andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pump and DOMS on lats?

Hey everybody! Long time lurker but first time poster in these forums.

I've started working out 6 weeks ago. I've been counting my calories and macronutrients and it's going great so far, except one thing that has been bothering me.

I never felt a "pump" or DOMS on my lats so far, even though I work them out as intense as other body parts. Is that normal? For example, yesterday I did chest and back workout, I feel a mild DOMS and got the pump yesterday on the pecs but nothing on the lats. I even feel some DOMS on the biceps which helped to do the lats exercises (and got the pump on biceps too). Am I doing the exercises wrong? For lats I do some warm up sets on the Rowing machine, then 4 full sets of that at 8 reps (8th rep is almost muscle failure), then 3 sets/8 reps on Lat Mach, then 3 sets/8 reps on pulley

Thanks for reading and thanks for the constant motivation and information

wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) wolfbaden6 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You might never feel a pump or DOMS. For some reason, it's difficult to get that feeling in those muscles.
    Training log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128207401

"You know, you surround yourself with a lot of positive role models and over time, enough of 'em will inspire you to do the right thing." - Phil Pfister

"You went full Crossfit man. Never go full Crossfit." - Burningnun

JosefRakichFitness.com JOSEF RAKICH's Avatar
    JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    - Close grip lat pull downs (keeping elbows INFRONT of your body)

Doing this allows you to pull from insertion to insertion activating the entire lat.

I always do this exercise every back day its the first thing i do i do 5 sets and i have a lat pump on the 3rd set, also i never use to get DOMS with my back, untill the first time i tryed these, IMO this is the best lat exercise, nothing hits my lats harder.

Give this a go, and you should have sore lats the day after.

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool

Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    - Close grip lat pull downs (keeping elbows INFRONT of your body)

Doing this allows you to pull from insertion to insertion activating the entire lat.

I always do this exercise every back day its the first thing i do i do 5 sets and i have a lat pump on the 3rd set, also i never use to get DOMS with my back, untill the first time i tryed these, IMO this is the best lat exercise, nothing hits my lats harder.

Give this a go, and you should have sore lats the day after.
    do you copy paste this everywhere bruz ?

JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOSEF RAKICH has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by buffgrk View Post
    do you copy paste this everywhere bruz ?
    Yes i actually did copy/paste half of that from a previous post of mine lol.

How did you break your hand?

__r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500) __r is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A better mind muscle connection might help you. When you do lat pull downs the next time, try the following: Close your eyes and focus on driving your elbows to the floor, instead of pulling the bar down.

buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) buffgrk is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JOSEF RAKICH View Post
    Yes i actually did copy/paste half of that from a previous post of mine lol.

How did you break your hand?
    work accident, kind of flattened my hand.. ill be back in the gym next week fo sho, legs / abs / + 1 Lagging left arm till the right gets better

Originally Posted by buffgrk View Post
    work accident, kind of flattened my hand.. ill be back in the gym next week fo sho, legs / abs / + 1 Lagging left arm till the right gets better
    Gutterd. . .

Just go crazy on the abz.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by andrewcons View Post

I've started working out 6 weeks ago. I've been counting my calories and macronutrients and it's going great so far, except one thing that has been bothering me.

I never felt a "pump" or DOMS on my lats so far, even though I work them out as intense as other body parts. Is that normal? For example, yesterday I did chest and back workout, I feel a mild DOMS and got the pump yesterday on the pecs but nothing on the lats. I even feel some DOMS on the biceps which helped to do the lats exercises (and got the pump on biceps too). Am I doing the exercises wrong? For lats I do some warm up sets on the Rowing machine, then 4 full sets of that at 8 reps (8th rep is almost muscle failure), then 3 sets/8 reps on Lat Mach, then 3 sets/8 reps on pulley

Do the pulldown (pulley) first thing, and try to work up to a strength level where you can do some pullups, which will then lead to weighted pullups.

Lats are muscles that are typically in their shortened position when relaxed (arms at your side). Try holding on to something that's fixed over your head, like, say the top of a door frame. If it feels really tight, then you have DOMS.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10) Avenger7x is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ^this. I also had a smiliar problem but once I worked up to pullups, DOMS is guaranteed the day after (for me anyways).

mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mjlindne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    pull ups are your friend

andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andrewcons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hmm I guess I will try to put pullups into my workout. I don't think I can do many with my body weight but I will slowly work on it. I tried what you said tyrbo and it did feel a bit tight but not enough as I want it to be. I think I'm using my biceps too much in those lat exercises. I will try to work on it on my next back day.

Thanks for the feedback

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Took awhile but eventually I focused very hard on getting the mind-muscle control over my lats just like I guess you could say moving your chest at first.

For me it took very high reps infact I did not care if the weight was feather-like I just wanted to feel the contraction in my lats before going any heavier. Once I got that down and moved up in the weight it became easier and easier.

Once you can literally control the movements exact to hit the desired muscle you can then drill them to exhaustion easier then if you believe your form is correct and making a hypothesis about what muscle this exercise should be hitting. This is also one of the reasons I believe alot of seasoned bodybuilders break form on alot of movements and focus in on a certain ROM because they can feel where it needs to be for a certain result.

My 2 cents. Good luck!
    Last edited by Sir_Malak; 07-14-2009 at 08:36 AM.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You could try emphasizing the negative/stretch portion of the rows more. This helps me activate my lats more and seems to decrease bicep involvement.
    New life in place of old life
    Unscarred by trials
    A new level of CONFIDENCE and POWER

RTS log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136314231

Sheiko log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133108803

I've been reading that super slow reps (5 seconds positive and 5 negative) helps in the establishment that mind-muscle connection. The article claims that it's better to use less weight but keep a perfect form for these slow reps. It makes some sense.

Do you think it works? How will doing that affect your gains?

I think I can risk looking like a retard in the gym, if this method helps me learn to focus to contract/flex specific muscles. I can only flex the biceps, calves and abs without doing any movements at all, but i've seen people move their glutes or pecs at will.

(It seems I need 30 posts to be able to post links)
    Last edited by andrewcons; 07-14-2009 at 08:01 AM.

D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50) D4rkhorse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I made a thread last week about a lat exercise that I found really helpful:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=117551041

bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000) bonvec01 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been reading that super slow reps (5 seconds positive and 5 negative) helps in the establishment that mind-muscle connection. The article claims that it's better to use less weight but keep a perfect form for these slow reps. It makes some sense.

Do you think it works? How will doing that affect your gains?

I think I can risk looking like a retard in the gym, if this method helps me learn to focus to contract/flex specific muscles. I can only flex the biceps, calves and abs without doing any movements at all, but i've seen people move their glutes or pecs at will.

(It seems I need 30 posts to be able to post links)
    I've had limited experience with TUT methods, but I feel like their kinda overrated. It seems like a great way, like you said, to establish stronger mind-muscle connection. But once you've got that mastered, I don't see much of a reason not to do reps at a normal and/or explosive tempo.

Maybe someone else could shine some light on a good reason to train like that.
    New life in place of old life
    Unscarred by trials
    A new level of CONFIDENCE and POWER

RTS log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136314231

Sheiko log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133108803

petunia83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lightbulb have you swam 30mins prior to weights?

have you tried swimming a half hour by 10 laps doing freestyle the 10 laps doing backstroke? the do your regular gym workout fo the next 30-60 mins after that. Do swimming 30 min every other day. you will FEEL your LATS going thru DOMS, i promise.

EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000) EliKoehn is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP has had his breath held since Obama was a new president! Bet he can't wait to try this.
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 375
    Deadlift: 495

"... But always, there remained, the discipline of steel!"