Sushimonster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is five times a week too much for bulking?

In trying to bulk up (I'm naturally skinny) I've read many times that three intense workouts a week (covering each body part once a week) is optimal, and that the growing comes from rest and nutrition. But I've found that doing chest and shoulders on the same day means that the latter workout falls down; for example; after my chest workout my arms are knackered and my shoulder workout suffers because I can't lift the really heavy weights anymore. Whereas when I decided to do shoulders the next day I was able to lift a LOT more than my previous week's shoulder workout, because I was fresh, and rested. But this basically means that I'm now working out five times a week. So my question is, what's better for bulking up; three days workout in the knowledge that the second body part worked on any day suffers because I'm tired after the first, OR, five times a week, each day pushing one body part to the max, but therefore only having two days off each week?

THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) THE_TRUTH86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    YES/NO/MAYBE

Yes if you are hitting the same muscles without proper rest and nutrition

No- if you are splitting your workouts and properly allowing at least 48-72 hrs before working the muscle

Maybe- If you are allowing proper rest, but if your nutrition is poor then it will affect your recovery

Proper Muscle Building= (Nutrition+Rest+Training)
    Since you are bulking take anywhere from 200-500 over your maintenance for calories, keep your protein high(40%-45%), carbs moderate(35-40%) and fats moderate (at least 20-25%)....

Muscles are broken down in the gym and grown at home (sleep, rest, food)

I follow a 5 day split as well
    D1 Legs
    D2 Chest/Tri or Bi (cardio)
    D3 REST
    D4 Back/Tri or Bi (depending on what i do with chest)
    D5 REST
    D6 Shoulders (cardio)
    D7 Arms (cardio)
    5 workout sessions for 70-80 min including 15-20 min cardio after weights; only 3 times a week
    Last edited by NoPain86; 10-27-2009 at 08:48 AM.

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Sushimonster View Post
    I I've found that doing chest and shoulders on the same day means that the latter workout falls down; for example; after my chest workout my arms are knackered and my shoulder workout suffers because I can't lift the really heavy weights anymore. Whereas when I decided to do shoulders the next day I was able to lift a LOT more than my previous week's shoulder workout, because I was fresh, and rested. But this basically means that I'm now working out five times a week.
    I don't understand that logic. You're more fresh lifting 5 days a week than 3? Then I suspect you aren't moving heavy enough weight.

So my question is, what's better for bulking up; three days workout in the knowledge that the second body part worked on any day suffers because I'm tired after the first, OR, five times a week, each day pushing one body part to the max, but therefore only having two days off each week?
    The problem with "pushing one body part to the max" is that you can't really isolate one body part and move any significant weight. That's why I find it much easier to think in terms of movement than body parts. Also, bulking or cutting happens based on what you're eating. Your routine should stay mostly the same. But to answer your question, 3 days a week is better than 5, if you're training correctly.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000) glwanabe is just really nice. (+1000)
    YES!

You have answered yourself in your post as to why 3x week is good. In fact, if your very thin, then 2 intense sessions pr. week would probably be better for you.

See Allpro's simple beginner routine at the top of the page. Or in the faq's the Starting strength program.

Here are a couple of articles that will explain some things to you.

a long read, but good stuff.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...on-thread.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/the-rules-...-free-trainee/

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In trying to bulk up (I'm naturally skinny) I've read many times that three intense workouts a week (covering each body part once a week) is optimal, and that the growing comes from rest and nutrition. But I've found that doing chest and shoulders on the same day means that the latter workout falls down; for example; after my chest workout my arms are knackered and my shoulder workout suffers because I can't lift the really heavy weights anymore. Whereas when I decided to do shoulders the next day I was able to lift a LOT more than my previous week's shoulder workout, because I was fresh, and rested. But this basically means that I'm now working out five times a week. So my question is, what's better for bulking up; three days workout in the knowledge that the second body part worked on any day suffers because I'm tired after the first, OR, five times a week, each day pushing one body part to the max, but therefore only having two days off each week?
    for most people, yes.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

Sushimonster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok, as I suspected I should go back to 3 days a week.

Let me give you an example of what I mean though: doing shoulders after chest (same day) I was doing the dumbell shoulder press with 14s (as I say, my arms were exhausted after the chest workout). Whereas that week I decided I should do shoulders the next day I was able to use the 18s. This surely means a much better workout for my shoulders, no? I was simply unable to lift the 18s on the same day after my chest workout!

Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Hut*Hut has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
    YES!

You have answered yourself in your post as to why 3x week is good. In fact, if your very thin, then 2 intense sessions pr. week would probably be better for you.

See Allpro's simple beginner routine at the top of the page. Or in the faq's the Starting strength program.

Here are a couple of articles that will explain some things to you.

a long read, but good stuff.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/forums/pow...on-thread.html

http://muscleandbrawn.com/the-rules-...-free-trainee/
    fantastic articles.
    To guys starting out - please understand: when you can deadlift 450lb for 10 reps your back, hamstrings & traps will reflect THAT not which program you used to get there. When you can curl 150 for 10, your biceps will reflect THAT, not which program, rep range or method you used to get there. There is no voodoo independent of poundage progression, just faster and slower ways of getting to your next pit stop.

qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10) qskinny is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by glwanabe View Post
    muscleandbrawn.com/the-rules-of-productive-weight-training-for-the-drug-free-trainee/
    omg. what a sobering article. especially towards the end. I feel very unmotivated now.