Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
    Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by adamrox View Post
    so were not allowed have oatmeal on the low carb days,cuz thats wat ive ben taking an hour before working out,is this wrong?
    If you are doing TKD, where you eat carbs before and after workouts, but don't do carb-ups, it's fine. If you are planning to carb-up, then no oatmeal before the workout.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

LawryB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fats = 1748,5
    Carbs = 134,5
    Protein = 807

These are calories for me, but i dont understand how do I get the foods I need to eat?I.E. I have heard bacon is good and eggs, but i dont have a scale so how do i count the calories in them? I have no idea how to get the amount of food to eat, but i have the calories and grams what I need, but I dont have a scale, how do I do it ?

Thanks for the other info though, really informative! keep it up

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Short answer: buy a scales. You can get a little diet scales for around a fiver, which will measure in units of 1/4 oz or 5g. http://cgi.ebay.ie/Kitchen-Craft-Chr...item3efb5d4bc2

Or you can buy a little digital scales http://cgi.ebay.ie/White-5000g-x-1g-...item3efca3d52a

In the meantime, you are going to have to do a lot of maths. If you buy a packet of bacon which weighs 200g and there are eight rashers in it, each one is 25g, and you have to work out how many calories there are in each 25g rasher. Same with meat etc.

Eggs are generally about 75 cals for a small one, up to 100 cals for an extra large one.

Bacon is okay on keto, but eggs are better, and also oily fish and fresh meat.

adamrox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

my keto meal plan

Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    If you are doing TKD, where you eat carbs before and after workouts, but don't do carb-ups, it's fine. If you are planning to carb-up, then no oatmeal before the workout.
    ok eileen,i got another question for you master ketogenic eileen i have a meal plan as do we all but im not sure if its right.so can you help me out ok here it is. for Meal 1.I eat two scrambled eggs with half a tblsp olive olive oil. Meal 2. one 7oz can of tuna two tblsp mayo Meal 3. same as meal one Meal 4. post workout whey shake 5. same as meal two Meal 6. six oz. steak or chicken with 2oz of jack cheese mmmmmmmm....but is my fat to protein good?i weigh 145 dressed not naked and im five foot eight inches.

Plug your food into Fitday or some similar website that will track your calories for you. If you have totals, I can take a guess at how likely it is to do what you want it to.

Add in some veggies.

YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50) YummyChocolate will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I multiply my bodyweight by 13 to get the number of cals I should get it is 1760. I started Keto on Tuesday, and I've found every day that it is impossible to get to my minimal amount of protein and fat without hitting at least 1800, if not more. Everything I eat is fatty, no non fat stuff, etc. I'm cooking everything in oil and stuff. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by YummyChocolate; 03-19-2010 at 06:41 AM.

You're obsessing over 40 calories. Don't sweat it. Mind you, if you are eating 1g of protein per pound of LEAN mass, you shouldn't be having that much problem fitting everything in.

kiddo85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Question regarding carb up if I may?
    I weight train Mon,Tue,Wed. Football Training Thu, Full Body Workout Fri/Sat Morning. Football Match Sunday Morning.
    Am I ok to begin a light carb up sat night and use Sunday's match as a further depletion workout to continue carb throughout Sunday?
    Thanks, jk

Since you don't have a rest day at any point, that's likely to be the best. Is it possible to incorporate a rest day? A seven day week is likely to lead to burnout.

Since you don't have a rest day at any point, that's likely to be the best. Is it possible to incorporate a rest day? A seven day week is likely to lead to burnout.
    Well for example this week, I managed to get my Full Body in this evening so I can use Sat as a rest day and could begin light carb up in the evening going through Sunday.
    Would I not need to do some form of cardio going into carb up to fully deplete glycogen stores?

If you do your full body depletion on Friday, then start your carb-up immediately, carb-up on Saturday while resting, and your game on Sunday should see the benefit of all the glycogen, and get you back to ketosis in double quick time.

Smile

If you do your full body depletion on Friday, then start your carb-up immediately, carb-up on Saturday while resting, and your game on Sunday should see the benefit of all the glycogen, and get you back to ketosis in double quick time.
    The one problem I have is that Sunday is really difficult for me to stay on CKD as I'm out for long periods and also with my girlfriend it's just so much easier to make that a cheat/carb up day?
    Any Ideas!!!

Than have Sunday as your carb-up day, and stay on keto until you've finished your game. But honestly, it's easier to eat keto than clean carb-up when out socially. Everywhere had steak or burger, but trying to find the sort of low fat food you want for the carb-up can be a real pain.

Than have Sunday as your carb-up day, and stay on keto until you've finished your game. But honestly, it's easier to eat keto than clean carb-up when out socially. Everywhere had steak or burger, but trying to find the sort of low fat food you want for the carb-up can be a real pain.
    True, so far i've been working it out as follows.
    keto-mon through to sat evening, some carbs late saturday and the whole of Sunday as carb. Which I must add is never the most clean on carb ups pizza, sunday roast maybe a doughnut here or there, I do try and get some decent carbs in with brown pasta & tuna maybe Oatmeal pancake for breakfast before Sundays match.
    I try to keep fat intake pretty low total calories for Sunday must be around 4000kl, my maintenence kl is around 3300kl.
    Am I way off track here, it's just after football I'm shattered and feel I can literally eat anything anf everything put infront of me!

chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chulahoop has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Diet Requirements?

I'm planning on beginning my keto diet this upcoming Monday and as a result, I've been doing my homework, trying to prepare myself as best as possible. However, I've read so many different articles on the keto diet and when it comes to setting up my diet, I get different answers as to how many grams of protein, fats and carbs I should get per day. I came up with these numbers and would appreciate feedback.

A little background info:
    Weight: 97 lbs
    Height: 5'1"
    BF%: 14 according to my bathroom scale

Basal Metabolic Rate: 1260.25 calories
    Total Calories Needed to Maintain Weight = BMR x 1.55 (Moderately Active) = 1260.25 x 1.55 = 1953 calories
    To Lose Fat: 1953 cal – 500 cal deficit = 1453 calories a day
    On low carb days (65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs)
    Protein: 109 grams / 435 calories per day
    Fat: 105 grams / 945 calories per day
    Carbs: 18 grams / 73 calories

During Carb Up:
    Protein: 109 grams (keep constant)
    Carbs (4.5 carbs per pound of lean body mass) = 83lbs x 4.5 carbs = 374 grams / 1496 calories
    Fat: Under 40g

Thanks in advance!

SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SouthSH138 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have a question regarding training while on Keto.

My usual training split is:
    Monday- Chest/bi's
    Tuesday- Legs
    Wednesday- Back/tri's
    Thursday- Shoulders/Traps

I am reading everywhere that a depletion workout is beneficial while on Keto before your carb up, so would it be ok (as far as over training) to do a depletion workout friday evening before my carb up or should I not?
    Or should I change my split completely?

Originally Posted by SouthSH138 View Post
    I have a question regarding training while on Keto.

My usual training split is:
    Monday- Chest/bi's
    Tuesday- Legs
    Wednesday- Back/tri's
    Thursday- Shoulders/Traps

I am reading everywhere that a depletion workout is beneficial while on Keto before your carb up, so would it be ok (as far as over training) to do a depletion workout friday evening before my carb up or should I not?
    Or should I change my split completely?
    I'd suggest a full body depletion workout but doing 5 days in a row isn't good. Like I said above I follow Mon-Chest,Back,Abs Tue-Shoulders,Arms Wed-Legs Fri/Sat-Full Body Depletion.

Originally Posted by chulahoop View Post
    During Carb Up:
    Protein: 109 grams (keep constant)
    Carbs (4.5 carbs per pound of lean body mass) = 83lbs x 4.5 carbs = 374 grams / 1496 calories
    Fat: Under 40g

Thanks in advance!

This might be a bit high. Carb-up carbs should be in proportion to muscle mass, and looking at your stats, I'm guessing those numbers are a bit high.

Try adding 10% onto your real maintenance calories (the amount you know you can eat without changing weight) and reversing the macros, so 30% protein (this will be a bit more than 109g), 5% fat and the rest carbs. If you get great results like that, you can increase the size of the carb-up, but it's horrible to throw away a hard week of dieting by overdoing the carb-up.

alritey eileen here it is my calorie numbers to my meals.Meal 1.two scrambled eggs half tblsp olive oil =252 calories Meal 2. seven oz tuna can one tblsp mayo=350calories Meal 3.my postworkout shake=80 calories Meal 4.two scrambled eggs half tblsp olive oil=252calories Meal 5.seven oz tuna tblsp mayo=350 calories so the totals for everything are 1241 calories,66.9grams fat,148.8 grams protein,5.7 grams carbohydrates.what do you think?
    Plug your food into Fitday or some similar website that will track your calories for you. If you have totals, I can take a guess at how likely it is to do what you want it to.

Add in some veggies.

Too much protein, not enough fat, no veggies and probably not enough calories either.

Too much protein, not enough fat, no veggies and probably not enough calories either.
    wow holy damn are you serious so what do you recomend i do add 2 tblsps of mayo to my tuna and a tblsp of olive oil to my scrambled eggs instead of just half?would that do the trik?

Work out your calorie requirements, then the macros, then sort out what foods will suit. Swap the tuna for salmon.

Actually, how did you all it all up? I'm a little suspicious of such a low number for fat with so much mayo etc.

haha i went to what you told me to go to i went toooo damn i forgot but the mayo is 120 calories a tblsp with 14 grams of fat and i only use 2 tblsps a day and only on 1 tblsp of olive oil in a daythe rest of the fat iget from eggs and the fat in my tuna.oh their you go!i just remembered fitday thats the website.
    Work out your calorie requirements, then the macros, then sort out what foods will suit. Swap the tuna for salmon.

Actually, how did you all it all up? I'm a little suspicious of such a low number for fat with so much mayo etc.

m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help! Water retention is terrible !

Hi, I have been sticking to Keto diet for 1 week and felt extremely good before the carb-up day. Lower abs was so flat with vascularity clear. (my body fat is about 12% and 110 pounds lean muscle)But, what happened saddened me a lot! After I took a lot of carb during the carb loading day, my flat lower abs returned to its normalcy-a little bit bloated-looks like there's some watery stuff.

I was wondering whether this phenomenon is a necessary process that every practitioner of keto diet has to undergo?

Please help! This psychological effect of returning-to-normalcy isn't so enjoyable!

Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by m1yang View Post
    Hi, I have been sticking to Keto diet for 1 week and felt extremely good before the carb-up day. Lower abs was so flat with vascularity clear. (my body fat is about 12% and 110 pounds lean muscle)But, what happened saddened me a lot! After I took a lot of carb during the carb loading day, my flat lower abs returned to its normalcy-a little bit bloated-looks like there's some watery stuff.

I was wondering whether this phenomenon is a necessary process that every practitioner of keto diet has to undergo?

Please help! This psychological effect of returning-to-normalcy isn't so enjoyable!
    I've read that you should NOT do a carb up for the first 2 weeks of the diet. Then - after the first carb up, then you should do it weekly
    "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways"

Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Strik9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it normal to have crazy energy swings on this diet?

I've noticed I'll be tired and then all of the sudden I'll get a burst of energy for a bit - then I'll be tired again.

For the most part I've been pretty energetic though

m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m1yang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Thanks~

Originally Posted by Strik9 View Post
    I've read that you should NOT do a carb up for the first 2 weeks of the diet. Then - after the first carb up, then you should do it weekly
    Oh~ I see, but it shrinks a little bit after last night~! What a marvelous thing! I will see how everything goes~ thanks anyway~

well im goning to go ahead and ask you and every a question since you all know so much about the keto diets.on a tkd is it alrite to have a protein bar before and after a workout
    ?

Originally Posted by adamrox View Post
    well im goning to go ahead and ask you and every a question since you all know so much about the keto diets.on a tkd is it alrite to have a protein bar before and after a workout
    ?
    I don't know too much about keto yet, but the idea is low carbs. Just check the carbs and sugars on the label

Is it normal to have crazy energy swings on this diet?

I've noticed I'll be tired and then all of the sudden I'll get a burst of energy for a bit - then I'll be tired again.

For the most part I've been pretty energetic though
    That sounds to me like you are constantly on the edge of ketosis, and occasionally eating something that pushes you over the edge. On keto, you normally have steady energy. No desire to run a marathon, but just able to go all day without having to stop or notice fatigue. The stop-go thing is more typical of someone eating a high carb diet.