Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    toccster12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking Steel Cut Oats Vs Plain Quick Quaker Oats?

Hey Everyone - Ive Heard A Lot About Steel Cut Oats Lately, And That It Is Better For You Then Oatmeal? Is This True? And If This Is The Case, Should Women Be Aware Of This? I'm Looking To Lose Fat And Gain Some Muscle , If Anyone Knows Anything About The Difference Between The Two & If I Should Eat Steel Cut Oats Instead Of Quick Plain Oatmeal, Let Me Know! ALSO- EVERY MORNING I HAVE 1/2 CUP OF FIBER ONE WITH 1/2 CUP OF OATMEAL AND A CUP OF FAT FREE MILK, SOMETIMES ILL MIX A BANANA IN? IS THAT A GOOD BREAKFAST FOR FAT LOSS?
    Thanks!

Goal: Build More Muscle! Luvdogs's Avatar
    Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Luvdogs is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The main difference between the two is the amount of processing. Steel cut oats become rolled oats that become quick oats. Personally I like regular Quaker oats. Instant is too mushy. Steel cut are nice for a change up once in a while too. Steel cut take longer to cook, but they have a nice texture.

I'd add some source of protein to that breakfast: eggs, egg whites or I mix 30 grams protein powder into my oats after they are cooked. Eating clean, well balanced meals under caloric maintenance will produce fat loss along with training and cardio.

I don't think a person's gender has anything to do with oat consumption. They are good for everyone!
    Julia

Dreaming my life away.... emmie's Avatar
    emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Be aware that steel cut oats are calorically denser than rolled oats. 1/2 cup (dry) of rolled oats contains 150cals. 1/4 cup (dry) of steel cut contains 150.
    Please call me Emma....

totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50) totalrookie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think that's only because steel oats are finer cut - therefore smaller so 1/4cup=1/2cup - only a thought/observation.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Be aware that steel cut oats are calorically denser than rolled oats. 1/2 cup (dry) of rolled oats contains 150cals. 1/4 cup (dry) of steel cut contains 150.
    Steel cut oats are more calorie-dense, but you have to remember they are also more nutrient-dense on the whole. In addition, the more processed your oats are, the higher the GI rating is as well. In other words, steel cut oats are more of a slow-burning carb than quick oats.

So, definitely take into account the additional calories you would consume if eating equal amounts of steel cut oats to more processed oats, but realize the benefits that come with those extra calories as well.

Most people I know purchase old-fashioned oats as a happy-medium for cost vs. nutrition.

Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Amanda76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Oh...and as for your breakfast, I'd eat just one form of carb and add a protein as suggested. Eating eggs/egg whites scrambled with veggies would be a great addition to your oats.

Maybe move your fiber one to a later meal if it's something you enjoy, but again, pair it with something high in protein.

nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nockowt1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When I'm in the mood to cook I eat steel cut oats. If I want something fast I eat oat bran. No matter which one I eat I add fresh berries. I also eat either egg whites or tuna as a protein source.

Registered User misstransformer's Avatar
    misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by toccster12 View Post
    Hey Everyone - Ive Heard A Lot About Steel Cut Oats Lately, And That It Is Better For You Then Oatmeal? Is This True? And If This Is The Case, Should Women Be Aware Of This? I'm Looking To Lose Fat And Gain Some Muscle , If Anyone Knows Anything About The Difference Between The Two & If I Should Eat Steel Cut Oats Instead Of Quick Plain Oatmeal, Let Me Know! ALSO- EVERY MORNING I HAVE 1/2 CUP OF FIBER ONE WITH 1/2 CUP OF OATMEAL AND A CUP OF FAT FREE MILK, SOMETIMES ILL MIX A BANANA IN? IS THAT A GOOD BREAKFAST FOR FAT LOSS?
    Thanks!
    Steel cut oatmeal is the best. It has a hearty texture, and leaves me feeling very satisfied until my next meal. Do yourself a favor, and throw out the processed oats. You'll be much happier with the results.

Corporate Thug/Bully Sable_Strenua's Avatar
    Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000) Sable_Strenua is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm a huge fan of rolled oats & steel cut oats :-]
    Quick cooking oats have been overly refined - and (to me) it not only shows in the nutrients but also in the taste/consistancy (ick)!
    The member formally known as LadyMystique80
    A∑∑ - The Squat Booty Sorority!
    MISC Fire Team 2

Bring on the DOMS!! Mrs_Muscles's Avatar
    Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mrs_Muscles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Question

I'd love to give the steel cut oats a try, but I can't find them in the store to save my life! I've tried 3 local grocery stores and it's nothing but the regular stuff. We have a couple health food stores but they are small and pricey... is that where I need to try now?

LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I either eat regular Quaker oats and toss in a teaspoon of flaxseed and some soy milk, or go with Elite Oats N' More. I feel fuller longer with Elite also packed with 34 grams of protein.
    Never tried Steel Cuts.

Finding my Potential empresscat's Avatar
    empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mrs_Muscles View Post
    I'd love to give the steel cut oats a try, but I can't find them in the store to save my life! I've tried 3 local grocery stores and it's nothing but the regular stuff. We have a couple health food stores but they are small and pricey... is that where I need to try now?

Sometimes you find them as "Irish Oats"

doluseb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doluseb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doluseb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doluseb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doluseb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LadyLike View Post
    I either eat regular Quaker oats and toss in a teaspoon of flaxseed and some soy milk, or go with Elite Oats N' More. I feel fuller longer with Elite also packed with 34 grams of protein.
    Never tried Steel Cuts.
    How do you like those Dymatize oats? I tried Muscle Milk 'n Oats and I hated it.

LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50) LadyLike will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by doluseb View Post
    How do you like those Dymatize oats? I tried Muscle Milk 'n Oats and I hated it.
    I really like the Granola Crunch and Apple Cinnimon flavours. Never tried the Muscle Milk n' Oats one, didn't even know Muscle Milk dealt with oats, haha.

misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000) misstransformer is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi Mrs_Muscles, two of my favorites are McCann's Irish Oatmeal, and Bob's Red Mill Oatmeal. McCann's is my favorite...and it comes in a tin can. Most store managers would be happy to order it as a regular item upon request.

http://www.mccanns.ie
    http://www.bobsredmill.com

Just bumping this thread for people who might need oatmeal suggestions.

Don't take anyone's **** littleblkninja's Avatar
    littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) littleblkninja is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The health food store I frequent sells all types of organic oats in bulk bins at prices way below the prepackaged stuff. Bring your own container because those flimsy bags the store provides are an accident waiting to happen.

Originally Posted by littleblkninja View Post
    The health food store I frequent sells all types of organic oats in bulk bins at prices way below the prepackaged stuff. Bring your own container because those flimsy bags the store provides are an accident waiting to happen.
    I've only seen these bins at Whole Foods. I don't shop there too often because they're pretty pricey, but I pick up a bag to see what they taste like.

robotramp has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up robotramp

Originally Posted by empresscat View Post
    grocery stores may carry steel-cut oatmeal under the name of McCann's Irish Oatmeal. The Quaker company also makes steel-cut oats but McCanns has been in business over 100 years. Good luck!

Look in stores for McCann's Irish steel-cut Oatmeal.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by empresscat View Post
    Look for McCann's Irish steel-cut Oatmeal at Giant Foods, Wal-mart, K-mart and other big name chains. McCann's Irish Oatmeal is my absolute favorite!

JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks!
    Loving this thread. It is super informative! And I agree with the other ladies when they say that your breakfast has too many carbs and not enough protein. You can make turkey burger patties and eat a patty with the oats (kind of like turkey sausage) Or do eggs. In the morning I do 1 egg, 3 whites cooked and put over oats and topped with salsa. I've even eaten chicken or fish in the mornings just for some variety. Or if you have a sweet craving, you can mix the oats with a scoop of your favorite protein powder. I put some sliced almonds or berries (depending on the flavor of protein) in for texture and add some truvia or honey for sweetness.
    Last edited by JenL87; 01-10-2011 at 01:03 PM.
    Tears get you sympathy, sweat gets you results.

Don't get stressed over results you didn't get from work you didn't do.

ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks!
    Is it just me? Or are the Steel Cut at least 4x more expensive as well?
    "Go big or go home"...

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This thread is 4 years old, so the OP is probably not around anymore to hear suggestions But talking about oatmeal is always good!

I eat steel cut oats every morning (I make a big batch once a week). I cook it with diced apples and apple pie spice. I add a scoop of protein powder and 1 tbsp natty PB and it keeps me full for hours! Its my favorite thing to eat, actually lol.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JenL87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    This thread is 4 years old, so the OP is probably not around anymore to hear suggestions But talking about oatmeal is always good!

I eat steel cut oats every morning (I make a big batch once a week). I cook it with diced apples and apple pie spice. I add a scoop of protein powder and 1 tbsp natty PB and it keeps me full for hours! Its my favorite thing to eat, actually lol.
    That sounds delicious! I need to try that!
    Tears get you sympathy, sweat gets you results.

Don't get stressed over results you didn't get from work you didn't do.

ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10) ktkoch is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post

Can you give us the play by play recipe?... and how does it hold up if you cook in advance? is it really thick, and you just re-wet with new moisture?
    "Go big or go home"...

ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ko300zx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ktkoch View Post
    Is it just me? Or are the Steel Cut at least 4x more expensive as well?
    Saw Oats on the main forums page, didn't realize I was jumping into the Female section to post in a 4 year old thread, but what the heck.

I can't remember what I pay exactly at the grocery store, but just a quick google products search, 24oz of Steel Cut are around 6.50, and 42oz of old fashioned oats are around the same. 17-40g servings in the SC, 30-40g servings in the old fashioned, so pretty close to double the price which sounds about right.

I like to put the steel cut variety in a coffee grinder, turn them into powder, and just throw them in shakes in the morning before I head out for work since I hate cooking in the morning. Convenient, and easy to drink. I do the same after work with a blender and regular oats since I have more time to clean up.

kckas has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I cook up my steel cut oats according to the Alton Brown Steel Cut Oatmeal recipe (I can't post the link since I'm so new here!)

I just don't add the sugar, butter, buttermilk or milk ( I sub water). Once it's cooked I store it in the refrigerator and I take 1/2 cup servings at a time. I get about 6 servings out of it.

So I'll scoop 1/2 a cup of the cooked oats in a bowl, add about 1/2 cup of soymilk and zap it in the microwave for 2-minutes. Then I add raisins, 30 grams of hemp seeds, and a couple tablespoons of chia seeds. It's my favorite meal of the day.

I buy my organic steel cut oats from a co-op so it's $0.89 a lb. for a 25 lb. bag. The health food store sells organic steel cut oats and rolled oats for $1.39 a lb.

pjagoe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Steel Cut Oats

Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Steel cut oats are the same oats as in "oatmeal" but just in their purest form, the only thing to know about that is a steel cut oat becomes a rolled out after it has been soaked in water then rolled out flat, some of the nutrition is lost in the soaking process, quick cook oatmeal is rolled oats which have been part cooked in water then dried so the cook more quickly out of the box when we want to make oatmeal at home, so steel cut oats will be more calorie dense as there has been no 1 or or 2 stage soaking / cooking in water which has washed out some of the nutrition, minerals, fibre etc...
    I just take steel cut oats and do the following:

1/3 cup of cut oats
    1 cup of cold water
    soak overnight
    in the morning heat them up in the water they soaked in simmer for about 8 mins while the coffee is making and hey presto there you have full nutrient oatmeal.
    ps: I avoid microwaves as they kill off the nutrients in the food so that there is less for your body to absorb, you get full but your body doesnt get the fuel it could use.

DanaTimko has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Steel Cut Oats

Here is my trick for steel cut oats. Take 1 cup steel cut oats and put in a rice cooker with 3 cups water. When it's done, just slice into 4 equal portions and store in the refrigerator. Viola! Fast and easy