Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Richie_Awesome View Post
    Alan, I've constantly been emailing resumes to potential gym employers, but, alas, have had no luck.

I emailed you roughly two months ago but did not get a reply.

Any advice?

Thank you for your time.
    What email addy did you try to reach me at? I'm in the process of changing my current one because it's too easy for people to mess up.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by IanGeda1 View Post
    Didn't know where else to post this and wanted serious answers without negging.I wanted to become a personal trainer while also knowing as much about nutrition as possible. I was wondering if I should just continue my study in exercise physiology to become a personal trainer and get a nutrition certificate or go vice versa and get a a degree in nutrition and get a personal trainer certificate or maybe make exercise physiology my major and nutrition my minor? I love both training and nutrition but, I'm leaning more towards nutrition now as a major .Should I just double major or what? Read your blogs and loves them.
    It really depends on what you want your day-to-day work to consist of. There really are no positions where your job is 50/50 in terms of nutritional counseling & hands-on training. You have to literally pick a focus that interests you more.

Rhino/Lion-Trickshotter IanGeda1's Avatar
    IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    It really depends on what you want your day-to-day work to consist of. There really are no positions where your job is 50/50 in terms of nutritional counseling & hands-on training. You have to literally pick a focus that interests you more.
    Thanks.I appreciate it alot.
    1 Corinthians 6:19

No matter how strong you get,don't ever try to take it all on alone. If you do, you're guaranteed to fail..Itachi Uchiha

"‎Knowledge and patience will counter greater skill"....Marcus Crassus

Current stats as of May 13 2014:
    Bench:245
    Squat:335
    Deadlift:405

Rhino/Lion-Trickshotter IanGeda1's Avatar
    IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IanGeda1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For example, say I just stick with exercise physiology as a major and nutrition as a minor. What about clients wanting to eat right and workout? With a degree in nutrition ,would this help against clients who filed a lawsuit saying I didn't know what I was talking about and gave them bad supplements or diet plans etc?..
    1 Corinthians 6:19

No matter how strong you get,don't ever try to take it all on alone. If you do, you're guaranteed to fail..Itachi Uchiha

"‎Knowledge and patience will counter greater skill"....Marcus Crassus

Current stats as of May 13 2014:
    Bench:245
    Squat:335
    Deadlift:405

Originally Posted by IanGeda1 View Post
    For example, say I just stick with exercise physiology as a major and nutrition as a minor. What about clients wanting to eat right and workout? With a degree in nutrition ,would this help against clients who filed a lawsuit saying I didn't know what I was talking about and gave them bad supplements or diet plans etc?..
    As long as you keep away from attempting to treat clinical conditions & stick to the basics of improving bodycomp or training performance, then you're in the clear. People aren't quick to sue their trainers, and I've known scores of trainers who give ALL KINDS of nutritional advice. I'm not condoning the indiscriminate practicing of unqualified nutritional counseling, nor am I saying that it's free of legal risk. However, I can say that in my 15 years in this business, I've never heard of a single case where a client sued a trainer for dangerous dietary advice. There have been cases where people have had possible drug-stimulant interactions that have lead to lawsuits, but I think you'll have a better chance of winning the lottery & getting struck by lightning in the same day if you stick to basic nutritional advice for the purposes I listed previously.

Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What email addy did you try to reach me at? I'm in the process of changing my current one because it's too easy for people to mess up.
    I don't remember Alan, I searched the blog and site for a while and found it. Would you be able to PM me the new email address?

Thanks in advance!
    If life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS

ISSA Certified CFT

Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Holly2710 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great post! I am so glad I read it. I had a tough time deciding between nutrition or training.
    My true passion lies in nutrition I must say
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but what is your average monthly income?
    I'm curious because I am interested in taking my dietetics course, but don't want to invest in something I can't make a decent living on.

NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Holly2710 View Post
    Great post! I am so glad I read it. I had a tough time deciding between nutrition or training.
    I'm curious because I am interested in taking my dietetics course, but don't want to invest in something I can't make a decent living on.
    I'm sure he makes enough to be happy on, but he does a ton of writing/seminars as well as research for various sites I believe.

trackhead1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I initially went to school for nutrition/exercise science, then changed paths and did nursing school. That was 14 years ago. I've been working ER/ICU since. Great day job, consistent pay, but I'm pretty burned out.

I was considering going back to finish ES/Nutrition, but I almost feel it would be better to get a degree in biochemistry and avoid all the bull**** spew of old school nutrition dogma. Just my opinion, but it seems many of today's RD's are clueless when it comes to real world nutrition and how it relates to athletes, Alan being one of the exceptions. In a perfect world, an education in biochemistry and endocrinology would be the most interesting.

I've read all your journal reviews Alan. Good stuff.

Originally Posted by Holly2710 View Post
    I make enough to support a stay-at-home wife & 2 kids. I have multiple income streams, so the amount I make is more than the typical nutritionist or personal trainer. I make the majority of my income from writing. To give you a rough breakdown, here are my income sources along with their proportional contribution to the total monthly:

Monthly research review (AARR): 40%
    Client counseling: 20%
    Book sales: 20%
    Men's Health magazine/article writing & consulting: 20%

One thing I'd note is that when I first started out, it was 100% client counseling income for a long while, and the proportions have shifted over recent years. The magazine, book, & research review income kicked in within the last 3 years or so. I've found that it's optimal to be diversified in your income streams - not only for financial security, but it also keeps things interesting & prevents burnout.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 09-05-2010 at 11:52 AM.

Originally Posted by trackhead1 View Post
    I initially went to school for nutrition/exercise science, then changed paths and did nursing school. That was 14 years ago. I've been working ER/ICU since. Great day job, consistent pay, but I'm pretty burned out.

I was considering going back to finish ES/Nutrition, but I almost feel it would be better to get a degree in biochemistry and avoid all the bull**** spew of old school nutrition dogma. Just my opinion, but it seems many of today's RD's are clueless when it comes to real world nutrition and how it relates to athletes, Alan being one of the exceptions. In a perfect world, an education in biochemistry and endocrinology would be the most interesting.

I've read all your journal reviews Alan. Good stuff.
    You're in a good/secure position to be in, but I've also heard a number of burn-out complaints from clients of mine who are in nursing. Perhaps write an e-book on how to get a 6-pack in 60 minutes? Glad you like AARR, by the way.

trackhead1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're in a good/secure position to be in, but I've also heard a number of burn-out complaints from clients of mine who are in nursing. Perhaps write an e-book on how to get a 6-pack in 60 minutes? Glad you like AARR, by the way.
    I wrote one on how to do it in 10 minutes. Much more marketable. Selling like friggin HOTCAKES (low carb, of course).

DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000) DedicatedDad is just really nice. (+1000)
    Subbed to read later.

btmclachlan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Very insightfull!

Thanks for such a great view of how your journey into the fitness world has created the success you now have today. As an exercise science undergrad, with a growing interest in nutrition, it is nice to hear about others experiences and opinions on some of the many different career paths available in the health and fitness field!

Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Richie_Awesome is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Still a wonderful read.
    If life gives you AIDS, make lemonAIDS

ISSA Certified CFT

dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can someone please explain what Alan means when he said "used car-lot effect?
    Does he mean that other PT's take away your clients?

Originally Posted by dave_k88 View Post
    Can someone please explain what Alan means when he said "used car-lot effect?
    Does he mean that other PT's take away your clients?
    By this, I'm talking about how some gyms advocate high-pressure selling (also called hard selling).

Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000) Lathareo82 is just really nice. (+1000)
    That was an awesome read, thanks man.

dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dave_k88 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    By this, I'm talking about how some gyms advocate high-pressure selling (also called hard selling).
    Thanks for the clarification, definitely was a good read.

SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoFocused will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome read!! Really enjoyed it!

paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulineb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thank you so much. I need it!!!!

PaolaAngelica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question New to personal training

I am about to take my test for NASM and want to start my job hunt... Does anyone have any advise as the best way to start my career as a CPT?
    Paola Angelica

Registered User AmericanClassic's Avatar
    AmericanClassic has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good read.
    Cowboy the *&$% up.

elenitsa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

help with cross fit education

hey!
    it s my first time that i post here but it s been a long time that i read this site!
    so...i have a guestion ...i am a personal trainer and now i want to be educated in cross fit...does anyone know how can someone a cross fit instructor be?
    i live now in germany in wuerzburg for one year as a student and i want to be educated in cross fit because i find it sooooo cool!
    so...any information is accepted!

sorry if this is not the right topic to post for cross fit...i am not so good with pc!

thanks...

is something wrong with my post?is it not in the right topic because cross fit word is red...any moderator can help please?i thought the topic with personal trainers would be right...sorry
    Last edited by elenitsa; 10-10-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Venom1450 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awsome Read! Deffinetly looking into this field

MMA Fun has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanxs for posting, was a very good read. I currently work in Human Resources so Im pretty good people, I got certified as a PT last year and Im looking at starting some casual or part time work to see how I go, any recomendations?
    Give me the right leverage, and I'll lift you the world.

mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrJustinPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Insight

Hello everyone, I recently completed as blog series outlining my experiences in the fitness career path. Hopefully some of you might find it helpful, or at least get some ideas to put to trial. Here's the 1st of the 3-part series:
    I have been doing undercover work interviewing at tons of gyms in the area getting information.

Gyms won't give out their tier system or pay scale to just anyone...

I've been collecting the information in one place.

forum.bodybuilding. com/showthread.php?t=128447721

top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50) top_5_percent will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I loved reading that!

Thank you. Best info I have ever read

You really inspire me!
    I have complete control over my body. What I eat and what I do reflect that. Nobody can stop my progress. I will continue my progress until my goals are met. Then from there I will need to achieve new goals to keep the forward progression of my mind, body, and soul. I motivate myself every day to work out, eat healthy, and live my life to the fullest.

Here, here

dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000) dirtymcbride is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Alan, I love your fellow brah motivation. No Homo. Haha, sorry n00b to these forums. I just quit my past career in IT consulting work cause it made me straight catabolic, got some ***** and now love my job making people healthy. Your Mr. Miagee teachings are flawless! Thank you and keep it up......

.....semi Homo