Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Major props to those of you who keep birds.. They are really cool looking, but there is NO WAY I'd be able to handle the shrieking. I think I'll stay with tropical fish.

Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Minotaur View Post
    OK, this is going to come off as extremely harsh, but it's the way I feel about obtaining animals and then re-homing them.

First, cockatoos are extremely needy and clingy birds. They are suitable only for stay-at-homes or work-at-homes, and must be with their people virtually all the time. I don't know if you knew this before obtaining the bird, but many, many people who get large birds do so because "they're beautiful" or "they talk and are funny" or some other reason such as that.

My friend and former co-worker whom I re-homed Rio from did not know that even a 5 oz Jenday conure is not a family bird. They are noisy: their screams can make your ears bleed. They are line-of-sight screamers... if they can't see their flockmate (you) they will call incessantly. And come looking, fight feathers or no. He did not know any of this before getting the bird. He only went by the bird seller, who lied. So, 9 months later, I had a Jenday conure.

Moreover, most parrots: Macaws, 'Toos, African Greys, Amazons, even little conures have the intelligence and mentality of human toddler. Left to their own devices they will get into as much mischief as possible. They will destroy furniture the same way a toddler will write on walls or take a pencil and gouge a design into your dining room table if you don't use the eyes in the back of your head.

Will mishaps happen? Sure, but the difference is the human child would not be put up for adoption. Having a child or obtaining an animal is a comittment. Barring a threatening situation with an overly aggressive dog that cannot be trained, and is a threat to others, I'm appalled at the ease with which people will re-home an animal.

What people fail to realize is that the animal is doing what it does. It does not know why it is separated from its human. Unless it can be re-homed with a person it will bond with and forget its previous owner (they actually never do), the bird will be prone to disorders ranging from feather plucking to depression to aggression to fear.

I'm not a PETA nut, so it has nothing to do with that. It has to do with experience and knowledge of their behavior. Would I take an Amazon or 'Too? Hell no. Amazons become hormonal buzzsaws during the season, and 'Toos as I mentioned are too needy and clingy to be left in their cages all day while the human is at work.

I'm sorry to hear this happened, but quite honestly it's not unexpected. Birds that large and destructive, when they are out of cage, need to be on a stand they cannot climb down from or leap to another piece of furniture from. If they are given sufficient distractions, i.e. parrot toys, the chances of this happening are almost nil. Great inexpensive parrot toys and set ups are trapezes made from unfinished turned wood, hung from a ceiling plant hanger with blocks of wood cut from 2x4s, holes drilled in them and walnuts pushed in. Anything to keep the bird occupied when its out of cage. It can't t just sit on a stand like a potted plant. Now, maybe you did all this; I don't know. Whatever you finally do, I hope the bird fares well, better than other re-homes.

I just read backwards and see the humor, and that you do know what you are doing. Sorry. I've read too many sad bird and other animal stories. My apologies. Now removing the stick from my a$$.
    Good post Minotaur. I think gen pop do not understand bird behavior.

I wanted a finches, but my Mom ( who was deathly afraid of birds due to a chicken attack as a kid) feeel in love with my Nanday at the store and said get him! So, I did. He's hell on wheels when he wants to be and I learned alot by subscribing to Bird Talk magazine for years. he's 18 years old and hopefully my nanday Sidney will live to be 20+ ( can live to 27 years.)

It's a commmitment and never having a clean house lol because birds throw stuff like you would never guess until you saw it. hehe. But, very , very sweet when they want to be. I spent over 8 hours with him yesterday, usually 1 hour when it's a work day. They need alot of attention or they get mean because they need interaction.

DM being upset about the speakers is understandable. it happens, it's frustarting and then you move on. The bird was just being a bird, lol
    The Watchmen
    Rorschach: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

'The timid civilized world has found nothing with which to oppose the onslaught of a sudden revival of barefaced barbarity, other than concessions and smiles.'
    -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50) rbdwarf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ask an Aboriginal Australian.
    Why? Do they taste like chicken as well?

--
    Rob
    June 2007.........: 398 lbs
    July 07th 2008...: 297 lbs
    May 15th 2009...: 340 lbs (oops!)
    Sept 22nd 2009..: 284 lbs (back on track!)
    Dec 29 2009......: 250 lbs

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deborah_Lyn View Post
    Good post Minotaur. I think gen pop do not understand bird behavior.

I wanted a finches, but my Mom ( who was deathly afraid of birds due to a chicken attack as a kid) feeel in love with my Nanday at the store and said get him! So, I did. He's hell on wheels when he wants to be and I learned alot by subscribing to Bird Talk magazine for years. he's 18 years old and hopefully my nanday Sidney will live to be 20+ ( can live to 27 years.)
    Finches are a hoot to watch. They're so on speed. My partner had a Nanday but she wasn't clipped. His mother left the cage open somehow, and somehow the bird got out. Never saw her again. Conures can live 25-30 years.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rbdwarf View Post
    Why? Do they taste like chicken as well?

--
    Rob
    Oh I'm not going there. You never know who's watching.

The native Australians hunted all kinds of parrots. Even the little budgies, what we call parakeets. The name budgerigar means "good to eat" in one of the native languages.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    When my son was small, we got him one of these quaker parrots
    They can be very affectionate, but much like bigger parrots, they can squawk for ever.
    Glad we have only one.

But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Finches are a hoot to watch. They're so on speed. My partner had a Nanday but she wasn't clipped. His mother left the cage open somehow, and somehow the bird got out. Never saw her again. Conures can live 25-30 years.
    A good and longtime friend of mine had a conure. She said it was a "dusty conure." Very, very smart. Liked to sit on her shoulder when she took showers.

It didn't like me at all. It would come over and bite my ear or poop on me when I visited, so I eventually made her put it in the cage or I wouldn't enter her house.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Dusky. Yeah, all conures are feisty little ****ers. I have to take Rio in the shower with me. She sits on her shower perch and makes happy little sounds. Before I get out, I turn the water down, and cooler, then take the hand held sprayhead and give her a shower. She tolerates it but it's not her favorite thing. The fun part for her is when I hang her "boing" (it's a rope ladder/swing with others toys hanging on it) on the perch and she flaps and fixes her feathers.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dusky. Yeah, all conures are feisty little ****ers. I have to take Rio in the shower with me. She sits on her shower perch and makes happy little sounds. Before I get out, I turn the water down, and cooler, then take the hand held sprayhead and give her a shower. She tolerates it but it's not her favorite thing. The fun part for her is when I hang her "boing" (it's a rope ladder/swing with others toys hanging on it) on the perch and she flaps and fixes her feathers.
    Yeah, my friends conure was really cute when it made those sounds. It loved fritos, so when it saw you reaching in the frito bag and pulling one out for a treat it would do that.
    Time To Re-Schedule

immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000) immuno is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here's a story for you bird lovers: (no negs at the end please)

My ex and I had zebra finches for a number of years. The could occasionally be loud (especially their young..omg), but overall, they were pretty cool. We kept them in a very large cage. We also had a small travel cage we would use to xport the young in when we gave them away. The entire time we had the finches, our siamese cat (20 lbs of muscle) would just saunter by the cage, and not even give it a second look; he'd totally ignore it, and the birds.

One morning we placed a small number of birds in the "travel" cage in order to xport them to their new owners, and placed the cage in the middle of the table. We then needed to go run some errands before xporting them, so left the apt. Upon returning to the apt, we discovered the cage in the middle of the floor destroyed, 2 missing birds, and a terrified bird sitting on top of the drapes. The cat was reclined on the couch benignly looking at us with what I could swear was a smile on his face.

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    Yeah, my friends conure was really cute when it made those sounds. It loved fritos, so when it saw you reaching in the frito bag and pulling one out for a treat it would do that.
    Rio likes corn chips too. And cashews, her favorite. You can't go near where they are kept and let her see you. She starts shaking and stretching. Nanners are num-num too.

But she's a little bitch... someone can give her one of her favorite treats, she'll take it and nuzzle their hand, but when she's done if the person goes to step her up, she snaps and bites. I love watching their reaction.

Maybe people are right and I am becoming just a mean old man.

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DerAlta View Post
    Ahhh...sorry about that, I mis read the humor

I know how infectious they are, and I've seen the good and bad side of people with birds. I've also seen the good and bad side of birds. I've many a wounded finger/hand/arm to show for it also.

Glad to hear she's not going anywhere.

Here's a shot of Baby, and his girlfriend Nellie (She's leaning down).
    They are beautiful and thanks for articulating the joys and perils of parrot ownership, particularly about 'toos. She thinks the entire flat is her chew toy. The macaws' behavior isnt quite that bad in comparison lol. The too was there for me (inseparable, ahe felt my grief) when i lost my boyfriend recently. I promised all my parrots that they had forever homes and for as much space as they take up, not to mention time, money and sanity...i am a wan of my word. I love each and every one of them.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Did it occur to you that she heard there was a "tweeter" in there and she wanted to see if it was one of her friends?

I'm Batman.

Okay, I'm not.

Here's a frog.

@..@
    (----)
    ( )-( )
    o0..0o

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by blabber View Post
    Did it occur to you that she heard there was a "tweeter" in there and she wanted to see if it was one of her friends?

lmao
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

The Cake Is A Lie! StressMonkey's Avatar
    StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) StressMonkey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh wow. I was worried this was going to be a thread about you having to give up one of your pets.

I've always kind of wanted a bird like these but I don't think I'm up for the level of commitment it would require.
    There will come a day when I tire of listening to 80's music. That day is not today.

I Really Miss The Old BodySpace

-O35 5'8" Crew- -Karl_Hungus Crew-

Originally Posted by StressMonkey View Post
    Oh wow. I was worried this was going to be a thread about you having to give up one of your pets.

I've always kind of wanted a bird like these but I don't think I'm up for the level of commitment it would require.
    nooooo she's not going anywhere. the entire flat has parrot damage - that is what they do to keep their beaks at a manageable length. the cockatoo is a voracious chewer. for her tho it's much more than a beak maintenance thing.

she has recently taken to stalking and attacking me. nice one day, or one minute, and stalking/attacking the next. she left a bruise on my foot recently. their beaks could take off a finger so when she bites she means business. another time she was going crazy on the back of my chair and lunged forward. i thought she lost her footing so i leaned back towards her and she tried to take my ear off. i don't know why she's doing this, unless it's some new aggressive breeding behavior. i put up with a lot from this bird. she is usually very loving and cuddly. lately she's like jekyll/hyde. i think i'm getting paid back for all my pms episodes lol.

Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldiewonkanobi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Oh yes our 'former' precious Sydney, the Molucan Cockatoo. At sundown every night he/she would scream, calling in the flock to join him/her in the Flamma Bamma tree on the edge of the rain forrest. Problem, no Flamma Bamma tree just a $1,000 freakin cage in my living room. Did Sydney learn to speak....yes. Sydney would clearly say "Shut the F--- up".

Sydneys favorite foor...chair. Second favorite...spaghetti.

Baldie

Thank God Jendays don't talk. The way we curse out my s-i-l I can only imagine the things that would get repeated if she came to the house.

Though, on second thought, it's too bad Jendays don't talk. I must get a B&G Macaw or an African Grey.

Thank God Jendays don't talk. The way we curse out my s-i-l I can only imagine the things that would get repeated if she came to the house.

Though, on second thought, it's too bad Jendays don't talk. I must get a B&G Macaw or an African Grey.
    I have a theory that birds that talk are generally more quiet that those who don't. Cockatoos have shorter tongues which makes speech more difficult for them. When the chicken goes off with her screaming fit Ben the blue and gold tells her to shut up. I ask him to lol it's funny cuz sometimes he mutters it under his breath. Ben also sings opera(!) and bob the greenwing enjoys dancing to gangsta rap-he always throws his left wing up when I put on
    Pac and Dre's calif love. I have a video and have tried loading it to YouTube with no luck. My boys are quite entertaining. The little Senegal runs all of parrots tho. Napoleon complex for sure. He liked to sit on my chest and feed me; that means we are bonded.

And the cockatoo tries to hump my arm. Rapist.

I kind of thought cockatoos were not great talkers. Macs and Greys are probably the most talented. Amazons are beautiful but I've heard how temperamental they are, and I don't think they talk as well as Macs and Grays.

When Rio laid eggs in the spring, the vet told me it was a bonding thing. But I'm not so sure about that. Though I do belong to her. It's perfectly normal for them to non-chalantly lay a few once or twice a year. And she didn't brood them. She just dropped them from the perch. *SPLAT* Only once she ever puked on my hand, and it was so little that I said "no, you didn't just do what I think". Yeah, she did. But never did it again, even at the egg laying time.

canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50) canadianwoman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cute bird. Too bad about your speaker.

so i got her out of her cage when i got home. she was behaving pretty well, sitting with me, getting petted while i was on the computer. then all of a sudden decides to take a bite out of my hand, between my thumb and forefinger. she's in lockdown now. i don't know why this bird all of a sudden hates me. if she keeps this up she WILL go to a sanctuary or new home. i can't be, literally, stalked and bitten by this "pet".

edit: no i don't really mean it, but i really wish i could figure out what's wrong with this bird. she was never like this before.
    Last edited by dungeonmistress; 07-15-2009 at 08:25 PM.

Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Whatanejit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you think she senses all the changes in the house and your upset since your bereavement?

I hear they are very sensitived to their human's emotions.

Originally Posted by Whatanejit View Post
    Do you think she senses all the changes in the house and your upset since your bereavement?

I hear they are very sensitived to their human's emotions.
    could be, also could be the fact that it's breeding season - but this is the first time she's ever attacked me because she is bonded to me. she's attacked my daughter, she's attacked my boyfriend and will even go after other birds if she's in bed with me. ya i know that sounds sick huh? she likes to go under the covers. sometimes all the birds are in bed (or on my bed) watching tv. i do most of the watching tho. she jealously guards her space like it's our nest or something.

anyway, for a week or so after my boyfriend's passing this bird would not leave my side - in a good way. i was off work a week and whenever i felt the need (which was often) i would go out and take a walk, bringing her with me. she may have gotten used to that and is now pissed off that i don't spend the requisite time with her because i'm at work, the gym, etc.

it's getting frustrating and i want to help her.

DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just curious, any idea how old she is?

One of my Umrellas, Nellie, loved me to bits. Wouldn't go near my wife or really anyone. She was a tad bit "messed up" when she was handed over to us. Feather Plucked, paranoid, jumpy, on a Prescrip for Haldol and could barely perch.

Now, years later, she has stopped plucking, she's off the drugs and is about as normal as any other cockatoo. Except that she really prefered me over anyone else. My wife by this time could handle her and play with her, but strangers were out of the question. About a year ago, she got into the mothering mood, and turned viciously on me. To the point where I can't open her cage, because she'll launch at me. In order to clean her cage, I have to put on a heavy winter coat, along with gloves and stick my arm in there. She latches on and won't let go. I tuck her in like a football and have to scrape her off into another cage. Going back is about the same story.

I ask about age, as she may very well becoming hormonal. Also, she may have perceived a threat that you didn't see.

And yep, she may be angry that you aren't spending as much time with her.

And as for covers, yep, I've been there. Our little Hahn's will motor about under hte covers for as long as we let her. Out Too's used to do that as well. I couldn't image what it'd be like with two macaws and a Mollucan on one bed.

Not sure if I helped, but at leasst you know someone else fully understands and has the scars to show for it. Ever had an ear pierced by a Cockatoo? I have.
    The Iron will never Lie to you.
    “Whatever doesn’t kill me… had better start running”
    Willpower is a muscle, and as such, it must be exercised. Heavily and Often.

Continually paying my Dues in the Iron-Sanctuary.com

I am very thankful for your presence here! Ana is about 16 so both she and my human daughter are going thru it at the same time. I thought she already (the bird) was fully sexually mature years ago bit due to their longevity perhaps I was mistaken and she is now going thru it. She would occasionally attack boyfriend but never me. And now this. I love this parrot dearly. She has never plucked. I think I will take her for a walk tomorrow and buy her a huge new toy.

There has also been a change in my appearance when I went from very long hair to short. Maybe I need to syrup my head as per whatanidjits thread lol.

Ps she hasn't pierced my ear-she pierced my lips instead. No kidding. Totally my fault. She also had gone for my nose piercing and, with a surgeonlike precision managed to lunge and grasp only the stud in her beak. Could have turned out very nasty.

Originally Posted by DerAlta View Post
    Just curious, any idea how old she is?

One of my Umrellas, Nellie, loved me to bits. Wouldn't go near my wife or really anyone. She was a tad bit "messed up" when she was handed over to us. Feather Plucked, paranoid, jumpy, on a Prescrip for Haldol and could barely perch.

Now, years later, she has stopped plucking, she's off the drugs and is about as normal as any other cockatoo. Except that she really prefered me over anyone else. My wife by this time could handle her and play with her, but strangers were out of the question. About a year ago, she got into the mothering mood, and turned viciously on me. To the point where I can't open her cage, because she'll launch at me. In order to clean her cage, I have to put on a heavy winter coat, along with gloves and stick my arm in there. She latches on and won't let go. I tuck her in like a football and have to scrape her off into another cage. Going back is about the same story.

I ask about age, as she may very well becoming hormonal. Also, she may have perceived a threat that you didn't see.

And yep, she may be angry that you aren't spending as much time with her.

And as for covers, yep, I've been there. Our little Hahn's will motor about under hte covers for as long as we let her. Out Too's used to do that as well. I couldn't image what it'd be like with two macaws and a Mollucan on one bed.

Not sure if I helped, but at leasst you know someone else fully understands and has the scars to show for it. Ever had an ear pierced by a Cockatoo? I have.
    Last edited by dungeonmistress; 07-16-2009 at 09:05 AM.

Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000) Deborah_Lyn is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good luck with your birdie!!!

Hair cut might really be part of the issue. I used to have hair going down half my back ( over 3 feet long), my bird freaked when I got a hair bob and it was ear's length. He used to hide under my hair and preen the back of my neck.

And good luck with your walk! My little conure never learned to like a leash, so no walks /sigh

But, he gets really pissed if I don't spend at least 1 hour a day with him - very bitey. Takes a good 10 minutes to warm him up to do the Up command and make kissey noises.

Maybe some bribery with a favorite treat? mine loves a bit of cheese or really soft bread to roll his beak on.
    The Watchmen
    Rorschach: "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

'The timid civilized world has found nothing with which to oppose the onslaught of a sudden revival of barefaced barbarity, other than concessions and smiles.'
    -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

gee maybe I should get a wig of my old hairstyle! . The bird is beyond finicky. I cook for her-rice and veggies, green grapes only. Maybe I will get her some macadamias or pistachios as a treat-good idea, tx. She is not on a leash outside, rather I have her on my forearm with her foot in my hand. Works well for big parrots.

Good luck with your birdie!!!

Hair cut might really be part of the issue. I used to have hair going down half my back ( over 3 feet long), my bird freaked when I got a hair bob and it was ear's length. He used to hide under my hair and preen the back of my neck.

And good luck with your walk! My little conure never learned to like a leash, so no walks /sigh

But, he gets really pissed if I don't spend at least 1 hour a day with him - very bitey. Takes a good 10 minutes to warm him up to do the Up command and make kissey noises.

Maybe some bribery with a favorite treat? mine loves a bit of cheese or really soft bread to roll his beak on.

I don't take Rio outside anymore. She's become very skittish and jumpy lately. I think it's because Chester is with us. He is, after all, a predator and she is a prey species. She's clipped but a good breeze could get her airborn. Not worth it. And there are hawks in the area. I saw one divebomb a rabbit or something in grass.

Rio won't stop screaming and calling until I go get her. Once she hears the truck and the side door, omg it's all over. Bleeding ears time. She needs to nibble my lip and preen my beard.

Cashews. She loves them and shakes so violently when she knows she's getting one I swear she's going to vibrate off the perch. Then she damn near rips it out of my fingers.

DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by dungeonmistress View Post
    I am very thankful for your presence here! Ana is about 16 so both she and my human daughter are going thru it at the same time. I thought she already (the bird) was fully sexually mature years ago bit due to their longevity perhaps I was mistaken and she is now going thru it. She would occasionally attack boyfriend but never me. And now this. I love this parrot dearly. She has never plucked. I think I will take her for a walk tomorrow and buy her a huge new toy.

There has also been a change in my appearance when I went from very long hair to short. Maybe I need to syrup my head as per whatanidjits thread lol.

Ps she hasn't pierced my ear-she pierced my lips instead. No kidding. Totally my fault. She also had gone for my nose piercing and, with a surgeonlike precision managed to lunge and grasp only the stud in her beak. Could have turned out very nasty.
    that's the interesting thing about birds. They may physically sexually mature, but they may not be mentally mature. My cockatiel didn't start laying eggs until she was nearly 16. Our B&G macaw is 16 and she's never laid an egg. Nellie, didn't turn on me, until she laid her first egg.

Now, I'm not infering that Ana is getting ready to lay an egg, but changes happen in a body and as such, emotions can change. I concur about the Hair Change. Combine that with the recent big change in your life and there are ways that birds see each other that we can't. Which could contribute to your birds new behavior.

Pile in some new toys and slowly wean back the amount of time you spend with her. The good thing that I have in my house, is most of our birds have a "buddy" that is near them, or in their cage to hang with.

As for Scars, I have a nice one on my wrist from my wife's Scarlet Macaw, another one on my chin (hence the goatee) from our Goffins and a nice one on my ear from Nellie the 'Too. The ones on my hands and arms have all healed.

One of the treats that our guys all like are unsalted Pistachis, and also Pasta. My Big macaw gets a Lobster leg on his birthday every year. They'll eat just about anything. It really spikes conversations, when you're at a BBQ sharing a chicken leg with a Big Green Bird.
    The Iron will never Lie to you.
    “Whatever doesn’t kill me… had better start running”
    Willpower is a muscle, and as such, it must be exercised. Heavily and Often.

Continually paying my Dues in the Iron-Sanctuary.com