.Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10) .Zaher. is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Why do so many pts

neglect to mention anything regarding diet and nutrition to their clients??
    More Sex and Violence Please

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Most will tell their clients to maintain a healthy diet; however, a PT cannot really give out dieting advice due to liability issues. It is outside of a PT's scope of practice to give out dieting advice, that is a dietitian's job and in certain states can get a PT in trouble if they do so.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Lasharm View Post
    Most will tell their clients to maintain a healthy diet; however, a PT cannot really give out dieting advice due to liability issues. It is outside of a PT's scope of practice to give out dieting advice, that is a dietitian's job and in certain states can get a PT in trouble if they do so.
    This is true, but a trainer can give basic advice on diet, but some are clueless about it themselves. A trainer can't write up a specific in depth diet plan for a client unless, he/she is licensed to do so. On the other hand i see gyms that have some type of computer meal plan that is automatically generated by software to hand to a client. I don't know the specifics, but that's what i heard. Hopefully trainers that provide this type of meal plan can answer any questions regarding the plan, by the client. They look really stupid if they can't

I feel every trainer should also take up some type of nutrition, which gives them more to offer to a client than just a workout alone.
    Last edited by MVP; 12-21-2009 at 04:09 PM.
    Mastering Yourself Makes You Fearless

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Those meal plans that some gyms print out are premade by dietitians with little to no customization and are not client specific. Most are very generic guides which just promote portion control and avoiding junk food. Heck, I've seen some programs which print out pretty much a food pyramid and a list of recipes from Muscle&Fitness magazine...
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    I give out a bunch of nutritional information.
    We are allowed to at my gym.

But yea, most places its a liability issue. So telling someone to avoid pop is alright.
    The importance of protein, etc etc

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's scope of practice, but it's also a matter of futility. You can control what a client does in the gym, you can't control what they do the other 165 hours a week. And they will lie to you about their diet and exercise. "I hardly ever eat junk food... I quit smoking... almost no booze..."
    "Awesome, well done, here's a meal plan you'll never follow."
    "Thanks! I'll follow it to the gram, honest!"

Better just to deal with what you can control, their workout.

Original Neanderthal theapexxxx's Avatar
    theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000) theapexxxx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    It's scope of practice, but it's also a matter of futility. You can control what a client does in the gym, you can't control what they do the other 165 hours a week. And they will lie to you about their diet and exercise. "I hardly ever eat junk food... I quit smoking... almost no booze..."
    "Awesome, well done, here's a meal plan you'll never follow."
    "Thanks! I'll follow it to the gram, honest!"

Better just to deal with what you can control, their workout.
    And they still dont lose any weight.
    At that point you refuse to train them unless they smarten up!

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This is where you should try and get at least the MINIMUM type of cert that you need to provide such advice OR team up with a dietitian that is like minded to you in regards to philosophies (VERY IMPORTANT).

If you can do that, you can market yourself as being able to give exercise AND nutritional advice......that will set you out from the crowd.

Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000) Mr.ILL is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have my clients track everything on fitday.com and find a macronutrient ratio and calorie count that works for them.
    A.C.E Certified Personal Trainer
    N.E.S.T.A Fitness Nutrition Coach

HOMER: [holds Lisa's suitcase] Somebody's traveling light.
    LISA: Meh. Maybe you're just getting stronger.
    HOMER: Well, I have been eating more.

Squat:560-Raw 565-wraps
    Bench:365-Raw
    Deadlift:555-Raw
    Front Squat-405x2(Raw) 465x1(Wraps)

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mr.ILL View Post
    I have my clients track everything on fitday.com and find a macronutrient ratio and calorie count that works for them.
    the problem with that is that THEY have to find it. if you were able to help them and give them a "SAMPLE" (wink wink) ratio and count to followm your service would be more complete

Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Exa123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jules_d1 View Post
    the problem with that is that THEY have to find it. if you were able to help them and give them a "SAMPLE" (wink wink) ratio and count to followm your service would be more complete
    Also another important tool to have is to know HOW to adjust macros when fat/weight loss stalls and WHEN to adjust them. Doing it in a way where it still leads to a balanced lifestyle as well as ensuring they are making progress
    Stay humble. I will never see myself as even an above average bodybuilder. Regardless of how many shows you win, stay grounded and aim for improvement.

-Brian Whitacre