Closed Thread
    ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000)

Got a CPAP machine on Friday

I had to get a CPAP machine because I've developed Sleep Apnea. Apparently, this is a result of my tiring of that "Wide in the Shoulder, narrow in the hip" look, and going for more belly development. Additionally, my doctor is sending me to a nutritionist, for counseling.

I wasn't sure I had sleep apnea until my g/f complained about my snoring (I dismissed her claims). But, when she told me I would stop breathing and gag at night, I decided to see if this was true and had a sleep study. I quit breathing 29 times an hour, with the longest duration of 17 seconds and my oxygen uptake levels dipped to an alarming 80%. Enough to warrant a prescription for a CPAP machine.

The first night she exclaimed "You look like Hannibal Lecter" (of Silence of the Lambs fame), but she enjoyed the results - a restful night's sleep.

All the brochures proclaim you'll awake refreshed and full of vigor. Well, I wouldn't go that far, but I did notice that I started waking-up much earlier and not feeling groggy. But, I would stop short of saying I sprung out of bed "born again".

But, here's the real eye-opener, I saw a report from 2002 in which my body weight was 193 and now I am 225. This probably occurred when I thought that I didn't need to do cardio and lifting weights was fun. But, now this has happened to me, I've noticed a lot of men my age in the gym, probably have been lifting longer than I, with bigger protruding guts. They don't do any cardio, but they lift for hours. I thought I was doing OK, since I looked like them and it was just my age.

Anyway, I am anxious to see if I have new found energy to do cardio now that the CPAP is allowing me to sleep more normally.

Has anybody had a CPAP and noticed a difference once they've used it?

supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    C-pap and full face mask for me even using this every night for last 9 months (ive had one for 3 years but hated it) i still wake up 4-5 times a night minimum where i am up and walking thru the house. Last night was the longest span of sleep in 20 yrs i actually made 3 hrs straight before waking so its not a miracle by any means for me but it may save my life so i will continue to use it and hopefully it gets better. ****** does not help much either. Its not uncommon for me to fall asleep and be up for the first time within 30 minutes.
    Hope you have better luck than me
    Some People are nothing more than a skid-mark on the toilet bowl of life, never let them bring you down the drain with them
    Currently ranked 6th Total @Powerliftingwatch.com Masters rankings @220 Raw
    # 36 Mens 1565 RAW TOTAL
    UPA NAtionals Winner 4-17-2011

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid

ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000) ntallyfl is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by supy View Post
    C-pap and full face mask for me even using this every night for last 9 months (ive had one for 3 years but hated it) i still wake up 4-5 times a night minimum where i am up and walking thru the house. Last night was the longest span of sleep in 20 yrs i actually made 3 hrs straight before waking so its not a miracle by any means for me but it may save my life so i will continue to use it and hopefully it gets better. ****** does not help much either. Its not uncommon for me to fall asleep and be up for the first time within 30 minutes.
    Hope you have better luck than me
    Well, they explained to me there are 3 kinds:

1) CPAP

2) Auto-CPAP or APAP(adjust constantly through out the night for your needs)

3) RPAP or Bilevel, which has a mouth and nostril component for assured constant pressure.

Additionally, they said I may need to come in periodically to make sure the CPAP is at the correct pressure, if my insurance doesn't pay for an APAP.

supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) supy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I see my Dr every 3 months
    Some People are nothing more than a skid-mark on the toilet bowl of life, never let them bring you down the drain with them
    Currently ranked 6th Total @Powerliftingwatch.com Masters rankings @220 Raw
    # 36 Mens 1565 RAW TOTAL
    UPA NAtionals Winner 4-17-2011

Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid

scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scott213 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been on a CPAP for about 5-6 years now. It is hard to get used to at first, but I would not be without it now. It made all the difference in the world for me. By the way, you are a lightweight, I stopped breathing 125 an hour, for durations as long as 30 seconds. I asked the nurse if that was bad and she laughed at me...

Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Mr. Someday is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ntallyfl View Post
    Well, they explained to me there are 3 kinds:

1) CPAP

2) Auto-CPAP or APAP(adjust constantly through out the night for your needs)

3) RPAP or Bilevel, which has a mouth and nostril component for assured constant pressure.

Additionally, they said I may need to come in periodically to make sure the CPAP is at the correct pressure, if my insurance doesn't pay for an APAP.

No insurance pays for an autopap per se, your supplier would have to give you one under the same reimbursement as they get for a CPAP, as there is no code for the machine. Generally they are on average about $100-$150 more. Bilevel has its own code, but you can't get one of those unless it is medically necessary. Seeing as they are about $5k for reimbursement, you can imagine the payers are more stringent about seeing those dispensed. Out of our 350 setups/mo, I bet we do maybe 10, so it is a pretty small % that actually need it.

You should see your RT regularly at first to make sure you have the proper fit of your mask and/or have the right one and to make sure your pressure is adequate and does not need to be adjusted. It takes some getting used to, but when used properly, they can prove to be a life saver.

Originally Posted by Mr. Someday View Post
    No insurance pays for an autopap per se, your supplier would have to give you one under the same reimbursement as they get for a CPAP, as there is no code for the machine. Generally they are on average about $100-$150 more. Bilevel has its own code, but you can't get one of those unless it is medically necessary. Seeing as they are about $5k for reimbursement, you can imagine the payers are more stringent about seeing those dispensed. Out of our 350 setups/mo, I bet we do maybe 10, so it is a pretty small % that actually need it.

You should see your RT regularly at first to make sure you have the proper fit of your mask and/or have the right one and to make sure your pressure is adequate and does not need to be adjusted. It takes some getting used to, but when used properly, they can prove to be a life saver.
    It didn't take much to get use to it, except they didn't have the humidifier cups, so I wake-up with a dry mouth like I've been in the desert without water for 3 days. She's supposed to get me the cups for the humidifier, after that I think I can use the humidifier - thank God.

I am not getting that surgery no matter what.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I got the CPAP with nose mask in 3/2008 and I credit it with saving my life, maybe. I had a total of 6 sleep studies between 1999 and 2008 and finally caved in. I was dozing off at work and moved to a very populated office area in 5/2008, just in time! I get up in the morning and feel pretty good. I can drive long distances and rarely fall asleep unless I'm dead tired and on the couch anyway. Mine is super quiet and the nose mask is very comfortable. I haven't lost any weight as many do due to a good sleep pattern. I guess everyone's weight issues are different.

BG
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

CaraG73 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In my opinion I think that BiPAP machines perform much better than CPAP machines from my years of suffering from sleep apnea. You should check out a good article on good BiPAP machinesso that you can make an informed decision on which one to get! I hope this helped anyone that is suffering from sleep apnea.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CaraG73 View Post
    In my opinion I think that BiPAP machines perform much better than CPAP machines from my years of suffering from sleep apnea. You should check out a good article on good BiPAP machinesso that you can make an informed decision on which one to get! I hope this helped anyone that is suffering from sleep apnea.
    Not sure why you are pimping out bipap machines. Bipap is indicated for more severe cases of sleep apnea, like central sleep apnea or severe obstructive apnea. As well, used in hospital for congestive heart failure, a bridge before life support, or someone in acute respiratory failure.

In Ontario it is funded through the home ventilator program and there is no other way to get one at home. CPAP is used to overcome upper airway obstruction during sleep and does so quite effectively.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    NTALLY: you say men "your age" but do not mention your age....a 20 pound weight gain is never good for a man, when most of it is adiposity, however, as we get older, such weight gains affect us more...
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000) AAOBob is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was on my way to c-pap land myself in about 2010. Losing the weight solved that. I will have occasionally have a bad snoring night (according to the wife) but nothing intolerable or apnea like I used to be.
    Obsession is a term the lazy use to describe the dedicated.

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AAOBob View Post
    I was on my way to c-pap land myself in about 2010. Losing the weight solved that. I will have occasionally have a bad snoring night (according to the wife) but nothing intolerable or apnea like I used to be.
    Trying to gently nudge my wife in this direction since she had little or no sleep issues before gaining weight. It's not working
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have been using a VPAP Resmed machine since 2006. VPAP has different PSI for inhale exhale. Mine is 20 in 16 out.

Humidifier attachment is a must unless you want to wake up feeling like you swallowed a cat.

Took about 6 months to get used to it.

SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    Not sure why you are pimping out bipap machines. Bipap is indicated for more severe cases of sleep apnea, like central sleep apnea or severe obstructive apnea. As well, used in hospital for congestive heart failure, a bridge before life support, or someone in acute respiratory failure.

In Ontario it is funded through the home ventilator program and there is no other way to get one at home. CPAP is used to overcome upper airway obstruction during sleep and does so quite effectively.
    A BIPAP machine used in the hospital is quite different then the Bipap used for sleep apnea & much more advanced. Cpap & Bipap machines for home use are quite similar.

The only difference is Cpap uses one pressure while a Bipap uses two pressures (I & E). The Bipap increases in pressure during the inspiratory phase & decreases by 4-6cmh2o during the expiratory phase. Some patients tolerate this drop in pressure much better than the constant pressure Cpap utilizes.

raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) raynerd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SKINUM View Post
    A BIPAP machine used in the hospital is quite different then the Bipap used for sleep apnea & much more advanced. Cpap & Bipap machines for home use are quite similar.

The only difference is Cpap uses one pressure while a Bipap uses two pressures (I & E). The Bipap increases in pressure during the inspiratory phase & decreases by 4-6cmh2o during the expiratory phase. Some patients tolerate this drop in pressure much better than the constant pressure Cpap utilizes.
    I am not saying bipap machines aren't used in the home. I have been a Respiratory Therapist for 14 years and work in the hospital. As well, I work for a home ventilator service funded by the government. Being on bipap at home is not something you can just pick and choose. It is either clinically indicated according to severity of the individuals disease or how bad the sleep apnea is. Many people need bipap at home, but for the most part, CPAP is the prescribed treatment of choice for most common sleep apnea cases.

Hospital Bipap machines differ in monitoring capabilities and different bells and whistles, but the same principle of a set IPAP, EPAP and sometimes respiratory rate is common to all machines, hospital or not.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oddly, I stop snoring at 12% bf and below. Not sure if it's like that for others or not.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Originally Posted by drudixon View Post
    Oddly, I stop snoring at 12% bf and below. Not sure if it's like that for others or not.
    I do the same Dru, very common actually. Obesity has a giant link to sleep apnea as well. Lots of skinny doods with apnea, but much higher chances with increased BF. I snored like mofo when I weighed 222lbs. Not really at all right now.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I snored the same at 165 lbs as I do at 240 lbs. I did have sleep apnea surgery in 2007 which helped somewhat. As far as machines go, you are pretty much stuck with what your sleep specialist prescribes for you.
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50) SKINUM will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by raynerd View Post
    I am not saying bipap machines aren't used in the home. I have been a Respiratory Therapist for 14 years and work in the hospital. As well, I work for a home ventilator service funded by the government. Being on bipap at home is not something you can just pick and choose. It is either clinically indicated according to severity of the individuals disease or how bad the sleep apnea is. Many people need bipap at home, but for the most part, CPAP is the prescribed treatment of choice for most common sleep apnea cases.

Hospital Bipap machines differ in monitoring capabilities and different bells and whistles, but the same principle of a set IPAP, EPAP and sometimes respiratory rate is common to all machines, hospital or not.
    U are correct in saying that a Bipap machine can not be chosen by the individual. However, if they do have issues with acclimating to the pressure even on a low setting (8+) they can be switched to Bipap. This is a choice made by the MD or polysomnographer.

There is a huge difference in Bipap use for CHF, COPD and other emergent respiratory situations vs. sleep apnea.

Give me a Bipap machine utilized for sleep apnea vs. a V60 or even a Vision. Lets place both on two identical patients that are either fluid overloaded or their Co2 is in the 100's. I'll work with the v60 or vision over the standard Bipap machine with a much higher success rate combating these issues vs. using a Bipap for apnea treatment.

Yes, IPAP & EPAP is the same principle but those extra bells & whistles are a major seperation point if utilized properly.

Originally Posted by SKINUM View Post
    U are correct in saying that a Bipap machine can not be chosen by the individual. However, if they do have issues with acclimating to the pressure even on a low setting (8+) they can be switched to Bipap. This is a choice made by the MD or polysomnographer.

There is a huge difference in Bipap use for CHF, COPD and other emergent respiratory situations vs. sleep apnea.

Give me a Bipap machine utilized for sleep apnea vs. a V60 or even a Vision. Lets place both on two identical patients that are either fluid overloaded or their Co2 is in the 100's. I'll work with the v60 or vision over the standard Bipap machine with a much higher success rate combating these issues vs. using a Bipap for apnea treatment.

Yes, IPAP & EPAP is the same principle but those extra bells & whistles are a major seperation point if utilized properly.

I have used every machine under the sun for just about every ridiculous thing you can imagine. I would never argue not choosing a v60 over a synchrony etc for a severe acute patient.

My only point of this thread was that she was pushing bipap where bipap was probably not indicated. Just wanted to point out you can't just decide one day that " I think I will switch to a bipap machine", it has to be prescribed to suit the patient's condition.

Anyway, good talking with ya.
    Last edited by raynerd; 07-29-2014 at 06:10 AM.

Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Burtle1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How are you guys liking your cpap machines?

I'm contacting my Doctor tomorrow to schedule an appointment to see about having a sleep study done.