Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000)

I quit drinking, for ever!

I wanted to start this thread for a little motivation to not drink again. I will update my progress as the weeks/months go on with honest feedback from the weekends events.

Reasons:
    -Legal troubles in the past.
    -I'm newly married and if I want to have a healthy relationship with my wife I can not drink.
    -I have a family history of alcohol abuse and it needs to end with me. My father lost his family because he couldn't say NO, I need to learn from his mistake.
    -No more pointless drama, stupid arguments, and conflicts in general.
    -save money
    -wake up early on a Friday & Saturday for change.
    -Mental health

Since June 09 I've been doing pretty good about keeping it to the weekends only. Before that I drank every other day, some weeks, every day. I always had an excuse for it saying I didn't have anything to do the next day or I didn't drink yesterday so today it's ok.

I wanted a change in my life so I decided to quit drinking during the week and start going to the gym again.
    Now, it's not any better. I find my self very irritable on the days that I don't drink and I binge drink on the weekends. I won't say how much I drink but I know I only stop when I'm passed out on the couch.
    This past weekend I got into a pretty good fight with my wife and I almost lost her.

I'm done. The only way for me to be healthy is to quit the cycle that I think I can control. I can not drink in moderation, I've tried. It's lasts for a while and then SMACK! It's back.

I'm too old for this sh!t.

Brb cutting (no emo) 2.0Tsunami's Avatar
    2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000) 2.0Tsunami is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Look into AA meetings in your area. They will help by giving you a support group. My best friend is an alcoholic and is doing MUCH better since he started going. It's been about 3 years now and his career is really taking off and he's had a gf for about 2 of those years. He's an all around more enjoyable person to be around.
    "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." -Basil King

TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks,
    I've thought about it. Right now I feel like I can do it on my own but I also know that is what most alcoholics say. I'm still up in the air on AA to be honest. I guess if it gets to the point that I can't control my self I'll go.

I do plan to talk to a psychologist for support.

TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TakeDamage12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    goodluck man.

tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tp90 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah man the temptation resist the temptation go to the gym for the whole night if you have to

Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Prairie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It gets better... every day you are away from an altered reality and into reality for real. At first it will be a bitch as your mind clears and you start to see your own screw ups you have not dealt with as they have been numbed by the reality killer. After time you will begin to handle reality much better, make better decisions and your life will improve dramatically... Trust me on this. But it takes time and it takes prayer and it takes courage. Show us what you've got. More important show yourself and your wife what you've got. Face life. Dump the drug. That's what it is. You've got my prayers and my support.

Thanks everyone. I was feeling a little miserable yesterday as you could probably tell. All is good now. I feel pretty good about my decision to quit and the money I'll save haha. Most of my drinking was done at home so it's not like I'll miss the bar or anything. It'll be tough with football coming up but I'll survive. I know of a couple of friends that will be disappointed. O'well

Reps sent!

powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) powerman2000 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Drinking alcohol also raises estrogen levels in men.
    Racism is completely irrational.

Raising taxes never created a single job.

rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rob112 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    good luck to you man. i just stopped drinking altogether about a month ago. i don't know when to stop when i start either. the weekends are rough man but when you wake up on sunday and don't feel like piece of **** it will be worth it.
    Trust the Process

“The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.”

Originally Posted by rob112 View Post
    good luck to you man. i just stopped drinking altogether about a month ago. i don't know when to stop when i start either. the weekends are rough man but when you wake up on sunday and don't feel like piece of **** it will be worth it.
    Thanks and good luck. I wish I could offer advice but it hasn't even been a week yet for me. The Sundays will be worth it for sure!

Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Vtec-Radi0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    its either your friends or your fam.
    people will accept you.
    good luck man
    No REgrets...

in it for teh lulz operation5pm's Avatar
    operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) operation5pm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Glad to hear you're getting better, slowly but surely. Good luck with this.

Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TNetz View Post
    Thanks,
    I've thought about it. Right now I feel like I can do it on my own but I also know that is what most alcoholics say. I'm still up in the air on AA to be honest. I guess if it gets to the point that I can't control my self I'll go.

I do plan to talk to a psychologist for support.
    Why pay to go see a psychologist when you can get essentially the same thing at AA meetings for free? Take it from me, I've been to both. Trust me, if you *truly* want to quit drinking, you'll go to AA. And I wouldn't worry so much about quitting drinking forever, so much as quitting drinking for today. Take it from someone who's been clean and sober for a little while now.

Originally Posted by Squizzy View Post
    Why pay to go see a psychologist when you can get essentially the same thing at AA meetings for free? Take it from me, I've been to both. Trust me, if you *truly* want to quit drinking, you'll go to AA. And I wouldn't worry so much about quitting drinking forever, so much as quitting drinking for today. Take it from someone who's been clean and sober for a little while now.
    I see your point, I'm in no way against AA. I've been to a few meetings in the past and for the most part enjoyed them. I know they help millions of people everyday and I've talked to many of them.

I just don't want to live my life around alcohol and alcoholics. That may sound harsh but the way I see it, I want to remove alcohol from my life completely. To the point that I'm not thinking about it every second.

I agree that if I start getting cravings or feel like I'm going to slip than I'll by all means take my butt to a meeting. I just have to wait and see. The psycologist I get for free through the VA.

I could be completely wrong in this and might find myself in AA every Saturday. I don't know yet.

AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been in the same boat as you. Went through rehab when I was 21/22. Going to AA meetings. Abusing all sorts of other drugs. I had a bad skin reaction which sort of 'made' me stop drinking temporarily. At this time I began working out. Started seeing results, but continued to binge drink about once a week after 3-4 months of sobriety. I noticed that my urge to use was dependent (mostly) upon my stress level/satisfaction with life. When my stresses in life began to subside I started working out more and drinking less. The more results I saw in the mirror the less I wanted to drink. Lifting and drinking don't mix for multiple biological reasons. I don't think its the drinking I love so much (eventhough it feels that way), its more-so the negative feelings I have about myself which I don't have to feel when I get fu ked up.

Good luck man.

*I have family in carnegie
    If you want drastic results you need to take drastic measures.

Originally Posted by AnthonyBishop View Post
    I've been in the same boat as you. Went through rehab when I was 21/22. Going to AA meetings. Abusing all sorts of other drugs. I had a bad skin reaction which sort of 'made' me stop drinking temporarily. At this time I began working out. Started seeing results, but continued to binge drink about once a week after 3-4 months of sobriety. I noticed that my urge to use was dependent (mostly) upon my stress level/satisfaction with life. When my stresses in life began to subside I started working out more and drinking less. The more results I saw in the mirror the less I wanted to drink. Lifting and drinking don't mix for multiple biological reasons. I don't think its the drinking I love so much (eventhough it feels that way), its more-so the negative feelings I have about myself which I don't have to feel when I get fu ked up.

Good luck man.

*I have family in carnegie
    Awesome. Thanks man, that makes sense to me. Honestly I don't know what it is for me. I know I have had issues growing up with alcohol but that should have made me completley against it. Instead I find myself traveling down the same path as my idiot father. I was always against him growing up and even agreed with my mom when she wanted to leave for good. I think the only thing I did was agree to not drink the same brand of beer as him, lame.

For me I think it's always been having friends that drink and constantly being around it, like many other people. I don't know what it is about me that can't be responsible and drink moderately but it doesn't work for me. Maybe because of my up bringing, although, I don't know if I buy the whole predisposition thing.

It makes sense what you said about lifting and not drinking. Honestly the transition from everyday to weekends was surprisingly easy this time around because I was going to the gym. Maybe I'll start a 7 day routine haha, j/k.

Reps on recharge.

*I go to carnegie all the time!

Edit: You could be on to something about life stress. Not to make myself sound more fu-cked up than I already am, I have an anxiety disorder that I found out about when I was ~26. I take low dose meds for it. I don't tend to drink when I'm feeling down but I'm sure anxiety doesn't help my situation and probably causes me to self medicate with alcohol. Alcohol also negates the benefits of my meds. I have a whole list of reasons to quit.
    Last edited by TNetz; 08-18-2009 at 02:17 PM.

AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50) AnthonyBishop will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome. Thanks man, that makes sense to me. Honestly I don't know what it is for me. I know I have had issues growing up with alcohol but that should have made me completley against it. Instead I find myself traveling down the same path as my idiot father. I was always against him growing up and even agreed with my mom when she wanted to leave for good. I think the only thing I did was agree to not drink the same brand of beer as him, lame.

For me I think it's always been having friends that drink and constantly being around it, like many other people. I don't know what it is about me that can't be responsible and drink moderately but it doesn't work for me. Maybe because of my up bringing, although, I don't know if I buy the whole predisposition thing.

It makes sense what you said about lifting and not drinking. Honestly the transition from everyday to weekends was surprisingly easy this time around because I was going to the gym. Maybe I'll start a 7 day routine haha, j/k.

Reps on recharge.

*I go to carnegie all the time!

Edit: You could be on to something about life stress. Not to make myself sound more fu-cked up than I already am, I have an anxiety disorder that I found out about when I was ~26. I take low dose meds for it. I don't tend to drink when I'm feeling down but I'm sure anxiety doesn't help my situation and probably causes me to self medicate with alcohol. Alcohol also negates the benefits of my meds. I have a whole list of reasons to quit.
    I have an anxiety disorder as well; OCD. Have been on and off meds in the past. Currently not taking any and doing 'okay.' Most of my drinking revolved around allowing relationship stress and anxiety to take control. The thing that sucks about addiction is very little is available in terms of treatment. AA can teach you some good principles to take with you, however, I don't feel it was necessarily for me. The more I seem to focus on "Anthony, you have a problem" the more difficult it seemed to cope with. The more I began focusing on living my life, and trying to live by the moment, the more I was able to have 'some' peace. I also try not to beat myself up when I fuk up. The quicker I can let that shi t go the faster I can be on the road to progress.

What meds are u taking? How long have you been on them? Are they working?

30 mg Citalopram. It's listed some places as an anti-depresant and some for anti-anxiety. I'm not sure I ever had issues with depression but anxiety for sure.

I would have trouble breathing, like I couldn't catch my breath. I would get red in the face and sweat for no apparent reason. Every little thing irritated the hell out of me and I almost killed my GF (not srs). I could not listen to the radio and I had to get rid of my bird. The bird thing I think I'd still have trouble with. Honestly I was just miserable all of the time and was always in some sort of conflict with somebody, at work or at home.

I started out on 10mg and noticed a difference after a few weeks. Then I went to 20mg because I still felt irritable. Finally to 30mg for the same reasons. I would say it helped me a whole hell of a lot. Less irritability, less compulsive behavior and little things don't bother me like they use to. I know I would not have married her if it wasn't for the meds lol.

It will be intersting to see if quitting drinking will allow my to lower the dose at all.

I completley agree with you about AA and focusing on the problem ALL of the time. Thanks for the insight.

30 mg Citalopram. It's listed some places as an anti-depresant and some for anti-anxiety. I'm not sure I ever had issues with depression but anxiety for sure.

I would have trouble breathing, like I couldn't catch my breath. I would get red in the face and sweat for no apparent reason. Every little thing irritated the hell out of me and I almost killed my GF (not srs). I could not listen to the radio and I had to get rid of my bird. The bird thing I think I'd still have trouble with. Honestly I was just miserable all of the time and was always in some sort of conflict with somebody, at work or at home.

I started out on 10mg and noticed a difference after a few weeks. Then I went to 20mg because I still felt irritable. Finally to 30mg for the same reasons. I would say it helped me a whole hell of a lot. Less irritability, less compulsive behavior and little things don't bother me like they use to. I know I would not have married her if it wasn't for the meds lol.

It will be intersting to see if quitting drinking will allow my to lower the dose at all.

I completley agree with you about AA and focusing on the problem ALL of the time. Thanks for the insight.
    You should look into CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It has helped me quite a bit with my anxiety disorder. The combination of that + meds = highest success rate. Plus it can help you with not drinking as well.

LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500) LaChupacabras is not very helpful. (-500)

I'm done. The only way for me to be healthy is to quit the cycle that I think I can control. I can not drink in moderation, I've tried. It's lasts for a while and then SMACK! It's back.

I'm too old for this sh!t.

Good Job man. I just quit completely a few weeks ago (month or two now? not sure).

I've tried the moderation thing as well.... but the booze always seems to take over for me. Nearing 30 years old blacking out/passing out from drinking too much just isn't cool or fun or funny. It needed to be zero or don't bother for me.

Feels good to wake up early on a Saturday or Sunday not hungover/still drunk just wanting a ****in beer all day so the shakiness/nausea goes away. I think I've accomplished more in the last month then I had the previous 6 months.

No AA no support groups...none of that **** for the weak. If you truly want to change something it's as easy as doing it.

Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000) Squizzy is just really nice. (+1000)
    And this is why I suggest you go to meetings. You need support. You need to make new friends who know what you're going through. Look, if you can quit drinking on your own, by all means. However, if you think you can just eradicate alcohol from your life entirely, you're sadly mistaken! So you say you have friends who drink constantly, and that is a problem for you? Fine. Make new friends. Who don't drink. I'm telling you right now: Isolating will only drive you back to drinking. The only way to break old habits is to create new ones. I'm not trying to lecture or moralize, but I've been around quite a few alcoholics in my day. And drug addicts. From personal experience, it is too much for us! You are past the point of no return my friend! If you can handle this all on your own, be my guest! By all means! However, from personal experience, I can tell you this: Most alcoholics and drug-addicts need help. If you knew how to get sober, and stay sober don't you think you would have done it already? I know the idea of going to meetings doesn't seem very promising at first, but in all honesty: Do you think you can beat this thing by yourself, and with some help from a psychologist?

Maybe you can, but from what I've seen, in 99% of the cases like the one you've described, the person ends up using drugs, or drinking again. But who knows? Maybe you'll be that 1/100. I hope I don't come off as too harsh here, I really do wish you the best of luck. I'm just trying to speak to you rationally, and realistically because I've been there. Thanks.
    Last edited by Squizzy; 08-18-2009 at 06:42 PM.

HAHA. I don't know what AA meetings you go to, but I've never had someone tell me at an AA meeting that you have to focus on your problem "ALL of the time". LOL. AA gives you your life back. It shouldn't take it away from you.

Originally Posted by AnthonyBishop View Post
    You should look into CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy). It has helped me quite a bit with my anxiety disorder. The combination of that + meds = highest success rate. Plus it can help you with not drinking as well.
    Will do, thanks man.

Maybe you can, but from what I've seen, in 99% of the cases like the one you've described, the person ends up using drugs, or drinking again. But who knows? Maybe you'll be that 1/100. I hope I don't come off as too harsh here, I really do wish you the best of luck. I'm just trying to speak to you rationally, and realistically because I've been there. Thanks.

I don't feel like I'm going through anything right now. I simply turned off a switch in my head that said I do not drink anymore. Alcohol will no longer be a part of my diet. I know plenty of people and friends that do not drink at all, after having drank in the past. My step father is one of them. He doesn't touch the stuff.

I'm not waking up with the shakes and I don't miss alcohol right now. As I said before, I am not against AA, I never said I would not attend, and I did say that if I ever felt weak enough that I couldn't control my self than I would "Take my butt to a meeting".

Thanks, reps sent.
    Last edited by TNetz; 08-19-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Originally Posted by LaChupacabras View Post
    Good Job man. I just quit completely a few weeks ago (month or two now? not sure).

I've tried the moderation thing as well.... but the booze always seems to take over for me. Nearing 30 years old blacking out/passing out from drinking too much just isn't cool or fun or funny. It needed to be zero or don't bother for me.

Feels good to wake up early on a Saturday or Sunday not hungover/still drunk just wanting a ****in beer all day so the shakiness/nausea goes away. I think I've accomplished more in the last month then I had the previous 6 months.

No AA no support groups...none of that **** for the weak. If you truly want to change something it's as easy as doing it.
    Thanks man, good luck to you too. I can't wait to say it's been a month. I haven't gone a month volentarily, ever!

Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mr_Kinney will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been there before.

Good luck to you guys. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    NASM CPT
    ISSA CFT

I do it because I can
    I can because I want to
    I want to because you say I can't

I don't feel like I'm going through anything right now. I simply turned off a switch in my head that said I do not drink anymore. Alcohol will no longer be a part of my diet. I know plenty of people and friends that do not drink at all, after having drank in the past. My step father is one of them. He doesn't touch the stuff.

I'm not waking up with the shakes and I don't miss alcohol right now. As I said before, I am not against AA, I never said I would not attend, and I did say that if I ever felt weak enough that I couldn't control my self than I would "Take my butt to a meeting".

Thanks, reps sent.
    Cool. Well, best of luck to ya'! I think you're making a very good decision regardless of you how you go about achieving it!

Cool. Well, best of luck to ya'! I think you're making a very good decision regardless of you how you go about achieving it!
    Thanks man, I have to wait for the reps to recharge. Listen, what you wrote does make me think a lot about AA. It may sound like I'm blowing it off because I think I'm better than AA, but I'm not. I also know a lot of alcoholics really do need AA to stay sober. There really might be something to that for me too. I just want to wait and see before committing myself to a program. I feel pretty confident right now but I know that can change in a month/4 months. I don't feel like I'm bigger than AA. If it comes down to it, I'll be there. I just want to try it on my own for a while. I know what the stats are and I'm farmiliar with the meetings enough to know how much they help.

Thanks man, I have to wait for the reps to recharge. Listen, what you wrote does make me think a lot about AA. It may sound like I'm blowing it off because I think I'm better than AA, but I'm not. I also know a lot of alcoholics really do need AA to stay sober. There really might be something to that for me too. I just want to wait and see before committing myself to a program. I feel pretty confident right now but I know that can change in a month/4 months. I don't feel like I'm bigger than AA. If it comes down to it, I'll be there. I just want to try it on my own for a while. I know what the stats are and I'm farmiliar with the meetings enough to know how much they help.
    HAHA! This is great news! You're opening your mind! That's a *big* step in the right direction. My attitude was horrible prior to getting sober. My mind was so closed I used to think something like this: "I don't want help, I don't need help, and I'll die before I ever get sober." Well after coming close to dying a couple of times, I realized I had better look for help. At least you're giving it a fair shake. And who knows? Maybe AA isn't for you. Like I said earlier: Maybe you *can* beat this thing on your own. I'm just speaking from personal experience when I say: Not many people I know can do so. I know I sure couldn't, and believe me, I tried. Anyhow, I'm actually about to go to an AA meeting right now. Hopefully I've been of help. It's part of how AA works. We have something called the "responsibility pledge" and it goes a little something like this:

"I am Responsible.
    When Anyone, Anywhere
    Reaches Out For Help,
    I Want The Hand Of A.A.
    To Always Be There.

And For That,
    I Am Responsible !"

You gotta' give it away to keep it! Good luck with your goal, however you decide to achieve it!

Well Wednesday was my first little challenge (my day off from the gym). The wife and I went to a mexican resturaunt/bar for dinner. I wasn't aware of the bar part until we got there. I will admit to thinking about a "cold one" with all that spicy food but I easily resisted the temptation. It felt good. It was something special to me to walk out of the place with out having drank a beer. It may sound weird but I felt like a "normal person". I think I can find some pride in that as time goes on.

Well it's Friday and this, tonight and tomorrow, will be my first real test since I haven't gone a weekend without drinking since, I don't remember when. I know I'll be pretty busy. I have a jeep hobby and I'll be fixing a few things tonight to prepare for tomorrow's events. I feel pretty confident.

A little introspect: I just want to clearify my intentions of creating this thread. I'm not typing any of this for any recognition or any attempt to draw any attention to my self. I'm here to record my thoughts on the subject and monitor my progress. Call it a journal if you will. I also hope to possibly help some others out there that might be reading. Feel free to post if you have gone through something like this or if you are now.

Also, a big thanks to those who posted above. It's not always easy to share personal information. *Any* input is welcome.

Thanks!

Edit: Mods feel free to move this if this section isn't appropriate. My goals are to have a healthier lifestyle and see the results in the gym.
    Last edited by TNetz; 08-21-2009 at 12:07 PM.