Spider52 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Triathlon question

Hi all, This is my first post so I will try to keep it short...

Let me start by saying great site. if I have posted this in the wrong spot, or am posting a taboo or something I should have done an advanced search on first, then let me know....

Currently: I am a competitive triathlete (Sprint,OLY,HIM). Former contact-ball-sport guy. 5'11 180, (down about 40 lbs this year. I am currently logging around 16 hours of triathlon training/week (12 cardio/4 weights). My weight program consists of 7 or 8 exercises - dumbbell bench, front squat, core crap, shoulder press, dead/clean, pull ups and rows. Usually 2 or 3 sets of 10. Diet is balanced and I typically take Designer whey after my workouts.

I was wondering if someone can direct me to either a program, or part of this site, where I can get an idea of a program that will:
    - Add leg and core strength for aero and HIM run distances.
    - Utilize dynamic exercises such as cross-fit type stuff
    - Promote muscular stamina (balancing fast/slow twitch muscles)
    - Maintain (and grow) a muscular upper body amidst a heavy cardio lifestyle (I have lean, but large legs and am starting to look out of balance with round shoulders and a 40inch chest.

Thank you

beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10) beerbellyUK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Spider52 View Post
    Hi all, This is my first post so I will try to keep it short...

Let me start by saying great site. if I have posted this in the wrong spot, or am posting a taboo or something I should have done an advanced search on first, then let me know....

Currently: I am a competitive triathlete (Sprint,OLY,HIM). Former contact-ball-sport guy. 5'11 180, (down about 40 lbs this year. I am currently logging around 16 hours of triathlon training/week (12 cardio/4 weights). My weight program consists of 7 or 8 exercises - dumbbell bench, front squat, core crap, shoulder press, dead/clean, pull ups and rows. Usually 2 or 3 sets of 10. Diet is balanced and I typically take Designer whey after my workouts.

I was wondering if someone can direct me to either a program, or part of this site, where I can get an idea of a program that will:
    - Add leg and core strength for aero and HIM run distances.
    - Utilize dynamic exercises such as cross-fit type stuff
    - Promote muscular stamina (balancing fast/slow twitch muscles)
    - Maintain (and grow) a muscular upper body amidst a heavy cardio lifestyle (I have lean, but large legs and am starting to look out of balance with round shoulders and a 40inch chest.

Thank you

Competative? Ditch the weights. You want to be as light as possible, unless of course you only compete in pan flat events. Large muscles are pretty bad for endurance, both because of weight, and the fact that they simply use more blood (larger area of diffusion).

I would say work on the core strength though, I've found it does wonders for my hill climbing, and although a little heavier because of it, my hilly TT times have shot upwards.