Closed Thread
Page 1 of 314 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Bo Flecks' Training Lean and Power Density Experiment

Goal

I want to see if I can gain 5lbs of lean mass this winter without adding any fat. Right now I'm at 175lbs at 6.45% BF. I want to be at 180lbs and still under 7% by summer.

Background

Over the past two years I have followed a very common training cycle of bulking in the fall and winter, then cutting in the spring so I could show off my hard work throughout the summer. Typically I would run my BF% up to 12-13% for seven months of the year, spend about two months cutting, and then hold it down to 7-8% for the swimsuit season.

In doing this, I added five pounds of lean mass each year. Nothing spectacular.

Last spring, I got a late start on my cut diet. Initially, I wasn't going to cut at all, but I just couldn't stand looking soft around the mid-section with my shirt off. I decided go low carb to cut a little more quickly. After ten weeks of having no more than 20 carbs a day, I was down to 6% BF...but it was a real chore to get there.

Late in the summer, I ran across two BB.com articles that intrigued me.

The first was titled, "Skip The Bulk and Stay Shredded All Year - A Simple Approach To Nutrition!" by Stuart Schaefer:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/eating_made_simple.htm
    The article outlined how to eat just the right amount of food to grow muscle, but not gain excess fat.

The other was titled, "Arnold's #1 Get-Bigger Trigger: Power-Density Unlocks Faster Muscle Growth" by X-Rep.com:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/powe...y-training.htm
    This article outlines how to train using progressive pyramiding, followed by density chasers. According to the article, bodybuilders interested in maximum size should emphasize the 2A muscles, which are dual capacity - they have both a power and endurance component.

I have decided to train lean this year using the power-density approach to training. I will also be micro-loading my progressive pyramids. I'm going to journal about this and see how it goes.

I will follow up with specific information on the diet, workout, and supplement timing as well as measurement techniques.

Wish me luck.- Bo

Training journal progress photo (starting)
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 11-21-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Added goal-Thanks kcmoto

Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bo_Flecks has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Portion Control Diet

The idea behind the portion control principal is to be able to track your weight/BF% and easily adjust to your body's dietary needs based upon either adding or subtracting a portion of protein or a portion of carbohydrates from your six daily meals. Each meal would ideally be made up of 1 portion of protein, 1 portion of carbs, and 1 portion of vegetables.

A portion of protein would be about the size of your palm.
    A portion of carbs would be about the size of your fist.
    A portion of vegetables would be about the size of your open hand.

If you see that you are gaining unwanted fat, subtract one portion of carbs. If you are still losing weight, and you want to hold, add a portion of carbs.

An example of my current meal plan:

Meal 1
    2 eggs
    1 Bowl of Oatmeal (half cup dry)

Meal 2
    Tuna
    7 Triscuits
    half cup of almonds
    Sugar free yogurt

Meal 3
    Turkey or chicken breast on whole wheat
    Vegetables
    Apple

Meal 4 –Pre and Post Workout
    Whey protein/w water
    High glycemic juice drink
    or
    Meal 4 –Non Workout Days
    2 soft tacos-chicken or beef
    Low carb corn tortillas

Meal 5
    Meat
    Vegetable or Salad
    Complex Starchy Carb
    Sugar free Jello w/Reddi-Wip

Meal 6
    Cottage Cheese
    Steamed Vegetables

Approximate Calories: 2,500-2,750
    Carbs: 200g (42%)
    Protein: 180g (38%)
    Fats: 90g (20%)

Meals 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 are very utilitarian and consistent. Minor changes are made with different condiments, spices, adding lettuce or tomatoes, and changing the vegetable up for variety.

Meal 5 is different each day and provides the most variety, but stays within the parameters of the necessary macros and portion control.

I have been using the portion control diet for three months and have held my bodyfat around the 6% -7% range which is checked each week using digital calipers and the 7 point Jackson/Pollock caliper method with Linear tracker software.

So far, I have continued to make decent strength gains. It has been very easy with just a minimal amount of tracking.

Power-Density Training

It seems to make sense that if I only train with straight lower-rep sets, I'm only working half of the key muscle fibers' abilities. I am going to continue to pyramid up in weight on each exercise to my heaviest weight for around six reps, and then reduce the weight for two burnout sets of 15 reps each.

The method I am going to use is to do heavy sets with each exercise followed by a density chaser. An example of this would be to begin with straight sets, lower reps, and longer rest. After the heavy sets on any exercise, reduce the poundage and do two burnout sets of 15 reps with less than one minute rest between the final sets.

I will micro-load both the progressive pyramid and density chaser sets as gains are made.

The workout design I am going to use is as follows:

4 Day Split Power-Density Program 11/20/09 cycle

Saturday- Legs
    Squats 10x____ 8x____ 6x____4x ____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____

Leg Extension 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____
    Leg Curl 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____

Calf Raises 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____

Sunday- Chest/Triceps
    Wtd Chest Dips 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____
    Incline Bench 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____

Wtd Bench Dips 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____
    Decline Ext 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____
    Wide Grip Press Downs 10x____ 8x____ 6x____

Weighted Decline Crunches_______ _______ ______

Tuesday- Back/Biceps
    Wtd Pull Up 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____
    Dead Lifts 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ 4x____

4X4X4 Incline Curl____ ____ ____
    EZ Preacher 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____
    DB 180 deg Preacher 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____

Side Bends________ ________ _______

Thursday- Shoulders/Traps
    Military Press 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____
    Front Raise 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____

DB Upright Row 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____
    Bar Shrugs 10x____ 8x____ 6x____ Hi Rep 15x____ 15x____

Calf Raise-In 10x____ 8x____ 6x____

I usually change my workouts around every 8-12 weeks. I’ve been using the power-density approach for about three months and have made some decent gains. The above listed routine is the design I will use for the next 8-12 week cycle.

Supplements and Timing Schedule

With the exception of my multi, all supplements are taken in conjunction with my workouts.

1 hour before workout- 2 capsules ProMera Health Con-Cret creatine
    30 min before workout- 1 scoop Optimum 100% Whey Protein
    Immediately before workout- 10 gr Optimum Superior Amino 2222, Softgels
    Immediately after workout- 10 gr Optimum Superior Amino 2222, Softgels
    30 min after workout- 1 scoop Optimum 100% Whey Protein

3 times per day- Optimum Opti-Men, Multi Tablets

Supplement schedule based upon research quoted in: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=584191

Using this schedule, I have been pleased with my ability to recover after workouts. I've only recently gone to the Optimum Nutrition and ProMera products to see if there is any noticeable difference. I have been making decent strength gains, and recently seen some movement with that tape measure.

Current Body Stats 11/20/09

Weight 174
    Waist 31.5
    Chest 43
    Neck 16.5
    Forearm 13.25
    Thigh 22
    Calf 15
    BF% 6.45

164 lbs lean mass.

Weight and BF% are measured weekly using AccuFitness FatTrack II Digital Body Fat Caliper and the 7 point Jackson/Pollock caliper method with Linear tracker software. . Measurements are taken every other week using an AccuFitness MyoTape.

Saturday 11/20/09- Legs

Squats
    10x185*
    8x210*
    6x235*
    4x260*

Hi Rep
    15x135*
    15x135*
    (*will increase all by 5lb next week)

Leg Extension
    8x140*
    6x170*

Hi Rep
    15x100*
    15x100*

Leg Curl
    8x60
    5x70*

Hi Rep*
    12x40*
    10x40*
    (*will work to increase repetitions next week)

Calf Raises
    10x290*
    8x305*
    6x320*

Hi Rep
    15x230*
    15x230*

Squats are performed by breaking the parallel plain wearing 4? PL belt. I had to back down on weight due to rehabbing an L5S1 injury from last September. The area seems to be doing well, so I will be increasing the weight again.

Calf raises are performed in the power rack using the barbell and a calf block.

I feel like I have plenty of strength in reserve to keep increasing the weight on the squats. I just have this feeling of impending doom as the weight gets heavier due to the blow out I had in my lower back last fall squatting 315. I let my form get off a little and that is all it took.

Right now I feel like I'm paying more attention to form than I am pushing with the legs.
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 11-22-2009 at 03:46 PM.

kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000) kcmoto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good start Bo. Very interested....I have started my first "bulk" this fall. I had contemplated not doing a bulk and continue to train lean but with being in calorie deficit for so long my choice out of laziness possibly was to choose the bulk. Did I miss what your specific goals were? Weight? BF%? etc. What is your time frame? Thanks Sid. Subbed
    Ya gotta think it to believe it and ya gotta believe it to become it.

Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I really like this thread. I appreciate your sharing this information here, it makes it easier for us who are relative novices!
    I have been wanting to find an ideal "plan" for increasing and maintaining lean muscle mass, and limiting body fat %, and I think this information will definitely help me to achieve my goals.

Only one question, Bo...do you incorporate any cardio into your training? I have always thought that cardio training was quite necessary for reduction of body fat.

Again, thanks for the post!!!

Abdon

Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Abdon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    One more question, if I may...do you use any supplements? If so, which ones?
    Thanks!!!

Abdon

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Welcome and good luck with your program.
    David

Originally Posted by kcmoto View Post
    Did I miss what your specific goals were? Weight? BF%? etc. What is your time frame? Thanks Sid. Subbed
    Hey Sid,

The main thing I want to see if I can get out of this "experiment" is: Can I gain another 5lbs of lean mass this winter without adding the fat?

Right now I'm at 175ish at 6.45%. I hope to be at 180lbs and still under 7% by summer. Holding the bodyfat down is the easy part, gaining the muscle mass I want is going to be the "mystery" variable.

By the way, your calf development is making me jealous -Bo

Originally Posted by Abdon View Post
    Only one question, Bo...do you incorporate any cardio into your training? I have always thought that cardio training was quite necessary for reduction of body fat.

Again, thanks for the post!!!

Abdon
    Hey Abdon,

I was doing various amounts of cardio during the cut I did last spring and early summer. It was necessary for me to get the fat off by mid-summer given the time crunch I put myself under and cardio really sped it up.

I live in a section of Missouri that is very hilly. For cardio, I hiked the hills around my house and in some of the many parks around here. I had to make it enjoyable, because I'm not too fond of cardio.

Right now, I'm not doing any and haven't done any since July. I know...I know...there are going to be those who tell me I need to keep doing cardio, but I'm a bit of an ecto and gaining muscle has always been tough, so for now I'm going to keep the fat off through diet and weight training.

Originally Posted by Abdon View Post
    One more question, if I may...do you use any supplements? If so, which ones?
    Thanks!!!

Abdon

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Hey Abdon,

I was doing various amounts of cardio during the cut I did last spring and early summer. It was necessary for me to get the fat off by mid-summer given the time crunch I put myself under and cardio really sped it up.

I live in a section of Missouri that is very hilly. For cardio, I hiked the hills around my house and in some of the many parks around here. I had to make it enjoyable, because I'm not too fond of cardio.

Right now, I'm not doing any and haven't done any since July. I know...I know...there are going to be those who tell me I need to keep doing cardio, but I'm a bit of an ecto and gaining muscle has always been tough, so for now I'm going to keep the fat off through diet and weight training.

Thank you!!!!

Abdon

Sunday 11/22/09- Chest/Triceps

Weighted Dips
    10x75*
    8x95*
    6x115*

Hi Rep
    15x50*
    15x50*
    (*will increase all by 2 1/2 lb next week)

Incline Bench Press
    10x180*
    8x200*
    6x220*

Hi Rep
    15x140*
    15x140*

Weighted Bench Dips
    10x115*
    8x125*
    6x135*

Hi Rep
    15x95*

Decline Tricep Extensions
    10x90
    8x105
    5x120*

Hi Rep
    15x72 1/2 *
    (*will increaseby 2 1/2 lb next week)

Wide Grip Cable Press Down
    10x80*
    8x85*
    6x90*

Weighted Decline Crunches
    12xBW*
    10x10*
    8x25*
    (*will increase reps next week)

Chest Workout
    Weighted dips performed with an EverLast dip belt and adjustable dumbbells. Incline bench press performed in a TDS power rack, and IronMaster Superbench.

I expected to struggle a bit with the final heavy sets today, but I actually blew right through them. Last week the weight felt pretty heavy, but today it wasn't really a problem. I'll increase the weight on all chest sets next week. I have to watch my left RC a little bit due to a slight tweak from last winter doing heavy flat bench press.

TricepWorkout
    The weighted bench dips felt pretty easy today. I'm only going to increase the weight by 5lbs next week, but I think I could add more. I felt strong on the first two sets of decline extensions, but failed on the 6th rep of the final set. I'll try to get it next week. I'm having to weight myself down on the wide grip cable press downs to keep myself from being lifted up in the air

The tricep work I'm doing comes from Dr. Joe Klemczewski: http://www.thedietdoc.com/info-tdd.p...&nav_Parent=23
    Last edited by Bo_Flecks; 11-23-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Pre-Workout Report- Back/Biceps

Back
    I'm looking forward to my back workout tonight. I got a new set of Versa Gripps Pro that are really helping me with my grip on the weighted pull ups. The straps were working okay for this, but the Versa Gripps make it a whole lot more comfortable, and allow me to concentrate nearly 100% on my lats pulling, rather than my hands.

I'm also enjoying doing deadlifts again and really pleased with the current health of my lower back (L5S1 issue). I've really been holding myself back on adding more weight on the deads. I am committed to microloading no more than 5lbs each week to keep my back healthy.

Biceps
    I've been using Fitnessman's bicep routine for a while now, and intend to continue with it: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...tnessman+bicep

Last bicep workout, I tweaked an old injury in my left elbow tendon. To work around that, I will bring my palms in a little tonight rather than having them face up on the 4x4 curls.

I'm pretty excited about getting to this session. I've seen some pretty decent growth in my arms since I started using Fitty's bicep secrets.

pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well done sir

Keep up the good work Bo, I'll be following...

Steve

2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 2nd_chance has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Let me know how you like the VG's. I've been thinking about getting some.

I know all about the tendon issue. Just getting over it myself. Made bicep and back work very challenging.
    David

Tuesday 11/24/09- Back/Biceps

Weighted Pull Ups
    10x40
    8x55
    4x70*

Hi Rep
    15x10
    13x10*

Dead Lift
    10x145*
    8x195*
    6x235*
    4x285*

4x4 Curls
    5x5x5x35
    5x5x4x35*
    5x5x4x35*

60 degree EZ Preacher Curls
    10x67 1/2
    8x77 1/2
    5x87 1/2*

Hi Rep
    15x57 1/2*
    (*will increase all by 2 1/2lb next week)

90 degree Dumbbell Preacher Curls
    10x27 1/2*
    8x32 1/2*
    6x32 1/2*

Hi Rep
    15x22 1/2*
    (*will increase all by 2 1/2lb next week)

Weighted side bends
    15x60*
    15x60*
    15x60*
    (*will increase all by 5lband drop reps to 12 next week)

BackWorkout
    Weighted chins are performed with an EverLast dip belt and adjustable dumbbells. I'm using Versa Gripps with my palms facing out. Four clean reps was all I could muster today with the 70lb dumbbell. I'll work to get 5 clean reps next week.

Deads are performed sumo style wearing a 4 inch PL belt. This is much more comfortable on my lower back than conventional dead lift style. 285 for 4 reps was pretty easy today. I could have done more reps, but I'm committed to microloading 5 lbs at a time to keep my lower back healthy. I am in no hurry. If I keep making 5lb gains each week, I'll be repping 315 by Christmas.

Bicep Workout
    I am kind of modifying Fitty’s 4x4x4 bicep routine. I am going to stick with 35lb dumbbells until I can get 6x6x6, then I will bump up to 37 1/2lb dumbbells and go back to 4x4x4. I tweaked the tendon in my left elbow last week so I wore a neoprene elbow wrap today.

The EZ preachers, and the 90 degree dumbbell preachers were performed without any pain. I just simply didn't have the strength today to get the final rep on the EZ preachers. I will get it next week

70 on the weighted pullups is serious business! Great workout Bo.

I like sumo style on my deads too. Take it easy on the bicep tendon. Mine has harrassed me for 2 months.
    David

Originally Posted by pig_killer View Post
    Keep up the good work Bo, I'll be following...

Steve
    Thanks, Steve. I saw your new workout journal. Great start! I've been thinking about doing a martial arts class with my boys here in another couple of years...maybe a guys night together type of thing.

Originally Posted by 2nd_chance View Post
    Let me know how you like the VG's. I've been thinking about getting some.

I know all about the tendon issue. Just getting over it myself. Made bicep and back work very challenging.
    Hey David,

At at risk of sounding like a Versa Gripps rep, I love those things. There was an argument in a thread recently about whether you can wear gloves with them or not. I've tried them both ways, and I really like them with my gloves on. Super comfortable that way when I'm doing pull ups or heavy shrugs. Tonight I didn't even think about my grip while doing the weighted pull ups...just concentrated on pulling with the lats.

70 on the weighted pullups is serious business! Great workout Bo.

I like sumo style on my deads too. Take it easy on the bicep tendon. Mine has harrassed me for 2 months.
    I can keep my back much more upright in the sumo position. With my long legs, I don't hove to move the weight near as far to lock out, either. Anything I can do to protect and strengthen the area around those silly disks in my lower back. I lost over a month of training from them last year. Went out once while I was making the bed in the morning--go figure.

Take care with that tendon. I hurt mine back in 1983 doing buddy curls with gator armed training partner, using a straight bar. I should have known better than to try and keep up with him. Still flares up on me if I do too much bicep work with my palms up. If I even think about barbell curls, it aches

Thanksgiving Day and Portion Control

Putting the Portion Control Diet to the Test

We will have two separate Thanksgiving celebrations this year. Thursday will be with my side of the family, and Saturday will be with my wife's side. That means two days where I will need to avoid all of the landmines... and I intend to keep my diet strict. I actually think with the basic make-up of Thanksgiving meals it will be fairly easy to do. I just plan to keep to these rules:

A portion of protein would be about the size of your palm.
    A portion of carbs would be about the size of your fist.
    A portion of vegetables would be about the size of your open hand.

I intend to stay on my six small meal plan, and not allow myself to get overly hungry throughout the day. As always: NO PROCESSED SUGAR. I will train in the morning of both Thanksgiving celebrations. Here's my plan for Thursday:

Meal 1
    2 eggs
    1 Bowl of Oatmeal

Meal 2
    Tuna
    7 Triscuits
    half cup of almonds
    Sugar free yogurt

Meal 3 –Pre and Post Workout
    Whey protein/w water
    High glycemic juice drink

Meal 4
    Turkey
    Sweet Potato stuff (special 0 sugar recipe my wife found makes)
    Vegetables
    Cookie Salad (special 0 sugar, 0 fat dessert my wife makes)

Meal 5
    Turkey on whole wheat
    Vegetables
    Warm cinnamon apples

Meal 6
    Cottage Cheese
    Steamed Vegetables

It will be a little more challenging to eat clean on Saturday since my wife's family is really into food...lots of it, cooked in whatever makes it taste the best. My wife will help me out with some alternatives. I'll have to see what she comes up with.

Nice diet plan. I'm bulking so I have a little more flexibility. Have a good one.
    David

Target Proportions

One of the things I have really been working on for the last year is proportion and symmetry. I've been using this proportion calculator to see where I'm lagging and what I need to focus on. I am currently at 98% proportionality. I intend to get to 100%

Currently, I've got some real work to do with my upper legs and chest. According to the calculator, the inches that need to be made up would equal somewhere close to 25 pounds of lean mass. If I continue to gain 5 pounds of lean mass each year, the math tells me I should be there by my 52nd birthday.

Here's a quick link to the proportion calculator if you are interested: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...21&postcount=8

That's a pretty cool spreadsheet Bo. I'm curious on your target calf size. I've always strived for calf size equal to upper arm. I'm lagging 1 1/4" right now in the calves but they're growing (1 1/2" since Jan.)

I'm gonna check out that calculator. Although I've become less of a tape measure user and more of a mirror watcher that last few months.
    David

That's a pretty cool spreadsheet Bo. I'm curious on your target calf size. I've always strived for calf size equal to upper arm. I'm lagging 1 1/4" right now in the calves but they're growing (1 1/2" since Jan.)

I'm gonna check out that calculator. Although I've become less of a tape measure user and more of a mirror watcher that last few months.
    Yep...I've always been under the "old school" of thought about classic proportions, too. The idea that a person's neck, upper arm, and calves should be the same girth always appealed to me. Under that classical "Steve Reeves" formula, my calves are lagging about 1 1/2 inch behind.

The proportions set up in the spread sheet by John McCallum for a person of medium build like myself, only has my calves lagging behind by 1/2 inch. I'm not sure how he formulated his calculations but I noticed he doesn't have neck, upper arms, and calves equal.

McCallum has the ideal neck proportion slightly larger thant the upper arm, and calves about an inch smaller than the other two. I guess when it comes right down to it, proportion is subjective.

If I had my way, my calves would be 16 1/2 right now...

Now...what have you done to get yours to grow 1 1/2" since January? You're giving me hope!

pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pig_killer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

wow

Nothing like putting a little thought into it bo!

Could you email me that spreadsheet please?

I'll pm the addy

Thanks in advance,

steve

Originally Posted by Bo_Flecks View Post
    Now...what have you done to get yours to grow 1 1/2" since January? You're giving me hope!
    I work them 2x per week. The first session is seated for the lower calf. I go as heavy as possible while still allowing to hold 5+ secs on the top and bottom. I keep my rep range 8-12, ocassionally throwing in a high rep workout (20-40). I usually do about 7-8 sets. On the second session I do them standing or on the leg press as heavy as I can stand using the same rep scheme and form.

No secret formula. But I really enjoy working them and hitting them hard. I've got calf DOMS right now!
    David

Originally Posted by pig_killer View Post
    Nothing like putting a little thought into it bo!

Could you email me that spreadsheet please?

I'll pm the addy

Thanks in advance,

steve
    Done. I'll be looking to see what you post in your journal

I work them 2x per week. The first session is seated for the lower calf. I go as heavy as possible while still allowing to hold 5+ secs on the top and bottom. I keep my rep range 8-12, ocassionally throwing in a high rep workout (20-40). I usually do about 7-8 sets. On the second session I do them standing or on the leg press as heavy as I can stand using the same rep scheme and form.

No secret formula. But I really enjoy working them and hitting them hard. I've got calf DOMS right now!
    Awesome...thanks! I'm going to incorporate the 5+ secs at the top and bottom tomorrow. I've been holding at the top, but not at the bottom. I'm guessing they will be screaming from it.

Pre-Workout Report- Shoulders/Traps/Calves

Shoulders
    Going to train early today due to the Thanksgiving celebration. Got family coming in at 11:30 so I'm going to get started by 10AM. I'll already have two meals in me plus my pre-workout supps with my Ocean Spray cranberry juice cocktail. This should not be a problem.

What MIGHT be a bit of a problem is that after I finished my back/bicep workout Tuesday evening, I got a "crick" in my neck that night. Didn't sleep worth a crap. Not sure why or how it happened, but if it causes any problems today I'll work around it.

Traps
    Nothing out of the ordinary here...just heavy barbell shrugs. Here's where I'm expecting that "crick" in my neck to make its painful appearance today. If it does, I'll skip working traps.

Calves
    I'm going to incorporate a tip that David (2nd_chance) gave me last night about holding for 5+ seconds at the top AND bottom. I haven't been holding at the bottom. This will be my second calf workout for the week. If my neck bothers me, I won't put the weight on my shoulders.

Eh...no matter what happens during this workout, at least I'll be all pumped up for the Thanksgiving family pictures

BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BJC22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great journal, Bo...you've already got some great info here. Thanks for letting everyone in on your thoughts and what you do. I'm looking forward to continuing to visit!

I hope Thanksgiving #1 went well today, too!
    "You can take the fat off a man's body, but you can't take the fat out of his head."