Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post

For progression I usually recommend a dual-progression program where one week you look to increase weight while the next week you look to increase repetitions. You also do not have to perform the same number of reps each week. Here is an example:

Bench Press Progression for 250 lbs Bencher:

Week 1: Work up to 225 lbs x 3
    Week 2: Work up to 205 lbs x 5
    Week 3: Work up to 215 lbs x 4
    Week 4: Work up to 210 lbs x 5
    Week 5: Work up to 220 lbs x 4
    Week 6: Work up to 215 lbs x 5
    Week 7: Work up to 225 lbs x 4
    Week 8: Deload
    Week 9: Work up to 215 lbs x 5
    Week 10: Work up to 230 lbs x 3
    Week 11: Work up to 210 lbs x 6
    Week 12: Work up to 225 lbs x 4
    Week 13: Work up to 215 lbs x 6
    Week 14: Work up to 235 lbs x 3

After 14 weeks you would have hypothetically have added 10 lbs to your 3RM or about 15 lbs to your 5RM. This would likely yield a 10-15 lbs increase on your 1RM in 3 1/2 months, which I would not consider an 'aggressive' program unless you are a very advanced lifter.

If you are looking for a slow and steady progression template then I would recommend the 5/3/1 protocol from Jim Wendler. It is geared toward strength and not intended for hypertrophy; but can be combined with additional volume for 'hybrid' trainees.

Hope this helps.
    ok thanks. just to clarify and make sure im understanding you correctly for this bench explanation:
    *week 1 would be:
    -3 to 4 warm up sets that are working up to 225lbs?
    -then do three work sets of 225lbs at three reps each?

EDIT: if my 5 rep max is 240, why am i doing work sets with 225 for 3 reps?
    2nd EDIT: would you be willing to let me pay you for your services to plan out an entire 12 week program for me based on your 3 day routine in the original post? when i say "plan out" i mean write out a chart that tells me how much weight in each set and how many reps for every monday wednesday and friday. its a ton of calulations i am not familair with. i can get you pretty much all my 1RM and 5RM for those movements. i understand this could take some time so im more than willing to pay you. just make me an offer.
    Last edited by junkboxer; 06-22-2010 at 12:57 AM.

junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To give you a better idea of what i'd be looking for, it would be this. this was my latest 5x5 routine planned out by Bill Stars program. (on a side note: you can see i had a lower back injury by stopping deadlifts, im almost healed though...i go to the cyro weekly)
    Attached Images

TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50) TrueAmateur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by junkboxer View Post
    if my 5 rep max is 240, why am i doing work sets with 225 for 3 reps?
    I was kinda wondering the same thing, but I'm assuming that it's good to go light every now and then to put a little less strain on the muscles, so that when you push the heavier weight again, you get more of a pump.

Originally Posted by TrueAmateur View Post
    I was kinda wondering the same thing, but I'm assuming that it's good to go light every now and then to put a little less strain on the muscles, so that when you push the heavier weight again, you get more of a pump.
    true but if you look at that 14 or so week plan for the bench press i would never be going up to 250.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by junkboxer View Post
    If my 5 rep max is 240, why am i doing work sets with 225 for 3 reps?
    The example progression template that I wrote was not for you, it was based on a hypothetical trainee with a 250 lbs 1RM.

There is a Q&A on another site where I provide free customized routines - I will send you the link for it.

Originally Posted by TrueAmateur View Post
    I do typically recommend alternating between 'Volume' and 'Power' training from week to week. This provides you with a balance of strength and hypertrophy.

Because the 3-Day split that was posted here includes higher rep ranges later in the workout the variance in rep range from week to week on the primary movement is not as drastic.
    Last edited by TomMutaffis; 06-22-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

The example progression template that I wrote was not for you, it was based on a hypothetical trainee with a 250 lbs 1RM.

There is a Q&A on another site where I provide free customized routines - I will send you the link for it.
    Thanks, i joined and posted all my information in you Q&A thread. let me know if you need anything else from me.

Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Chicago -

That is a good question and it has not been previously covered in this thread although I did speak briefly about progression. What I would recommend for most individuals looking for a balance of strength and hypertrophy would be to perform the designated number of working sets but to 'ramp up' to the heaviest or most demanding set. Advanced lifters can also perform a drop set on the final working set if they would like.

Here is an example of what a typical training session might look like:

Bench Press:
    *75% x 5
    *80% x 4
    *85% x 4-5

*Percentage of your one-rep maximum.

If someone is focusing more on hypertrophy then they may want to go with a linear scheme similar to your Option A; performing (3) sets of (5) reps at 80%.

I like to include a lot of autoregulation in the programs that I write. On a day when you are feeling good you can push the limit in terms of going heavy. For the days when you are a bit tired you can keep it a bit lighter and just get in your volume.

Hopefully this answers your question; let me know if there is anything else that you might want to discuss.
    Great answer...just a few more related to my question.

1. Would you recommend to do the same with all of the rep ranges in your program? Or do you think it's better only to ramp up on the big lifts with the low reps? I'm assuming the answer to this would be that if I'd want to focus on strength and hypertrophy, you recommend to ramp up on the main lifts, and then do the 80% x 3 sets for the rest. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. If I'm currently cutting, I'd most likely have to cut down on volume. Besides that, would I still lift the exact same way? (Ramp up on the big lifts, then do whatever your answer is to #1 in this post for the rest of the lifts).

x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Tom, awesome post. I'm really liking the looks of your 4/5 day routine on the 1st page. I'm going to switch to it completely next week, but going to try out some of the workouts the rest of this week as well (chest today **** yea).

Perfect timing, squatting 3x a week on the 5x5 has been getting to my left knee a little bit.

Just a couple quick questions:

1) On the Friday workout, for the 3 supersets at the end, what rep range do you recommend?
    2) Do you see any real problem replacing Incline BB Press w/ Incline DB Press? My shoulder has a tough time handling much more than 135 on any BB press.
    3) What type of cardio would you recommend? I assume light cardio based on the fact we wouldn't want our legs shot for leg day.
    4) What type of warmup do you recommend for the 1st complex exercise on each day?

I'm also putting together a spread sheet that I'll post here once it's done.

x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50) x0rcist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Chest workout was awesome. Haven't worked it that much in a long time. Looking forward to continuing the program.

bump

Tom my chest is still killing me and I did the back workout yesterday (minus deads, did deads on wednesday) and am sore as hell. The 4/5 day split is definitely awesome.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Chicago1287 View Post
    Great answer...just a few more related to my question.

1. Would you recommend to do the same with all of the rep ranges in your program? Or do you think it's better only to ramp up on the big lifts with the low reps? I'm assuming the answer to this would be that if I'd want to focus on strength and hypertrophy, you recommend to ramp up on the main lifts, and then do the 80% x 3 sets for the rest. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. If I'm currently cutting, I'd most likely have to cut down on volume. Besides that, would I still lift the exact same way? (Ramp up on the big lifts, then do whatever your answer is to #1 in this post for the rest of the lifts).
    1. For most secondary and isolation movements I would not worry about 'ramping up' but would still perform 1-2 warmup sets prior to your working sets. You are correct that if you wanted to have a 'hybrid' program that it would be best to ramp up and train with heavy weights on your primary movement then work through the secondary and accessory work with higher volume but not as much intensity (load).

2. What is your overall goal? If you are cutting while simultaneously trying to increase strength and hypertrophy that could create a problem. Pulling yourself in too many directions will take you nowhere. For individuals who are restricting their calorie or carbohydrate intake I usually recommend moderating the volume/intensity and simply trying to maintain strength/muscle while improving body composition.

lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here is the 4/5 day training split...

Training Template:

Monday: Back
    Tuesday: Chest
    Wednesday: Cardio / Abs / Stretching
    Thursday: Legs
    Friday: Arms / Shoulders

Specific Workouts:

Back:
    - Deadlift: (2) sets of 2-5 reps
    - Chins / Assisted Chins: (3-5) sets / goal of 25 total chins, 50 for advanced.
    - T-Bar Rows: (2) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Close Grip V-Bar Pulldown / (Superset) / Seated V-Bar Row: (2) sets of 8-10 reps each.
    - One Arm DB Rows /or/ Underhand Barbell Rows: (2) sets of 10-15

Chest:
    - Incline Bench Press: (3) sets, 3-8 reps
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press: (2) sets of 10
    - Decline Flyes: (1) sets of 12
    - Hammer Strength Incline Press: (2) sets of 8
    - Cable Crossover: (2) sets of 12

Legs:
    - Squats: (3) sets of 5-8 reps
    - Standing Lunges: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Stiff Leg Deadlift: (3) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Superset: Option 1: Leg Extension / Leg Curl: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each
    Option 2: Hack Squat / Leg Press: (2) sets of 10-15 reps each

Arms & Shoulders:
    - Seated DB Military Press: (3) sets of 5-10 reps
    - Dips / Weighted Dips: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Barbell Curls: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Overhead DB or Barbell Extension: (2) sets of 8-10 reps
    - Lateral Raise / Front Raise Superset: (2) sets
    - Close Grip Bench / Pushdown Superset: (2) sets
    - Preacher Curl / Hammer Curl Superset: (2) sets

**I typically perform deadlifts every other week.
    starting this workout today... right now i'm 6'3 198. i'm not big at all but i'm going to be taking ec stack to lean out a bit, but i'm also on creatine. i'll be logging my workouts. in my log....pretty excited to start!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0422961&page=2
    Misc Cologne Crew
    S&P Crew
    Misc BJJ Crew

DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DurPats has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Is this program appropriate for me? I have been doing Starting Strength for about 3 months total and been lifting for about 6 months total. My arms are definitely lagging due to always doing squats/bench press/deadlift and low volume. only 13-14 inches flexed cold. Im really interested in getting a lot bigger.

My stats are:

5 ft 8
    151 lbs
    11% Bodyfat
    18 yrs old

5RM squat-225 ATG
    5RM Bench Press 150
    5RM Deadlift 250
    5RM Standing Military Press 100
    5RM Pendlay Row 130 probably around 150 for Bent Row

Im much more interested in hypertrophy than strength training since I dont play sports and am not a competitive athlete. Just did Starting Strength to get a decent strength base.

Also is there a substitute for walking lunges?
    Last edited by DurPats; 07-05-2010 at 10:42 AM.

Originally Posted by DurPats View Post
    Is this program appropriate for me? I have been doing Starting Strength for about 3 months total and been lifting for about 6 months total. My arms are definitely lagging due to always doing squats/bench press/deadlift and low volume. only 13-14 inches flexed cold. Im really interested in getting a lot bigger.

My stats are:

5 ft 8
    151 lbs
    11% Bodyfat
    18 yrs old

5RM squat-225 ATG
    5RM Bench Press 150
    5RM Deadlift 250
    5RM Standing Military Press 100
    5RM Pendlay Row 130 probably around 150 for Bent Row

Im much more interested in hypertrophy than strength training since I dont play sports and am not a competitive athlete. Just did Starting Strength to get a decent strength base.

Also is there a substitute for walking lunges?
    This program would work well for someone coming off of Starting Strength.

If you do not want to do walking lunges you can do standing lunges or front squats.

Going to bump this up in case anyone is looking for some new routines...

If anyone would like for me to help review their current program or customize something for them just let me know (either here or via PM).

Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr Armageddon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi Tom. I was reading threw this thread and saw that you were willing to help people with their training programs and i was hoping you could help me with mine. I have lifted weights in the past but never for more than a few months at a time and i ve never really followed a program. My strength is pretty embarrassing for my size, i am 6ft tall weigh 110 kgs with a fair bit of fat on my stomach,chest and backside. I ve squatted 100kgs x5, Deadlifted 110kgs x5 and benched 65kgs x5 but i would probably be a bit shy of these lifts at the moment. I was thinking of going with a starting strength like program.

Workout A.

Squats 3x5
    Military press 3x5
    Deadlifts 1x5
    Assisted Chin Ups 2x5

Workout B

Squats 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Barbell Rows 3x5
    Assisted Chin Ups 2x5

I work a 4 on 4 off roster at work and plan to lift 3 times in the eight day cycle as i would like to fit in 2 days of gpp or some other energy system work like sprints.
    How does this look?

My goals are to get stronger and to gain lean mass. I have a bet with a work colleague which is pretty much which one of us has the better body by the 24th of december. It is going to be judged by our other work mates. I fancy my chances as i am a mix of a meso/endomorph with some fat to lose while the other guy is a skinny fat ectomorph.
    With the right combination of training,gpp and diet how much could i change my physique in
    the 114 days i have left at my disposal?
    Thanks for any advice you could give

NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorseBeast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.
    Would a Push/Pull/Leg split like this be suitable for a beginner? I ve looked at newbie programs like Starting Strength but would like to follow a program with a little more variety.

Originally Posted by Mr Armageddon View Post
    Hi Tom. I was reading threw this thread and saw that you were willing to help people with their training programs and i was hoping you could help me with mine. I have lifted weights in the past but never for more than a few months at a time and i ve never really followed a program. My strength is pretty embarrassing for my size, i am 6ft tall weigh 110 kgs with a fair bit of fat on my stomach,chest and backside. I ve squatted 100kgs x5, Deadlifted 110kgs x5 and benched 65kgs x5 but i would probably be a bit shy of these lifts at the moment. I was thinking of going with a starting strength like program.

Workout A.

Squats 3x5
    Military press 3x5
    Deadlifts 1x5
    Assisted Chin Ups 2x5

Workout B

Squats 3x5
    Bench press 3x5
    Barbell Rows 3x5
    Assisted Chin Ups 2x5

I work a 4 on 4 off roster at work and plan to lift 3 times in the eight day cycle as i would like to fit in 2 days of gpp or some other energy system work like sprints.
    How does this look?

My goals are to get stronger and to gain lean mass. I have a bet with a work colleague which is pretty much which one of us has the better body by the 24th of december. It is going to be judged by our other work mates. I fancy my chances as i am a mix of a meso/endomorph with some fat to lose while the other guy is a skinny fat ectomorph.
    With the right combination of training,gpp and diet how much could i change my physique in
    the 114 days i have left at my disposal?
    Thanks for any advice you could give
    With the right diet and training program you can make drastic changes in 100 days.

I usually recommend an Upper/Lower split since it allows for more specialization and recovery. With that in mind Starting Strength has been around for quite some time and has worked well for some people so if that is something that you want to try then I see no reason not to, but I would make sure to change over to another program after a couple of months.

A good upper/lower split might look something like this:

Workout A: Upper
    - Incline Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Pullups (2 sets)
    - Dumbbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Barbell or Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Biceps Curls (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)

Workout B: Lower
    - Squat (3-5 sets)
    - Deadlift or Rack Pull (3 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - SLDL (2 sets)

For rep range I would work in the 4-10 range and take about two minutes between sets.

On your GPP days I would do some HIIT (high intensity interval training) since that will speed up your metabolism and help you to burn fat.

If you would like to go over your diet and supplement regimen just let me know.

Hope this helps!

lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lrm546 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i'm on the 3rd week of this 3 day split but i switched the leg and back/bi days to accomodate my work schedule. hopefully i can report back with some good details in a month as my stats right now are:

deads 365x3 raw
    squats 225x6
    bench rep 70s x 5 on dumbbells
    Misc Cologne Crew
    S&P Crew
    Misc BJJ Crew

Originally Posted by lrm546 View Post
    i'm on the 3rd week of this 3 day split but i switched the leg and back/bi days to accomodate my work schedule. hopefully i can report back with some good details in a month as my stats right now are:

deads 365x3 raw
    squats 225x6
    bench rep 70s x 5 on dumbbells
    Sounds good, let me know how you like it.

chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chiefnz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I do typically recommend alternating between 'Volume' and 'Power' training from week to week. This provides you with a balance of strength and hypertrophy.

Because the 3-Day split that was posted here includes higher rep ranges later in the workout the variance in rep range from week to week on the primary movement is not as drastic.
    any chance you could send me the link also? been following your program for the past 2 weeks and have enjoyed it. first time i have changed routine, the variation really helps to keep it interesting. thanks for your help. gjdm.
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/CamelJockey/

If you have an avi, gays are beating off to you. Congrats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw6G2e5rS0Q

Originally Posted by chiefnz View Post
    any chance you could send me the link also? been following your program for the past 2 weeks and have enjoyed it. first time i have changed routine, the variation really helps to keep it interesting. thanks for your help. gjdm.
    I sent you the link, will try to catch up on the Q&A thread on WannaBeBig later this week.

yassin11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

what about this programme
    chest + bicips
    back + tricips
    legs +shoulders

Originally Posted by yassin11 View Post
    what about this programme
    chest + bicips
    back + tricips
    legs +shoulders
    During your chest workout you are going to be working your triceps and shoulders, and during your back workout you are going to be working your biceps. I would recommend having at least two days of rest before training the same muscle group, so your split would have to look like this:

Monday: Chest & Biceps
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Back & Triceps
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Legs & Shoulders
    Sunday: Rest

Either way I would definitely recommend going with a Push/Pull or Upper/Lower split rather than the one that you proposed.

pentaxis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your three day split looks like a solid program. What sort of warm ups are you doing for the compound exercises?

During your chest workout you are going to be working your triceps and shoulders, and during your back workout you are going to be working your biceps. I would recommend having at least two days of rest before training the same muscle group, so your split would have to look like this:

Either way I would definitely recommend going with a Push/Pull or Upper/Lower split rather than the one that you proposed.

Originally Posted by pentaxis View Post
    Your three day split looks like a solid program. What sort of warm ups are you doing for the compound exercises?
    Here is a good way to warm up for compound movements:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/p...t-to-hit-a-pr/

thanks for your advice

Question

Push/Pull or Upper/Lower .
    what do you mean push/pull
    and upper/lower

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by yassin11 View Post
    what do you mean push/pull
    and upper/lower
    I can answer that. Correct me if you disagree, Tom.

push/pull is a split where you work on pressing movements one day and pulling movements the next. Movements where you push something away from your body and movements where you pull something towards it. Deadlifts, chinups, curls, rows, hamstring-dominant movements are all pulls. Bench press, overhead press, triceps movements, squats, dips, are all push movements.

upper/lower means that one day you work your upper body and the other day you work your lower body. DLs can be used as either.
    GOMAD!

pentaxis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is a good way to warm up for compound movements:
    Thanks for that.

One other question. Do you recommend running the 3 day split through twice a week, or once a week?