lnub has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need a Post-Op Workout Plan

Howdy Y'all!

So I guess I'll just cut right to the chase. In August I underwent an L5-S1 microdiscectomy. The healing procedure is taking a bit longer than expected and I'm still experiencing leg pain. The pain is aggravated by running, jogging, any sudden movements that jolt my back. I've found that a stationary bike and/or eliptical are the only form of cardio I can do. I recently found out that machines like the Pec-Fly, Seated Bicep/Tricep, and other similar equipment do not aggravate my back.

Having played sports my whole life (rugby being my latest passion) I am determined to get back on a solid muscle building workout plan. If any of you know of a program that could cater to my needs, or would like to give me a few suggestions as to which exercises I should focus on I would really appreciate it.

I'm fairly new to this forum as well, so I hope I posted this in the right section.

Thank you all very much for your help,

L.Nub

Also, any supplements that might aid in the recovery process are welcomed.

-L.Nub

frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) frost_wyrm43 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yea man

Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dharmacootra will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a few bad disks as well. It took me 8 years to get on track. I'll just toss up what helped me.

1. Find a doctor and therapist who understand your goals and can help you with them. Most docs deal with patients whose goals are pain resolution and mobility. When I told them I wanted to squat heavy the first few were unable to help. The preventative protocol is greater when you are trying to perform with inuries.

2. Having great form prevents injury. This is true for all but especially so when you have lumbar issues. I got sloppy and hurt myself on a 135lbs warm up squat. Was out of the gym for a year. Sacrifice weight for form.

3. Goal setting. I made the mistake of setting lift goals that would be aggressive even without injuries. Because I am pig headed I tried to muscle through to them. Result = injured. The #1 goal is to be able to workout consistently. Not push, get hurt then take x months off. If I can hit the gym consistently this year w/o missing a workout then goal #1 is achieved.

4. If it hurts dont do it. Taking a week off might save you from having to take 2 months off.

5. Dont take painkillers. You cant feel it when you are doing further damage.

6. Be careful with ibuprofen, in large quantities it will kill your stomach.

7. Little exercises help. Supermans, stretching, yoga, feldenkrais, egoscu, mckenzie are all therapeutic. Might not feel like you are doing much, but it keeps you healthy.

8. Learn how to sit in chairs and while you are driving (esp long distance). A good rule of thumb is to keep your knees higher than your hips, this relieves pressure at L5.

9. Accesory muscles are important. I had a good pt who figured out that my pain could be managed by strengthening pelvic stabilizers. Sounded counterintuitive but it worked.

10. I take fish oil, glucosamine and vitamin B complex.

11. Be consistent. If you do a little bit each day it adds up and you will increase your odds of staying healthy.

If I'd videotaped my first 6 years post injury it would be a documentary of what not to do. Hell of a ego check.

Good Luck.
    If you work at something really hard...for a long period of time...you'll figure **** out.

Originally Posted by Dharmacootra View Post
    I have a few bad disks as well. It took me 8 years to get on track. I'll just toss up what helped me.

1. Find a doctor and therapist who understand your goals and can help you with them. Most docs deal with patients whose goals are pain resolution and mobility. When I told them I wanted to squat heavy the first few were unable to help. The preventative protocol is greater when you are trying to perform with inuries.

2. Having great form prevents injury. This is true for all but especially so when you have lumbar issues. I got sloppy and hurt myself on a 135lbs warm up squat. Was out of the gym for a year. Sacrifice weight for form.

3. Goal setting. I made the mistake of setting lift goals that would be aggressive even without injuries. Because I am pig headed I tried to muscle through to them. Result = injured. The #1 goal is to be able to workout consistently. Not push, get hurt then take x months off. If I can hit the gym consistently this year w/o missing a workout then goal #1 is achieved.

4. If it hurts dont do it. Taking a week off might save you from having to take 2 months off.

5. Dont take painkillers. You cant feel it when you are doing further damage.

6. Be careful with ibuprofen, in large quantities it will kill your stomach.

7. Little exercises help. Supermans, stretching, yoga, feldenkrais, egoscu, mckenzie are all therapeutic. Might not feel like you are doing much, but it keeps you healthy.

8. Learn how to sit in chairs and while you are driving (esp long distance). A good rule of thumb is to keep your knees higher than your hips, this relieves pressure at L5.

9. Accesory muscles are important. I had a good pt who figured out that my pain could be managed by strengthening pelvic stabilizers. Sounded counterintuitive but it worked.

10. I take fish oil, glucosamine and vitamin B complex.

11. Be consistent. If you do a little bit each day it adds up and you will increase your odds of staying healthy.

If I'd videotaped my first 6 years post injury it would be a documentary of what not to do. Hell of a ego check.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for the info. Do you notice the supplements helped? I used to take glucosamine when I was in season. Helped with recovery. Could this possibly do something for me now with my back?

Cheers

-L.Nub