killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Optimum Whey Protein for Vegetarians

Hi, I was wondering if any of you know if this protein is suitable for vegetarians. Does it contain any animal sources?

Also, would it be suitable for vegans?

Thanks a lot!

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, whey is a product of milk (it's a protein found in milk, I should say). Vegetarian... well if you drink milk, you should be fine with that. Vegans, who do not consume any product of an animal, would not be suited for whey protein.

killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) killaa99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey thanks for the quick reply,

I read that sometimes animal rennet is used to separate the curds (for cheese) and the whey.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if this is the case with Optium's whey protein.

Thanks again.

BoingoBoingoBoingoBoingo TinyMan's Avatar
    TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TinyMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That's a good point, I didn't really think about the rennet; I don't really know the answer to that one.

I asked ON this question and I just received an email from them today. Looks like it is vegetarian:

Thank you for choosing Optimum Nutrition to help you create your bigger
    picture. Yes, our 100% Whey Gold Standard is suitable for
    lacto-vegetarians (those vegetarians who can consume dairy products).
    The only animal derived ingredient within our product is the whey itself
    which comes from cow's milk. The rennet that we use in the
    manufacturing process is either fungally and/or synthetically derived.

Best of health!

Rebecca Johnsen
    Consumer Affairs Rep
    Optimum Nutrition/American Body Building
    1-800-705-5226

aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50) aliquis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by killaa99 View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if any of you know if this protein is suitable for vegetarians. Does it contain any animal sources?

Thanks a lot!
    I think using the wording "vegetarian" for anything not vegan is confusing, it would be better to be specific and say lacto-vegetarian or lacto-ovo-vegetarian in the cases it's not vegan.

You already have all the answers but no, by my definition it wouldn't be "vegetarian", but it would count as lacto-vegetarian in my book since it contain milk products. I don't know how lacto-vegetarians usually see cheese products in the case of the crap from calves stomaches, but I assume most of them eat cheese and pizza and such so ..

It would definitly not be vegan.

There also exist among others whole milk proteins, casein (major protein in the milk), egg and in the case of vegetarian proteins:
    soy which is most common,
    rice which is also of high quality,
    pea which has a worse amino acid profile taste pea but complement the rice good and finally
    hemp which is more of a whole food product with less protein and more fat acids and other nutrients, also the highest price.

Beyond those kinda all amino acid products will be vegan, so you most bcaa and eaa products would work, the issues there could be in other ingredients and things like flavorings or colors.

I use lots of local brand "Bodyscience EAA-X" and EAA-XX and also got Controlled Labs Purple Wraath.

Jonah0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The response from Optimum Nutrition is not consistent. Based on the reply on their ******** page their rennet is from various sources including animal, microbial and vegetable. See for reference ********. com/optimumnutrition/posts/10152148872574952 (i wasnt allowed to post a url so added a 'space' in the link)

Location: Manchester, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) faipdeooiad has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Jonah0 View Post
    The response from Optimum Nutrition is not consistent. Based on the reply on their ******** page their rennet is from various sources including animal, microbial and vegetable. See for reference ********. com/optimumnutrition/posts/10152148872574952 (i wasnt allowed to post a url so added a 'space' in the link)
    It may not be consistent but this was posted 6 years ago you turnip.
    Strong & Unstable

neeshabhatia94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by killaa99 View Post

Thanks a lot!
    you will get a whole list of vegetable protein which is a rich source of protein, but does we actually have the time to consume all this in our hasty and busy life? I have been through the same it is not easy to co pup with this fast moving life. hence there I personally believe in consuming something which is easy to make and takes less time, keep me energized and healthy,
    I have recently started consuming this veg protein powder, and just after few days I have started feeling the difference I am not lazy or tired anymore, my skin has started glowing and my hairs are looking good. SoProNutri is a complete package of nutrition and protein, with no side effects.