Total Newb Always Learnin black70stang's Avatar
    black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Obese Newb Here, Preparing My FIRST "Cut" - Critics Inside, Please

Been lurking around, reading the stickies and doing searches for about the past week or so - I'm gathering information and planning for my first ever "cut" that I plan to start this coming Monday, 07/27/09. Those of you experienced with substantial weight loss, please go over my plan and critique it as you see necessary.

ABOUT ME: 23 year old male, 6'0", nearly 270lbs. Body fat percentage likely in the 35% range (I don't have calipers yet). Completely new to diet, exercise and nutrition - cursed with a desk-all-day job.

THE GOAL: Lose 75 pounds (I'd like to be under 200lbs) or achieve 10% body fat, whichever comes first. I plan to continue this "cut" until the goal is achieved, and I'd like maximum results quickly. My motivation is through the roof.

...and now the details:

CALORIE DEFICIT: Based on my calculations, my caloric intake for the first week should be ~2600 (eating at a deficit). I will re-calculate this weekly, lowering my target calories as needed. I plan to log my foods using FitDay or The Daily Plate.

EXERCISE SCHEDULE: I picked up a free weight set & bench, and I plan to use it 4 days per week. On these days, I'll participate in LISS/LILD cardio for ~45 minutes. On the 3 days I don't lift, I plan to do periods of HIIT lasting up to 20 minutes.

PROTEIN SUPPLY: I plan to ingest 170g or more of Protein per day (my LBM is ~170.33) using 3 daily IsoPure Protein Shakes (Zero Carb) and frequent chicken as a staple in my diet.

SUPPLEMENTS & MY "STACK": 2 Daily Tablets of GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin | 5 daily tablets of GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil (4.5g/day) | 4 Daily Tablets of Xtreme Lean Fat Burner | Tonalin CLA (3.5g/day)

I've found the following post very informative and will be following the guidelines here: forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=312607141&postcount=1305

Any suggestions/comments/ideas are well appreciated. This is my first official "cut" and I'm in the process now of doing all the research needed to maximize results. I'm sick and tired of my physique as is, and I'm ready for a (BIG) change.

On Monday, I'll create both a log here on BodyBuilding.com and a Twitter account so any interested parties can track my progress.

I definitely appreciate any and all input folks!

CloverMonk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CloverMonk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CloverMonk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CloverMonk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CloverMonk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CloverMonk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Be careful on doing weights, you can over-stress yourself, and do it to much, and do more harm then good. Good luck, I hope to get my fat butt down too, I hope you succeed.

Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brienze782 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Congrats on doing some research and being more informed than 95% of the people who make their first posts here.

Few things:
    Forget the fat burner. If you're obese YOU WILL /NOT/ NEED IT. trust me.

Make sure you're drinking a lot of water (around 1 gallon per day, don't go crazy over it)
    **Your first week your body won't be used to all this water you're drinking, and its going to hold onto a lot of it. My first week I didn't lose any weight, but my second week I dropped 7lbs which was 4lbs of water weight and 3lbs of fat.

Make sure to read the motivation forum on this site, its the best thing for you. The motivation it's given me is unmeasurable.

Other than that, it sounds perfect, but you should start today. Remember that diet is 90% of losing weight and you can start eating right anytime.
    Last edited by Brienze782; 07-23-2009 at 10:00 PM.
    07/01/09 - 345 lbs
    08/24/12 - 271 lbs
    02/10/13 - 229 lbs

Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000) Excellentswag is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with Brienze about the fat burner. It's more of a low bodyfat thing to help with those last couple pounds. At your size, there will be pretty much no diff with using it. Don't fret though, being over 250 means those first 50+ pounds are gonna come off pretty fast/easy. (Relatively speaking)

black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) black70stang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the luck and for taking the time to reply guys - those of you that suggest getting rid of the Thermogenic - do you suggest sticking with the CLA?

I realize that hard work/good diet are going to be what makes the ultimate difference!

mic_to_befit76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck with your weight loss. Sounds like you have done your homework.

I haven't taken any shirtless pics - I will do that Monday. For now, here I am:
    Attached Images

Cuts like an emo kid AtleastItried's Avatar
    AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You've got everything in order. The only I would note would be the fat burner. You're probably better off just going the the classic EC stack, but it's really a question of semantics at that point.

The main things are the diet and excercise and you've got those on lock down =)
    Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level". ~Bruce Lee

BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BigBear327 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As most of the others have already pointed out, the fat burning supplements are not needed at this stage in the game. Save them for the inevitable plateaus that can't be broken easily with more cardio.

The plan looks good. Stick to it and you will see results! Good luck!
    "In order to survive you, I must first survive myself. I can sink no further and I cannot forgive you. There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you."

hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hodag1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I would agree with almost everything you wrong, but I also concur that you should lose the stimulants. Although you are young, at 270 you have enough strain on your cardiovascular system without adding vasopressors.

A few tweaks I might suggest is to lose the "up to 20 minutes" qualifier on your HIIT. Over time you can take it to 30 minutes and you should when you can. As you start out, you might be lucky to make it 5 minutes but don't worry about it. Next week you can do 7 minutes and the week after than 10.

The way you have it set up, you are lifting or doing HIIT every day. Once in a while you body needs a break to rebuild so throw in a rest day (or even two) now and then.

Feel free to create a larger calorie deficit. With so much fat mass on your body right now, you can source a lot of calories from adipose tissue and can manage quite nicely on fewer dietary calories. As you drop weight, you will have to tweak this the other direction, but for now you can do less than 2,600 unless that drives you crazy with hunger.

If you can, avoid the protein supplements. There is absolutely nothing wrong with whey protein, but it is better to get your protein from normal diet. Part of your goal should be learning how to eat healthy for the rest of your life and whey shakes are likely not going to be part of your long-term diet plan! Throw in some beans, lentils, fish and other protein sources.

Finally, if you stick to the plan you have outlined then you are destined for considerable success and failure is simply not an option for you. Unlike many newbies, you are doing all the right things and avoiding the crazy ones. See you at 200 lbs.
    May 31 WT: 227.6 BF%: 33.2%
    June 28 WT: 216.2 BF%: 32.0%
    July 26 WT: 207.6 BF%: 30.2%
    Aug 30 WT: 199.8 BF%: 28.7%

Goal WT: 155 BF%: 10.0%

Thanks for all your feedback guys - just to update the post - I'm now at 253lbs as of this morning!

Working hard and sticking to it!

Cuts like an emo kid AtleastItried's Avatar
    AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50) AtleastItried will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Don't stop! Well done =)
    Try not. Do or do not. There is no try.

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level". ~Bruce Lee

t1g3ras0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

CONGRATSS on the weight losing.. im on a similar plan as you. ive gone from 255 on july 1st to 232 as of this morning. all on biking and cardio 7 days a week. what i need tho is a decent workout plan and some adive on the proteins i should be taking. so any advice from yall would be so much help.

PS my goal is to make weight to join the AIR FORCE in january...and my max weight should be 191 but they will let me slide in at 205 max

dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10) dragonaut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As other people has said drop the fat burner, I'd drop the HIIT too(at least for now) at 270 lbs doing all out sprints is NOT a good idea, your joints will thank you for that.

At the beginning the 2 most important things are: stick to the diet(calorie wise), AND stay injury free while your are being introduced to weight lifting , so I'd recommend medium intensity cardio , to get your endurance up without killing your joints...good luck

jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jlbush has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Someone said that you should/could drop below 2600 calories to start with...I disagree with that you already have it in your head that you're going to need to start cutting calories as your progress slows...So after the first week if you're losing more than 2lbs a week I would up your calories a bit...If you drop your cals significantly more and you stall where do you go from there to keep losing fat? Same thing with cardio...too much cardio and you really get to the point where you "can't" or "won't" do anymore because you're already doing so much...Slow is good, trust me I know what it's like to just want to lose as much weight as possible in the shortest amount of time...

However, I dieted the wrong way to get myself from 240 to 200...I have one of those success stories at the gym up on the wall, well I never had any pictures of me at 240 (that really showed I was 240) well when I was 200 I took some pictures and about a year after that I was 190-195 only a 5-10lb difference and people thought it was a 30-40lb difference...Now, I said all that to say how important it is to diet right and keep as much LBM as possible.

I agree that sprints are not the best thing right now and should be started when you lose more weight (less pressure on the joints, which they might not bother you now, but quite possibly will down the road if you sprint now)...Plus, it will help you break through a weight stall down the road.

Another thing I'm surprised no one commented on is how low your overall protein is...I think your protein should be higher especially to help you preserve some more LBM and depending upon your carb intake...Carbs higher = protein can be lower and vice versa...At the end of the day the most important thing is cals in vs. cals out, but your prot/carb/fat ratios can influence if you're losing primarily fat, muscle or about half and half...

The last thing that I would suggest is to not worry about "clean" or "dirty" foods...IMO overall macro nutrient content is much more important than if you're getting 20grams of carbs from some brown rice or 20 grams of carbs from a 1/2 cup of ice cream...You're overall health will be much better just losing weight in general and not over consuming calories (which IMO contributes to most health problems more than just eating "dirty" foods) Not saying to avoid your EFAs and Lean protein sources and fibrous carbs, but to me as long as your Chol. BP and bowel movements are fine (or getting better *BP and Chol.*) then enjoy your foods...I've personally wasted so much time and energy mentally worrying about the glycemic index of this and how much of insulin response I get from this or that, when the fact is you just need to hit your numbers for the day and you'll do fine (as long as you're in a caloric deficit while trying to lose weight)...Don't know how you plan on making sure you hit your calories each day, but I would recommend weighing your food and counting pro/carbs/fat...Pain in the a**? YES...Does it work like a charm and take the guess work out of the question "Why I'm not losing weight?"...YES!!!

Best of luck to you and I really hope you don't make the same mistakes I did, but IMO you've done the most important thing so far and that's educating yourself and doing your own RESEARCH!

Hope this helps!

GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GOGOGTO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great Work doing the research!! You will love the Isopure Protein its great stuff. I use the dutch Chocolate.. An elliptical will be your best friend for the joints. Good Luck..!!
    Last edited by GOGOGTO; 08-14-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Checking in from 239

Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10) Andrew-L is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    congrats man 31 lbs so far, almost half way there!

Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Enigma1098 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    congrats man!

sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sephiroth7240 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by black70stang View Post
    Checking in from 239
    Hey I just saw this thread and read through it. Awesome work!! Keep it up

DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DuLac is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Wow, congratulations. 31 lost in 2 months is a fantastic pace.

Keep it up!
    MMMC/He-Man Crew

Misc Strength Crew

Bench: 295x4
    Squat: 315x4
    Dead: 370x4
    -Raw-
    ◕‿◕

The Gangsta of Flip Cup ShadowsDeed's Avatar
    ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ShadowsDeed is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    just stared last week i'm in teh same boat as you 270.

good to know other miscers are heading in the same direction as me.
    "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

MISC CIGAR CREW

^^^()()GERMANIC CREW()()^^^

Checking in from 226

vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vytas41 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    post an updated routine and/or diet. Show us what you are up to!
    CFCL Journeyman.

On a mission in Budo.

Checking in from 217. I'll prepare some information to post up later tonite.

csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) csb5731 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Nice work! It's gotta feel good.

norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10) norburt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

p90x

Originally Posted by black70stang View Post
    Been lurking around, reading the stickies and doing searches for about the past week or so - I'm gathering information and planning for my first ever "cut" that I plan to start this coming Monday, 07/27/09. Those of you experienced with substantial weight loss, please go over my plan and critique it as you see necessary.

ABOUT ME: 23 year old male, 6'0", nearly 270lbs. Body fat percentage likely in the 35% range (I don't have calipers yet). Completely new to diet, exercise and nutrition - cursed with a desk-all-day job.

THE GOAL: Lose 75 pounds (I'd like to be under 200lbs) or achieve 10% body fat, whichever comes first. I plan to continue this "cut" until the goal is achieved, and I'd like maximum results quickly. My motivation is through the roof.

...and now the details:

CALORIE DEFICIT: Based on my calculations, my caloric intake for the first week should be ~2600 (eating at a deficit). I will re-calculate this weekly, lowering my target calories as needed. I plan to log my foods using FitDay or The Daily Plate.

EXERCISE SCHEDULE: I picked up a free weight set & bench, and I plan to use it 4 days per week. On these days, I'll participate in LISS/LILD cardio for ~45 minutes. On the 3 days I don't lift, I plan to do periods of HIIT lasting up to 20 minutes.

PROTEIN SUPPLY: I plan to ingest 170g or more of Protein per day (my LBM is ~170.33) using 3 daily IsoPure Protein Shakes (Zero Carb) and frequent chicken as a staple in my diet.

SUPPLEMENTS & MY "STACK": 2 Daily Tablets of GNC Mega Men Sport Multivitamin | 5 daily tablets of GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil (4.5g/day) | 4 Daily Tablets of Xtreme Lean Fat Burner | Tonalin CLA (3.5g/day)

I've found the following post very informative and will be following the guidelines here: forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=312607141&postcount=1305

Any suggestions/comments/ideas are well appreciated. This is my first official "cut" and I'm in the process now of doing all the research needed to maximize results. I'm sick and tired of my physique as is, and I'm ready for a (BIG) change.

On Monday, I'll create both a log here on BodyBuilding.com and a Twitter account so any interested parties can track my progress.

I definitely appreciate any and all input folks!
    do p90x. once done and happy then do lifting and cardio. find a schedule and routine you like. remember, diet is everything!!!!!