Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tony2289 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tony2289 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Why do i look like a newb at the gym???

Ok....I eat well within wat my calorie intake should be, i excercise 5 days a week and cardio on the other two days, i do not eat carbs after 6:00 p.m. so that it does not store in my body as fat, i consume about 200 grams of protein per day and have complex carbs pre and post workout with my protein shakes, and i still cannot seem to lose fat. I max 215 on bench (i know it's a light weight) and 375 on squat, i eat no sweets and only drink water, almost 2 gallons a day. Why do i still look like i don't know what a gym is.

i weigh 175
    i'm 20 years old
    6 feet tall
    and have noticeable fat on my lower abdomen, waist, hip, thighs, and calves

(should i lose even more weigh should i really drop below 170-165 or is der sumethin i could do?)

Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Eat less or be more active.

antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    if you're worried about fat in those places then simply work those areas with more volume and/or better intensity. 375 is a strong squat, but that isn't sufficient to work all those places that you're unsatisfied with. I wouldn't eat less, I would train differently.

tony2289 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tony2289 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so building stronger muscles in those areas would help reduce fat?
    "It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything." - Fight Club

Went from 245 to 185 and now i want to do a clean bulk, but before that i need to complete my first cut.

02/27/09 - 185lbs
    03/06/09 - 180lbs
    03/13/09 - 175lbs
    03/20/09 - 175lbs
    03/27/09 - 175lbs

name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by antbanks View Post
    if you're worried about fat in those places then simply work those areas with more volume and/or better intensity. 375 is a strong squat, but that isn't sufficient to work all those places that you're unsatisfied with. I wouldn't eat less, I would train differently.
    what this guy said is completely wrong...there is no such thing as spot training....where your body loses/stores fat is determined by genetics...if u have stomach fat doing a bunch of ab work will not make u specifically lose stomach fat...u just have to be in a calorie deficit so u burn fat in general and eventually you'll see a change in those areas

antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) antbanks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lol obviously, you know that.
    legs are a huge muscle group. you have to do a multitude of different leg exercises to get the shredded and perfectly toned look you're seeking. in fact, today is leg day for me!

name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) name1234 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    also from the sound of it your on the right track. how long have u been doing this for? u have to be patient results dont come over night...and your allowed to eat carbs after 6

legs are a huge muscle group. you have to do a multitude of different leg exercises to get the shredded and perfectly toned look you're seeking. in fact, today is leg day for me!
    doing more work on a certain area will help with muscle separation and thus definition (if your already at a low body fat), but it will not make u lose fat in that area specifically...if your not losing any weight u can decrease calories, increase the calories your burning (more exercise), or both

Originally Posted by name1234 View Post
    what this guy said is completely wrong...there is no such thing as spot training....where your body loses/stores fat is determined by genetics...if u have stomach fat doing a bunch of ab work will not make u specifically lose stomach fat...u just have to be in a calorie deficit so u burn fat in general and eventually you'll see a change in those areas
    have fun being calorie deficient! it takes resistance and calories to build muscle, not starving yourself and neglecting your problem areas.

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by tony2289 View Post
    so building stronger muscles in those areas would help reduce fat?
    Banks is Wrong and Wrong.

You cannot spot reduce fat with any type of specific excercise, you also cannot remove fat by building muscle in a fat prone area. That is like the old, "do crunches to get a 6 pack" myth, even when you have a gut covereing them.

Pretty much thought this myth was completely defunct by now, but apparently not.

If you have stubborn fat, evaluate your diet, weight training, and importantly your cardio. Once you have burned off some of that fat, then your hard earned muscles will show.
    I OWE: JohnnyChristian
    negs:
    OWES ME:

RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500) RuckstaR is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You may be red, but you are completely right.
    negs:
    OWES ME:

have fun being calorie deficient! it takes resistance and calories to build muscle, not starving yourself and neglecting your problem areas.
    yes it takes resistance and calories to build muscle but i wasnt talking about building muscle...it takes a calorie deficit to burn fat which is what i was talking about, and spot training does not work for losing fat from certain areas, its genetic
    Last edited by name1234; 08-05-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Ian_B is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    lol at you being so ignorant

To lose fat you HAVE to be in a calorie deficit. Period.

doing more work on a certain area will help with muscle separation and thus definition (if your already at a low body fat), but it will not make u lose fat in that area specifically..
    you're right, and I understand what you're saying. However, I'm suggesting that OP works on BUILDING MUSCLE in his problem areas which in turn will lead to reduced fat. it's not like training to burn fat is the only way to train. in order to achieve desired results, there are variables you can manipulate like volume and intensity.

you're right, and I understand what you're saying. However, I'm suggesting that OP works on BUILDING MUSCLE in his problem areas which in turn will lead to reduced fat. it's not like training to burn fat is the only way to train. in order to achieve desired results, there are variables you can manipulate like volume and intensity.
    Losing fat and gaining muscle are largely separate goals. At this point he needs to lose fat, not try to do both at one time and get nowhere.

Building muscle in problem areas will not directly result in reduced fat in those problem areas. It would help in reducing fat around the body in general.

That being said, lean mass does lead to a higher metabolic rate, but it is an extremely small increase, and certainly not large enough to make a difference in someone who has significant problem areas of fat.

Building muscle helps, but the only solution is cardio, caloric deficit and smart training.
    negs:
    OWES ME:

Originally Posted by Ian_B View Post
    Losing fat and gaining muscle are largely separate goals. At this point he needs to lose fat, not try to do both at one time and get nowhere.
    This. Plus the increase in your RMR due to increased muscle is fairly insignificant when compared to diet and excercise.
    negs:
    OWES ME:

although he's wrong about spot training...looking over this guys stats i agree he should prob focus on gaining muscle...at 6ft tall and that weight i doubt the fat is anything significant and he should probably just focus on gaining muscle, what are u doing in terms of weight training? u also need a rest day u shouldn't be working out 7days a week...a rest day means no exercise for a day, including cardio

Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000) Holyspokes is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok....I eat well within wat my calorie intake should be, i excercise 5 days a week and cardio on the other two days, i do not eat carbs after 6:00 p.m. so that it does not store in my body as fat,
    Because you are a newb.
    ENCLAVE
    Fitness & Nutrition
    CISSN
    CSCS
    CF-L1

Cyclist, Sprinter, Foodie.

when i said i don't eat carbs after 6, i meant i don't eat carbs well before bed, becuz i will no longer be excerting energy to burn the carbs or calories i ate.
    "It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything." - Fight Club

Went from 245 to 185 and now i want to do a clean bulk, but before that i need to complete my first cut.

02/27/09 - 185lbs
    03/06/09 - 180lbs
    03/13/09 - 175lbs
    03/20/09 - 175lbs
    03/27/09 - 175lbs

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So besides banks being a tool, tony will you be providing video's of these max lifts?
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dimasso69 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    when i said i don't eat carbs after 6, i meant i don't eat carbs well before bed, becuz i will no longer be excerting energy to burn the carbs or calories i ate.
    Because your body shuts off after 6 right? What do you eat after 6? Just protein?? And why 6oclock?
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right!"-Henry Ford

hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) hooked4life is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    we know what you meant.
    "And Those Who Were Seen Dancing Were Thought to be Insane by Those Who Could Not Hear the Music."

You really need to do some reading. The concept you speak of is ridiculous.

L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10) L1GHTWEIGHTBABY is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Personally, I've always gone by the idea that you should do workouts that focus on the core to get your midsection looking good. Squats (375 is heavy dude), deadlifts (make sure your deads are up there too), and weighted situps can do numbers your waist. The bigger and firmer those muscles are, the better chance you have to see some abs and stretch out that fat you have down there.

I didn't read through the entire thread but if you haven't already, figure out your BMR and your exact caloric intake. You may be eating more than you think.

I also think that the idea of neglecting carbs after 6PM doesn't make sense. I DO think that a large percentage of carbs should be eaten in the morning but you should continue to eat well balanced meals of fats/carbs/protein, not just protein/fat. If certain foods make you feel bloated and retain water, that's one thing. Some peoples bodies are sensitive to particular foods.

I eat carbs with my dinner (715pm) 3-5x a week and I've seen the best results in my BF just by knowing how many calories I'm taking in.

To sum up this post:

DO eat carbs after 6pm
    DO count calories
    DO squats/deads/sit-ups to hit the core.
    praising the god of form

OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OldschoolBB99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeh spot reduction is not possible in theory.. yet it in practice there is anectodal evidence that it does seem to work... if only because of what is happening to the muscle underneat the fat ( talking about abs here).. but yes its almost all diet

Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok....I eat well within wat my calorie intake should be, i excercise 5 days a week and cardio on the other two days, i do not eat carbs after 6:00 p.m. so that it does not store in my body as fat, i consume about 200 grams of protein per day and have complex carbs pre and post workout with my protein shakes, and i still cannot seem to lose fat. I max 215 on bench (i know it's a light weight) and 375 on squat, i eat no sweets and only drink water, almost 2 gallons a day. Why do i still look like i don't know what a gym is.

i weigh 175
    i'm 20 years old
    6 feet tall
    and have noticeable fat on my lower abdomen, waist, hip, thighs, and calves

(should i lose even more weigh should i really drop below 170-165 or is der sumethin i could do?)
    Hey tony, your tall, give yourself time...your young, give yourself time. Get skinfolds done by an expert (not your usual pt at the gym) as the ratios between them give you a peak into your hormone balance...waist fat and hip/thigh may be pointing to the fact you deal poorly with insulin increasing products...ie. grains...rice....kick the carbs out of your diet completely for two weeks and boost up your saturated fats to compensate for the calories...no you won't feel like a tank in the gym for a bit but you will get used to not walking around all pumped. The name of the game is results and it sounds like you may be more concerned with the esthetics and being lean all over as opposed to being huge...mass comes with time anyway so don't sweat it...kaizen approach. Once you get the lean machine coming out...then you can concentrate on the size...one thing at a time is what our machines like...no confusion. Pm me anytime if you want direct advice. I love this stuff!

Oh, and if your natty which I think you are...those are respectable weights bro!
    Last edited by Etrain2330; 02-14-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Edit good...:)
    "all posts are from my personal life experiece and educational background perspective, non-aggressive (regardless of how you read it) and written just how I would say it in real life. ..

Www.thintruckin.com
    http://ca.linkedin.com/in/iamericmorrison/

Former anabolic mod at superior muscle...as in, back in da day...:)
    Former transformation specialist/strength and conditioning coach @ muscletech
    Former writer and diet consultant @nxlabs (contract job)

necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) necon76 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Etrain2330 View Post
    Hey tony, your tall, give yourself time...your young, give yourself time. Get skinfolds done by an expert (not your usual pt at the gym) as the ratios between them give you a peak into your hormone balance...waist fat and hip/thigh may be pointing to the fact you deal poorly with insulin increasing products...ie. grains...rice....kick the carbs out of your diet completely for two weeks and boost up your saturated fats to compensate for the calories...no you won't feel like a tank in the gym for a bit but you will get used to not walking around all pumped. The name of the game is results and it sounds like you may be more concerned with the esthetics and being lean all over as opposed to being huge...mass comes with time anyway so don't sweat it...kaizen approach.

Tony died, sat at the computer after waiting 3 & a half years for your response.
    Delirious Mutant.

mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mh22 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by necon76 View Post
    Tony died, sat at the computer after waiting 3 & a half years for your response.
    Lols, reps on rc

Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Etrain2330 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mh22 View Post
    Lols, reps on rc
    That is actually hilarious....crazy that I used to mod a huge anabolics board and now I am so rusty I did not even see it...thanks...maybe he is growing in the grave
    "all posts are from my personal life experiece and educational background perspective, non-aggressive (regardless of how you read it) and written just how I would say it in real life. ..

Www.thintruckin.com
    http://ca.linkedin.com/in/iamericmorrison/

Former anabolic mod at superior muscle...as in, back in da day...:)
    Former transformation specialist/strength and conditioning coach @ muscletech
    Former writer and diet consultant @nxlabs (contract job)