believe7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice/Tips on convincing your clients to buy more sessions?

I've had a couple clients who say they can't afford training, which is definitely understandable but I know some of them can def. make it work if they did before.

I'm just trying to learn ways to help them know that they need to continue to train with me, especially if they've only purchased 3-12 sessions...which is barely even scratching the surface of the journey they are beginning.
    Just curious if anybody else runs into this at their gym. Let me know...anything will help!
    Thanks so much, Happy Humpday!
    Last edited by believe7; 08-26-2009 at 05:05 PM.
    "If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done." --Vince Lombardi

MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Results
    www.bodysolutionskc.com

Originally Posted by MT1979 View Post
    Results
    I understand Results will help them want more...but 3 sessions isn't going to get you any results....
    "If you believe in yourself and have the courage, the determination, the dedication, the competitive drive and if you are willing to sacrifice the little things in life and pay the price for the things that are worthwhile, it can be done." --Vince Lombardi

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, you can start by Not offering 3-session packages.

Most trainers in my area only offer packages that start at 4 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year (3-4 sessions per week). They always are busy. They rarely offer any packages that last less than a month.

You can still offer a "getting started" package which is a weeks worth of sessions--so new clients can see if they want to keep going--but urge the clients to go for the long-term packages.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lasharm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also, if you have several clients who are dropping you because they won't shell out the cash for more sessions, you should consider offering group fitness classes (Step, Aerobic, Tempo, Bootcamp, etc...).

You can offer these classes at $5 to $10 a head for a 1 hour block of your time. Most of the trainers in my area conduct around 3 classes a week and make $100-300 per session.

Offering Group classes also brings in new long term clients, gives less well off clients a chance to be trained without emptying their pocket-book, and gives those flakier ones a chance to do the 2-3 sessions before their will gives out and they go back to sitting on the couch.
    ~Coach Rick Sterling Tarleton
    USA Weightlifting, USA Track&Field
    CrossFit L-1, ISSA CFT, Pilates
    www.CoachRickSterling.com

Registered User trance__dreamer's Avatar
    trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) trance__dreamer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Smile

Originally Posted by Lasharm View Post
    Also, if you have several clients who are dropping you because they won't shell out the cash for more sessions, you should consider offering group fitness classes (Step, Aerobic, Tempo, Bootcamp, etc...).

You can offer these classes at $5 to $10 a head for a 1 hour block of your time. Most of the trainers in my area conduct around 3 classes a week and make $100-300 per session.

Offering Group classes also brings in new long term clients, gives less well off clients a chance to be trained without emptying their pocket-book, and gives those flakier ones a chance to do the 2-3 sessions before their will gives out and they go back to sitting on the couch.
    ^^ this! =)

thealchemist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try assuming the close and offering larger packages. I never present less than a 3 month package and rarely have that issue come up with a qualified prospect (Some will, some won't, so what who's next). If it does come up, typically with my college aged clients, I explain the value of having my services for those extra few weeks or months. If all else fails I drop and have them do a 30 minute session at 60-70% of my hourly rate
    Ryan Walker, MS, Nasm- CPT, CES,
    www.alchemyfit.com/blog.html

thanks for all the advice!!

I work @ a corporate gym, that deals w/ memberships also...and sometimes they have membership specials included with personal training, so they'll include a package of 3 sessions...cuz they think it would be an easy re-sign.

But usually I try to sell atleast 12-24 sessions.

MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50) MT1979 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Explain that it takes at least 3 months to see drastic physical changes. Map it out for them at the beginning by setting both long and short term goals. Let them know what to expect, i.e. the first month you can expect to lose x lbs and x % bf. If they want to lose 10% bf, tell them it could take 3 plus months, depending on their consistency/diet. If they "want to try it on their own" ask what they're planning to do different this time. Let them know they are making a lifestyle change and it won't happen over night.

The best comeback for someone that's never worked out but thinks 1x/week will get results. Ask "How long it would take to graduate college if you went to class once a week?"
    www.bodysolutionskc.com

Talking

Originally Posted by MT1979 View Post
    Explain that it takes at least 3 months to see drastic physical changes. Map it out for them at the beginning by setting both long and short term goals. Let them know what to expect, i.e. the first month you can expect to lose x lbs and x % bf. If they want to lose 10% bf, tell them it could take 3 plus months, depending on their consistency/diet. If they "want to try it on their own" ask what they're planning to do different this time. Let them know they are making a lifestyle change and it won't happen over night.

The best comeback for someone that's never worked out but thinks 1x/week will get results. Ask "How long it would take to graduate college if you went to class once a week?"
    GREAT Advice!! Thats an amazing analogy and definitely fits...thanks so much. I hope this helps! Thanks again

PTBizCoach has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Good question

I think the 3 sessions that are offered by your gym are a great way to turn people into LONG term clients.

The first KEY is to find out thier REAL reason for being in the gym and taking advantage of the FREE sessions.

Once you do this in the initial consultation you can now directly address theses issues during your 3 workouts detailing exactly how you are the solution to their issue.

The potential client should realize very quickly that there is much more to getting results than just coming to the gym and that you are much more than just a "rep counter".

You have to stress the value of your services and show them EXACTLY how YOU can help their specific needs/goals and once you can do this effectively the bigger packages will have automatically!

Good luck!
    www.personaltrainingprofitsecrets.com