OurIronLungs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nasm in two weeks- freaking out!

So I bought the NASM CPT materials and tests in May, because I didn't think I'd be able to go to college during the summer semester, for personal reasons. Turns out that I did end up going all summer long and ended up just recently getting out of school, and then running errands for my family. I just realized that I pretty much have until the 11th of September to take the test. That means I pretty much just have 2 weeks of studying left, and I haven't studied at all as of yet.

Do you guys think I can do it? I'm pretty good at studying and retaining the information. So I have a couple of questions:

If you're NASM certified, how long did you study for? Do you think I can pull it off?

What should I do? Read the book twice and marathon the DVDs?

I need study tips for this ASAP, I have no idea how this exam will work. Is it difficult?

The bright side is that the next two weeks I have absolutely nothing else to do. No school, no work, no chores, no ANYTHING. I have all day every day to study, with no distractions. I just need some reassurance, what do you guys think?

Moral of the story- don't leave things for the last minute. But I really don't want to think that I wasted $500+ on nothing.
    Last edited by OurIronLungs; 08-28-2009 at 12:28 AM.

bump? So i've decided to read 3 chapters a day, including watching the DVDs. Would like some input though...

Originally Posted by OurIronLungs View Post
    So I bought the NASM CPT materials and tests in May, because I didn't think I'd be able to go to college during the summer semester, for personal reasons. Turns out that I did end up going all summer long and ended up just recently getting out of school, and then running errands for my family. I just realized that I pretty much have until the 11th of September to take the test. That means I pretty much just have 2 weeks of studying left, and I haven't studied at all as of yet.

Do you guys think I can do it? I'm pretty good at studying and retaining the information. So I have a couple of questions:

If you're NASM certified, how long did you study for? Do you think I can pull it off?

I need study tips for this ASAP, I have no idea how this exam will work. Is it difficult?

The bright side is that the next two weeks I have absolutely nothing else to do. No school, no work, no chores, no ANYTHING. I have all day every day to study, with no distractions. I just need some reassurance, what do you guys think?

Moral of the story- don't leave things for the last minute. But I really don't want to think that I wasted $500+ on nothing.

Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Burial has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Is it possible in 2 weeks? Yes I think it is depending on the person.. If you have a background in lifting and working out you should have a much easier time with the material. The problem is that NASM is really picky about how things are worded.. Everything has to follow the OPT model and their little bible of progression.

Major things I would focus on for the the test if I had 2 weeks-

kinetic chain
    program design
    fitness assessment
    cardio
    know all the different tempo's
    the business relation and rapport

DONT waste your time with trying to learn every muscle and underactive/overactive etc because they have maybe 1-2 questions that cover it on the exam

Thanks man, that was just the kind of advice I was looking for. So I think what I'm going to do is go through the book and read it once...after I'm done I will just go back and focus on the list of things you mentioned and I will marathon the damn DVDs till it sticks. lol

sounds doable?

PS: By the way, how recently did you take your exam?

I'm a little worried about the definitions, people say to focus on 'em but damn there are so many...I think I'm just going to tune in to the definitions of the first four chapters lol.

Originally Posted by Burial View Post
    Is it possible in 2 weeks? Yes I think it is depending on the person.. If you have a background in lifting and working out you should have a much easier time with the material. The problem is that NASM is really picky about how things are worded.. Everything has to follow the OPT model and their little bible of progression.

Major things I would focus on for the the test if I had 2 weeks-

kinetic chain
    program design
    fitness assessment
    cardio
    know all the different tempo's
    the business relation and rapport

DONT waste your time with trying to learn every muscle and underactive/overactive etc because they have maybe 1-2 questions that cover it on the exam
    Last edited by OurIronLungs; 08-28-2009 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks lol I will keep you guys posted.

Originally Posted by xTJBx View Post
    Good luck i hope you can cram study and retrain what is going to be on the test its not to bad but there are alot of twist with nasm

Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigswole3420 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hey I'm kinda in the same boat as you.. I bought the exam materials in May as well, and I have till this friday (sept. 4) to take the exam.. I also had the option of taking college summer courses or studying for the exam, and I chose to study for the exam, except I didn't study very much at all..Maybe a total of 7 hours from may till now which is horrible...But just go here http://www.starting-a-personal-train...nasm-exam.html and various people give advise about what you really need to focus on studying.. I still haven't taken the exam yet, but I'll let you know how it goes after I take it in the next 6 days.

dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dantheman212 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

HAHA. I ordered the exam back in April and then forgot about it over the summer while I was in school. I really didn't even open the text until about a week before taking the test. I took it last week and passed on my first attempt. It really helps if you alredy have a base knowledge of anatomy and training technique. just take the time and read the text. go through the study guide as well. that helped me a ton. good luck.
    NASM-CPT

"Government is not the solution to our problem, Government is the problem."
    -Ronald Reagan

Freedom isn't free! Proud to be a Soldier.

That's awesome man. Well not awesome that we have such short time left obviously LOL but that someone else is on the same boat...there's this guy on that site that you gave me the link to (Thanks, btw.) and the guy said he only studied for 8-10 days and passed...so I'll just follow his guidelines lol...

(I tried to post the url to his but this says I need more than 30 posts to be able to post links and images...wtf?)

Anyway man let me know how you do. I have faith that with enough effort we can pass this thing lol.

lol i hope i have the same brain capacity. i'm halfway through chapter two and finding it a really hard read. but its all about determination! what were like the most concentrated stuff on your exam by the way?

Originally Posted by dantheman212 View Post
    HAHA. I ordered the exam back in April and then forgot about it over the summer while I was in school. I really didn't even open the text until about a week before taking the test. I took it last week and passed on my first attempt. It really helps if you alredy have a base knowledge of anatomy and training technique. just take the time and read the text. go through the study guide as well. that helped me a ton. good luck.

RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RiVaL6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I got the NASM package where it came with flashcards. I looked through it here and there, but never for more than 10 mins at a time. I studied the text book for 3 hours the night before the test.

I went in, clicked for about 20 mins, and I was done.

If you've been a part if fitness for a long time, you'll be fine.
    If you stumbled onto this thing so you could have a cool job, good luck to you.

any updates?

I PASSED! guess i'll be fine AND have a cool job

Originally Posted by RiVaL6 View Post
    I got the NASM package where it came with flashcards. I looked through it here and there, but never for more than 10 mins at a time. I studied the text book for 3 hours the night before the test.

I went in, clicked for about 20 mins, and I was done.

If you've been a part if fitness for a long time, you'll be fine.
    If you stumbled onto this thing so you could have a cool job, good luck to you.