latintrpt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

boxer's fracture :(

so i got a boxer's fracture on august 30st, not the brightess time off my life. I had surgery on September 1st. They had to insert a pin to hold the bone straight, 5th bone of metacarpal. Before august 30th i use to workout 5 times a week for 8 months. What I am worried about now is atrophy and how to overcome this injury and get back to the gym asap. Anybody have some insight?

Thanks

ChemAg07 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You'll def lose a little strength, if not muscle, but it's better not to push your luck and reinjure/worsen it. Let your hand heal, then start training again and ease into it. Start real slow, adding weight each set until it's work but not uncomfortable.

Also, when I broke my R wrist I started doing 1-handers with my left (weaker hand) and plyometrics. Maybe use this time to focus on your leg work and increase your sprints/endurance.
    B.S., NASM-CPT, FNS
    National Strength & Conditioning Association (NSCA)
    =========================
    If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go you'll find you've gone.
    Those who begin buy burning books will end by burning men. - Heinrich Heine
    Live to Ride - Ride to Die.

latintrpt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply. I just saw the Dr. and they put a hard cast on. 2-4 weeks in this cast with the pin still inserted. How do i maintain the muscle mass i have right now? That's what i'm concerned about. Im going to consider doing those other exercises.

Originally Posted by ChemAg07 View Post
    You'll def lose a little strength, if not muscle, but it's better not to push your luck and reinjure/worsen it. Let your hand heal, then start training again and ease into it. Start real slow, adding weight each set until it's work but not uncomfortable.

Also, when I broke my R wrist I started doing 1-handers with my left (weaker hand) and plyometrics. Maybe use this time to focus on your leg work and increase your sprints/endurance.

Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kiwi_Kid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think you have to accept that you will loose some muscle and strength, be thankful it's only 2-4 weeks in the cast and not more.

Like he said, hit the legs and get them bigger.
    " The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Coming back from injury

Current 5RM

Bench 5x80kg
    Squat 5x120kg
    Dead 5x120kg
    Millitary 5x60kg

Registered User honda954racer03's Avatar
    honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50) honda954racer03 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am on my third boxers fracture right now it really sucks. Its been 3 months for me and could easily be 1 or 2 more before I am fully back. After you get the pins out it still heals for a long time then you have to strecth and get rid of scar tissue. I have been doing abs, lower back, legs and cardio which really sucks and is boring. How ever I am starting to like cardio more and more. Its a different way to workout and if you really push yourself hard you feel amazing. It also has a wierd way of tightening everything on your body up and keeping your arms, chest and back firm and defined.