Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29
    Lifting4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by UltimateLF View Post
    Also, as I near the 400lbs deadlift mark should I look to invest in a belt or do I need not worry about it just yet?
    Dude you should have got a belt a long time ago.

UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Lifting4 View Post
    Dude you should have got a belt a long time ago.
    Really? Haha. Yikes. What do you guys suggest?

Lifting4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Really? Haha. Yikes. What do you guys suggest?
    I’ve only been lifting for 6 months and started using a belt when I was reping 165 on DL. Mainly to make sure my form was right but damn you are at 400.

UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50) UltimateLF will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Tom, did you cook up anything else (assuming you had the time).

Originally Posted by Lifting4 View Post
    I’ve only been lifting for 6 months and started using a belt when I was reping 165 on DL. Mainly to make sure my form was right but damn you are at 400.
    Ah k, I see. Yeah I was thinking about getting after I got 400 for DL and up'd my squat a little bit more.

Hey Tom, did you cook up anything else (assuming you had the time).
    If you haven't started, could you add about an 'extra' gym day bringing "TUL" to 4 days and still add in conditioning for 'rest' days?

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you haven't started, could you add about an 'extra' gym day bringing "TUL" to 4 days and still add in conditioning for 'rest' days?
    Sure - I can write something up for you by next week. Was traveling this past weekend for my youngest son's baptism and have been busy with work/training.

Oh and I am surprised that you don't have a belt! I guess the good thing is that you can skip going with a 'cheap' beginner-type belt and get a nice single prong 10 mm belt that will last for years...
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    Sure - I can write something up for you by next week. Was traveling this past weekend for my youngest son's baptism and have been busy with work/training.

Oh and I am surprised that you don't have a belt! I guess the good thing is that you can skip going with a 'cheap' beginner-type belt and get a nice single prong 10 mm belt that will last for years...
    It's totally fine and awesome. I will be looking forward to that. Congrats on your son's baptism. What denomination (if any) if you don't mind me asking?

Will you be getting back into competing?

Sweet! I just need to measure myself.

Hey Tom, what do you think about these:
    Stoic: http://a.co/6a2GQ06
    Flex: http://a.co/cScgfmn
    Tribe: http://a.co/8ipVrsY

And will the new routine w/ added conditioning (or GPP work) on off days be another total body day added to TUL or a Upper/Lower split? Really looking forward to what you have in store.
    Last edited by UltimateLF; 11-05-2017 at 08:20 AM.

ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000) ardee2124 is a name known to all. (+5000)

And will the new routine w/ added conditioning (or GPP work) on off days be another total body day added to TUL or a Upper/Lower split? Really looking forward to what you have in store.
    I have the double prong version of the Flex belt. Great piece of equipment.

Originally Posted by ardee2124 View Post
    I have the double prong version of the Flex belt. Great piece of equipment.
    Thanks, that's good to know. Why did you opt for the double prong version of the belt and how long have you had it?

Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ckdjim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you were going to tweak this on a 3 day for someone who just has a rack/bench and barbell set (no dumbbells) how would you do it? Month and a half on Starating Strength and I want to do more strongman type and arm training.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ckdjim View Post
    If you were going to tweak this on a 3 day for someone who just has a rack/bench and barbell set (no dumbbells) how would you do it? Month and a half on Starating Strength and I want to do more strongman type and arm training.
    Sorry for the delay - was preparing for World's and busy through the holidays.

You can swap most of the movements with barbell movements (for example instead of dumbbell curls do barbell curls, dumbbell military do barbell military, etc.). With that said you may also want to invest in a mini band since they could be good for doing single arm movements and cost under $15. This will also allow you to simulate cable movements like push-downs, face pulls, and others.

Good luck with the program and feel free to message me on social platforms if you have questions and do not get a quick response here - I am usually better with managing email and direct messages.

Of the three I would get the Stoic - but wait until you find a discount code (I have seen them posted via Instagram or ********, and they offer a significant savings if you buy through the 'jungle' website... in fact I may even have one for the belt but I think it could have expired). Single prong belts are easier to put on and take off, and 10/11 mm is plenty of belt for just about anyone - I have done some very heavy deadlifts and yoke walks with a similar belt.

Of the three I would get the Stoic - but wait until you find a discount code (I have seen them posted via Instagram or ********, and they offer a significant savings if you buy through the 'jungle' website... in fact I may even have one for the belt but I think it could have expired). Single prong belts are easier to put on and take off, and 10/11 mm is plenty of belt for just about anyone - I have done some very heavy deadlifts and yoke walks with a similar belt.
    Thanks I will look around for a deal. What do you think of light calisthenics on off/rest days?

pinpineeelo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hello

Hey man,
    First of all, many thanks for all the information you are sharing for everybody here. you are doing an amazing job.
    I got two questions for you.
    1st. I recently started with Hot Yoga (Brikram) I'll do that once per week for 90 minutes. That thing is though man. I have a whole new concept about it and a lot of respect. pretty good for strenghting the back muscles that are not normally trained in a bodybuilding routine and helps with flexibility.
    I'd like to know what you thing about mixing this up with a normal bodybuilding routine? I'm in a PPL routine of 4x that looks like this:

Push)
    Bench Press: 3x6-8
    Incline bench press (DB): 3x8-10 last is dropset
    Overhead press: 3x8-10
    Lateral raises: 3x10-12
    Dumbell Shrugs: 3x12-15
    Push down: 3x10

Pull)
    Deadlift: 1x3-5
    Dumbell rows: 3x8-12 last is dropset
    Pullup: 3x failure
    face pulls: 3x15-20
    Bicep curls: 3x10

Legs)
    Squats: 3x5-8 last is a double dropset
    Front squats or Bulgarian split squat: 3x8-10
    Hack Squat: 2x10
    Lying leg curls or strait leg Deadlift with dumbels 3x10
    Calfs 3x12-15

I have a rest day between them, I normally choose when depending on how is my lower back feeling.

I'm up for changing my routing a bit. I can be in the gym monday to friday for 50 mins and I don't mind going all out. But I don't want to hinder my process or get injured due to imbalances in my daily routine.

I'm pretty active (even tho I have an office job) and on weekends I normally do some football with my friends or some Jiujitsu leaving sunday completely off (but thinking about Yoga on that day )

Could I get your opinion and suggestions about routine? I'd personally like to train everyday or the mon/tus/off/thurs/fri
    Split.

cheers man and keep it up!

Felipe

Baldeagle94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What's up Tom! Either Choosing Joe DeFrancos Built like a badass program, or your P/P/L routine, Is there any way you can add cardio into the 3-day split, I can only commit to the gym 3 days and want the best bang for my buck. Strength,Growth,Conditioning. Thanks in advance.

MarekParek3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Would you recommend it to someone who have been working out for a 5 months? I'm beginner, but I think I'm little bit advanced. I'm looking for program optimal for muscle growth, because lifting really heavy weights isn't really for me. So I'm looking for some alternative, because I don't like working out like chest + triceps and etc.. I've heard that routines like this and like full body routines are better for muscle growth than brosplit.

Originally Posted by Baldeagle94 View Post
    What's up Tom! Either Choosing Joe DeFrancos Built like a badass program, or your P/P/L routine, Is there any way you can add cardio into the 3-day split, I can only commit to the gym 3 days and want the best bang for my buck. Strength,Growth,Conditioning. Thanks in advance.
    Of course - you can do your conditioning work at the end of the session. If you do the drop sets and super sets on the isolation movements you'll likely already have your heart rate cranking, and the best 'bang for your buck' would be 10-20 minutes of intervals on some sort of cardio equipment (I prefer a spin bike or elliptical, and usually 30-60 second sprints with recovery times of 1:1 or 1.5:1 depending on the type of shape that I am in - so something like 30 on 45 off if not in shape, but more like 60 on 60 off when in shape).

This conditioning work can be added at the end of all three sessions, although for the 'Lower Body' session you may want to consider doing steady state cardio depending on how crazy you go with the lifting portion.

Hope that the program works well for you and feel free to reach out if you would like to customize things a little bit.

fymm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fymm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fymm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Tom, I’ve practically read through this whole thread. Great stuff man. I currently do Stronglifts but swapped out the rows for weighted chin-ups. I have been non-continuously lifting for around four years with poor diet so my lifts haven’t hit intermediate levels. I stick to full-body workouts since I only have time for 3 gym sessions a week. What would you recommend I do if my only interest is aesthetics? Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by fymm; 07-14-2018 at 01:43 PM.

adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000) adamgentile is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Big fan of push/pull. I workout at 5am and limited to 60 minutes. Will picking 2 exercises for chest and shoulders be enough volume?

Bumping

Baldeagle94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Of course - you can do your conditioning work at the end of the session. If you do the drop sets and super sets on the isolation movements you'll likely already have your heart rate cranking, and the best 'bang for your buck' would be 10-20 minutes of intervals on some sort of cardio equipment (I prefer a spin bike or elliptical, and usually 30-60 second sprints with recovery times of 1:1 or 1.5:1 depending on the type of shape that I am in - so something like 30 on 45 off if not in shape, but more like 60 on 60 off when in shape).

This conditioning work can be added at the end of all three sessions, although for the 'Lower Body' session you may want to consider doing steady state cardio depending on how crazy you go with the lifting portion.

Hope that the program works well for you and feel free to reach out if you would like to customize things a little bit.

Hey Tom, my situation changed, what would you recommend for a busy working man looking to get in shape, gain some strength and size? coming off after a layoff and wanted to maybe go to your push/pull/legs? Also, can you exlain deeper into the auto regulation and progression scheme?

Originally Posted by Baldeagle94 View Post
    Hey Tom, my situation changed, what would you recommend for a busy working man looking to get in shape, gain some strength and size? coming off after a layoff and wanted to maybe go to your push/pull/legs? Also, can you exlain deeper into the auto regulation and progression scheme?
    Just seeing this now - I think that the 3-day P/P/L works great for folks who have a lot of competing priorities. One of the modifications that you can make is go with a 'rotation' rather than set training days. The 'classic' program is designed in a way that if needed any of the workouts could be done on back-to-back days, so let's say you are able to train Monday/Tuesday but then not in the gym again until Saturday then you would just do the next workout in order.

Your sessions might be:

Monday
    Thursday
    Saturday
    Monday
    Tuesday
    Friday
    Sunday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Friday

This is fine - even if you end up with (4) days some weeks and (2) days another.

In terms of weights/intensity I would follow an 'auto-regulation' approach where you push heavier/harder when feeling good, and dial it back if you are a bit run down.