Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50) ~CoNkY~ will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dawnbringer View Post
    I've always thought that BCAA's were used in building solid muscle mass, does it really help to maintain size during cardio? Where is the proof? Not sparking an argument, just trying to learn something new >=). I'd love to see an article of somesort support this theory, so that maybe I can apply this to myself as well!
    My understanding is that the right combo of BCAAs/EAAs during cardio and lifting helps keep the muscles in an anabolic state, rather than a catabolic state. Can't point to a specific article at the moment but the main site has a ton on them, and I've been told by MANY a people that these can really help during a cut.
    8/1/2009 - START FAT LOSS - 251 lbs
    8/1/2010 - 185.5 lbs
    12/20/2010 - START 1st EVER BULK - 173 lbs
    5/1/2011 - START CUT - 190 lbs
    6/18/2011 - 181 lbs
    7/30/2011 - 176 lbs
    8/31/2011 - GOAL - 170 lbs ripped

vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vgbblife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think we need a sticky on this so we can debate this all in 1 thread rather then make a new thread every day about this.

I myself admit that I am not absolutely certain about either side here. I am on a crash diet myself, and normally i was 100% against cardio.

But you really got to wonder, if all you are burning is about 400 cals in a cardio session and you consume some carbs before and/or during, BCAAs pre cardio and during cardio, along with a whey protein shake immediatly after, I really can't see any loss of muscle.

Meanwhile you get a ton of benefits health wise, you decrease risk of almost every known illness, your heart gets stronger, improves circulation, your stamina increases, cardio is even great for your mental well being.

If you are doing too much cardio, this is a bad thing. I know my body probably will not respond well to doing cardio everyday, in terms of keeping strength. This is an individualistic thing, do less cardio if theres even a hint that its too much for your body.

signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ~CoNkY~ View Post
    My understanding is that the right combo of BCAAs/EAAs during cardio and lifting helps keep the muscles in an anabolic state, rather than a catabolic state. Can't point to a specific article at the moment but the main site has a ton on them, and I've been told by MANY a people that these can really help during a cut.
    BCAAs are expensive, whey concentrate is relatively cheap. Whey is 35% BCAAs. Can you see where I'm going with this?

signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000) signature166 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by vgbblife View Post
    I think we need a sticky on this so we can debate this all in 1 thread rather then make a new thread every day about this.

I myself admit that I am not absolutely certain about either side here. I am on a crash diet myself, and normally i was 100% against cardio.

But you really got to wonder, if all you are burning is about 400 cals in a cardio session and you consume some carbs before and/or during, BCAAs pre cardio and during cardio, along with a whey protein shake immediatly after, I really can't see any loss of muscle.

Meanwhile you get a ton of benefits health wise, you decrease risk of almost every known illness, your heart gets stronger, improves circulation, your stamina increases, cardio is even great for your mental well being.

If you are doing too much cardio, this is a bad thing. I know my body probably will not respond well to doing cardio everyday, in terms of keeping strength. This is an individualistic thing, do less cardio if theres even a hint that its too much for your body.
    BCAAs are a triumph of marketing over substance. If you are lifting heavy weights and consuming adequate macros, you don't have to worry about losing muscle.

People who lose muscle are on diets too low in macros, on a brotastic high volume weight lifting program, and then throw in a buttload of cardio on top of that. Consume adequate protein, follow a goal-positive training program, and eat at a reasonable deficit. Voila!

Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodybreak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No intentions of offending anybody, but its common knolwege that heart rate monitoring is the best way to retain muscle mass. Keeping a steady heart rate for your age/weight at the right BPM will help to increase burning fat, and retain your muscle weight. Check google to find your target heart rate. Using a treadmill with a HRM (heart rate monitor) will help to ensure that you are only burning fat, and not dipping into muscle stores. This is why runners are so shreded/lean/small. The heart rate goes to high, you are breaking the barriers of how much fat you can use for energy and begin to dip into your muscle...They have heart rate montiors in many forms, check ebay for the cheapest price.

Believe it or not, slow paced cardio is better for fat loss...HIT training works very good as well, but you are going to want to do this in the morning because its very good for starting your metabolism out on the right foot. If you are going to do this, I recommend eating something with sugar for breakfast to start your insulin levels out on the right track, and not eating very much more after the first few meals to detour an insulin spike with a high motabolism >=). Hope that all helps?
    These are theories not facts. For example when you get a cut it is common fact that your skin will re heal itself, on the other hand there being a "target heart rate for burning fat" is not proven. It works differently for everyone.

Your best bet is to lift weights make sure you have a lot of protein and keep running. Who cares if you lose a little muscle you will gain back when your looking cut.
    Gay for Klokov crew

Reps 4 life:TimmyTert

AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50) AKMass will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, I guess ronnie and jay don't know what they are talking about either right?
    These guys are 300 lb. monsters that will beat the hell out of their knees if they try HIIT training. So, they do what they can, LISS. Not to mention, they have access to substances to help them that most of us here do not.

-Mehr ist nie genug!- Rene152005's Avatar
    Rene152005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rene152005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rene152005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rene152005 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Originally Posted by signature166 View Post
    BCAAs are a triumph of marketing over substance. If you are lifting heavy weights and consuming adequate macros, you don't have to worry about losing muscle.

People who lose muscle are on diets too low in macros, on a brotastic high volume weight lifting program, and then throw in a buttload of cardio on top of that. Consume adequate protein, follow a goal-positive training program, and eat at a reasonable deficit. Voila!
    AGREED!

I'm a true believer on macro nutrients and cardio for fat loss! Nothing can replace real food!

Here's a small summary list if you want to keep the muscle and cut down the fat:
    1) Go for the right amounts of grams of protein according to your bodyweight in lbs
    2) Moderate-slow cardio 3-4 times per week
    3) Up to 4 sessions of weightlifting (evenings) with 10-15 reps per set with moderate weights

The trick is that when doing a fat loss program, you CAN'T stick to it for more than 2-3 weeks in a row or you will start seem major muscle loss! Cycle it! Bulk and Fat loss, over and over again and you'll see results!
    Dream big, lift big and stay big!

Registered User trance__dreamer's Avatar
    trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile

If you are going to do this, I recommend eating something with sugar for breakfast
    hmm...i've never heard this before. this goes against the grain/what common belief is: that sugar = automatic fat gain (...which i don't buy for a second. i love my sugar & know better. )

to start your insulin levels out on the right track
    hmm... =S

and not eating very much more after the first few meals to detour an insulin spike with a high motabolism >=). Hope that all helps?
    this confuses me greatly. =/

Originally Posted by trance__dreamer View Post
    hmm...i've never heard this before. this goes against the grain/what common belief is: that sugar = automatic fat gain (...which i don't buy for a second. i love my sugar & know better. )

hmm... =S

this confuses me greatly. =/
    He's a troll with a bad case of Dunning-Kruger.

blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blue_aviators is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    dont do the 2 mile run, ur burning muscle

KINGJIUJITSU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KINGJIUJITSU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) KINGJIUJITSU has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

No intentions of offending anybody, but its common knolwege that heart rate monitoring is the best way to retain muscle mass. Keeping a steady heart rate for your age/weight at the right BPM will help to increase burning fat, and retain your muscle weight. Check google to find your target heart rate. Using a treadmill with a HRM (heart rate monitor) will help to ensure that you are only burning fat, and not dipping into muscle stores. This is why runners are so shreded/lean/small. The heart rate goes to high, you are breaking the barriers of how much fat you can use for energy and begin to dip into your muscle...They have heart rate montiors in many forms, check ebay for the cheapest price.

Believe it or not, slow paced cardio is better for fat loss...HIT training works very good as well, but you are going to want to do this in the morning because its very good for starting your metabolism out on the right foot. If you are going to do this, I recommend eating something with sugar for breakfast to start your insulin levels out on the right track, and not eating very much more after the first few meals to detour an insulin spike with a high motabolism >=). Hope that all helps?
    Sounds like you're the only one in here who really knows how cardio and bodybuilding go together. That is absolutely correct. Figuring out your target heart rate and spiking your sugar levels definately help. For me believe it or not i also drastically increase my carbs. For me that will support my muscle retention, while burning fat with my cardio routine. Taking BCAAS In my opinion would not make much of a difference at all. Thanks for spreading your knowledge in this forum.

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by trance__dreamer View Post
    hmm...i've never heard this before. this goes against the grain/what common belief is: that sugar = automatic fat gain (...which i don't buy for a second. i love my sugar & know better
    Chocolate milk post work out!!! It's stops da da catabolism boogie man lol!!!

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-recovery.html
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

Raj201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your on the right path. There's not much you have to change.

1) when your planning to gain mass and maintain muscle, make sure your eating enough protein, limit your carbs during the cutting phase. And make sure you get enough rest, that's a big key.

2) Lifting defiantly will help. You want to alternate to ensure your muscles are working. You want to do compound movements, such as deadlifts. You should have 4 days of lift, do not push it.

3) cardio. This is defiantly the tricky part. You want to avoid long trips to the treadmill. Depending on your goals you must make sure your keeping your cardio to HILT. A good example of this would be a 5am morning run for no more then 10 minutes, Followed in the evening by a 5-10 mins of HILT cardo. I prefer the stair stepper, as it will defiantly shred you out in no time

Make sure you take 3 days off. During your off days you can utilize cardio. An example would be

Monday - chest biceps 5 min HILt
    Tuesday- back triceps. 5 min HILT
    Wednesday- shoulders traps min HILT
    thrusday legs
    Friday- off
    Saturday- 10 min run + 10 min HILT
    Sunday 10 min run + 10 min HILT

It's not nescarry to do hilt 5 mins a day but off days you must in add in. As it will not effect your strength and will shred you out

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    im sure OP has stopped lifting since this was posted SIX years ago
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sarumyan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Are you fcking kidding me? 3-5 miles will "eat" your muscles?
    Rugby, Judo, Basketball, MMA Fighter Crew (4-0).
    80+ lbs lost crew
    UofT Biz Crew