Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

This Is what i have learned over the years

There is a LOT of bad information out there and people have a very warped view of what are reasonable expectations for putting on muscle thru weightlifting. Lets talk about teens and growth first, during the ages 16-22, teens are growing fast. In this time they are getting taller, adding body mass, and getting stronger all as part of the normal growth process without lifting a single weight. The reason this is important is that many times you hear anecdotes of teens who add 20lbs in one year lifting weights, well the truth is that they would have added 15lbs anyway thru the normal growth process, only the last 5lbs was actually muscle was actually added thru the weightlifting.

So what is a reasonable expectation for how much muscle you can add in a year thru weightlifting? Well if you lift with intensity 5 days a week for an hour a day all year long AND have proper nutrition (more on that later), you can expect to add 5lbs muscle per year if you are a hard gainer and 10lbs muscle if you are one of the gifted few. Doesn't sound like a lot you can do this year after year and slowly those slowly 5lb gains really add up. Picture yourself a decade later with 50lbs muscle on!

OK, now lets discuss how to gain muscle, as I said before you need to lift weights and have proper nutrition. Lets talk about resistance training first. You have to lift weights to get stronger and gain muscle. Mass follows strength, you cant get bigger without getting stronger. Here are workout plans for beginner, intermediate or advanced bodybuilders. Now lets talk about the dedication required. You cant add muscle by flitting around the gym now and then. Remember I said that you could expect to add 5lbs muscle (10 if you are lucky) if you worked really hard? Well this is the "work really hard part" - it means 5 days a week of intense lifting. Just being IN a gym an hour a day does nothing, chatting your buddies while standing near weights doesn't make your muscles grow - you need intense, focused workout sessions. Check out my section on "Focus" to see what I mean by that.

Believe it or not, lifting weights is the EASY part of gaining muscle, nutrition is the hard part. The #1 reason bodybuilders have poor results is not because they don't work out hard enough but because their nutrition sucks. It can take up to FIVE days for the muscles to rebuild after a workout and during that time you need a constant intake of protein. Your body can't store protein up so just having a huge steak with dinner will not work if you want to gain muscle, you need to take your protein in 6 small, even doses spread evenly through out the day to insure your recovering muscles always have the amino acids they need to rebuild. Nobody said bodybuilding was easy. If you can't eat 6 real meals a day then protein powder mixed in milk or water can make a quick and inexpensive meal replacement in a pinch, remember though, real meals are always better! The first thing you need to know about nutrition are some numbers. How many calories do you need in each meal and how many grams of protein do you need in each meal, the below chart shows this:

Gain Muscle and Maintain Bodyfat Level

Current Weight
    Calories
    Protein

280lbs (127kg) 700cals x 6 meals = 4200 46g x 6 meals= 280g protein
    260 lbs (118kg) 650cals x 6 meals = 3900 43g x 6 meals= 260g protein
    240 lbs (109kg) 600cals x 6 meals = 3600 40g x 6 meals= 240g protein
    220 lbs (100kg) 550cals x 6 meals = 3300 36g x 6 meals= 220g protein
    200 lbs (91kg) 500cals x 6 meals = 3000 33g x 6 meals= 200g protein
    180 lbs (81kg) 450cals x 6 meals = 2700 30g x 6 meals= 180g protein
    160 lbs (72kg) 400cals x 6 meals = 2400 26g x 6 meals= 160g protein
    140 lbs (63kg) 350cals x 6 meals = 2100 23g x 6 meals= 140g protein

Eating more than this will not make your muscles grow faster, you will just get fat!!! This is really important so I'm going to say this gain. Eating more than what this chart shows will NOT make you stronger or give you bigger muscles, it will just make you FAT. This is the bulking myth - you don't need to get fat to get strong. As long as you are getting your six evenly spaced doses of protein as shown my this chart, your muscles will have the building blocks they need to grow bigger and stronger-- eating more will not help.

Lets take a quick look at what happens if you are not careful with your diet and eat junk food. Our 140 hypothetical BBer needs 23g protein six times a day. Lets say that for each of his meals he eats a big mac which has 24g protein. Each burger has 24g protein so his muscles will grow well but man-o-man look at the calories! Remember I said that this 140lb BBer needs six 350 cal meals, well the Big Mac is 590 calories, almost 200% too much. What this means is that our 140lb BBer would gain 3lbs fat per week or 12lbs of fat per month! Can you say sumo wrestler! You really need to watch what you eat! Here are the most common nutrition mistakes made by bodybuilders:

-they get enough protein so their muscles grow but they eat too many calories so they get really fat

-they eat the proper number of calories but don't get enough protein so their muscles don't grow much

-they get enough protein and the proper number of calories but don't distribute their protein intake into 6 evenly spaced small doses so their muscles don't grow much

Don't let this happen to you! If you are going to all the work of lifting weighs 5 days a week, make sure you give your nutrition the same effort so your muscles can grow.

If you have the time and devotion, you can gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time but its REALLY hard! Your protein requirements remain the same but the number of calories per meal drops so its even harder to find acceptable meals. Lets look at the numbers for those wanting to gain muscle and lose fat. The below chart shows the nutritional requirements if you want to gain muscle and LOSE 1 lb fat per week:

boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) boombazelle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    idk how you came up with that table for calories per day and per meal, but i hope no one actually takes your advice on that when trying to bulk. according to you i should eat like 2600 calories a day to gain weight?

i think it's ironic how you're telling people they aren't getting proper nutrition and your advice is for them to undercut maintenance calories

Smile with me brother. Nefariousx1's Avatar
    Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    mind is blown

Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ripped12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by boombazelle View Post
    idk how you came up with that table for calories per day and per meal, but i hope no one actually takes your advice on that when trying to bulk. according to you i should eat like 2600 calories a day to gain weight?

i think it's ironic how you're telling people they aren't getting proper nutrition and your advice is for them to undercut maintenance calories

So you rather get fat than gain muscle because that chart is mean't for people who want to minimize fat gains and slowly but surely gain lean muscle

Like it says you can only gain 5 Ilbs of pure muscle over a yearly if you train your butt off in the train and having a good nutrition plan read the whole post

So if you want to become fat and strong be my guest. But when you gain all that fat and then you go through a cutting phase you will be right back were you started at

And if you don't the post then that is not my problem

Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Oh how much I hate it when I realize that I am doing it all wrong....

Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teej209 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    are you an idiot??

where the hell did you get your information from?
    i only read the first two paragraphs and i refuse to read any more

theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500)
    dude who wrote this thread...your logic seems kinda wrong here. i would say most people tryin t bulk dont care about putting on a little fat in the process, its either that or not make any gains at all by not eating enough while working out. are you that paranoid about fat that your not willing to go above maintainance while at the same time eat just enough in order to see muscle gains? dude thats crazy, nobody eats that precise in real life and i doubt anyone could eat to the exact calorie and plan their meals that well over an extended period of time even if they tried. i would say most people trying to bulk dont care about that or plan it they are just concerned with getting the calorie and protein requirements. then once you finish bulking, then you can cut if you want to.

BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50) BeyondThePain will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why did you just copy and paste from this website?
    http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/gainingMuscle.htm

are you scooby? or are you some poser...?
    how can you say "this is what i have learned over the years."
    Progress:
    Deadlift: 150 --> 275 3x6
    Squat: 135 --> 225 3x5
    Bench: 95 --> 145 3x5
    - Incline: 80 --> 125 4x5
    BB row: 85--> 140 5x5
    OH Press: 65 --> 105 5x5

Get up. Get real. Get milk. Get big. Get God.

Smile with me brother. Nefariousx1's Avatar
    Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Nefariousx1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ripped12 View Post
    There is a LOT of bad information out there and people have a very warped view of what are reasonable expectations for putting on muscle thru weightlifting. Lets talk about teens and growth first, during the ages 16-22, teens are growing fast. In this time they are getting taller, adding body mass, and getting stronger all as part of the normal growth process without lifting a single weight. The reason this is important is that many times you hear anecdotes of teens who add 20lbs in one year lifting weights, well the truth is that they would have added 15lbs anyway thru the normal growth process, only the last 5lbs was actually muscle was actually added thru the weightlifting.

So what is a reasonable expectation for how much muscle you can add in a year thru weightlifting? Well if you lift with intensity 5 days a week for an hour a day all year long AND have proper nutrition (more on that later), you can expect to add 5lbs muscle per year if you are a hard gainer and 10lbs muscle if you are one of the gifted few. Doesn't sound like a lot you can do this year after year and slowly those slowly 5lb gains really add up. Picture yourself a decade later with 50lbs muscle on!

OK, now lets discuss how to gain muscle, as I said before you need to lift weights and have proper nutrition. Lets talk about resistance training first. You have to lift weights to get stronger and gain muscle. Mass follows strength, you cant get bigger without getting stronger. Here are workout plans for beginner, intermediate or advanced bodybuilders. Now lets talk about the dedication required. You cant add muscle by flitting around the gym now and then. Remember I said that you could expect to add 5lbs muscle (10 if you are lucky) if you worked really hard? Well this is the "work really hard part" - it means 5 days a week of intense lifting. Just being IN a gym an hour a day does nothing, chatting your buddies while standing near weights doesn't make your muscles grow - you need intense, focused workout sessions. Check out my section on "Focus" to see what I mean by that.

Believe it or not, lifting weights is the EASY part of gaining muscle, nutrition is the hard part. The #1 reason bodybuilders have poor results is not because they don't work out hard enough but because their nutrition sucks. It can take up to FIVE days for the muscles to rebuild after a workout and during that time you need a constant intake of protein. Your body can't store protein up so just having a huge steak with dinner will not work if you want to gain muscle, you need to take your protein in 6 small, even doses spread evenly through out the day to insure your recovering muscles always have the amino acids they need to rebuild. Nobody said bodybuilding was easy. If you can't eat 6 real meals a day then protein powder mixed in milk or water can make a quick and inexpensive meal replacement in a pinch, remember though, real meals are always better! The first thing you need to know about nutrition are some numbers. How many calories do you need in each meal and how many grams of protein do you need in each meal, the below chart shows this:

Gain Muscle and Maintain Bodyfat Level

Current Weight
    Calories
    Protein

280lbs (127kg) 700cals x 6 meals = 4200 46g x 6 meals= 280g protein
    260 lbs (118kg) 650cals x 6 meals = 3900 43g x 6 meals= 260g protein
    240 lbs (109kg) 600cals x 6 meals = 3600 40g x 6 meals= 240g protein
    220 lbs (100kg) 550cals x 6 meals = 3300 36g x 6 meals= 220g protein
    200 lbs (91kg) 500cals x 6 meals = 3000 33g x 6 meals= 200g protein
    180 lbs (81kg) 450cals x 6 meals = 2700 30g x 6 meals= 180g protein
    160 lbs (72kg) 400cals x 6 meals = 2400 26g x 6 meals= 160g protein
    140 lbs (63kg) 350cals x 6 meals = 2100 23g x 6 meals= 140g protein

Eating more than this will not make your muscles grow faster, you will just get fat!!! This is really important so I'm going to say this gain. Eating more than what this chart shows will NOT make you stronger or give you bigger muscles, it will just make you FAT. This is the bulking myth - you don't need to get fat to get strong. As long as you are getting your six evenly spaced doses of protein as shown my this chart, your muscles will have the building blocks they need to grow bigger and stronger-- eating more will not help.

Lets take a quick look at what happens if you are not careful with your diet and eat junk food. Our 140 hypothetical BBer needs 23g protein six times a day. Lets say that for each of his meals he eats a big mac which has 24g protein. Each burger has 24g protein so his muscles will grow well but man-o-man look at the calories! Remember I said that this 140lb BBer needs six 350 cal meals, well the Big Mac is 590 calories, almost 200% too much. What this means is that our 140lb BBer would gain 3lbs fat per week or 12lbs of fat per month! Can you say sumo wrestler! You really need to watch what you eat! Here are the most common nutrition mistakes made by bodybuilders:

-they get enough protein so their muscles grow but they eat too many calories so they get really fat

-they eat the proper number of calories but don't get enough protein so their muscles don't grow much

-they get enough protein and the proper number of calories but don't distribute their protein intake into 6 evenly spaced small doses so their muscles don't grow much

Don't let this happen to you! If you are going to all the work of lifting weighs 5 days a week, make sure you give your nutrition the same effort so your muscles can grow.

If you have the time and devotion, you can gain muscle AND lose fat at the same time but its REALLY hard! Your protein requirements remain the same but the number of calories per meal drops so its even harder to find acceptable meals. Lets look at the numbers for those wanting to gain muscle and lose fat. The below chart shows the nutritional requirements if you want to gain muscle and LOSE 1 lb fat per week:
    not only is your post full of fail but you played off this fail post as your own....
    op...you suck and you should just leave

taking credit for someone else is just pathetic

BTP Ima try and rep you on recharge man...good looking out on these frauders

Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000) Own3r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Nefariousx1 View Post
    not only is your post full of fail but you played off this fail post as your own....
    op...you suck and you should just leave

taking credit for someone else is just pathetic

BTP Ima try and rep you on recharge man...good looking out on these frauders
    And in the red he goeeez

ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000) ricbig is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i just do what old bbers did Eat steak chicken and drink milk and eat veggies : D
    boo hoo chacha is serious

Don't run out of juice Bakers Man's Avatar
    Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000) Bakers Man is a name known to all. (+5000)
    epicfail.jpg (no worthy pix available)

*edit: I didn't neg you LoL, but maybe you should think 2x before posting again. You made it seem as if you were trying to shove this info (granted, wrong info) down these peoples throats. And keep in mind, what pisses a lot of people off is when you're cocky about what you're talking about, but in reality, you couldn't be farther from the truth. My $0.02.
    Last edited by Puddle_Pirate; 10-09-2009 at 05:55 PM.