thejonesman4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower Body excercise questions

ok i just wanted to be cleared up on a few things here....... i dont understand how my leg press max is 615 lbs for a 5 rep and when i do squats i can only do 225 for a 5 or 6 rep , maybe 7 if im on a good day. i already know about the stabalizer muscles that are a huge factor in the difference of strength , but is it really that huge of a factor to knock off 400 lbs off of it!! also which out of these are the better of the two for over all strength? im mainly an upper body athlete but i always keep leg days in my schedule..... any advice critism and critique are welcome...........

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If the leg press is at an angle, then you are not working completely against gravity. This means the weight will be easier to move (potentially much easier, depending on the angle) than if you were moving it straight up from the floor. Also, your range of motion on the leg press might not be as full as it is during your squats. No big deal either way. Just keep your form consistent and aim to make progression with the weight/reps.

zrodtx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thejonesman4 View Post
    ok i just wanted to be cleared up on a few things here....... i dont understand how my leg press max is 615 lbs for a 5 rep and when i do squats i can only do 225 for a 5 or 6 rep , maybe 7 if im on a good day. i already know about the stabalizer muscles that are a huge factor in the difference of strength , but is it really that huge of a factor to knock off 400 lbs off of it!! also which out of these are the better of the two for over all strength? im mainly an upper body athlete but i always keep leg days in my schedule..... any advice critism and critique are welcome...........
    It is very common for people to leg press double or more of what they squat. Its just a lot easier of an exercise with less muscles involved.

Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Juststrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Leg press and Squats are two completely different things. Its like says i can curl 150lb barbell but i cant do one full chin up.

I know plenty of guys that can leg press 8-9 plates from reps and cant full squat 315 or even 295.

Squat is a full body movement where as the leg press is not.
    =========================================
    (Current raw NASA meet lifts)

(Squat) - 460lbs
    ------------------------------
    (Bench) - 347lbs
    ------------------------------
    (Deadlift) - 507lbs