Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Spinal Decompression?

Just looking to see if anyone has tried out sessions on the DRX9000? I have a herniated disc between L5-S1 and another buldging between L4-L5. The herniated one is kicking my butt with pain as it is putting pressure on my sciatic nerve.

I went through the Cortizone shots but they really didnt do anything for me. Just some temporary relief.

After discussing things with my doctor surgery was the only option that there is. Im not really ready for someone to be in my back and possibly screw me up for life. My family doesnt have a good track record with surgeries... My father was paralyzed and my older sister now has RSD.

I have also talked to several people that have had surgery and it sure seems like most are still having issues or ready to schedule another surgery. I talked to another guy and he pointed me to the spinal decompression stuff. He had surgery first, 1 1/2 years later his back was messed up again and he was ready for surgery. Instead he decided to try the spinal decompression route and said he wished he would have gone that way from the beginning.

I had some meetings with the chiropractor in our area that has the DRX9000. He said my back is really messed up and surprised I am not having more pain. The good news is that I qualified for treatment on the machine.

I am 99% sure I am going to go through with it just was wondering if anyone had any opinions since it is expensive and not covered by insurance. $4500 expensive.
    "He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful."
    -Lao Tzu

-dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have almost the exact same problem as you, except I have a bulging disc between L5-S1 and my spine is slightly curved to the left. The sciatic pain sometimes put me in complete agony and I wouldn't be able to walk for a few days, I wouldn't be able to do normal activities like taking a shower and even standing to brush my teeth was not possible.

I have booked an appointment to a place with a DRX9000 machine as well the following monday, I have read numerous reviews on other forums and boards saying it could possibly make things worse, so i'm very skeptical of it.

But i feel your pain, i wish you the best of luck.

-dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -dubby- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I also forgot to mention that Tylenol 3's had help me as a pain relieve and try icing it too

cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cg73 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have read a bunch online as well. Mixed opinions of course. Two people I talked to local said it gave them great results.

Im on **** and Vicodin for pain right now.
    "He who gains a victory over other men is strong; but he who gains a victory over himself is all powerful."
    -Lao Tzu

they told me is $205 CAN per session, how much they charging u per session?

$120 per session US
    -Lao Tzu

So I have had three sessions so far. Session 1 I was in major pain when I got home. Im not sure what it was from; the adjustment, the DRX machine, the drive home or what it was.

At the second session the chiropractor told me I shouldnt sit much after the sessions. Laying down or standing up and moving is much better. He also told me to take a walk after the work before getting into the car. They went up an additional 10 pounds on the machine.

Session 3, this past Thursday. They went up an additional 10 pounds. Actually felt really good.

Friday I was feeling awesome until I got working on a project at work and was sitting for like two hours. Then I was in a little pain but nowhere near as much as I was.

Today I am feeling pretty good minus the crazy calf cramp I have.

So far I am very glad I decided to go this route. Its weird how early in the treatments I am and am feeling a lot of relief already.
    -Lao Tzu

After finishing 2 short weeks (3 days each) for a total of 6 sessions I honestly cant believe how much better I am feeling. I remember about 3 weeks ago where I was ready to eat a bullet because of the pain. I am having barely any pain. I still get the shooting pains every once in a while but I never expected to be anywhere near where I am today yet. So far I am very happy with the decompression sessions.
    -Lao Tzu

Have had 3 of the 4 sessions this week so far. Feeling pretty good. I have to still take it easy but the general pain I have walking around and doing every day things is getting less and less. Monday I was in a bit of pain but he did some chiropractic Kung-Fu to my back muscles and then adjust the DRX machine and that pain went away.

Right now my main pains, which are very tolerable are my left foot is completely numb, my left calf has crazy muscle spasms from time to time and cramps up, and my left hamstring has some pain.

When he does the adjustments he some times hits the ciatic nerve which almost puts me through the roof.

All in all so far I am very impressed with the process and extremely happy with the results so far.
    -Lao Tzu

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the regular updates. I've never had any major back problems, but I've heard from several powerlifters that surgery for what you've been experiencing should be a last resort. Glad you've found something that has given you some relief.

What's the prognosis? Will there be a point when you can say you're completely "healed"?
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Last the doc said was it will work for some but not for all. He said he is worried about the herniation and it will probably fragment off. He said some times the body just takes care of it other times you have to get surgery but he said at least then you know you have done everything and the surgery isnt that big of a deal since it is just cutting off some fragments.

I had my last treatment for the week today. I am feeling pretty good. I will see how the weekend goes, going out of town to relieve some stress. I just have to be smart.
    -Lao Tzu

Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dr Clay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was initially going to reply and offer my $.02, saying that I would personally try decompression if I were you. But after scrolling down I see that you already have. :-)

I'm really glad to hear that you chose this option and that you are doing really well.

All the best!
    Dr Clay Hyght, DC, CSCS, CISSN
    www.DrClay.com

www.Labrada.com

Labrada Nutrition: "The Most Trusted Name in Sports Nutrition!"

The above is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be used as medical advice. Always consult your doctor prior to beginning any new diet, supplementation, or exercise program.

I had my tenth session last Thursday. Friday I eded up running out of the multi-vitamin the chiropractor has me on so I will have to get more of those tomorrow.

Anyways this weekend I went up to a motorcycle rally up in Northern Wisconsin. Of course I didnt take my cycle...... BUT..... some friends brought a spare and I did take that for a ride. Things went pretty well. Friday night I also test rode another bike. Again things went pretty well. I did a ton of walking most of the weekend. I also stood quite a bit during the cage fights on Saturday. Ended up sleeping on an air mattress. Today I am still feeling really good.

The only thing I have noticed is some massive calf cramping in the leg that has been affected. This could be completely unrelated but I will ask the Chiropractor tomorrow.

I took tomorrow off so I think I am going to go get a massage and have them attack the leg that has been affected by this whole thing.
    -Lao Tzu

Finished up with my 14th session this week. Things are going pretty good. They gave me some new exercises Thursday with the exercise ball for core strength. Im not too sure they are doing much good since the ball really isnt tall enough for me to keep good posture.

Anyone have any suggestions.

I definitely notice if I bend a certain way or twist a bit much that I can get some major weird pains. Im sure that is just going to take time.

So far I have to say the results are pretty amazing. A few months ago I could barely walk or stand up straight, now I feel like I am standing taller then ever and walk pretty good. Obviously I have my days but I didnt expect those would go away this soon.

I just cant wait till I can get back in the gym, do some cardio, some pullups, stuff like that.... I also cant wait to get back on the motorcycle. It has been so hard with the way the weather has been. My Harley is just sitting there collecting dust.
    -Lao Tzu

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Glad it's working for you and VERY smart choice not to have surgery!!!

I work with a Chiro and do rehab, see many patients who have had surgery and only a small percentage come out pain free, usually the back pain subsides but they have leg pain and other issues also if you have fusion the disk below and above the fused disk takes on twice the load and it's common for them to give out.
    I also have a herniation at L5 SI and flexion detraction works very well with me.

If there should ever come a time(and hopefully there won't)if you need surgery you might want to look into disk replacement if I ever had to have it this would be the only way.

Best of luck.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

I am hoping to stay away from the knife. My family doesnt have a good history with surgeries. My father ended up paralyzed for 6 months after a surgery and my sister ended up with RSD. Of course there is only a small possibility something could happen to me but I would rather avoid it.

I went this route after seeing a couple friends that had back surgery and about a year later they still had major pain and were going to go back for another surgery. I have heard of some that are great too but when it comes to surgery the mind tends to swing towards the negative.

Thanks for the suggestion on the disc replacement if it has to happen. Someone else suggested that too. Take care of the possibility of another herniated by just having it artificial.

I am thinking very positive with this whole Spinal Decompresion thing and know it is going to work. Power of positive thinking should help, right?
    -Lao Tzu

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    [QUOTE=cg73;389774791]I am hoping to stay away from the knife. My family doesnt have a good history with surgeries. My father ended up paralyzed for 6 months after a surgery and my sister ended up with RSD. Of course there is only a small possibility something could happen to me but I would rather avoid it.

I went this route after seeing a couple friends that had back surgery and about a year later they still had major pain and were going to go back for another surgery. I have heard of some that are great too but when it comes to surgery the mind tends to swing towards the negative.

Thanks for the suggestion on the disc replacement if it has to happen. Someone else suggested that too. Take care of the possibility of another herniated by just having it artificial.

I am thinking very positive with this whole Spinal Decompresion thing and know it is going to work. Power of positive thinking should help, right?

You don't know how important that statement is! regarding your currant situation and training the power of the mind is very underestimated and could lead down a negative path if you let it.
    It's nice to see you taking matters in your own hands by doing research and such all to often I see patients rely way to much on the surgeons opinion, that's what they do of course they're going to want to cut you open! how many people do you know have had surgery with complications and have gone back to there surgeon? not many if none, once the cuts are sewed your out the door and they don't want to see you again.

This is not in all cases but to many IMO.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000) Fire8085 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Keep up with your stretching and exercises. I can't stress that enough.

Walk at least 10-15 a day outside your normal routine.

Ever look into buying your own inversion table?

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was about to respond with "Keep us updated" but it looks like you already have.
    I've researched it a few times. The closest place to me that does it is 120miles away and it's definitely not cheap. Glad to hear it's working well for you.
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

Definitely not cheap. $4500 out of pocket, prepaided and no insurance coverage.
    -Lao Tzu

18 sessions down now. I am feeling really good. I feel like I am standing up straighter. Actually a friend say I looked much better tonight, said I held myself higher then before. Its cool when others notice when things are coming together.

I obviously still have my days but those will pass.
    -Lao Tzu

Had my 20th session on Tuesday.

Things seem to be going OK. My foot is still kinda numb. I was expecting that though, the Anesthesiologist said that even if the steroid injections would have worked that it would be for a few months. The thing that is really bothering me is the back of my leg. I get a weird pain in my left butt cheek, almost as if it just needs to be stretched. Not sure what the deal is.

I am scheduled for an appointment on Monday for a chiropractic adjustment and some physical therapy. He said he may end up putting me back on the DRX machine again.

I know I have 5 more sessions with adjustments and physical therapy left. Not sure what sort of schedule I will be on or if I will have to go on the DRX machine again.

All I know is I really want to get back into the gym!
    -Lao Tzu

anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) anmol_khanna has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cg73 View Post
    Had my 20th session on Tuesday.

Things seem to be going OK. My foot is still kinda numb. I was expecting that though, the Anesthesiologist said that even if the steroid injections would have worked that it would be for a few months. The thing that is really bothering me is the back of my leg. I get a weird pain in my left butt cheek, almost as if it just needs to be stretched. Not sure what the deal is.

I am scheduled for an appointment on Monday for a chiropractic adjustment and some physical therapy. He said he may end up putting me back on the DRX machine again.

I know I have 5 more sessions with adjustments and physical therapy left. Not sure what sort of schedule I will be on or if I will have to go on the DRX machine again.

All I know is I really want to get back into the gym!
    Thanks for the update.Always good to hear a positive outcome.

I think the butt pain is a referred pain from back. I have loose SI joint and have had scartia pain. Things that helped me were

1) Chaing my posture so that tail bone points down
    2) Glute stretches
    3) Clams/spine curl - glute exercise
    4) lot of core work ( you can do any standing exercise on pulley e.g bicep curl with weight on 1 leg. Keep pelvis aligned.

Let us know how you progress.

The chiropractor added an additional 6 more sessions. 4 this week and 2 next.
    -Lao Tzu

This is really frustrating but my left hip feels like it got hit by a car especially when I am laying down and turn on my side. Hopefully it is all part of the healing process. I am still pretty positive with this whole thing but am also realistic and realize that surgery could be inevitable.

The chiropractor did say it could take 6+ months for my body to take care of the herniation.
    -Lao Tzu

My chiropractor was very concerned when I went in for my appointment today. I got in early because my leg and hip were in major pain. I am getting referred to a Neuro Surgeon now.
    -Lao Tzu

Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000) Minhsanity is just really nice. (+1000)
    Question, during all this, are you working out at all or are you resting?

If you're working out, what exercise are you doing/avoiding?
    Lakers up in this motherf**ker!

It's Supposed to Hurt! Thuirwyne's Avatar
    Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000) Thuirwyne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cg73 View Post
    My chiropractor was very concerned when I went in for my appointment today. I got in early because my leg and hip were in major pain. I am getting referred to a Neuro Surgeon now.
    What did the surgeon say? Nerves can be SO tricky...typically decompression should ease any problems unless there's some damage. Hopefully not, but that may have been why that calf/foot was misbehaving...
    Food Aggressive

Originally Posted by Minhsanity View Post
    Question, during all this, are you working out at all or are you resting?

If you're working out, what exercise are you doing/avoiding?
    I have not been in the gym in way too long. Almost anything I do weight wise aggravates it so I figured it is much better safe then sorry. I will get back in the gym when things get back to normal.
    -Lao Tzu

Originally Posted by Thuirwyne View Post
    What did the surgeon say? Nerves can be SO tricky...typically decompression should ease any problems unless there's some damage. Hopefully not, but that may have been why that calf/foot was misbehaving...
    Surgeon is having me go for another MRI. It is planned for this Wednesday. He said the way my disc herniated was very unique. Thinks it might have a tear and it herniated more to a point then how they normally herniate. He is thinking that it is still pressing on the nerve. The MRI will show whats up.

I have a tentative surgery date planned for Nov 11. Can always cancel it if the MRI shows nothing.

I definitely think that the decompression has helped a ton but now it just needs that extra work.
    -Lao Tzu