Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)

Question Question for anyone who has had Hernia surgery in the past

I had hernia surgery about a year ago. Has anyone who has had the surgery gotten any pain this long after the surgery in the spot? It hasn't reopened, but I am getting occasional more discomfort then pain in the area where the original pain was. It isn't all the time but occasionally after a heavy ab workout for a day or 2 and sometimes after heavy squats and deads. I guess I am just looking for some feedback cause its a little disconcerting. Thanks.

jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jasonmille2002 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bigvin73 View Post
    I had hernia surgery about a year ago. Has anyone who has had the surgery gotten any pain this long after the surgery in the spot? It hasn't reopened, but I am getting occasional more discomfort then pain in the area where the original pain was. It isn't all the time but occasionally after a heavy ab workout for a day or 2 and sometimes after heavy squats and deads. I guess I am just looking for some feedback cause its a little disconcerting. Thanks.
    I had ingrinal hernia surgery in Sept of 2006. I had the old conventional cutting way of doing it. They put in the mesh. I waited my six weeks before I did anything. When I started To train again It hurt for quite a few months after. It still is a little tender, when squatting over 400 lbs. Some ab work is still uncomfortable. It is not super bad but I have learned to live with it and work around it.
    ANy more questions ask.
    Jason
    www.cellucor.com
    Director of Military GNC Sales and Marketing
    Cellucor

bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000) bigvin73 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jasonmille2002 View Post
    I had ingrinal hernia surgery in Sept of 2006. I had the old conventional cutting way of doing it. They put in the mesh. I waited my six weeks before I did anything. When I started To train again It hurt for quite a few months after. It still is a little tender, when squatting over 400 lbs. Some ab work is still uncomfortable. It is not super bad but I have learned to live with it and work around it.
    ANy more questions ask.
    Jason
    Thanks for the responce was just wondering if it was just me or if it was common.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I had one a few years agao and I get some pain there once in a while.

I think its just scar tissue. When it first happened I was in the hole on squats when trying to set a 1rm. It freaked me out so I dropped the bar on the safeties and in the process twisted my back.

I walked it off after feeling around in there and determining it was nothing but a stitch and completed the lift with a sore back.

I also had mu gall bladder taken out with the big scar and that hurts every once in a while too.

I dont think its anything to freak out over.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10) MortalStone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had hernia surgery nearly 20 years ago, and I still occasionally get some mild pain in that area with heavy ab workouts.

I'd think some mild pain or discomfort is normal, but be careful you don't push it too much.

And (the usual advice) you might want to check with your doctor if you're concerned about it.

Originally Posted by MortalStone View Post
    I had hernia surgery nearly 20 years ago, and I still occasionally get some mild pain in that area with heavy ab workouts.

I'd think some mild pain or discomfort is normal, but be careful you don't push it too much.

And (the usual advice) you might want to check with your doctor if you're concerned about it.
    Thanks guys. Doc said it was scare tissue most likely and nothing to worry about just wondered how long this would be an issue cause it is kind of a pain in the butt. My pain area was not in a great spot (just to the left of the sack up high) so it really can interfer with things if you get the drift.....

kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10) kostasthai is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i had the laparoscopic one just 2 years ago on the day and i cannot say i feel it at all. On the other side i did not have any pain before the surgery, just the lump there. it all became normal when I started lifting 3 months later. while inactive those 3 months after i was feeling it but it went away afterwards. I compare sides and sometimes my non operated side is strained so i think it is all in the mind if the pain comes and goes. Scar tissue, nerve regrowth, nerve entrapment, if it is there, it is there, no waxing and waning. if you are not happy ask ur dr again and again, get an mri. one other thing is adding muscle in that area. i still imagine that i got the hernia after 3 years of only cardio.

J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    I had one a few years agao and I get some pain there once in a while.
    ^^^^ this, me too.
    Jeff

"Over 40 Transformation Of The Week February 2010"
    www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over-40-transformation-jeff-hodges.htm

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    On the other extreme I had abdominal wall reconstruction - multiple ventral hernia repair - several years ago. The Surgeon said my abdominal wall was like swiss cheese, as he repaired over a dozen defects. He told me to never again directly work my abs. I generally do only very light ab workouts, but never have any unusual pain.
    Overweight and arrogant

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post
    On the other extreme I had abdominal wall reconstruction - multiple ventral hernia repair - several years ago. The Surgeon said my abdominal wall was like swiss cheese, as he repaired over a dozen defects. He told me to never again directly work my abs. I generally do only very light ab workouts, but never have any unusual pain.

wow...that sounds like a good time...

I had one almost 14 years ago. Pulled my car out of a snow bank during the Blizzard of '96. Spent 2 days walking around bleeding from my naval and feeling nauseus before I went to the hospital to see what the problem was.

Fortunately, never had any further issues after it was repaired.

beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm concerned I have a hernia (inguinal maybe). Think I did it doing deads a few months ago and it has gotten progressively worse. I don't have any kind of a bulge or anything but the other symptoms (pain, burning sensation down into the groin, etc.) sound spot on. I'm going to the Dr. on Monday to get it checked out.

For those of you that have had them fixed, how long were you unable to train (lifting and cardio).

Sorry to hi-jack.

Originally Posted by beancntr View Post
    I'm concerned I have a hernia (inguinal maybe). Think I did it doing deads a few months ago and it has gotten progressively worse. I don't have any kind of a bulge or anything but the other symptoms (pain, burning sensation down into the groin, etc.) sound spot on. I'm going to the Dr. on Monday to get it checked out.

For those of you that have had them fixed, how long were you unable to train (lifting and cardio).

Sorry to hi-jack.
    No worries on the hi-jack I got my answers )

I was told 6 weeks before heavy weights I took 8 I did not want the anesticia again, I really did not like that shiit. The surgery was not to bad, just had holes in my stomach for a bit cause they did mine laproscopic. I probably could have gone and done cardio after 2 weeks if I wanted to push it bye then I had no real discomfort

beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) beancntr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No worries on the hi-jack I got my answers )

I was told 6 weeks before heavy weights I took 8 I did not want the anesticia again, I really did not like that shiit. The surgery was not to bad, just had holes in my stomach for a bit cause they did mine laproscopic. I probably could have gone and done cardio after 2 weeks if I wanted to push it bye then I had no real discomfort
    Thanks for the info. 6 weeks sucks but I was afraid it was like 3 months or longer. A little time off from heavy weights would probably be good for my aching shoulder, knee, hip, back, etc, etc. Hopefully I can at least do some cardio and body weight stuff after a couple of weeks.

Thanks again.

culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50) culican will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had hernia surgery in Jan 1992. I still get discomfort in the area from time to time. Asked my doc about it just last year and he said that it was because of scar tissue and would probably always happen.

AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey guys. so I had my inguinal hernia repair via mesh done about 24hrs ago. Pain is pretty bad trying to sit or stand. How the hell do I take a shi*? I feel like there's 3 lbs of crap inside that needs to come out but the slightest abdominal pressure (even from a light cough) hurts like a biiiach!!!!
    If you want drastic results you need to take drastic measures.

Originally Posted by AnthonyBishop View Post
    Hey guys. so I had my inguinal hernia repair via mesh done about 24hrs ago. Pain is pretty bad trying to sit or stand. How the hell do I take a shi*? I feel like there's 3 lbs of crap inside that needs to come out but the slightest abdominal pressure (even from a light cough) hurts like a biiiach!!!!
    I had about 3 days like this before I could do much of anything. I found walking around, while it took something out of me helped me feel better. The more immobile you stay the worse it feels. Take the pain killers and sleep when you can and when you can't try and move a bit just don't over due it. GL

AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had about 3 days like this before I could do much of anything. I found walking around, while it took something out of me helped me feel better. The more immobile you stay the worse it feels. Take the pain killers and sleep when you can and when you can't try and move a bit just don't over due it. GL
    thx man. im taking trips out the the kitchen and back to my bed quite often. How about taking a crap though? How many days after surgery were u able to?

I think I dropped deuce the next morning but man I was scared and it took like 30 min bring good reading material, pushing hurt so I had to temper my effort.

I appologize for the visuals this responce might lead to.

I think I dropped deuce the next morning but man I was scared and it took like 30 min bring good reading material, pushing hurt so I had to temper my effort.

I appologize for the visuals this responce might lead to.
    lol. Nah its cool man. I threw back like 15 grams of psyllium husk with about 40 oz of H20 and its really making the process a lot easier.

But yea, any abdominal pressure hurts like crazy.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    lol. Nah its cool man. I threw back like 15 grams of psyllium husk with about 40 oz of H20 and its really making the process a lot easier.

But yea, any abdominal pressure hurts like crazy.

I was just about to recommend some fiber. I had my 2nd hernia repaired a year ago last week. I fell two weeks later, long story, and am sure that I tore it again. Since mine was the incision and mesh, things seem to be keeping in place. A little discomfort every once in a while, but nothing too serious. Decided that I would not go back to the surgeon until it was inhibiting my training.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50) J.Ho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The worst part about mine was about 2 weeks after when the Dr. took the tape off the incision. I had a bad reaction to the adhesive and it was like the incision had open nerve endings. They ached so bad it was excruciating pain for days. If you have the tape beware!
    Jeff

"Over 40 Transformation Of The Week February 2010"
    www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over-40-transformation-jeff-hodges.htm

Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    I was just about to recommend some fiber. I had my 2nd hernia repaired a year ago last week. I fell two weeks later, long story, and am sure that I tore it again. Since mine was the incision and mesh, things seem to be keeping in place. A little discomfort every once in a while, but nothing too serious. Decided that I would not go back to the surgeon until it was inhibiting my training.
    so you think that the mesh became detached after the fall?

Originally Posted by J.Ho View Post
    The worst part about mine was about 2 weeks after when the Dr. took the tape off the incision. I had a bad reaction to the adhesive and it was like the incision had open nerve endings. They ached so bad it was excruciating pain for days. If you have the tape beware!
    They gave me the stitches underneath the skin then topped the whole thing off with some type of surgical glue. But its as if I can feel the mesh inside touching nerve endings or something cause certain movements give me that "pinching-burning" sensation rather than just an intense ache.

The RN/Doc told me the glue will wear off and the stitches will dissolve. How are you doing now btw? back to 100%?

Jordino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I had one when I was young. Can't remember much about it.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so you think that the mesh became detached after the fall?
    I do not think the mesh came detached. I do think the muscle repair did slightly tear again, mesh is holding in place. I have heard that repairing a mesh procedure is horrible, especially if there has been time for tissue/ scar growth.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wind Dancer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face My 2 cents worth

I'm not good with the medical names for the surgery but I have had a hernia repair with the mesh on the left side groin about 25 years ago and it still tingles once in awhile...sometimes itches too. About 7 years ago I also had a small one in the belly button and so far it's never bothered me any. My guess is you just have scar tissue. If that's the problem it's not likely to ever go away.

tarlox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thx man. im taking trips out the the kitchen and back to my bed quite often. How about taking a crap though? How many days after surgery were u able to?
    It took me 7 days.... I think the pain killers i was taking made me constipated. When it finally happened it was the longest and most satisfying crap ive ever had. :-)

IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IronKarate1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Hernia

I had Umbilical Hernia surgery about 2 years ago and it still bothers me every now and then. The doc said most likely scar tissue as well. On a positive note for me this surgery was a bit of a wake up call. I tipped the scale at 220 at the time.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    I do not think the mesh came detached. I do think the muscle repair did slightly tear again, mesh is holding in place. I have heard that repairing a mesh procedure is horrible, especially if there has been time for tissue/ scar growth.
    I had a direct repair which came detached. To answer the OP I still have discomfort from time to time on my right side, (in fact I've missed 2 days of wkouts right now due to it ) but after having 2 direct repairs and 1 indirect on that side the scar tissue is significant and ocassionally I strain it and bam I'm out of commission for a couple days.
    Was friends with Methuselah

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    Good old Phillips Milk of Magnesia, baby! That's how I managed after having my gall bladder out the old fashioned way (3.5-inch abdominal incision) recently. The narcotics you take for pain can indeed make you constipated, and the last thing you need is to be straining to poo. MoM definitely does the trick, however.
    Overweight and arrogant

JohnHay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey guys I had my hernia surgery done about a year from today. I waited the recommended 6 - 8 weeks before working out again. That was in March of 2011, that summer I was working outdoors and lifted a heavy log and remember an intense sharp pain a little to the right of my original hernia but not much further. It's been almost 6 months now since that event and I am still having a lot of pain and discomfort. I have had an ultra sound done, Cat scan, and an XRay but the docs have found nothing. I have come to the realization that it is probably scar tissue but if any of you have any story similar to mine that would be reassuring. I will be enlisting in the near future so I can't imagine the pain getting any better.