chrisabe11 View Post
    Hey guys, Im new to the site. I too had my GB removed and i am finally getting back to the gym. Can i still take pre work and post work out suplpements? please let me know... thanks...
    Have had mine out for years. I take C4,OEP,and Recreate Pre workout and just do a whey shake afterwards and I have had no problems.

chrisabe11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, i was wondering because people tell me that i can not take pre work out supplements....something about my body not bein able to process like normal people. But you have taken that and no problems huh ??? thanks i will try it out....

StuShifty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to hear other people's experiences. I just got my gallbladder out 9 weeks ago, how long before you were back in the gym? What kind of exercises did you do/stay away from? Did you experience any soreness around the incision sites from working out?

chichibear has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I came across this thread while researching some problems with pain in the area where my liver is located. I too woke up in the middle of the night with what felt like I was being stabbed in the lower right rib cage. It is painful to take a deep breath. I have no other symptoms besides pain. The doctor ordered every test in the book and I'm waiting to hear back. The only thing the techs let slip is that it seems that I was born without a gallbladder. This stuns me because I have NEVER had a problem digesting anything and have always thought of myself having an iron stomach. I am very sensitive to alcohol though and will barf if I go over the thin line of buzzed vs. too much to drink. Anyone else out there born without a gallbladder?

LordHess has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good to Know

Its really nice to know others are living with the same issue's. Thought I was a lone for a long time. Your comments make me remember the pain "belly over cramps", what to eat, how much,where, is a restroom close by...
    I was 17 when I had my removal. Heathy muscluar 152Lbs, doctors told me for two years it was IBS till my mother called BS and they finally done a ultrasound. Sure enough seen I had stones. We chalked it up to my drinking gallons of Milk and taking tons of Creatine which back then it wasnt as broke down, You had to take 20 capsoles before and after workout for loading phase, anyways it was horrible. Now 11years down the road I had to keep a food journal for years and Like another post said "if it isnt natural dont eat it!" The reason I found this Thread is because I bought some of the new age creatine and had issues, I think that is why when I try some pre-work out mix, I dont handle them well. I was wondering if anyone eles has that problem...? or is on a creatine cycle?

Like I have posted I've been down this road for a long time its costed me Education&Career's till I got a handle on it. so feel free to contact me if you have any questions or tips to share
    remeber food is food but stress dictates all
    "Live Long and Prosper"
    "If you dress for success you'll only get the best"
    J.L.Hess

sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sla07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by johnpagnolo View Post
    It got os bad that I was curled up in the fetal position crying and had to be taken to the hospital.
    thats how i ended up with my first gall bladder attack...in the corner, curled up in the fetal position, when the rescue picked me up lol..it sucked...

had my gb removed in 2007...the main things that affect me are sauces that are not fresh...so, i usually just order the sauce on the side, unless i make it myself or someone in my family is making it....other than that, eating regular foods doesnt really affect me any...when a food does affect me...im off to the bathroom rather quickly lol :/

davidauge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No more gallbladder...

So I had my first gallbladder incident that landed me in the ER and I passed the gallstones naturally. The surgeon told me to call him when the symptoms were to come back to call him. Sure enough, the symptoms came back last Monday (12/16) and after enduring the gallstones, the gallbladder came out on Sunday (12/22).

Apparently Creatine can cause gallstones...whatevez, not taking that anymore. That being said, I'm going to be slow to return to supplements, I was on Animal Pak. While going through initial recovery, everything I eat or drink (even water) gives me some sort of gas...mostly acid reflux. I'm using this as the straw that broke the camel's back to seriously focus on a healthy diet (probably avoid milk altogether and really lower my intake of grains...anyone have any advice on how to do it right as far as dieting without a gallbadder?

What about lifting...how long did it take to get back to lifting actual weights, and doing cardio...I have four holes healing in my abdomen as I'm sure you all have as well...thx
    Anonymous - Never trust a private with a loaded weapon, or an officer with a map.

muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) muruku has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I started walking 3-4 miles a day after the OP. Started running on the 3rd day. Easy 2-3miles, low effort. Stayed clear of load bearing exercises till the stitches fully healed and there was no longer any tenderness around my abdo, took ~3 weeks. Started with bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, push-ups etc ), before moving on to regular BB and DB work. After asking doc's permission!
    You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.
    � Jerry West �
    How to Upgrade Your Life: A Primer On Diet And Fitness
    https://guavarilla.wordpress.com/fitness-guide/

Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Svenne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    A removed gallbladder will not affect the metabolism, right?

i3igNasty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Svenne View Post
    A removed gallbladder will not affect the metabolism, right?
    The way that it was explained to me is this-

Your gall bladder "stored" bile(stuff that dissolves the food while its in the stomach). Once you have a meal, your gall bladder releases a bunch of bile to combat the food intake.

Without the gall bladder, you have nothing to store bile, and thus when you eat a meal...you don't have a large amount of bile to drop on the food. So essentially, your metabolism doesn't necessarily change, however your stomach will not process the food nearly as effective.

Since your gall bladder is gone, you have a constant drip of smaller amounts of bile, rather than the big drop during a meal. Ultimately, this is why its better to eat 6 smaller meals throughout the day, rather than 3 large meals.

My own story:

I was 24, ended up in the hospital with multiple kidney stones. A month later, while working, I had a really bad "curled up fetus" pain in my stomach and thought it was just another kidney stone. I eventually started throwing up from the pain and attempted to drive to the hospital. I made it about half way and had to call for my help.

After going through an initial scan and analysis, the doctors realized that I had a gall stone blocking my pancreas and had developed pancreitis in a small amount of time. (My pancreas had no way of releasing the acid that it stores so it was eating itself away).

Had to go no-food, no-drink for 4 days (thurs-sun) and had surgery mid-day monday. I was able to eat solids within 48 hours and it was about 90 days before I was back on supps.

I developed the stone due to irregular weight loss. I went from 352, down to 269lbs in 6 months or so. Since my operation, I've gained 50lbs. I'm not sure if it's my diet, my career change, or metabolism changes from the removal of the organ.

mttyd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys I posted this on another thread. Thought it would be helpful here too. Interested to hear if any of you are having the same symptoms/issues as me after getting yours removed or if you tried any of the solutions below.

After over 1 year of lifting, cleaning up diet and giving up alcohol my body is extremely slow to give up its fat.

I'm going to start experimenting a little on myself after putting together a few clues:

- Gall Bladder removed (about 10 yrs ago)
    - Extremely Low LDL and HDL cholesterol
    - Extremely low vitamin D
    - Insulin resistance (dark thick skin spots on neck, skin tags, "puffy" look)
    - Greasy fatty poo (sorry for being graphic) this is common for post GB

After doing some reading one article I found (sorry no link) stated that many people steer away from fats due to bowel issues after GB surgery. They said this was a mistake as the body can't digest them well after GB removal.

Fats help boost testosterone and not having them in your diet may harm test levels (haven't tested myself).

Fat soluble vitamins like D need dietary fat to be absorbed and I also believe vitamin D is helpful in weight loss

From the research I found online there were a few suggestions:

- Take digestive enzymes
    - Take bile salts
    - Take liver tonic (herbs like dandelion)
    - They also said bitter or sour tasting things help promote bile creation

The goal here is creating more bile since you no longer have a mechanism to store it (gall bladder)

Apparently not dealing with this problem can actually cause a condition called "fatty liver" which lists insulin resistance in its symptoms...

Hope this helps someone. I'm going to order some of the above mentioned supplements tonight and start my experiment of one. If this topic interests you please friend me on Body space. I'd love to hear what others are experiencing.

JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JoeTinpan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have done enough research on this topic on the internet AND through trial and error.

#1. We have to look into using olive oil/coconut oil/avocado oil when cooking. Coconut oil can't be used with high heat so you may need to use one of the other two. This is how to get healthy fats back into our diets.

#2. Look into MCT Oil. Its "medium chain triglycerides". Your body doesn't need to make anymore bile to absorb this. It's a lot of saturated fat BUT, so are the 3 oils mentioned above.

#3. Gotta take a vitamin D3 supplement. Same vitamin D that comes from the sun, or thats the way it was explained to me. Your body doesn't need bile for this either. If you live somewhere with sunny weather (Florida/California/Arizona), make sure you go and sit in the sun for at least 30 minutes a week.

#4. This one sucks, but it has to be done....alcohol intake must be cut down to an absolute minimum. You should actually consider giving up drinking period.

I've gotten into the habit of looking at my feces everytime I drop a deuce. It sounds sick, but we kind of have to in the situation we are in. If its greasy and fatty looking, that means you got a lot of poor quality fats that passed through you quick.
    If its any shade of green, there is a lot of malabsorption going on. Again, this passed through your body too quickly.

Try using lemon on everything. Including squeezing lemon into your water. Its this new "fad" but realistically, its been around for years. I had my gallbladder removed in 2009 and my doctor told me to eat bitter things like lemon to aid the liver in creating bile. Boiling the lemon in your tea/water is great because it squeezes as much juice as possible out of it. You can also purchase Natural Bitters at vitamin stores for a reasonable price.

Domyank5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

working out after gal bladder removal...??

it's been about 15 days out since my surgery... how much longer should I wait?

Domyank5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chrisabe11 View Post
    How long did it take for you to get back into the gym?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Domyank5 View Post
    it's been about 15 days out since my surgery... how much longer should I wait?
    Your surgeon will be a far better source of answers than a 6-year-old forum thread.

Good luck.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733