FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Major calorie surplus a problem when bulking??

Im on a bulk at the moment and i was just wondering if i need to be reali strict with my portion management. I no i am definately eating enough (hitting at least 4000 cals a day) i was just wondering if a MAJOR calorie surplus is a problem. As im not reali bothered about my fat management at present should i be worried about eating TOO much and could this hinder my muscle mass gaining in any way?? Or is it simply a case of the more the better when bulking.

Also its a relatively clean bulk, sticking to rices, pasta, olive oil, chicken , tuna things like that.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by FrazerPrescott; 09-20-2009 at 11:50 AM.
    To deny your impluses is to deny what makes you human.

tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    From a body composition aspect "clean" or "dirty" bulk doesn't matter that much. And yes, giant caloric surplus is a problem; you'll gain giant amount of fat that won't be that easy to cut off later.

But since you say you don't care about that, then I guess it really isn't such a big deal. It won't hurt your progress, no. But if I were you, I'd reconsider getting fat on a bulk. That shouldn't even be called a bulk but simply becoming a fatass with some muscle. Your choice...

FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) FrazerPrescott has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by tagun View Post
    From a body composition aspect "clean" or "dirty" bulk doesn't matter that much. And yes, giant caloric surplus is a problem; you'll gain giant amount of fat that won't be that easy to cut off later.

But since you say you don't care about that, then I guess it really isn't such a big deal. It won't hurt your progress, no. But if I were you, I'd reconsider getting fat on a bulk. That shouldn't even be called a bulk but simply becoming a fatass with some muscle. Your choice...
    LOL!!! k so maybe jus monitor it slightly to make sure im reali not packing on the useless pounds but other than that i should be ok to enjoy myself a little bit.

tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tagun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by FrazerPrescott View Post
    LOL!!! k so maybe jus monitor it slightly to make sure im reali not packing on the useless pounds but other than that i should be ok to enjoy myself a little bit.
    Yeah, I mean whatever works for you. Just don't get upset if in 2 years time you get to this point and realize you did something wrong. Remember this thread then. j/k

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i've made other posts related to this, but i think the biggest points based on what you asked are:

1) clean or drity bulk doesn't matter if you're hitting your numbers, but if you're not paying very much attention to any numbers than this so called dirty bulk will likely make it easy to go too high.
    2) there is such a thing as too high. i've been there and bulking too fast can surely lead to disappointment eventually with all the fat gain.
    3) you'll only truely know what's too much for you if you at least make some effort to keep track of what you eat day in day out, even if just slightly, you should be somewhat aware of it. otherwise when you put on fat too fat or mass not fast enough how will you know what calorie level does either for you?

good luck and train hard.
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

Thumbs up

Cheers for the advice. I wasnt sure if my macros was that important but now i can see maybe i could be massivly shocked and dissapointed if i neglect them. Thanks again guys. Repped, not that it makes a difference yet!!! lol!

No problem whatsoever! Best of luck on your ... controlled bulk.

Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Time2BulkUp has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with most of the points. I think the one thing I learned as a 1st time bulker is PATIENCE. I been bulking for about 4 months now and started off the wrong way. Instead of upping my calories gradually to see what works best, I went full force at the top and started gaining weight (which was good), but I think a good portion of it is/was fat. So, now I'm cutting down slightly to see what works best for me.

I honestly think starting off is the hardest part. Just self-discovering your own body is a challenge because everyone is so unique and different that your range of development can be so drastic.

Best advice I can give is to go up gradually and find your perfect range. Takes lots of time and patience, but it's better to do it slowly and the right way vs. making mistakes and trying to get back on track later.

DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10) DominicN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by tagun View Post
    Yeah, I mean whatever works for you. Just don't get upset if in 2 years time you get to this point and realize you did something wrong. Remember this thread then. j/k

Don't be hard on dreamer, he made a great deal of progress since then.

Hey, I ain't haitin'! He's just a good example of a bulk gone bad; exactly what O/P was headed for. I'm quite sad for dreamer by the way (all that time + the type of results), really do hope he improved!

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Keep your cals only a few hundred over maintenence. You can only put on a couple pounds of muscle a month no matter HOW much you eat. Then youre going into a defecit to cut a bunch and that means adding no muscle. Just take it slow and smart.
    A lot of people want an excuse to over eat.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    Keep your cals only a few hundred over maintenence. You can only put on a couple pounds of muscle a month no matter HOW much you eat. Then youre going into a defecit to cut a bunch and that means adding no muscle. Just take it slow and smart.
    A lot of people want an excuse to over eat.
    after being SOOOO unbelievably strict on my cut and seeing the perfect results i was looking for i think this was where i was headin...jus an excuse to overeat. again thanks for all the advice definately needed it!!!