Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFDT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TNetz View Post
    Thanks man. More power to you. I went to an AA meeting a few years ago and one of the members told me the same thing. I guess because at the time I was pretty young, I was also there involuntarily. He told me to keep coming to the meetings, that maybe they would help me drink in moderation. It was a good idea but I couldn't sit there with a bunch of alcoholics knowing that I drank the night before.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing. If you can maintain that way than more power to you.

I can not. I already know this about my self and honestly it's no big deal to me. I don't feel like I'm killing myself right now. So far it's been pretty damn easy. I guess once the switch it off, it's off.

Honestly, I don't care to drink at all. I've been there done that so many times that it's just getting old. I don't care for the bar, I actually hate the damn bar because I don't like being around a lot of people. I've become a major home body over the years and it suits me great.

Yes football will be hard, but after a few times of not drinking I'll get use to it. It's amazing how the body and mind adapt over time.
    Considering that you were pretty young and went there involuntarely; I strongly suggest you give it another shot. Quitting can be very hard at times and everyone can have motivation to quit, especially when they don't have it in there face. It gets harder when you are confronted by the problem, in a situation where you must deal with being around alcohol and not be tempted by it. Despite all the motivation or the will to stop you may have, it's these situations that can really screw all up. That being said, the AA meetings help you by sharing your experiences with other people and by understanding a bit more how to gain control over your temptations. You seem to be already on the right way, you know you have a problem, you are willing to quit and seem to be doing a lot to quit. That being said, you might not need to go to a hell lot of meetings, nonetheless, it can be really helpful when times get harder. Also, for some, the first few weeks can be easy. It when it becomes more long term that those people break and binge. Some alcoholics can go for months without driking; but the second they'll touch a drink, watchout... Ultimately, it's all about knowing yourself. Knowing wether or not you can set limits and respect them, wether or not you can have an occasional drink. It sounds silly but it can take a while before you really know ourself and your limits, and thats why the AA meetings are important. By sharing your story and hearing others, you'll get to know you (if you don't aready).

Hope that helps a bit :P
    Good luck on your road to sobriety!

TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000)
    I guess that last post of mine did sound a little arrogant. Thanks for the reply. I can see your points and it makes sense to me that it will only get harder. The last time I quit drinking, involentarily/ok with it, was a few years ago for 4 months. I remember toward the end, drinking was all I thought about. I remember being tempted to stop in any bar and have a drink. I was by myself and it was the middle of the day.

I can't say yet whether or not that'll happen this time around. I know there has to be something to making the decision to quit, and being told to quit.

As of now, I haven't had a drink since the 15th. That's not a long time to be coming off as an expert, I know. I just feel pretty confident at the moment. I know AA could very well be in my future. I just feel more comfortable on my own right now.

Thanks for the tips, Reps sent!
    Last edited by TNetz; 08-27-2009 at 10:04 AM.

LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000) LoKx is just really nice. (+1000)
    i went through the same cycle and binge drinking, so i quit as well and everything is better now keep going strong
    inb4 18 blah blah blah

TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000) TNetz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LoKx View Post
    i went through the same cycle and binge drinking, so i quit as well and everything is better now keep going strong
    inb4 18 blah blah blah
    Thanks. 18 or not, you still have knowledge of the subject. That's more than I could say at your age.

I went to a baseball game tonight. Pirates vs. Phillies. The Pirates actually won lol. I went with my buddy who is a pretty big beer fan. He's the type that always has a different beer to try and he even brews his own.

I told him on the way there that I quit. I thought I'd catch some crap from him but he was more than supportive. He told me about how he's been cutting back and drinks a hell of a lot less than he did before. He's always been functional though. He said good beer is too expensive to chug. I thought that was pretty funny. I told him that I have been drinking NA beer and he said he does too, sometimes. We decided to see if the stadium sold any.

Anyway, we got there and I could smell the beer right away. It didn't bother me too much but I did take notice to it. I got a large Pepsi and we took our seats. A little while later we went to see if they actually sold NA there. They did. I couldn't believe it lol. I had two throughout the game. Stuff doesn't taste half bad. Ok it sucks, but it wasn't much different than a Coors lite and about $3 cheaper than regular beer. There are definitely much better NA beers out there though.

All in all, it was a good time. My wife made a big deal about the fact that I was the one driving us home. That never would have happend before. I've been against drinking and driving for a long time now. It really felt great. No sh!t.

I also took notice to all of the people I saw drinking around me and in the parking lot. Man did they look young. Most were probably just 21, if not younger. I'm in no way saying drinking is a young mans sport, but I did feel my age for once, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
    http://www.nutritiondata.com/

"You have to stomp on the snakes head"

The stupidity of people comes from having an answer for everything. The wisdom comes from having a question for everything.

When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object.

Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000) Apothecurious is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks. 18 or not, you still have knowledge of the subject. That's more than I could say at your age.

I went to a baseball game tonight. Pirates vs. Phillies. The Pirates actually won lol. I went with my buddy who is a pretty big beer fan. He's the type that always has a different beer to try and he even brews his own.

I told him on the way there that I quit. I thought I'd catch some crap from him but he was more than supportive. He told me about how he's been cutting back and drinks a hell of a lot less than he did before. He's always been functional though. He said good beer is too expensive to chug. I thought that was pretty funny. I told him that I have been drinking NA beer and he said he does too, sometimes. We decided to see if the stadium sold any.

Anyway, we got there and I could smell the beer right away. It didn't bother me too much but I did take notice to it. I got a large Pepsi and we took our seats. A little while later we went to see if they actually sold NA there. They did. I couldn't believe it lol. I had two throughout the game. Stuff doesn't taste half bad. Ok it sucks, but it wasn't much different than a Coors lite and about $3 cheaper than regular beer. There are definitely much better NA beers out there though.

All in all, it was a good time. My wife made a big deal about the fact that I was the one driving us home. That never would have happend before. I've been against drinking and driving for a long time now. It really felt great. No sh!t.

I also took notice to all of the people I saw drinking around me and in the parking lot. Man did they look young. Most were probably just 21, if not younger. I'm in no way saying drinking is a young mans sport, but I did feel my age for once, so to speak.

Anyway, thanks for reading.
    NA beer is nasty... yuck. But good job on keeping up with it! The more you don't drink the easier it becomes.
    Alterum Alterius Auxilio Eget
    "Each Needs the Help of the Other"

This weekend was probably the hardest yet. I spent Friday night cleaning out the extra bedroom. This is where I keep all of my Jeep crap; tools, boxes, and what ever else we don't feel like putting away.

I'm use to taking on this project with a few beers, some music, and just enjoying it. Not this time, but I will say I got a hell of a lot done, faster.

Saturday I went to the Steelers game. The big test. We met up with a few of the wife's friends in the parking lot to tailgate for an hr or two before the game. I brought some NA with me. One of the couples we knew there are huge drinkers. They always have beer in their fridge and both have gained a substantial amount of weight because of it. I found myself not really wanting to socialize as much as I would if I were drinking. I'm not sure if it was because of the company or not drinking. PASSED

We went inside and took our seats. My wife made me sign up for the designated driver program because you can win one of a few prizes. I didn't win. After a little while I went to see if they sold NA. None! I was stuck with the free Pepsi they gave me for the DD program. All in all, I was ok with that. I didn't get the urge to drink after that and Pittsburgh won. PASSED

After the game I had plans to have a couple of people over for the UFC fight on PPV. Both of my friends that came drink pretty heavily. I had my NA and they had their beer and we watched the fights. Everything went great untill they started annoying the sh!t out of me. One guy is a neighbor and I think I found a few reasons not to like him anymore haha. Either that or I was just irritated from being the sober one. Either way, I didn't have the urge to party until 4am anymore and really just wanted them to go home. It was fun but it was pretty tough too. I had beer in the fridge, beer being drunk right in front of me, and even handed a few around when somebody needed one. I stuck to my guns though. I even got made fun of a few times for drinking the NA. It bothered me some but I know it was all in good fun. PASSED.

Thanks for reading. This sort of sucks but I know I have to do it for the reasons I listed. I'm ok with everything up to this point, but I might not be able to have a bunch of drunks over for UFC anymore haha.
    Last edited by TNetz; 08-31-2009 at 10:42 AM.

ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This weekend was probably the hardest yet. I spent Friday night cleaning out the extra bedroom. This is where I keep all of my Jeep crap; tools, boxes, and what ever else we don't feel like putting away.

I'm use to taking on this project with a few beers, some music, and just enjoying it. Not this time, but I will say I got a hell of a lot done, faster.

Saturday I went to the Steelers game. The big test. We met up with a few of the wife's friends in the parking lot to tailgate for an hr or two before the game. I brought some NA with me. One of the couples we knew there are huge drinkers. They always have beer in their fridge and both have gained a substantial amount of weight because of it. I found myself not really wanting to socialize as much as I would if I were drinking. I'm not sure if it was because of the company or not drinking. PASSED

We went inside and took our seats. My wife made me sign up for the designated driver program because you can win one of a few prizes. I didn't win. After a little while I went to see if they sold NA. None! I was stuck with the free Pepsi they gave me for the DD program. All in all, I was ok with that. I didn't get the urge to drink after that and Pittsburgh won. PASSED

After the game I had plans to have a couple of people over for the UFC fight on PPV. Both of my friends that came drink pretty heavily. I had my NA and they had their beer and we watched the fights. Everything went great untill they started annoying the sh!t out of me. One guy is a neighbor and I think I found a few reasons not to like him anymore haha. Either that or I was just irritated from being the sober one. Either way, I didn't have the urge to party until 4am anymore and really just wanted them to go home. It was fun but it was pretty tough too. I had beer in the fridge, beer being drunk right in front of me, and even handed a few around when somebody needed one. I stuck to my guns though. I even got made fun of a few times for drinking the NA. It bothered me some but I know it was all in good fun. PASSED.

Thanks for reading. This sort of sucks but I know I have to do it for the reasons I listed. I'm ok with everything up to this point, but I might not be able to have a bunch of drunks over for UFC anymore haha.
    Bro, just go to AA meetings. You think that was a challenge? That's nothing.

Like others have mentioned, the first couple weeks or couple of months are usually easy for alcoholics to stop drinking. Just like it's easy for the couch potato to temporarily get motivated and hit the gym for a couple of weeks as a NY resolution or whatever.

It's after that motivation cools off and it's been a few months where your mind may start playing tricks on you...what's the big deal if I only have just ONE beer? I've gone this long, why not reward myself? It's not like I'm going to get drunk, I'll just drink in moderation. And BOOM, you're back to your old ways and your drinking again or if your the couch potato your skipping the gym just this once and ordering chinese instead

I've seen it too many times; everyone is as serious as cancer with the best of intentions of truly quitting...but your willpower alone can only save you so many times. You will need the outside help sooner than later.

Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Metalbender00 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just wanted to add my approach to my friends. I'm not telling anyone this time around that I quit. In the past I would get on the phone and call everyone I knew just to get it off of my chest. It never worked because I would depend on the their input and not my own decisions.

---Other than this thread lol.
    For me, i tell, my friends... as i have this time, and get the "ooh we'll be here for you no matter what blah blah.. but that's about the extent of it. not going to hijack your thread man, but best of luck to both of us.. Day 2 for me, never tried cold turkey before.. and i was a daily heavy drinker.. withdrawals are horrid now.

Originally Posted by Apothecurious View Post
    Lol.. I can't. Since I stopped drinking I can't go into a bar and NOT have a drink. I don't have that kind of self control. I can't have just one either.. which is where my problem lies.
    same boat brother!
    "If you are lonely when you're alone, you are in bad company."
    --Jean-Paul Sartre

=Atheist Alliance=

brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) brent89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ya man drinking ****ed me up too so now i went from drinking everyday to drinking maybe once every few months and not even that much when i do

Originally Posted by ChrisOBC View Post
    Bro, just go to AA meetings. You think that was a challenge? That's nothing.
    Thanks for the encouragement...

I think being a recovering alcoholic surrounded by a bunch of drunks in my own house, with beer in my fridge, a hell of a lot more than nothing. Maybe you would have given in?

I really don't want to come off as an ass but I'm tired of hearing about AA. I'M NOT GOING UNTIL I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO, period.

If this doesn't sit well with everyone who feels that AA is the only way, well, too damn bad. I'm not here to make people happy that I'm quitting, nor am I here for reps or recognition. I started this thread because I saw one like it a while back and thought it was interesting. I liked reading their stories and learning from their troubles. But most of all, I found it motivating.

My point in the last post was to show that I did not give in and maybe somebody else out there could relate.

Originally Posted by Metalbender00 View Post
    For me, i tell, my friends... as i have this time, and get the "ooh we'll be here for you no matter what blah blah.. but that's about the extent of it. not going to hijack your thread man, but best of luck to both of us.. Day 2 for me, never tried cold turkey before.. and i was a daily heavy drinker.. withdrawals are horrid now.
    No hijack man, the more the merrier. Good luck!

Originally Posted by brent89 View Post
    ya man drinking ****ed me up too so now i went from drinking everyday to drinking maybe once every few months and not even that much when i do
    Awesome. Keep it up man.

Like others have mentioned, the first couple weeks or couple of months are usually easy for alcoholics to stop drinking. Just like it's easy for the couch potato to temporarily get motivated and hit the gym for a couple of weeks as a NY resolution or whatever.

It's after that motivation cools off and it's been a few months where your mind may start playing tricks on you...what's the big deal if I only have just ONE beer? I've gone this long, why not reward myself? It's not like I'm going to get drunk, I'll just drink in moderation. And BOOM, you're back to your old ways and your drinking again or if your the couch potato your skipping the gym just this once and ordering chinese instead

I've seen it too many times; everyone is as serious as cancer with the best of intentions of truly quitting...but your willpower alone can only save you so many times. You will need the outside help sooner than later.
    A lot of good insight in this post. You're may be right.

That said, I'm not new to quitting; I've quit a bunch of times What you've described is the nature of adiction. It sneaks up on us when time makes us weak. AA could help in this situation because it's a constant reminder of why I am where I am and why I quit. I agree the will power can fold and temptation takes over. For this, AA is great.

I'm just not there yet. I'm still learing to use my sober legs and I have not had a ligitimate craving, yet.

I also have a hell of a lot more reason to quit this time. Reasons not writen anywhere in this thread. Personal sh!t with my father, ect. I'm not going to fold! Believe what you will, it ain't gona be me, AA or no AA.

Reps sent.

ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChrisOBC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A lot of good insight in this post. You're may be right.

That said, I'm not new to quitting; I've quit a bunch of times What you've described is the nature of adiction. It sneaks up on us when time makes us weak. AA could help in this situation because it's a constant reminder of why I am where I am and why I quit. I agree the will power can fold and temptation takes over. For this, AA is great.

I'm just not there yet. I'm still learing to use my sober legs and I have not had a ligitimate craving, yet.

I also have a hell of a lot more reason to quit this time. Reasons not writen anywhere in this thread. Personal sh!t with my father, ect. I'm not going to fold! Believe what you will, it ain't gona be me, AA or no AA.

Reps sent.
    lol, didn't you just rip me a new one in the post before this one?

I definitely didn't mean to sound preachy or like a know it all, so if I did, my apologies.

I think a lot of people get defensive with the suggestion of going to AA because they still view alcoholism as a game of willpower and overcoming weakness. If you go to AA it's like admitting defeat and lacking self discipline. Another issue is that many people think of AA members as defeated and broken down bums who have already ruined their lives and are in AA as a matter as absolute last resort. While of course you will see a fair share of people in this category at meetings...what's more important is that you will meet people who have been sober for years and have literally been through and overcame every situation in the book. This is where the group proves to be invaluable. No matter who you are and how unique you think your situation is, you will find someone who can relate.

Anyways, that's enough from me. You mentioned you've been to some meetings, although it sounded like you might've been there while younger and via a court order or something. But still I'm sure you got the gist of what they are about. Anyways, good luck and be sure to keep us updated on your progress!

lol, didn't you just rip me a new one in the post before this one?

I definitely didn't mean to sound preachy or like a know it all, so if I did, my apologies.

I think a lot of people get defensive with the suggestion of going to AA because they still view alcoholism as a game of willpower and overcoming weakness. If you go to AA it's like admitting defeat and lacking self discipline. Another issue is that many people think of AA members as defeated and broken down bums who have already ruined their lives and are in AA as a matter as absolute last resort. While of course you will see a fair share of people in this category at meetings...what's more important is that you will meet people who have been sober for years and have literally been through and overcame every situation in the book. This is where the group proves to be invaluable. No matter who you are and how unique you think your situation is, you will find someone who can relate.

Anyways, that's enough from me. You mentioned you've been to some meetings, although it sounded like you might've been there while younger and via a court order or something. But still I'm sure you got the gist of what they are about. Anyways, good luck and be sure to keep us updated on your progress!

This is exactly what's running through my head. I feel like every time I think about AA I'm giving up. Every time somebody mentions it I give it some thought and then I feel less motivated.

The part about meeting people that have been through "every situation in the book" has me thinking twice. I'll look up what AA meetings are in my area and I'll go. I said I'd be honest in this thread so that's what I'm doing. It's not even easy for me to type this because I feel like I'm "giving in" in some way but something about what you said makes me think. I'll give it a shot.

I need to find a good one though. I'm not sitting in a meeting around here with a bunch of bums. I hate committing to ****!

Yes I know that was you in the last post. I felt bad lol

Thanks man.

This is exactly what's running through my head. I feel like every time I think about AA I'm giving up. Every time somebody mentions it I give it some thought and then I feel less motivated.

The part about meeting people that have been through "every situation in the book" has me thinking twice. I'll look up what AA meetings are in my area and I'll go. I said I'd be honest in this thread so that's what I'm doing. It's not even easy for me to type this because I feel like I'm "giving in" in some way but something about what you said makes me think. I'll give it a shot.

I need to find a good one though. I'm not sitting in a meeting around here with a bunch of bums. I hate committing to ****!

Yes I know that was you in the last post. I felt bad lol

Thanks man.
    Hey if it makes you feel better just think of it as going to get more information on what the meetings are about. I'll tell ya something...I felt miserable going to my first meeting, but I left it with an incredible sense of relief and encouragement. Alcoholic or not, some of the stories you hear and the atmosphere of love and acceptance at these meetings is downright uplifting. So even if you don't think you need them, cuz maybe you don't, they are still a great experience in my opinion.

blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I put off going to aa because I thought it would be a cult full off p1ssed up tramps and dropouts,thing is that could not be further from the truth. I have seen anyone from doctors, to teachers and a lot of housewives. Not to mention the smoking hot chicks

While I do find some aspects of meetings a bit cheesy like the tokens and the holding hands in a circle whilst reading the prayer. I found other aspects invaluable.

Anyway good luck op whatever you decide, I have known people who have quit drinking without aa, and even returned to moderate drinking.
    owe

Hey if it makes you feel better just think of it as going to get more information on what the meetings are about. I'll tell ya something...I felt miserable going to my first meeting, but I left it with an incredible sense of relief and encouragement. Alcoholic or not, some of the stories you hear and the atmosphere of love and acceptance at these meetings is downright uplifting. So even if you don't think you need them, cuz maybe you don't, they are still a great experience in my opinion.
    I remember the stories. I loved listening to the old timers come up and talk about their life experiences.
    I let my wife read this thread just to hear her thoughts. To my surprise she agreed that I should be in AA because it's a full proof way of staying sober, she said. She never told me to go before because she knew I would get defensive I guess.

Originally Posted by blockmonkey View Post
    I put off going to aa because I thought it would be a cult full off p1ssed up tramps and dropouts,thing is that could not be further from the truth. I have seen anyone from doctors, to teachers and a lot of housewives. Not to mention the smoking hot chicks

While I do find some aspects of meetings a bit cheesy like the tokens and the holding hands in a circle whilst reading the prayer. I found other aspects invaluable.

Anyway good luck op whatever you decide, I have known people who have quit drinking without aa, and even returned to moderate drinking.
    Thanks. It's not so much that I'm judgmental of anyone, It's just that I'm trying to change my life to a healthy one. When I think about AA I feel like I'm introducing an unhealthy aspect into my life but I know that couldn't be further from the truth. I guess it'll just be a tool for me to use.

No comment on the hot chicks

I wanted to say that in the short time that I've quit drinking I've noticed some changes. It's been two weeks and I feel great. I'm in a much better mood, my wife and I are getting along better than ever, and I notice that I'm actually taking an interest in things again. I use to play guitar but I haven't touched it in about two years. Yesterday I picked it up for the first time. Man did I get bad lol. I also notice it's much easier to wake up in the morning and the weekend seems to last longer.
    Motivation to do things has changed also. I use to want to stay home all the time and "get some beer". I never realized how many things I blew off just so I could do this. It's been a busy two weeks for me and it feels great. I think I'll be more motivated to stick to my workout routine too. Like Chris said about the couch potato, that probably would have been me.

On a more personal note, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I know I mentioned that me father was a bad alcoholic but I didn't go into much detail.

As far back as I can remember my dad had a drinking problem. He would fight with my mom every night about anything you could think of. Like most alcoholics he was selfish but more than that I think he was just a bratt. Everything had to be his way or no way.
    Anyway, he use to eat his dinner on the living room floor and pass out that way every night. Who eats dinner lying on the floor?
    The biggest problem he had was he was very verbaly abusive towards my mom. Her nickname was pig. If he didn't like what she brought him for dinner he'd throw it across the room. I know we all joke around and some of you miscers might joke around and say that's "alfa", well that it's not. That's about as far away from alfa as you can get.
    He was always in a good mood when he drank, at least until he got too drunk. I remember as a kid I use to hate him when he didn't drink because he was always a miserable bastard. That was nothing compared to the hate I felt when he'd tell my mom that she was going to wake up in a ditch.
    One day my mom asked me if we should leave. It was during another night out to a hotel, actually this time I think we were going to a camp ground just to get away from his ass. Who allows his wife and kids to go out at night without a care in the world as to their safety? Anyway, I told her that now was the right time to leave. I was 14-15, my brother was 2 yrs younger, and my sister was 3.
    I guess she decided that she didn't want my sister to see the **** my brother and I saw because about a month later we left.
    He was at work, my mom wrote him a note, and we were off to PA from FL. The best decision my mother ever made. She met my step-dad, who is a the complete opposite of what my father was. He doesn't drink, yell, or care if he gets his way. He's about as alfa as they come.

This is why I feel like a weight has been lifted. All of my life I've hated my father. I was always the one sticking up for my mom when he got drunk and and always told her that we should leave. This is why I can't believe I drank at all. I know a part of me doesn't like the fact that I drink. A part of me wants to be what I promissed I'd be when I was a kid, so that's what I'm doing.

I also think there must be something to predisposition at an early age because otherwise, I should have never drank. One of my chores as a kid was to gather all of my fathers beer cans from around the yard so he could recycle them. He'd just throw the things everywhere and we'd have to pick them up. That's just an idea but things like that are the only excuses I can give my self for drinking in the first place.

I haven't gotten as bad as my father was but it have noticed some similarities. I know the name calling was getting out of hand between my wife and I. I also noticed I wasn't a very happy drunk, and I could see things starting to snowball with my addiction. I can only thank God that I was able to pull the plug when I did. I wasn't even close to what my father was but I all the signs were there. I didn't call my wife as bad of names, but none the less they were names.

This has all changed in the last two weeks.

I still talk to my father on occations. He'll call, we talk, and the conversation usually ends with me telling him how I feel because he's drunk. It's amazing the level of self pitty some alcoholics have. He still to this day says it's my mom's fault, that my mom turned us against him, that it takes two to fight. Ha! That's when I tell him, "did you forget? I was there" and the conversation ends. I've gone through the hope thing with him on a few occations. He'll talk to me and tell me everything I want to hear and I start to feel better about having him in my life and then, the next time he calls he doesn't remember the conversation. It's like talking to two different people. Now I have an idea of what my mom had to live with.
    I've come to learn that you can't choose your family, you just have to except them for what they are and not expect too much. This is what I have done.

I know my story is nothing compared to some. If anyone is intersted, there is a great book out there called "Adult children of Alcoholics". The first time I read it I was amazed at how acurate it was. It really helped me gain some insight about why I am the way I am. Impulsive behavior, ect.

Thanks for reading. It feels good to write about stuff sometimes
    Last edited by TNetz; 09-01-2009 at 08:24 AM.

allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) allmoney_1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wanted to start this thread for a little motivation to not drink again. I will update my progress as the weeks/months go on with honest feedback from the weekends events.

Reasons:
    -Legal troubles in the past.
    -I'm newly married and if I want to have a healthy relationship with my wife I can not drink.
    -I have a family history of alcohol abuse and it needs to end with me. My father lost his family because he couldn't say NO, I need to learn from his mistake.
    -No more pointless drama, stupid arguments, and conflicts in general.
    -save money
    -wake up early on a Friday & Saturday for change.
    -Mental health

Since June 09 I've been doing pretty good about keeping it to the weekends only. Before that I drank every other day, some weeks, every day. I always had an excuse for it saying I didn't have anything to do the next day or I didn't drink yesterday so today it's ok.

I wanted a change in my life so I decided to quit drinking during the week and start going to the gym again.
    Now, it's not any better. I find my self very irritable on the days that I don't drink and I binge drink on the weekends. I won't say how much I drink but I know I only stop when I'm passed out on the couch.
    This past weekend I got into a pretty good fight with my wife and I almost lost her.

I'm done. The only way for me to be healthy is to quit the cycle that I think I can control. I can not drink in moderation, I've tried. It's lasts for a while and then SMACK! It's back.

I'm too old for this sh!t.
    Wow looks like you really have or start to have a drinking problem. I would seek help (AA or talk to a addiction specialist).

Assurance has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    grats on giving up the poison.

Labor day weekend, no drinks. Feels good!

Went to a BBQ and had a great time without drinking. I did leave around midnight though, before it would have been 3am.

All of my close friends now know I quit. It's no big deal

bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobo4dawin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good job mate! Keep up the good work - its hard, especially when your friends like to drink, but you will get there.

I was always the one who drank tank loads at our parties or dinners, and I've noticed since I stopped drinking everyone around me has also cut back - which is great news all round! I must of been such an ass before, that they needed those drinks.

I was a daily drinker and cut back a few months ago, and stopped totally 2 months or so ago. I had my first drink in 2months on the weekend at my father in laws' party. Half glass of red wine. I choked and coughed on it, as I was not use to the vapour any more and it being quite strong. I also vomitted later that night, but could have been from the buffett, as I have been eating small meals for a while now... Pretty much felt like crap afterwards, and Im going to blame it on the alcohol so I can link the bad experience with drinking.

Best things about giving up the drink are;
    I now get up early (NEVER EVER EVER COULD before), this morning was up 520am for cardio!
    Really easy to get to sleep, always had trouble before
    Weight loss
    Saving **** loads of money
    Better time with my fiance
    Fitness has skyrocketed
    Easy to concentrate for Uni - got 84% for Physics and 93% for calculus

Bad things;
    I realize how much of a dickhead I was
    Most the people that I drank with I don't really like, and no longer friends with them all but 1
    Wasted time

But today is a new day! So keep up the dedication and I know you will do it!

blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) blockmonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You also realise what wankers other people can be when drunk, I can also spot people who are starting to develop a drink problem.
    I was at a pub the other day when i noticed this rather anxious looking girl walk in and buy 2 drinks. She sat down by herself and proceeded to neck the first drink in one go, followed by the 2nd not long after.

I used to do exactly the same thing to calm my nerves if ever I went out with a big group I would get there early and have a few to settle me down.
    owe

Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Neals91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    congratulations op

Originally Posted by bobo4dawin View Post
    Good job mate! Keep up the good work - its hard, especially when your friends like to drink, but you will get there.

I was always the one who drank tank loads at our parties or dinners, and I've noticed since I stopped drinking everyone around me has also cut back - which is great news all round! I must of been such an ass before, that they needed those drinks.

I was a daily drinker and cut back a few months ago, and stopped totally 2 months or so ago. I had my first drink in 2months on the weekend at my father in laws' party. Half glass of red wine. I choked and coughed on it, as I was not use to the vapour any more and it being quite strong. I also vomitted later that night, but could have been from the buffett, as I have been eating small meals for a while now... Pretty much felt like crap afterwards, and Im going to blame it on the alcohol so I can link the bad experience with drinking.

Best things about giving up the drink are;
    I now get up early (NEVER EVER EVER COULD before), this morning was up 520am for cardio!
    Really easy to get to sleep, always had trouble before
    Weight loss
    Saving **** loads of money
    Better time with my fiance
    Fitness has skyrocketed
    Easy to concentrate for Uni - got 84% for Physics and 93% for calculus

Bad things;
    I realize how much of a dickhead I was
    Most the people that I drank with I don't really like, and no longer friends with them all but 1
    Wasted time

But today is a new day! So keep up the dedication and I know you will do it!
    Thanks everyone, reps on recharge.

bobo4dawin, I agree with your list. I feel great. I find it much easier to workout now, you can search and find the threads I started about having no energy. Not any more. A big part of that is getting my sleeping schedule back on track. Like you, I always had a hard time falling asleep and waking up was impossible. I recently went to a car show about 4hrs away from me. We planned it for a whole year and when the day came, I slept in until 4pm in the hotel room. My friends said they tried to wake me up but I wouldn't budge. I had been up untill 5am the night before and drank myself into a stupor. That's an extreme example but it shows the problems I was having. I also had slight sleeping problems on sober days.

The relationship between my wife and I has never been better. I think we use to fight a lot about drinking or me always wanting to buy beer. Stupid stuff but it always led to her being "bitchy" towards me, she just had my best intentions in mind. I no longer feel myself getting mad about stupid sh!t which means I have more patience which means when the woman says something that doesn't quite make sense (because all women do it ) I find that I can deal with it and I don't call names or get frustrated.

I also agree about school being easier. Yes I'm still in school due to being in the military bla bla blah. But studying and motivation to get things done has increased. I feel like I'm in the zone if that makes any sense.

Some things suprise me though. Like the fact that I'm all together happier with life. My out-look on my future (school, career, ect) is a lot more optomistic than it use to be. I feel like I can be more social now and outgoing than before. Just stupid sh!t like being funny and making people laugh. I never realized how much my drinking had effected these things. It really does amaze me.

I keep trying to make my posts shorter so people don't have to read all this mubojumbo but it doesn't seem to happen. Sorry

I just remembered an interesting quote that an old psych professor once told me, sorry if it offends anyone, but it goes: "if you can sit down any day of the week and ask your self when it is that you're going to drink again, and know the answer, than you're an alcoholic".

A little extreme maybe, but I always found it interesting.

Later

Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500) Relativity is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by powerman2000 View Post
    Drinking alcohol also raises estrogen levels in men.
    Don't doubt it, a couple months after I quit drinking I found myself calling out people on their mistakes and standing up for myself in situations where I wouldn't have in the past. Strange feeling.
    ツ Forever Alone Crew ツ

always rape back after recharge

JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10) JamesBlonde is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wanted to start this thread for a little motivation to not drink again. I will update my progress as the weeks/months go on with honest feedback from the weekends events.

Reasons:
    -Legal troubles in the past.
    -I'm newly married and if I want to have a healthy relationship with my wife I can not drink.
    -I have a family history of alcohol abuse and it needs to end with me. My father lost his family because he couldn't say NO, I need to learn from his mistake.
    -No more pointless drama, stupid arguments, and conflicts in general.
    -save money
    -wake up early on a Friday & Saturday for change.
    -Mental health

Since June 09 I've been doing pretty good about keeping it to the weekends only. Before that I drank every other day, some weeks, every day. I always had an excuse for it saying I didn't have anything to do the next day or I didn't drink yesterday so today it's ok.

I wanted a change in my life so I decided to quit drinking during the week and start going to the gym again.
    Now, it's not any better. I find my self very irritable on the days that I don't drink and I binge drink on the weekends. I won't say how much I drink but I know I only stop when I'm passed out on the couch.
    This past weekend I got into a pretty good fight with my wife and I almost lost her.

I'm done. The only way for me to be healthy is to quit the cycle that I think I can control. I can not drink in moderation, I've tried. It's lasts for a while and then SMACK! It's back.

I'm too old for this sh!t.
    Best of luck to you TNetz. I'm a Pittsburgher as well and work at Western Psych in Oakland. I've seen many people destroy their lives and the lives of others with alcohol. It sounds like you are better off without it. Your family and your health are what matters most in life.

SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50) SuppFiend will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    tomorrow (the 12th) ill have 15 months clean from drugs, alcohol, and cigs

..feels good man..

good job at identifying drinking as a source of your problems in ife and taking the nessecary steps , hope everything works out well for you.
    Last edited by SuppFiend; 09-11-2009 at 09:33 PM.

ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10) ashtong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Best of hopes to you brah

Jari Litmanen="KingLitti" KingLitti's Avatar
    KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250) KingLitti has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Best of luck to you.

Tommorrow is actually my 30th day without a drop of alcohol. Feels good man
    The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. It's easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger

Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefano88 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Goo luck man, but I'm not sure if you should bother with AA, its a religious cult, they have their own bible and everything, I'd steer clear. Went myself twice and its really odd, they don't actaully give you any advice.

Anyway, constructive stuff, just find something to do instead of going out drinking, take up a new hobby, or try learning a new language or something, just don't allow yourself to be doing nothing, because then you'll want to drink.

Basicaly, keep yourself busy