ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How many Protein Shakes a day?

I was kicking back today and I got to thinking... if I took as many protein drinks as recommended by all the various sources (pick one) It would be a lot of protein:

1. First thing when you wake up - because your body is devouring your muscles because of an all night 8 hour 'fast' hurry your loosing muscle!!

2. PreWorkout - Your body is going to need fuel as your breaking down tissue

3. PostWorkout - The precious 'window' is open for only a short while, if you miss it you may miss out on muscle gains

4. Before Sleep - You don't want your muscles to go without building blocks... 8 hours is a long time!!

5. between meals throughout the day because if your going to build muscle you should consistently have protein available...

ok so maybe not the in between meals... but even still 4 shakes a day is a little crazy and i can't help but think that i'm beating my liver and kidneys into submission and sealing an early fate.

I welcome your viewpoint.
    If you have a question or comment about my post... pm me, i will be happy to explain.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
    http://anomoly.wordpress.com
    If you do not work on and expose your weaknesses, your competition will.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ImBIGGERThanU View Post
    If trying to add actual, lean muscle and 100% healthy I'd consume as much protein from quality sources as my stomach can tolerate along with proper bodybuilding / athlete level hydration.... yes, aiming high.

Shakes are simply convenient and the cheapest source of complete protein per gram. That's about it... it's not the 1.56666 gram per lb conspiracy that many 150lb bros make it out to be.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Another side is that if you were doing that many shakes, they need not be "full" shakes. Esp since as much protein, etc as possible should be from real food.

The morning could easily be a half serving with milk.

I dont particularly want protein as fuel, so I dont want it directly pre-workout, but a 'full' shake may not be as pleasant there either. Or kind of combining the pre-workout and mid-day shake.

CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CCAurora has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I drink one first thing in the morning if I know I won't be eating right away, one after a workout, and one at night with some good fats... truth be told, that's two too many (ESPECIALLY the night time one!), but its my crutch to get enough protein. My diet needs work!

Remember to consider the source of your information - ever wonder why the only references for "3 shakes per day" root back to the label on the jug of protein? They want you to rely on their powder for protein so you buy more of it. Its not destructive to your body, just to your wallet.

homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100) homerunrbi is not very well liked. (-100)
    125 grams of protein a day from shakes? I do 2 scoops post-workout and 1 caesin before bed and I think thats a good balance.

_Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) _Translucency is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ImBIGGERThanU View Post
    I was kicking back today and I got to thinking... if I took as many protein drinks as recommended by all the various sources (pick one) It would be a lot of protein:

1. First thing when you wake up - because your body is devouring your muscles because of an all night 8 hour 'fast' hurry your loosing muscle!!

2. PreWorkout - Your body is going to need fuel as your breaking down tissue

3. PostWorkout - The precious 'window' is open for only a short while, if you miss it you may miss out on muscle gains

4. Before Sleep - You don't want your muscles to go without building blocks... 8 hours is a long time!!

5. between meals throughout the day because if your going to build muscle you should consistently have protein available...

ok so maybe not the in between meals... but even still 4 shakes a day is a little crazy and i can't help but think that i'm beating my liver and kidneys into submission and sealing an early fate.

That many protein shakes daily is simply unnecessary. To put it bluntly, protein shakes, as is the case with the rest of supplements, are simply not necessary and are a matter of convenience. I always did my best to get my protein and the remainder of my macronutrients from quality whole food sources.

I suggest consuming a protein shake post-workout and whenever else you deem it necessary, as a whole food meal may not be an option.

moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From everything I've heard from trusted sources, if you want to grow you need to eat, eat, eat. I agree with everyone here who says a few of the daily shakes are simply a convenience factor. I mean, I can't afford to prepare 3 complete meals each morning to consume at work. If you can, go ahead and cut back on the number of shakes. Prepare a chicken/vegetable, fish/vegetable and whole wheat sandwich with turkey and eat these throughout the day.

The people who commented are correct in saying its a cheaper and more convenient way to get your macros if you are having trouble eating as much as you need to eat in order to grow.

Mix it up too... in terms of shakes, Oats in the AM, a good blend in between and Casein at night.

Also, I've heard the most crucial window is 3 hours after working out so make sure (whether it be from a meal or a shake) your body is well equipped with Protein and Aminos.

Keep in mind too, these companies are claiming results with their products. If they are effective, of course they want you to have the best results as possible. It's impossible to ignore their financial interests as well though.
    Last edited by moxinyourbox; 12-11-2009 at 02:26 AM.

xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xStevenx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    get your protein from actual food. have like a shake a day
    Type 1 Diabetic - Since age 15
    Luke 1:37 "For NOTHING is impossible with God"

INSTAGRAM: StevenGFH Follow me!

*ALLMAX NUTRITION REP*

ALLMAX Nutrition, Inc.
    SCIENCE - INNOVATION - QUALITY - RESULTS
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/all/all.htm

Disclaimer: All forum or bulletin board posts are solely the opinion of myself and do not necessarily reflect the views of ALLMAX

ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ewolf2 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I like to have a shake in the morning and one postworkout. For me anymore than that is unnnessary.

Bombs, Bu11ets, & Blood TWiztid7's Avatar
    TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000) TWiztid7 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have 3 max. I workout early so my morning shake is my post wo shake and I also have food. Then I have a midmorning meal, lunch, another shake mid-afternoon, dinner and a pre-bed casein shake. 6 meals, 2 of them are shake only.
    ~Pics or negs~

[[DCA]]

moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50) moxinyourbox will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just about sums me up too...

Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I normally have anywhere between 1 and 3 a day. Most of the times it is 2... one first thing in the morning (4am) and another before bed (8pm). I'm not even totally sure how much protein I put away in a day. Since I'm on a bulk I've been drinking more milk and eating more red meats than I usually do.

I also don't go by that 2g/1lb that most people throw out there. I normally just try to get around 1g for every pound or close to it. Gotta remember a protein shake is a supplement, only use it to supplement what you are unable to get that given day.

tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tmertz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm drinking mine with fish oil when i wake up, pre-workout and after workout.
    Drunk at 3am on a Thursday crew.

Say something nice in my CP get something nice back ;)

VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500) VVolfgang is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    first thing in the morning: probably a good idea

before workout: eat carbs instead

after workout: good idea

before bed: eat a handful of nuts or something instead

conclusion: 1-2 scoops per day is all you'll need. more than one scoop if you're making a blended shake is kind of redundant, since you're getting lots of protein from the milk, oats, peanut butter etc. that you put in with it.

ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImBIGGERThanU has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by VVolfgang View Post
    first thing in the morning: probably a good idea

before workout: eat carbs instead

after workout: good idea

before bed: eat a handful of nuts or something instead

conclusion: 1-2 scoops per day is all you'll need. more than one scoop if you're making a blended shake is kind of redundant, since you're getting lots of protein from the milk, oats, peanut butter etc. that you put in with it.
    Some interesting ideas in this thread thus far.
    If you have a question or comment about my post... pm me, i will be happy to explain.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step...
    http://anomoly.wordpress.com
    If you do not work on and expose your weaknesses, your competition will.

left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) left_hook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I usually do one in the morning, one post workout and one before bed. Although I have been tempted to drink more since this banana cream UP 2.0 is just amazing tasting.

dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dopamine72 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    depends on how many grams of protein are in each serving, I think most have around 25g. I take around a day, and in the middle of the night when I get up to take a piss I have a pre made casien shake waiting for me to down at like 3am.

Example.

morning-whey shake

pre workout-whey

post workout-whey

before bed-casien

3am piss-casien

125g total of shakes, sometimes ill skip the night time shake so 100g average.

I lift 5-6 times a week though and have at least 3 full body balls to the wall sessions, so I need my extra protein. Yes my diet is in check I eat a **** load of real clean food as well. I think a 50 pound gain in 1 year 7 months with my upper 4 abs still visable shows me extra protein helps.
    Last edited by dopamine72; 12-13-2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139898123&page=240