Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    w3ll5y has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w3ll5y has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is it true that you can't gain muscle while losing weight?

Hey Guys,

I have a friend who keeps telling me that you cant gain muscle while losing weight and I keep telling him i am gaining muscle and i am losing weight... He still wont listen to me and tries to make it a competition between him and me. Its getting annoying and i want some peace of mind from someone who actually knows... Im quite happy if you prove me wrong aswell but you have to PROVE IT!!

NevaBackdown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NevaBackdown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    u cant unless u have really goood genes

qoute "Question: Can I lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Answer: Unfortunately, losing fat and gaining muscle are conflicting goals. Building muscle requires eating more calories than you burn while losing fat requires eating less calories than you burn. When you're trying to lose fat and reducing calories, you won't be taking in the number of calories your muscles would need to grow larger.

That isn't to say that if you lose fat, you have to lose muscle too or that you can't get stronger while trying to lose weight. If you follow a balanced program that includes cardio, strength training and flexibility and make sure you're getting adequate protein, you're on the right track.

When it comes to setting your goals, you can either choose to gain muscle or to lose fat. You could even split your goals goals into different phases--a fat-loss phase (in which you also preserve muscle mass) and a muscle-building phase. But, what you can't do is go after muscle-building and fat loss all at the same time. Learn more about building muscle and fat loss. " end qoute

btw its only possible for noob gains it can only get u so far

w3ll5y has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) w3ll5y has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by NevaBackdown View Post
    u cant unless u have really goood genes

qoute "Question: Can I lose fat and gain muscle at the same time?

Answer: Unfortunately, losing fat and gaining muscle are conflicting goals. Building muscle requires eating more calories than you burn while losing fat requires eating less calories than you burn. When you're trying to lose fat and reducing calories, you won't be taking in the number of calories your muscles would need to grow larger.

That isn't to say that if you lose fat, you have to lose muscle too or that you can't get stronger while trying to lose weight. If you follow a balanced program that includes cardio, strength training and flexibility and make sure you're getting adequate protein, you're on the right track.

When it comes to setting your goals, you can either choose to gain muscle or to lose fat. You could even split your goals goals into different phases--a fat-loss phase (in which you also preserve muscle mass) and a muscle-building phase. But, what you can't do is go after muscle-building and fat loss all at the same time. Learn more about building muscle and fat loss. " end qoute

btw its only possible for noob gains it can only get u so far
    Where did you get all this information from. You could have made this up. Still doesnt resolve the issue!

NevaBackdown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NevaBackdown has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by w3ll5y View Post
    Where did you get all this information from. You could have made this up. Still doesnt resolve the issue!
    http://exercise.about.com/od/weightl...atgainmusc.htm

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/gain.htm

man ur stubborn

http://bodybuilding.about.com/od/bod...atgainmass.htm

Well these websites contradict that:

(findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_6_19/ai_102140895)

It is possible you just have to have the right diet and do the right exercise. It is still possible though and on that bombshell i rest my case!!!!

It is possible you just have to have the right diet and do the right exercise. It is still possible though and on that bombshell i rest my case!!!!
    ok
    good luck
    i d love to see ur bench press hit 200 kg on that diet and a 8 pack
    good luck

goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am doing it. To win the bet you will need to do body measurements. You will also need a BF% tool. He will most likley go by scale weight and won't understand staying the same weight is loosing fat and gaining muscle.

Pick up the latest muscle & fit mag from Vshoppe. One of the girls in there gained scale weight but lost 4" on her waist and gained 2" on her back. Yeah, I would call that fat loss and muscle gain.

Originally Posted by goracer View Post
    I am doing it. To win the bet you will need to do body measurements. You will also need a BF% tool. He will most likley go by scale weight and won't understand staying the same weight is loosing fat and gaining muscle.

Pick up the latest muscle & fit mag from Vshoppe. One of the girls in there gained scale weight but lost 4" on her waist and gained 2" on her back. Yeah, I would call that fat loss and muscle gain.
    Thanks mate! Like me i have stayed at 97kg but lost 5cm round my waist and gained 2 inches on my arms... I have also noticed the difference in fat in my body aswell. Like i look alot less fat but i have stayed the same weight i guess through muscle gain.

Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If anyone asks the question that OP did, the answer is Yes, No and Depends.

It is impossible to gain muscle and lose weight at the exact moment in time......I'll say it one more time.....the EXACT moment in time, due to the laws of thermodynamics, but it is possible to do so over a period of weeks, months and years. Essentially, you are losing weight at some points and gaining mass at other points, over the course of time.
    The law of thermodynamics that applies here in layman's terms is that you can't create something from nothing (something being muscle and nothing meaning a deficit of calories).

It is very hard to find the correct balance in diet and training, but I and others have been able to do it over the course of time. Some call it culking (combination of cutting and bulking). You can achieve this easily by doing calorie cycling, where you eat 500 cals or so over your maintenance for 3-4 days and then eat 500 cals or so under your maintenance for 3-4 days, in addition to weight training. Or you can do it by accident, by overeating at key moments where muscle is created, while eating low enough at other moments to lose weight in a deficit.
    My Will Is Hot Molten Lava

rkh38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think the act of building muscle helps facilitate the burning of fat. The more exercise you do and more weights you lift will eventually the leave the body a choice of whether to burn fat or muscle. It would most always love to burn fat first, but if you don't watch your diet closely, it will breakdown your muscle and use protein for fuel.

AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AWhislyle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Did you just start working out? Then it is possible.
    "Sorry I didn't make it to the beauty pageant"

rkh38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Also if you favor more endurance cardio over weight training, then you risk burning muscle protein.

nuthin but a gbone thang gbone74's Avatar
    gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000) gbone74 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have never seen anyone who is really muscular get it by losing fat,they do one or the other no one ever got huge arms and massive shoulders on a diet
    You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

David Brent: 'If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain'. Do you know which philosopher
    said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she's just a big pair of tits.

4th jun 2008-342lbs
    21st may 2009-186lbs

thanks for the imput guys.
    Yeah i think its definetely possible if you cycle your calories and ****.

baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250) baarat has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Someone that has low body fat to begin with and is trying to build muscle and lose fat will tell you it isn't possible, which for the most part it isn't. People that might be classified as skinny fat or have damaged BMR's and haven't workout in their life, then it can happen...........newbie gains.
    Last edited by baarat; 07-15-2009 at 03:36 AM.

Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Tid0ra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hmmm.. as tj said it contradicts eachother.. cutting requires under calorie deficit and vice versa for bulking..

if your a noob and just begin hitting the weights u can do both... but after 6 months or so the muscle building progress slows down.. thats known as noob gains..

unless you cycle your calories awesomely you can slowly lose fat while very very very slowly gain muscle...

go have a look at pictures of pros when they are in their off season
    kaa maa haaa maaa HAAAAA!!!!!!

Is this real life??

Originally Posted by AWhislyle View Post
    Did you just start working out? Then it is possible.
    agree to that
    noob gains

goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) goracer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mine could be newbie results. I add to calorie intake on weight days and deficit on rest days. I have cut out sugar almost completely (well as much as possible) and little low good carbs, allthough mostly on weight days. On cut days it's fish, veggies, water and protein.

Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Hotmoltenlava is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by goracer View Post
    Mine could be newbie results. I add to calorie intake on weight days and deficit on rest days. I have cut out sugar almost completely (well as much as possible) and little low good carbs, allthough mostly on weight days. On cut days it's fish, veggies, water and protein.
    What you are doing is calorie cycling. You can lose fat and gain muscle with that program.

As far as newb gains.....I think it is caused by newbs not watching their intake closely. They are accidentally calorie cycling. I have no evidence, but it is a good theory.......
    My Will Is Hot Molten Lava

Yeah I tend to do that a bit without realising it... It probably is noob gains but now im going to concentrate on cutting down before building muscle..

Originally Posted by Hotmoltenlava View Post
    What you are doing is calorie cycling. You can lose fat and gain muscle with that program.

As far as newb gains.....I think it is caused by newbs not watching their intake closely. They are accidentally calorie cycling. I have no evidence, but it is a good theory.......
    hahah i have to disagree
    i did first time i wanted to loose fat
    now that i v lost what i want i dnt look at my calories hahah

Registered User want2gainmuscle's Avatar
    want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well put it this way..

A bodybuilder friend of mine uses a low carb diet daily with 1 day a week where he binges himself, eating ANYTHING, and as much of it as he wants.

He's big, and lean.

He gave me the advice that the low carb diet will see good muscle gains as long as you keep your protein intake to 2 grams per kilogram of lean body-weight.
    And I have every reason to take his word with the results he has.

BUT. If you're a naturally skinny guy, chances are this won't work, but then again, why would you want to slim down when you don't have to?..
    Last edited by want2gainmuscle; 07-15-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Arrow

Originally Posted by want2gainmuscle View Post
    Well put it this way..

A bodybuilder friend of mine uses a low carb diet daily with 1 day a week where he binges himself, eating ANYTHING, and as much of it as he wants.

He's big, and lean.

He gave me the advice that the low carb diet will see good muscle gains as long as you keep your protein intake to 2 grams per kilogram of lean body-weight.
    And I have every reason to take his word with the results he has.

BUT. If you're a naturally skinny guy, chances are this won't work, but then again, why would you want to slim down when you don't have to?..
    1. has he always done that his whole body building careeer?
    2. is he doing somethin similiar to a ketogenic diet?

want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10) want2gainmuscle is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    1/ 18 years

2/ I'm not sure. I have not heard of that diet before.

Originally Posted by NevaBackdown View Post
    1. has he always done that his whole body building careeer?
    2. is he doing somethin similiar to a ketogenic diet?

Hmm this sounds interesting but i bet he does like mad gym sessions and ****...

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

hey troll

Gain muscle = calorie surplus

Lose weight = calorie deficit

Tell me the problem here

Body recomps...short periods of surplus and deficits take the longest time to achieve and your better off either cutting or bulking.

Good source considering anyone can post an article from that site...might as well have posted a wiki article.
    Last edited by LiftHeavy85; 07-15-2009 at 11:04 PM.

monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000) monatu is just really nice. (+1000)
    IMO (and its only my opinion and what Iv seen) you can in the very beginning of your training. When I started ~2years ago I went from a fat, flabby undertrained 73kg's to the same weight, but a lot more muscley, slimmer and stronger in about 4-5 months.

Call it bro science or whatever you want, but its what I have experienced.
    Official Rugby training thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=107034291

Well he used to have a fully equipped gym, but now just goes to the gym 3 days a week for no longer than 45 minutes.

Hmm this sounds interesting but i bet he does like mad gym sessions and ****...

LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftHeavy85 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by monatu View Post
    IMO (and its only my opinion and what Iv seen) you can in the very beginning of your training. When I started ~2years ago I went from a fat, flabby undertrained 73kg's to the same weight, but a lot more muscley, slimmer and stronger in about 4-5 months.

Call it bro science or whatever you want, but its what I have experienced.
    called newbie gains, everyone experiences it which is why this whole myth exist and only those that have a limited amount of training ask this question.

Everyone that is pass newbie gains knows better.

Originally Posted by LiftHeavy85 View Post
    hey troll

Gain muscle = calorie surplus

Lose weight = calorie deficit

Tell me the problem here

Body recomps...short periods of surplus and deficits take the longest time to achieve and your better off either cutting or bulking.

Good source considering anyone can post an article from that site...might as well have posted a wiki article.
    thank u i was waiting for this
    i gave him about 6 articles saying u cant
    and then he post 1 articles sayin he can seriously?