kbo78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Back after a long absence

I am 30 years old. 5?10 150lbs. I am heading back to the gym after a 7 year absence. I have an appointment tomorrow nite at Golds with a personal trainer.

I am looking for a little advice/info.

I haven?t done any exercising at all in the time since then, with the exception of running 4 miles every couple days. I am an ectomorph with a fast metabolism ? although I do have a bit of a ?belly? from eating tons of junk food. I don?t know if I should keep up the running or cardio, or will it be counter productive to my wanting to put on size.

I have an extremely busy life with no a lot of spare time. I don?t have a ton of time to devote to counting calories etc. I am looking for some advice on a SIMPLE but effective regiment. I don?t mind being bored (less food variety, etc). I am also on a fixed income, so cheaper is generally better. I am looking to put on as much lean muscle as possible. I don?t care about becoming ?huge?. If I could be 10 or 15 pounds heavier with muscle, that is great.

It is possible to do this without Creatine, and all the tons of others supplements out there?

I know that I need to use heavier weights and low reps. Unfortunately I don?t have a ?spotter?. Are dumbbells easier for this? Or machines? I will work with the trainer on this, I just want to get some opininons .

As far as diet is concerned. It seems confusing and time consuming when you research any of this. Eat this many grams per body weight pound. This much of this or that. Nutrition labels etc. Is there an easy guide to eating. Such as ? a meal protein and ? carbs etc. I don?t just want a body builders diet. I would like a healthy balanced diet as well.

Should I keep track of my wo?s and diets. This too seems time consuming. How much time in between working the same muscle. Should It be more initially?

Are there any supplements that are a must? Those myoplex premade shakes were easy in the past after a workout. Is a multivitamin important? If I took some ZMA that my brother has and isn?t using(makes him puke) is that too much zinc?

Thanks a bunch in advance.

kbo78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, I went back to the gym last week, and started to work on my diet. Here is where I am.

I am 5,10 150 ? 10percent bodyfat. I am looking to put on lean muscle but want to remain lean and long. I have a bit of a ?gut? and skinny legs. My goal is to put on as much lean muscle as possible. I am not looking to become a bodybuilder ? just more healthy and bigger and stronger. It is very important to me to have a balanced physique. I also want good health in general, so I don?t just want a diet to make me bigger but not healthier.

The trainer was a young kid, and seemed ok. He got me going in the right direction I believe. I did buy a few more sessions with him just to make sure I have my form and such down. I never know where to grip (wide or narrow etc). I wanted a mass building program that I could do myself without a spotter. I am mostly on machines. I don?t know if dumbbells are better. I know they would work right and left equally as well as stabilizing muscles. I do worry that by using machines, that I won?t work on the other little muscles. I am also concerned about ?cheating? by using my right muscles to do some of the work of my left side. I also want to be as proportional as possible and work all the muscles.

I attempted to use fitday, but I don?t know how to tell how much the portions that I am eating are.

Here is the regiment that he put me on:

20 min cardio ? treadmill every day ? suggests 7.0 incline ? 3 mph. 10 min before and after workout to warm up and cool down. 20 minutes on off days to ?keep the blood flowing into the muscles.? I am concerned that this may burn too many calories. He also didn?t recommend stretching, but to do the cardio instead. It is Monday, and I worked out biceps on Friday. I can barely make my arms straight due to being sore. The pain is between my bicep and forearm ? the inside of my elbow. I know that I am just starting out, but I can?t help but feel that some stretching would maybe be beneficial.

It also seems that that much cardio would sabotage my gains.

2 minute rest b/w sets

Week 1 & 2 ? 2 sets ? 12,10 reps
    Week 3 ? 3 sets - 12, 10, 8 reps
    Week 4 ? 4 sets ? 12,10,8,6 reps

He also wants me to slightly increase the weight for each set after the 2 minute rest, and obviously week to week.

Day 1 ? Chest, Triceps

Vertical Chest Press
    Pec Fly
    Incline Press
    Cable Cross
    Pushdowns
    Skull Crushers
    Kickbacks

Day 2 ? Legs

Leg Press
    Calf Raise
    Squat
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Any Abs exercise 1
    Any Abs exercise 2

Day 3 ? off

Day 4 ? Back and Biceps

Lat Pulldown
    Seated Row
    Back extension
    Underhand Pulldown
    Preacher Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Crucifix curls

Day 5 ? Shoulders

Front Raise
    Shoulder Press
    Side Raise
    Reverse Fly
    Crunch
    Leg Lift

I know that I am just getting back into it, and that I could probably just pick up a weight and get bigger.

Are there any glaring flaws with this routine, aside from different people having different preferences? Should I be doing different exercises or working out more often? Am I neglecting anything?

I need things to be as cheap and easy as possible.

Just a few questions ?

- how often do I need to change my routine? Can I keep the same routine for a month or so, but just keep adding weight? How often should I add weight? Every week?

-how often and how should I go about working my abs? I don?t want big bulgy abs, as I have a sunken chest, just able to see them. How do u progress week to week? With weights, you add weight. Should I just keep the same routine for a while?

- Am I woking out enough? Does he have too much rest days in this routine?
    -there are no forearm exercises in the routine. He believes that they will get worked just with the other stuff that I am doing.
    -Should I do seated or standing calf raises? They don?t have a donkey machine.
    -In the past I would take about 75 percent of my max weight and use it for reps to squeeze out a low amount of reps. He is suggesting to do more reps. Start with 12 for the first set and go down in reps and up in weight for the following set(s) Is this the right way to put on size?

-I think that the eating is the hardest part. Eating that much, buying food, understanding nutrition etc. I can eat 4 meals a day, but it is hard to get above that ? financially, prep wise, etc. Could someone suggest or point me to a link that would help me with a cheap effective diet. I don?t mind being boring. I don?t know if eating the same thing every day and meal is sufficient to get me what I need. There is so much confusing information out there. What should my carb/protein ratio be? What types of carbs? How many calories do I need to eat daily to get bigger? What is the least amount? What types of calories. I don?t know how to treat junk food as a skinny bastard. I obviously want to try to get as many calories from clean food. The trainer said that I could even eat bacon with 3 eggs and 2 pieces of toast for breakfast every day(seems like an unhealthy breakfast to eat that every day. 3 eggs?) because of the high calorie count. It seems like I should steer from junk as much as possible, as I would like to be healthy and have a six pack ? not just be bigger and stronger with a belly. Is it better to eat junk food also to have a higher calorie count? Or to eat cleaner but less calories? Can you get big without a high calorie intake? I could also supplement with 2 protein shakes a day. I don?t know if you have too much protein which would turn to fat. I take the 42 grams myoplex ready to drink shakes.

-I have ZMA and multi vitamins. If I take both, is that too much zinc? I don?t mind peeing it out, but don?t want to have a health problem.

I realize that this is a long post. Thanks in advance!