Sammoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Supplements Newbie in Search of Advice

Hi guys,

Newbie here. I'm around 155 pounds, 5'10 and am just starting workout. I am in great shape, but do not have much muscle. I have set myself the goal of putting on as much muscle mass as possible by Jan 1 2010, which gives me just under half a year. I want to do this because back when I did skiff sailing competitively I had great strength but it didn't show. I really would enjoy that strength back, as well as a better body for my running, hockey and self-esteem. Some of my close mates are ****ing huge, however that looks a bit too much for me, I want to have more of a lean muscly look such as Brad Pitt in Fight Club (I know, chliche example, but it's probably the easiest to convey).

I have purchased and read cover to cover Starting Strength and I plan to follow Rippetoe's regimen for building muscle mass. I have been eating for the past 2 weeks roughly 4000-5000 calories and have been learning proper technique without stacking too much weight, as well as doing a lot of core work and cardio.

I aim to start next Monday on the proper regimen, and I would really like to use one or two suppliments to jump-start my workouts. I wouldn't plan to use them for the first weeks while I'm still stacking weights, however once my body has recovered from the initial shock of the tri-weekly workouts and I'm using weights closer to my limit I'd like to use a suppliment to speed it up.

I have been suggested by one of my mates that I use Gaspari SizeOn. He ****ing loves it, raves about it. I also was looking at some kind of protein suppliment to drink with meals, especially for post-workouts.

So I was thinking Gaspari SizeOn and Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. I was looking at other NO-based suppliments like NO-Xtreme and White Flood however I don't think I will get much use out of them until I have quite a bit more muscle mass on me.

I was wondering if anyone has been in, or has helped people in my situation, and could chime in with their thoughts? All these threads, topics, reviews on these billion different suppliments has taken a few hours swallow and I end up just finding way too much information to digest.

I was also thinking of a multivitamin but wasn't sure, I have been taking good quality fish oils and standard pharmacy multivitamin tablets, as well as zinc and innerhealth plus (probiotic) with my food for almost a year now and feel healthy, along with good brown rice/pasta, meats, fruit, veggies, and plenty of food in general, should I really be looking into a different multivitamin, or some other kind of suppliment?

Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would tend to start with just the protein and vitamins, then add in some creatine shortly.

You could also look at just a pure creatine product.

pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) pu12en12g has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Calories seem high for a "fight club" physique but otherwise it sounds like you're somewhat on the right track.
    Free agent
    Research and Development Consultant
    11+ Years Experience

Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Murr1525 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I noticed that too, but I havent read the book, so dont know if that is in there or not.

Sammoo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Haha, I suppose you're right, but one of my friends said with my build I should be trying to stack on as much weight as I can for the next few weeks through high calorie intake, though chiefly with good food. He said it's probably easier to bulk up, then tone down/maintain.

I will stick with the multivitamin, zinc, fish oil, probiotics and buy some whey then, and look at purchasing creatine down the line. I think I'll ask a store for a tester first.

TaticalFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaticalFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaticalFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaticalFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TaticalFighting has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well it seems that your on the right track. I would reco a multi first, my stable is Animal Pak for my multi. what is your macro for (Protein/Carbs/Fats) in your daily diet. for what your doing you want to put on size, but not bulk, lean mass. Again, though somebody raves about something, does not mean it will work for you like it did them, its all trial and error. and I have to agree 4-5000 kcals is alot for a "fight club phys" but again I'm not sure how many cals your are burning off with your RMR or your workouts. If your at a gym that offers a RMR test (Resting Metabolic Rate) i would advise to get that, and that can be a stable for your diet. Diet is key to any type of sport or just getting in shape. in regards to what you have said "put as much muscle on as possible by the end of the year" thats not really a goal. set a weight that you want to achive, max outs you want to acheive, etc.

So I would suggest at this point that you look into a Multi vitamin, Protein capper and possibly a Creatine supplement at this point. but I do not recomend you doing this until you get your diet straight and or post it up for us on here.

I use for the above mentioned:
    Universal Nutrition Animal Pak
    Elite Gourmet Protein
    Axis Labs CEE (not the best but it was free)
    The Measure of a Man is not how much weight he can push.. It's how long he can push it for!