Thread: HST Critique

spoden has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HST Critique

This is my first HST cycle and I would like some input on whether this is a good choice and number of exercises. I'll be following a [15s - 1 set/10s - 2 sets/5s - 3 sets] cycle.

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    DB Press
    DB Fly
    Weighted Chins (Neutral Grip)
    Bent DB Row
    Shrugs
    Shoulder Press
    DB Upright Row
    DB Curl
    DB Tricep Extension
    DB Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

I have a feeling there are too many exercises but I don't know which ones to drop, so any input would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Nick666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your routine is fine. You can alternate exercises to save time.. like upper/lower, push/pull with like 1min between set. that's what I do it saves a lot of time.

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by spoden View Post
    This is my first HST cycle and I would like some input on whether this is a good choice and number of exercises. I'll be following a [15s - 1 set/10s - 2 sets/5s - 3 sets] cycle.

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    DB Press
    DB Fly
    Bent DB Row
    Shrugs
    Shoulder Press
    DB Upright Row
    DB Curl
    DB Tricep Extension
    DB Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

I have a feeling there are too many exercises but I don't know which ones to drop, so any input would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Since you are only performing 1-2 sets per exercise, the total volume is minimal, 21-22 sets without calves or abs. I work abs and calves on cardio days.

This is the HST system I have used;
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    DB Press
    DB Fly
    Bent DB Row
    Shrugs
    Shoulder Press
    DB Upright Row
    DB Curl
    DB Tricep Extension
    DB Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

You might consider dropping isolation moves like DB Fly, DB Tri extension. HST is better suited for compound exercises.

RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuLe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Fifty+ View Post
    Since you are only performing 1-2 sets per exercise, the total volume is minimal, 21-22 sets without calves or abs. I work abs and calves on cardio days.

This is the HST system I have used;
    http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html
    Good stuff man. ^

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    DB Press
    DB Fly
    Bent DB Row
    Shrugs
    Shoulder Press
    DB Upright Row
    DB Curl
    DB Tricep Extension
    DB Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

I've bolded the least important exercises for general hypertrophy. Of the ones remaining, the upright row is also somewhat expendible, because it's a 3rd set of biceps, while there's only 2 sets of triceps. And I'd go for bent-legged deadlifts instead of straight-legged, to increase gluteal activation. I'd also consider changing the order a little. If you swap the chest press and chins around, your flexion and extension muscles will have more rest between exercises.

That said, during the first couple weeks, where you're only doing 1 set per exercise, you could probably keep all the exercises in the program. You may be able to keep most or all of them when you're doing 2 sets, depending on time constraints. When you're doing 3 sets, you would most likely have to cut a fair amount out. As I think someone else has already said, you could do the other exercises on another day.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Originally Posted by rdferguson View Post
    I've bolded the least important exercises for general hypertrophy. Of the ones remaining, the upright row is also somewhat expendible, because it's a 3rd set of biceps, while there's only 2 sets of triceps. And I'd go for bent-legged deadlifts instead of straight-legged, to increase gluteal activation. I'd also consider changing the order a little. If you swap the chest press and chins around, your flexion and extension muscles will have more rest between exercises.

That said, during the first couple weeks, where you're only doing 1 set per exercise, you could probably keep all the exercises in the program. You may be able to keep most or all of them when you're doing 2 sets, depending on time constraints. When you're doing 3 sets, you would most likely have to cut a fair amount out. As I think someone else has already said, you could do the other exercises on another day.
    Hmm, that makes sense considering that HST works best with compound exercises. I'm a newbie to all of this so many you could help me in designing a routine.

To choose my exercise I basically just chose from a list on an article about HST for Dummies on BB.com and from a suggested exercise list on the HST main site.

I didn't know whether to add in abs and traps or not because on the main HST site it has them listed, but then on the For Dummies guide it does not.

I basically am looking for a full body hypertrophy workout with some extra focus on pecs and arms.

I'm new to all of this so I'm not too sure how the routine should look some places recommend 8 exercise, some have up to 16. Not sure what the optimal approximate number of exercises are. Also I understand that isolation exercise are not as useful, but is having one or two for extra focus on an area detrimental in any way?

If you could give any input on what exercises you would choose for a routine instead, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hmm, I guess, what would an optimum HST routine be that also has some focus on pecs and biceps? Can't decide which exercises to pick as there seems to be quite a plethora of different ones that people use. Sorry for all my questions, I'm having some mental overload going on.
    Last edited by spoden; 07-01-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Updated exercises, thoughts? Btw, don't know the optimal order to put them in, just haphazardly threw them in.

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Incline Bench
    Weighted Dips
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row
    Lateral Raise (Rear)
    Standing Military Press
    DB Curl
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Standing Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

I understand that there is still a few isolated exercises in there, but most are which are suggested on the HST main site.

Also, I've seen some conflicting evidence as to whether HST is viable for someone new to weightlifting. Some say yes but it may be too confusing for a beginner - I understand the concepts of it pretty well, just not which exercises exactly to choose (as shown above). Others say no and to go with a basic split for a beginner because HST is not needed yet.

Well my goal is for hypertrophy, not much else. Whatever comes along with it, comes. Is it okay for me to start weightlifting with HST as long as I have a good grasp of it's core concepts?
    Last edited by spoden; 07-02-2009 at 02:15 PM.

NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10) NDiNardo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Updated exercises, thoughts? Btw, don't know the optimal order to put them in, just haphazardly threw them in.

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Incline Bench
    Weighted Dips
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row
    Lateral Raise (Rear)
    Shoulder Press
    DB Curl
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Straight Leg Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

I understand that there is still a few isolated exercises in there, but most are which are suggested on the HST main site.

Also, I've seen some conflicting evidence as to whether HST is viable for someone new to weightlifting. Some say yes but it may be too confusing for a beginner - I understand the concepts of it pretty well, just not which exercises exactly to choose (as shown above). Others say no and to go with a basic split for a beginner because HST is not needed yet.

Well my goal is for hypertrophy, not much else. Whatever comes along with it, comes. Is it okay for me to start weightlifting with HST as long as I have a good grasp of it's core concepts?

I think it's good that you as a beginner will be following a plan rather than winging it and wasting your time. HST principles are sound. Good luck!

Hmm, okay will do. =] I think my last question on this though is that are these too many exercises to be doing?

Some places say keep it close to 8 for a good number but then as I look over the forums I see with people in the 12-14 range as well.

Am I doing too many?

Gonna givr hell on July26 NaturalproMJG's Avatar
    NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    DB Press
    DB Fly
    Bent DB Row
    Shrugs
    Shoulder Press
    DB Upright Row
    DB Curl
    DB Tricep Extension
    DB Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

Drop the shoulder press and the shrugs. Add laterals along with the uprights and that should be enough with the pressing you do earlier in the workout.

I personally start with

DAY 1
    Leg Press
    Jeffersons
    Incline DB
    Close Grip pulldowns
    Dips
    Rows
    Upright rows
    BB Curl
    Tricep PD
    Ab crunches (start at 2 sets of 20 and add 5 reps each workout)
    Standing calf raise

Day 2
    Squat
    Leg curl
    Flat DB
    Wide grip PD
    Dips
    T-Bar
    Laterals
    Preacher
    Overhead tri ext.
    Ab Crunches (same as Day1)
    Leg Press Calf raise
    Personal Trainer and contest prep coach
    Natural Bodybuilder {}-----{}
    www.martyswaypersonaltraining.com
    Instagram : marty_gabriele
    Pinterest : Marty's Way Personal Training

I feel I could cut my exercises down to 8 to make it look like this: (which is also almost exactly like the one in the ForDummies guide)

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Incline Bench
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row
    Standing Military Press
    DB Curl
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Standing Calf Raise

But them am I leaving out too many important exercises like the chins, dips, and lateral raise?
    Last edited by spoden; 07-02-2009 at 02:15 PM.

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I feel I could cut my exercises down to 8 to make it look like this: (which is also almost exactly like the one in the ForDummies guide)

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Incline Bench
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row
    Standing Military Press
    DB Curl
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Straight Leg Calf Raise

But them am I leaving out too many important exercises like the chins, dips, and lateral raise?

You should be hitting the HST routines 3 times a week. That leaves 4 days to hit calves and abs. There is no reason on the HST program that you should be hitting the exact same exercises every workout. There are many variations of squats, deads, presses and rows. Use them all.

BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrazZzuKa is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Incline Bench
    Weighted Dips
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row
    Lateral Raise (Rear)
    Standing Military Press
    DB Curl
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Straight Leg Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

Here's what you could do for your HST Program:

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Incline Bench
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row (Pendlay BB Rows are also good for rear delts)
    Standing Military Press
    DB Curl
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Straight Leg Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

Always starts with the biggest group of muscles first, such as

1 - Legs
    2 - Back
    3 - Pecks
    4 - Arms

As per the HST principles, keep it simple and don't need to add to much exercises.

Originally Posted by BrazZzuKa View Post
    Here's what you could do for your HST Program:

Squat
    Stiff Legged Deadlift
    Incline Bench
    Wide Grip Bent Over Row (Pendlay BB Rows are also good for rear delts)
    Standing Military Press
    DB Curl
    Lying Tricep Extension
    Straight Leg Calf Raise
    Weighted Crunches

Always starts with the biggest group of muscles first, such as

1 - Legs
    2 - Back
    3 - Pecks
    4 - Arms

As per the HST principles, keep it simple and don't need to add to much exercises.

Exactly who's HST principles are you referring to? There are at least 3-4 variations of HST being passed around this forum alone. The HST schedule I have followed hits chest after legs, giving your back a little break before working it.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_II.html