Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SchoolBoii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation Best Back exercises (between shoulder blades)

What are some execises that i could perform that would give me results quickly for the part of your back between your shoulder blades? I want to and really seriously need to beef that part of me up! My shoulder blades poke out and i look like a bird or something lol
    Things worth havin' dont come easy. Look at Arnold Swarzenagger, LL Cool J, Barry Bonds, Reggie Bush, and lastly but not limited to RAY LEWIS!

keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000) keys_10 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your looking at the bottom of your traps and rhomboid, T-Bar row should do the trick.
    Really squeeze the target muscle at the top of the movement.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The muscle group you're referring to is known as 'trapezius'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezius_muscle

Some good exercises to hit that area are :-

1. BB/DB shrugs
    2. BB/cable upright rows
    3. Behind the back shrugs
    4. Deadlifts

BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BuckSpin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Probably rows or shrugs down right, but a tidbit picked up from Victor Martinez is that the narrower the grip, the more it hits exactly where you describe. He got that from Dorian Yates & Johnnie Jackson, who have some of the freakiest traps ever.
    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure"

callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) callmeG has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    deadlifts
    overhand rows
    tbar rows
    middle back shrugs

Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Al Swearengen has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    quickly = not a damn thing will help you

hard work over several months/years = all the above ^^

Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;
    none but ourselves can free our minds

Marcus Garvey

Registered User CaptainGorgeous's Avatar
    CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500) CaptainGorgeous is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    T-bar rows or BB rows with the torso angled at around 45 degrees.

lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10) lulswut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is one of the areas of my back that is most developed, and I have done DB single arm rows (bent over the bench or standing), chins (varying grips), deadlifts and shrugs.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    full ROM on any row.

cantide5ga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Best IMO, is a rack deadlift. Focusing on the most amount of weight while still being able to hold your shoulders back. You need to look at that area as isometrically holding things together, as other mentioned exercises lengthen and contract other muscles to get those movements done. That area is hardly a prime mover in most cases.
    NSCA-CPT

Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Reverse grip bent over rows have worked well for me.
    It's time to get NASTY!

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    DB Rows (with both arms at the same time) and T-bar rows with the 25 lb plates for a larger range of motion and to emphasize that area.

johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    chinups and deadlifts and 2 rules go heavy and hard.
    Dont have negative thoughts. Remember your mantra.

RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RoccoTanno123 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    rows (esp. t-bar and bent over) and deadlifts

jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50) jack_of_all will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The shoulderblades sticking out could be scapular winging (Google it). Depending on the cause lifting may or may not fix it.
    Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one.

Lift the damn weight, and eat the damn food. It's as hard and as complicated as you make it.

starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50) starting-big will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BuckSpin View Post
    Probably rows or shrugs down right, but a tidbit picked up from Victor Martinez is that the narrower the grip, the more it hits exactly where you describe. He got that from Dorian Yates & Johnnie Jackson, who have some of the freakiest traps ever.
    this CG rows or shrugs will work well.. focus on the squeeze and form
    MMC 2009 Conan

Yes. I'm bigger than you. hessunit's Avatar
    hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000) hessunit is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    The muscle group you're referring to is known as 'trapezius'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezius_muscle

Some good exercises to hit that area are :-

1. BB/DB shrugs
    2. BB/cable upright rows
    3. Behind the back shrugs
    4. Deadlifts
    That's rather assumptive, no?

Sounded more like mid and lower traps and romboids...? So, if that's the case, any kind of row should help more than shrugs.

A lot of guys are saying to go narrow, but I would say try something different. A narrow, seated cable row, done properly....squeezing the elbows back and together should really hit the lower lats hard. In my experience, a wide neutral grip row will hit this area better.

Also try prone incline shrugs at about 45 degrees.
    Lift smart.

I rear ended a car this morning...the driver that got out of the other car was a dwarf !!
    He looked up at me and said "I am NOT Happy!"
    So I said, "Well, which one ARE you then?"
    That's how the fight started.

"The two best activities for your health are pumping and humping"
    Arnold Swarzenegger

....done. Phew.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hessunit View Post
    That's rather assumptive, no?
    Sounded more like mid and lower traps and romboids...? So, if that's the case, any kind of row should help more than shrugs.
    A lot of guys are saying to go narrow, but I would say try something different. A narrow, seated cable row, done properly....squeezing the elbows back and together should really hit the lower lats hard. In my experience, a wide neutral grip row will hit this area better.
    Also try prone incline shrugs at about 45 degrees.
    The OP said, "My shoulder blades poke out and i look like a bird or something". Looks like he has no trap development.

Yeah, narrow grip bentover BB rows will do the trick. I know they hit the rear delts but if you really squueze, they will hit the rhomboids too. Close grip pulldowns work well too.

I love neutral grip pullups to hit the lower lats (shoulder width).

kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) kitarpyar is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SchoolBoii View Post
    What are some execises that i could perform that would give me results quickly for the part of your back between your shoulder blades? I want to and really seriously need to beef that part of me up! My shoulder blades poke out and i look like a bird or something lol
    Deadlifts, Heavy shrugs, high pulls, power-cleans, bent-over barbell rows.

Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000) Confuzzl3dOn3 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Quick question - which exercise is best for building the lats and traps to get that nice and wide V back. Would you say pull-ups, rows or power cleans? I was just wondering because Rippetoe advises doing cleans, but i just do kethnab's variation doing pendlay's rows instead. Would i benefit more just sucking it up and doing power cleans instead even if i have no idea how to do em?

imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50) imasavage will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Confuzzl3dOn3 View Post
    Quick question - which exercise is best for building the lats and traps to get that nice and wide V back. Would you say pull-ups, rows or power cleans? I was just wondering because Rippetoe advises doing cleans, but i just do kethnab's variation doing pendlay's rows instead. Would i benefit more just sucking it up and doing power cleans instead even if i have no idea how to do em?
    I'd do the rows. Rows are notorious for beefing up the back, and besides power cleans is such a huge movement. I'd rather put the focus on the back with a row.
    akkxn - just lift heavy ****.

Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000) Opies is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Confuzzl3dOn3 View Post
    wide grip pullups are generally the best for building width. Rows are better for building thickness

SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) SquatTilYouDrop has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
    quickly = not a damn thing will help you

hard work over several months/years = all the above ^^
    Hit the nail on the head!

Time + Hard work. The OP, wants what most people in here have been working their asses off for years now.

If only it were that easy. If only!

BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BFJ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    band scapular retractions, there's a good vid of matt kroc doing them on youtube. you really have to focus on where you initiate the movement (by squeezing the shoulder blades) not horizontally extending the arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpy2R...e=channel_page

no hate on matt kroc, he's a beast, but i like to have my arms a little lower than this to really focus on the middle/lower traps
    barbell1.com - home of The Barbell1 Show - the only 5 day/wk Online Radio on building muscle
    Listened to in 171 Countries, Downloaded 1.3 million X in 2014-15
    Get it free on iTunes and Stitcher Radio for your mobile device!

About me:
    MS in Sports Dietetics
    Registered Dietitian
    BS in ESS
    NSCA Certified Personal Trainer

Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mikael92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    just make sure you start any movement with your shoulder blades retracted and depressed....and keep them that way during the movement.....and then really squeeze at the end of the movement.

zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) zildjian_4 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BFJ View Post
    band scapular retractions, there's a good vid of matt kroc doing them on youtube. you really have to focus on where you initiate the movement (by squeezing the shoulder blades) not horizontally extending the arms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpy2R...e=channel_page

no hate on matt kroc, he's a beast, but i like to have my arms a little lower than this to really focus on the middle/lower traps
    cool, however, the tension when your arms are forward isnt there, nor is it there at the end when your arms are straight.. doing these with cables is much better since theres more tension through the whole movement

ps, tht dude does 300x7 db rows...lol...never seen that b4.

SchoolBoii has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey guys wow you reallly reply super quick. thanks for the support, all of this knowledge will really help me out because i did not really have an idea of how to approach developing that part of my body. you guys are awesome
    Things worth havin' dont come easy. Look at Arnold Swarzenagger, LL Cool J, Barry Bonds, Reggie Bush, and lastly but not limited to RAY LEWIS!

Registered User fatgingabastard's Avatar
    fatgingabastard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Face Pulls

Hey SchoolBoii I used to have same problem area. Although not as bad thanks to extra body fat! The answer is Face pulls! Have a look on youtube.
    Fatgingabastard

Originally Posted by SchoolBoii View Post
    hey guys wow you reallly reply super quick. thanks for the support, all of this knowledge will really help me out because i did not really have an idea of how to approach developing that part of my body. you guys are awesome

Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50) Niblixdark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by fatgingabastard View Post
    hey schoolboii i used to have same problem area. Although not as bad thanks to extra body fat! The answer is face pulls! Have a look on youtube.
    Fatgingabastard

1#

_OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000) _OZ_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rhomboids are hit nicely with this exercise, rearward shrugs. Use different levels of incline to emphasise different fibers.