Closed Thread
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Question about barbell bench press - I work out on my own so I have been doing DB bench presses for a few years, but I want to get start putting barbell bench presses into my workouts. Just curious about how much more a person can typically lift on barbell compared to DB, for example is it X lbs DB = ~1.5X Barbell.

stephypoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    For the medial deltoid, lateral raises and upright rows are the "go-to" exercises. Since lateral raises are bothering your shoulder, you could try upright rows, but those tend to give people trouble more often than laterals. But you never know.

Another thing you could try is to try different lateral raise variants: leaning lateral raises, lying lateral raises, using cables instead of DB's (or vice versa), etc. to see if one of those works better for you.

Any kind of weight bearing lift I do laterally (from hip to top of shoulder) makes the insides of my shoulder feel the bones are crushing themselves to dust. I have continued to do lateral lifts because I know the benefits sometimes outweigh the risks, but I can barley do just my arm weight anymore. Upright rows seem to not affect my shoulder, but between shoulder presses and upright rows - what else is there? Bent over laterals won't work the medial head...am I doomed to small shoulders forever (or at least until my shoulder joint decides this in not an optional program?)

medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) medjen has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Fenix266 View Post
    Question about barbell bench press - I work out on my own so I have been doing DB bench presses for a few years, but I want to get start putting barbell bench presses into my workouts. Just curious about how much more a person can typically lift on barbell compared to DB, for example is it X lbs DB = ~1.5X Barbell.
    There's not really a solid answer for this. Take your total DB weight, load up a bar and see where it goes. Taking a set or two to feel out the correct working weight is totally normal.
    -

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by stephypoo View Post
    Any kind of weight bearing lift I do laterally (from hip to top of shoulder) makes the insides of my shoulder feel the bones are crushing themselves to dust. I have continued to do lateral lifts because I know the benefits sometimes outweigh the risks, but I can barley do just my arm weight anymore. Upright rows seem to not affect my shoulder, but between shoulder presses and upright rows - what else is there? Bent over laterals won't work the medial head...am I doomed to small shoulders forever (or at least until my shoulder joint decides this in not an optional program?)
    I would say that it would be best for you to drop the laterals, at least until you talk to a doctor to see what's going on there. It's not a good idea to just "work through the pain" when it's this type of situation.

If upright rows don't bother your shoulders, then make this your medial delt exercise; you don't need more than one good exercise here, really. A combination of shoulder presses, upright rows, and a rear delt exercise such as face pulls or bent over flyes should work your shoulders nicely.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by stephypoo View Post
    I have been doing many shoulder exercises, and whenever I come the the lateral raises, my shoulder "pops" something awful. I've lowered the weight to 3 lbs, and yet it still happens. I really need to work the medial head or front of my delts...what should I do?
    \/\/\/
    I would say that it would be best for you to drop the laterals, at least until you talk to a doctor to see what's going on there. It's not a good idea to just "work through the pain" when it's this type of situation.

If upright rows don't bother your shoulders, then make this your medial delt exercise; you don't need more than one good exercise here, really. A combination of shoulder presses, upright rows, and a rear delt exercise such as face pulls or bent over flyes should work your shoulders nicely.
    That, if it even hurts with just your arms, that is a serious issue. You need to get it checked out.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

BlackHawk12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice post!

MiguelCampano has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rippedachilles View Post
    +1 very good post
    +2.

brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) brightmix has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I wanted to show my appreciation to the operator who took care of me while making an order on
    http://www.favoruggs.com http://www.veryverycheap.us
    http://www.godiscount.us
    http://www.powergolding.com

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Meh good post Vox. Not as good as some of your other stickies though

Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Fenix266 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by medjen View Post
    There's not really a solid answer for this. Take your total DB weight, load up a bar and see where it goes. Taking a set or two to feel out the correct working weight is totally normal.
    I ended up slightly over 1.2X DB weight. I didn't want to go any heavier just yet without a spotter.

Registered User PabloDiazMorales's Avatar
    PabloDiazMorales has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PabloDiazMorales has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Bench question

What am I doing worng sometimes when I bench press, decline or incline my lat musle (right side of my middle back) seems to cramp up when lifting heavy it's annoying. I arch my lower back a how your suppose to and puff my chest a little idk whats wrong.

dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10) dolorem is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    is it bad to always complete a set til failure?

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dolorem View Post
    is it bad to always complete a set til failure?
    I don't know that I'd use the word "bad". It's more that it's not necessary or even optimal. If you are taking each and every set you do to failure (you struggle and fail on the final rep of that set), then I'd say that's overdoing it. If you take only the last rep of the last set of each exercise to failure, then that's fine.

However, once you get to the point where you know your body well enough to know when you've hit that point that you've done the last good rep you'll be able to do, it's fine to stop there. As long as you're progressing each week, you're good to go.

The thing about training to failure is that it's hard on the Central Nervous System, and the more you tax the CNS, the longer it takes to recover - not just that muscle, but the body in general. So, like everything else, you have to balance how you train with how well you recover.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

furqanrauf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Imbalance Muscles

Yes. If you began with 2 or 3 sets of 8-12 reps for each exercise done 3 times per week you will definitely see results. Start here for a guide on each exercise:

Eventually, when you feel that you are strong enough and lifting enough weight that 3 times per week seems too much, then it will be time to divide up the exercises into a split (upper body, lower body, etc.)
    Thanks for the awesome post, I have a question an important one. I have muscle imbalances some of my muscles are bigger on either sides like some of my muscles are bigger on right side and some on left I talk to my friend about it he said its because my right side is dominating in all sports I play. Help me out, how can I balance my body. I can send you some pictures if you want

MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000) MattyG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Good stuff

(つ◠‿◠)つ*•.★.•*•.★.•* •.★.• bambarby's Avatar
    bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000) bambarby is a name known to all. (+5000)
    According to the original post I will get big faster with 8-10 reps instead of 4-6 reps? I thought training for strength = bigger size also.

Originally Posted by bambarby View Post
    According to the original post I will get big faster with 8-10 reps instead of 4-6 reps? I thought training for strength = bigger size also.
    Not necessarily, no. As a starting point, an 8-10 rep range generally works well for building size, whereas a 4-6 rep range is often used to bias toward strength gains.

However, there's far more to it than that, including how many sets, how many exercises (total volume), rest periods, individual muscle fiber types, body part training frequency, etc.

jorelljorell has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    muscles at the bottom of my butt is sore after i did squats. is that the muscle that must be worked on squats? TIA

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jorelljorell View Post
    muscles at the bottom of my butt is sore after i did squats. is that the muscle that must be worked on squats? TIA
    It is one of them.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50) flexworth will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IThe thing about training to failure is that it's hard on the Central Nervous System, and the more you tax the CNS, the longer it takes to recover - not just that muscle, but the body in general. So, like everything else, you have to balance how you train with how well you recover.
    I recently read an article on this man. I guess it would make sense to make sure your larger body parts have a day or 2 of rest between then, right? (such as Back on Monday, then Legs on Wed or Thurs rather than Back, then Legs...both of those take a toll on your CNS).

Great post man!
    Jason Stallworth

Owner of TheMuscleProgram.com
    www.themuscleprogram.com

'Do or do not; there is no try.' - Master Yoda

kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100) kenny001 is not very well liked. (-100)

Answers to Common Questions

i also want to know the answers for some common questions, and i believe in that some of the people also want to know like me. here we got it, thank you for posting them for us, we are great for them.

fit4business has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was wondering, is it better to let's say on the day i do chest and triceps, to do straight chest exercises and then do straight tricep exercises or should i do a chest exercise then a tricep exercise? Please help

Originally Posted by fit4business View Post
    I was wondering, is it better to let's say on the day i do chest and triceps, to do straight chest exercises and then do straight tricep exercises or should i do a chest exercise then a tricep exercise? Please help
    Most do all chest exercises, then triceps exercises.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Originally Posted by fit4business View Post
    In the end of the day, it doesn't matter. In very general terms, it's usually a good strategy to work from the biggest, heaviest lifts down to the smallest. This ensures you have the most energy when you need it. However, if you are trying to bring up a certain muscle then it can pay to put those exercises first in the rotation.

dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100) dextermr is not very well liked. (-100)

Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Is it bad to take a water break in between sets? or is that too much time?

Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flubbler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, especially for a nice bumm

Originally Posted by jorelljorell View Post

Impaired has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A Deadlifting question; well, more like a crappy gym staff issue.

I have been told off twice in the last three weeks by staff members at the new gym I'm at that I am 'smashing' the weight on to the floor while I Deadlift (apparently it's not good for me). They tell me that the bar should not even touch the ground when I Deadlift (Huh?).

When I ask them how it should be done they show me a screwed up version between a squat and a romanian Deadlift instead. One even had the guts to tell me he had surgery BECAUSE of Deadlifting - I'm no expert, but with the form he showed me, I wasn't surprised.

Now, while I do not Deadlift much (only 300 lbs), I know for a fact that me 'smashing' the weight is NOT an issue - I lower it in a controlled (but not snail slow) manner all the way down, so no dropping at all.

Anyway. I am trapped in this gym for the next 3 months (contract); any suggestions on what I can do to politely tell them to f**k off if it happens again?

FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FatZillllla is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ok can someone help me...

Im 6'
    21 y.o. male
    and weight 245lbs (down from 330lbs)

I still have a good 45lbs-55lbs (even more) to lose
    I lost the weight by concentrating on my diet and doing cardio
    My diet is nothing special, just keeping a calorie deficit (eating around 1800-2200cals)
    I used to do 5 cardio per week (45-55mins on a treadmill + rowing machine)

Now, I want to start weight training
    Im extremely weak
    I could barely bench press 3 sets of 8 with two 35lbs plates
    I could only bicep curl 3 sets of 8 with 25lbs dumbbells
    and so on...

My primary goal right now is to drop the remaining extra weight and hopefully get down to 185-200lbs and then start bulking to add as much muscle mass as I could

What do u guys suggest me to do for weight training based on my current goal?

How many sets and reps? how many times per week? what type of exercises?

p.s. I have read this thread and as much as some of theses stuff do make sense, lets just pretend that I know nothing

jcr13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good thread, its going to help me out alot, thanks man..