Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Questions for Vegetarians/Vegan

All the other vegetarian/vegan threads seem to have died out a while ago and I've been doing some research on old threads. I have a couple questions for anyone with experience on these diets.

1) Vitamins and nutrients - Do you take supplements for things such as iron, zinc, B vitamins commonly found in large quantities in meat? If so, do supplements really give you what you need? For example i've heard our bodies don't fully absorb multivitamins and I tend to believe that.

2) Fish oil - Guys who don't eat fish for moral reasons probably don't eat fish oil right? What about all the health benefits of fish oil?

3) Do you believe that you could be stronger, healthier, and leaner without the vegetarian diet but only do it for moral reasons? Or do you believe that its helped you become healthier, leaner, etc.. along with the fact that you no longer eat animal flesh?
    *Misc Cologne Crew*

Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Love Pirate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    bump
    *Misc Cologne Crew*

rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Love Pirate View Post
    All the other vegetarian/vegan threads seem to have died out a while ago and I've been doing some research on old threads. I have a couple questions for anyone with experience on these diets.

1) Vitamins and nutrients - Do you take supplements for things such as iron, zinc, B vitamins commonly found in large quantities in meat? If so, do supplements really give you what you need? For example i've heard our bodies don't fully absorb multivitamins and I tend to believe that.

2) Fish oil - Guys who don't eat fish for moral reasons probably don't eat fish oil right? What about all the health benefits of fish oil?

3) Do you believe that you could be stronger, healthier, and leaner without the vegetarian diet but only do it for moral reasons? Or do you believe that its helped you become healthier, leaner, etc.. along with the fact that you no longer eat animal flesh?

1. The only thing I take in this category would be Emergen-C.

2. I don't eat fish because I hate the taste. Don't take fish oil either.

3. I don't think it would make a difference in strength if I started eating meat. (I eat eggs, cheese, everything but meat) **** the moral reasons, I don't care about that. The only problem I have with the meat is the growth hormones in the animals.

Originally Posted by rejected View Post
    1. The only thing I take in this category would be Emergen-C.

2. I don't eat fish because I hate the taste. Don't take fish oil either.

3. I don't think it would make a difference in strength if I started eating meat. (I eat eggs, cheese, everything but meat) **** the moral reasons, I don't care about that. The only problem I have with the meat is the growth hormones in the animals.
    Thanks for the reply man. It seems like most vegetarians choose dairy and eggs as their main source of protein.

Oh and I will rep responses
    *Misc Cologne Crew*

CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10) CPX is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Vegan

1. I take a multi-vitamin & a multi-mineral like everyone else should. I had a spectra blood test taken this year and all my nutrient levels were fantastic.

2. Fish do not produce DHA, they eat it from sea algae. There are DHA supplements made from that same algae.

3. I think it's easier to be stronger & leaner with an omnivorous diet, but I think the same results can be achieved by an herbivore.
    i am taking it upon myself to learn to teach
    cows how to peacefully protest by starving themselves

i'll get to pigs and chickens with time

cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50) cell technical will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rejected View Post
    I don't think it would make a difference in strength if I started eating meat. (I eat eggs, cheese, everything but meat) **** the moral reasons, I don't care about that. The only problem I have with the meat is the growth hormones in the animals.
    Just out of curiosity, if you're only a vegetarian because of hormones used on our livestock, why don't you just buy meat from a company that pledges to be hormone-free? Why don't you eat chicken, which by law can't be treated with hormones?

bump
    *Misc Cologne Crew*

shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) shitfit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by CPX View Post
    Vegan

1. I take a multi-vitamin & a multi-mineral like everyone else should. I had a spectra blood test taken this year and all my nutrient levels were fantastic.

2. Fish do not produce DHA, they eat it from sea algae. There are DHA supplements made from that same algae.

3. I think it's easier to be stronger & leaner with an omnivorous diet, but I think the same results can be achieved by an herbivore.
    This.

I am not vegan for moral reasons, but because I have been a vegetarian since I was eight and have tapered myself into this eating habit.

I'm just a picky eater with an even pickier stomach to boot.
    Co-Owner of MOARmuscle.com

rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10) rejected is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by cell technical View Post
    Just out of curiosity, if you're only a vegetarian because of hormones used on our livestock, why don't you just buy meat from a company that pledges to be hormone-free? Why don't you eat chicken, which by law can't be treated with hormones?

Well, I don't really like it anymore really. I got used to not eating it and just don't care now.

bump
    *Misc Cologne Crew*

bump
    *Misc Cologne Crew*

dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dude57 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bodybuilding.com veggie bodygroup.

Bodybuilding.com has started bodygroups.
    Join this great new group for people that want to be veggie and fit!

http://groups.bodybuilding.com/veggies_united

We can support each other along the way with recipes, veg supplements, resources, and more.
    Be flexible!

http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=100001401368255&ref=ts

eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000) eddiebo is just really nice. (+1000)
    1. Yes
    2. Flax oil is a good vegetarian alternative to fish oil
    3. Healthier with a vegetarian diet

Registered User I_eat_vegetable's Avatar
    I_eat_vegetable has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1) No supplements - just plain food
    2)Nope
    3) I feel being vegan has made me healthier. As long as you eat properly you will get all the nutrients you need. I have drastically cut down on saturated fats, trans fat and bad cholesteral.

trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000) trackblonston is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Love Pirate View Post

1) Yes, but I don't believe any are necessary with a well planned diet save for calcium + D, and b12. My blood tests always come back normal, except I was actually too high in b12, so supp is obviously workin.

2) There are vegan dha epa supps, but they are fairly expensive right now. Right now I just take large doses of flax seed/oil. I do feel this puts me at a disadvantage, and think that dha and epa are important. Flax only contains ALA, which can be used to synthesize dha and epa, but it's not as easy as getting a direct source. As has been said, algae sources (where fish get it) are available.

3) I've done both I put 20-25 lbs on as a vegan, In my experience the difference isn't too noticeable, but no doubt it's easier with dairy/meat/eggs. The ethical and environmental aspects are a huge part of why I do it. I don't think that things like whey protein, fish, chicken etc in moderation are bad, but I don't agree with factory farming and the methods that these things come to the table with. I'm not interested in killing them myself, so I don't eat them.

Then again, this is the nutrition section so probably should not delve into that too much.

If you take the time to plan a decent diet, you can get fine results as a vegan.
    Last edited by ronniecoleman21; 07-31-2009 at 11:46 PM.

gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) gsolo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    why do you think you need additional Calcium and Vitamin D?

I think those vegan dha/epa supps that you are talking about are only DHA supplements. Either that or they contain so little epa that its not listed on the label.