Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Pass The Refridgerator kudostojen's Avatar
    kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)

Will the keto diet work for me??

ok. i had my first day on the keto diet and i over did it on the protein. I didn't mean to but i had another shake before i added everything up. oops.

Some advise on what i'm doing. Other than the blueberries. I know.

Monday, June 22
    Using CKD and this http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark91.htm
    I'm still in the process of reading Lyle's books.
    I will eat 5-7 meals/snacks throughout the day.

Cheese
    242 Cals
    18.6 Fat
    3.3 Carbs
    15.4 Protein

Salmon, cooked
    417 Cals
    12.9 Fat
    0.0 Carbs
    70.3 Protein

Pepperoni
    480 Cals
    44.0 Fat
    3.0 Carbs
    24.0 Protein

Six Star Protie
    150 Cals
    1.5 Fat
    9.0 Carbs
    23.0 Protein

EAS Protien Whey
    120 Cals
    2.0 Fat
    3.0 Carbs
    23.0 Protein

Blueberries, raw
    16 Cals
    0.1 Fat
    3.9 Carbs
    0.2 Protein

Broccoli, raw
    30 Cals
    0.3 Fat
    5.8 Carbs
    2.5 Protein

Pepperoni (Cut)
    280 Cals
    20.0 Fat
    4.0 Carbs
    18.0 Protein

Total
    1,734 Cals

99.4 Fat

32.0 Carbs

176.4 Protein

Fat 51%
    Protein 42%
    Carbs 7%

Weight Tuesday morning. 145.5lb
    BF% 26
    Last edited by kudostojen; 06-23-2009 at 06:08 AM.

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

If You Can't Stand Behind Our Troops, Feel Free To Stand in Front of Them ..

kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000) kudostojen is just really nice. (+1000)
    A quick FYI. I can't eat eggs. I can have food with egg product in it, but i can't eat an actual egg. It's extremely painful for me if i do. This started when i was 19. I've tried many times to eat eggs by themselves and paid for it many times.

So there will be no egg in my diet except in certain recipes.

"If we wait for the moment when everything, absolutely everything is ready, we shall never begin."
    Ivan Turgenev

queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For starters just know that for every gram of carb you eat your body can store 5 grams of water. So losing 10 pounds when just starting the keto may get you there quicker than you think. You may want to increase your goal. When people cut their carbs they can lose from 5 to 15 pounds because of the amount of water loss with the lack of carbs.

I posted the quote from McDonalds about the effect of Keto on women in my log, take a look.

Originally Posted by queloque View Post
    For starters just know that for every gram of carb you eat your body can store 5 grams of water. So losing 10 pounds when just starting the keto may get you there quicker than you think. You may want to increase your goal. When people cut their carbs they can lose from 5 to 15 pounds because of the amount of water loss with the lack of carbs.

I posted the quote from McDonalds about the effect of Keto on women in my log, take a look.
    Ok, I will shoot for 15lbs. I believe i'm probably only carrying 5lbs of water. Just because i've lost the water before while on my other meal plan.

I read it already. It made me rethink a few things, but if i remember correctly, the issue with women were with the ones who didn't weight train or keep their workout intensity high.

Your log has a lot of useful information. I may copy you and do the same. If i read something i feel is important in Lyle's book, i will post it.

My headache today is getting worse. I'm a little confrontational too. Already had it out with a co-worker. But he deserved it. He called ma liar. I AM NOT A LIAR!!!

Ivan Turgenev

queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50) queloque will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking

Originally Posted by kudostojen View Post
    My headache today is getting worse. I'm a little confrontational too. Already had it out with a co-worker. But he deserved it. He called ma liar. I AM NOT A LIAR!!!
    I'll keep that in mind.

today was a good day, other than the headache which went away after i started training at the gym. Which brings me to my problem. I think i overtrained A LOT!!!

I was going over the depletion math and i went over board. I'm just use to training hard and doing a lot of reps.

here's some math to mess with.

Table 2: Amount of glycogen depleted for sets of differing lengths

30 /10 Length of set (seconds) /Glycogen depleted (mmol/kg)
    40 /14 Length of set (seconds) /Glycogen depleted (mmol/kg)
    50 /17 Length of set (seconds) /Glycogen depleted (mmol/kg)
    60 /21 Length of set (seconds) /Glycogen depleted (mmol/kg)
    70 /24 Length of set (seconds) /Glycogen depleted (mmol/kg)
    80 /28 Length of set (seconds) /Glycogen depleted (mmol/kg)
    90 /31 Length of set (seconds) /Glycogen depleted (mmol/kg)

To see how much weight training is necessary to achieve the above goals, let us look at a
    lifter who has just completed a carb-loading phase of 36 hours, achieving 150 mmol/kg of glycogen in all major muscle groups. In the first 2 workouts, this individual needs to lower glycogen to approximately 70 mmol/kg to maximize fat burning.
    Therefore, this person needs to deplete:

150 mmol/kg - 70 mmol/kg = 80 mmol/kg of total glycogen.
    Using the rate of glycogen depletion listed in chapter 10, we see that
    80 mmol/kg divided by 1.3 mmol/kg/rep = 61 total reps.
    or
    80 mmol/kg divided by 0.35 mmol/kg/sec = 228 seconds of total set time.
    Assuming an average set time of 45 seconds (10-12 reps at 4 seconds per repetition) this
    level of glycogen depletion would require approximately 5-6 sets per bodypart. This total amount of work can be divided up a number of ways. Simply performing 6 sets of 10 repetitions would be sufficient and a lifter might perform:

Squats: 4 sets of 10 reps (4 seconds per rep = 40 seconds per set)
    Leg extension: 2 sets of 10 reps (4 seconds per rep = 40 seconds per set)

There are numerous other workout schemes to achieve the general goal of reducing
    glycogen levels and individuals are encouraged to experiment with their training. Regardless of what specific type of training is done, the important fact to remember is that the proper amount of total set time must be performed. Please note that the value of 15 mmol/kg/set was established at an intensity of 70% of 1 repetition maximum (the amount of weight which can be
    lifted only one time). There is unfortunately no way to know what the rate of glycogen depletion is at 50% or 90% of 1 rep maximum.

Someone starting at a lower or higher glycogen level would need less or more sets
    respectively. Table 1 shows the approximate amount of sets which would be necessary based on the approximate glycogen levels which would be reached for a given length of carbohydrate loading.

Lyle McDonald - The Ketogenic Diet

I worked my quads for 1149sec which is about 700sec too high. My glutes weren't quite as long but long enough.
    Worked abs a long time too. sigh...live and learn i suppose.

Ivan Turgenev

Day 2 Food

It was good. I never felt hungry.

EAS Protien Whey

Hamburger patty

Six Star Protien

Pepperoni stix

Cheese

Turkey Burger

Broccoli, raw

Total

1,852 Cals

123.4 Fat

25.1 Carbs

151.2 Protein

Fat 61%
    Carbs 6%
    Protein 33%

Lots of calories in those hamburger patties.
    It looks better today though.

Ivan Turgenev

Just listen to your body. You will actually know when your body is depleted. I remember I was getting headaches, light headed and a little sick to my stomach. Or when I walk up a flight of stairs it is a lot harder during the end of the week vs the beginning.

Also the book says it is better to work the legs after a carb up since you will have the most energy early in the week. Leg exercises uses a lot of energy as you might know. I know most people like to do chests on Mondays.

I made my egg pizza again with almond meal. It was so good.

Tested my keto and i'm back into ketosis and its only Tuesday even after a big carb up.

I'll keep that in mind.
    haha...i work on a construction site and this guy is always defensive when i point out issues and i wasn't in the mood for it today. So, i called him on it and he called me a liar...and the cursing and yelling started.

Edit:

9:30pm

Headache is coming back. it's not too painful but definitely an annoyance.
    Last edited by kudostojen; 06-23-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Ivan Turgenev

Just listen to your body. You will actually know when your body is depleted. I remember I was getting headaches, light headed and a little sick to my stomach. Or when I walk up a flight of stairs it is a lot harder during the end of the week vs the beginning.

Also the book says it is better to work the legs after a carb up since you will have the most energy early in the week. Leg exercises uses a lot of energy as you might know. I know most people like to do chests on Mondays.

I made my egg pizza again with almond meal. It was so good.

Tested my keto and i'm back into ketosis and its only Tuesday even after a big carb up.
    Thanks for the input. I feel a little better about leg day. I have always worked extremely hard on leg day and i even brought down the intensity for this diet.

I still haven't tried the pizza yet. I have no time...sigh

Back in keto already? Nice! I can't wait to see what my results will be.

I still have to buy the stix. Going to try tomorrow.

Ivan Turgenev

Day 3

I got up this morning feeling really good and a little smaller. I'm getting rid of all the water.

I was a little worried about how my system would handle all this fat but it seems to be ok. I'm taking omega 3-6-9 throughout the day and i suspect that is helping.

I stepped on the scale this morning. I know, i should have waited but i wanted to see what it would say. I've gone down 1.8lbs already in 24hrs. Water or not, i'm happy.

Ivan Turgenev

Dry Mouth

Ok, i started noticing the bad taste in my mouth last night. It's much worse today. It's dry, yet pasty and just kind of yukky. My understanding is, it's a clear sign i'm in ketosis.

I've had to drink more water because of it, which is good because i usually have to force myself to drink water.

Ivan Turgenev

SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10) SiZcO18 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ok, i started noticing the bad taste in my mouth last night. It's much worse today. It's dry, yet pasty and just kind of yukky. My understanding is, it's a clear sign i'm in ketosis.

I've had to drink more water because of it, which is good because i usually have to force myself to drink water.
    are you peeing more then normal along with that dry mouth? if so def ketosis

thats atleast the signs i have gotten today.
    Starting Weight 251 pounds..

March 22nd 2009--- 251 Pounds
    April 22nd 2009--- 243 Pounds
    May 22nd 2009--- 238 Pounds
    June 22nd 2009--- 235 Pounds

-------------------------------------------------

It's a NEW YEAR! Lets do This.

1/1/2010 --- 232 Pounds
    1/8/2010 --- 228 Pounds
    1/15/2010 -- 228 Pounds

Definitely hitting the washroom a lot.

I picked up some ketostix and they read a negative on ketones. I was hoping for a positive reading, but i've read that those aren't always reliable. Sigh...i don't know. It's my first week. lol

Ivan Turgenev

Definitely hitting the washroom a lot.

I picked up some ketostix and they read a negative on ketones. I was hoping for a positive reading, but i've read that those aren't always reliable. Sigh...i don't know. It's my first week. lol
    I would suggest testing for ketones late in the evening. Readings are lower in the morning and higher late at night due to hormone levels. Plus it also depends on how much water you drink that can dilute your reading.

A lot of pissing is a good sign though.

Excellent. I suspect i won't be hitting the bathroom as often by the end of the week?
    I will test again before bed.

I hit the gym today and i went to do my usual warm up on the bike for 5 min and it was a no go. I couldn't believe how tired my legs felt after 10sec. I was shocked. I used the same setting i've been using for 6 months. I went and warmed up using weights instead.

It was a good workout (upper body). I pushed it like i usually do just for a shorter amount of time.
    No cardio today. I work on a construction site and some days i get a lot of exercise and some days i don't. Today i did! I lost count of how many times i went up the 6 flights of stairs in the building we're constructing. I wonder if that's why my legs were so weak during warm up.

I had a major sweet tooth today so i made some whip cream and put in some Splenda. It was soooooo goooood. The cravings for sweets was gone.

I'm making some "no sugar added" jello for dessert tomorrow with some whip cream as a nice treat for me and my daughter. Mmmmm.

Today:

-Fat 59%
    -Carbs 7%
    -Protein 34%

Calories 1773
    Protein 150g
    Net Carbs 31.9g (9g from pwo shake) I'm really trying hard to keep the carbs under 30g. I would like to get that number a little lower.

Food today was...

turkey burger
    salmon
    hamburger
    cheese
    whip cream yum, yum
    pepperoni
    broccoli
    2 protein shakes.

Ivan Turgenev

Have you made the ice cream yet with whipped cream - in the small milk carton (not whip cream ), protein powder and splenda. Not bad!!!

Sounds like your legs are depleted or almost depleted of glycogen but your upper body may need some more work. Friday you should be dragging. I remember when my legs did not have the energy to walk me up the stairs. You are on your way.

I would say if you can get into ketosis this week do your carb up this weekend. If not you might have to tough it out another week until your body gets used to using fat as energy.

I think from what I read it suggested 2 weeks before your first carb up. But it is your call. Health comes first.

Have you made the ice cream yet with whipped cream - in the small milk carton (not whip cream ), protein powder and splenda. Not bad!!!

Sounds like your legs are depleted or almost depleted of glycogen but your upper body may need some more work. Friday you should be dragging. I remember when my legs did not have the energy to walk me up the stairs. You are on your way.

I would say if you can get into ketosis this week do your carb up this weekend. If not you might have to tough it out another week until your body gets used to using fat as energy.

I think from what I read it suggested 2 weeks before your first carb up. But it is your call. Health comes first.
    ok, i just checked my ketostix and it was a little pink (more pink than it was earlier). When comparing it to the colors on the bottle, it showed "trace amounts" of ketones. I'm hoping it will be a brighter pink tomorrow.

I will probably do the carb up this weekend but i will keep it to Friday night and Saturday and go back on Sunday. Mostly because i think i would cheat sometime next week if i didn't carb up.

I haven't tried the cream and protein powder yet, but i have heard of it. It's called SLUDGE right? lol
    Last edited by kudostojen; 06-24-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Ivan Turgenev

A couple things i need to add to my diet log.

I also take:

Multi-vitamin
    Omega 3-6-9
    B-complex
    Vitamin D
    Liquid Calcium
    Chromium

In stock at home but not using:

Creatine - pwo after depletion workout
    Glutamine - pwo after depletion workout
    Nitric Oxide
    Optimum BCAA
    Scortch (fat burner)

Ivan Turgenev

ok, i just checked my ketostix and it was a little pink (more pink than it was earlier). When comparing it to the colors on the bottle, it showed "trace amounts" of ketones. I'm hoping it will be a brighter pink tomorrow.

I will probably do the carb up this weekend but i will keep it to Friday night and Saturday and go back on Sunday. Mostly because i think i would cheat sometime next week if i didn't carb up.

I haven't tried the cream and protein powder yet, but i have heard of it. It's called SLUDGE right? lol
    The darkness of the sticks does not matter because water dilutes it often times. The goal is that you show traces which means you are producing ketones or your body is using them and so you are not pissing them out. Thats a good thing. When I don't drink a lot of fluids mine are much darker.

Good. I'm really glad it's working. I know i drank a little more water than usual yesterday because of the yukky taste in my mouth. I should mention that i drink a few cups of coffee (black) a day too. I love coffee.

Ivan Turgenev

AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the yucky taste and the dryness in your mouth means your in keto

Day 4

Well i have dry mouth again. yuk. I'm constantly licking my lips which is giving me chapped lips. I doesn't help that it's hot and dusty on site today. It just means i'm in keto, so it's all good.

I've been up and down the stairs A LOT again today. The more i climb them the harder it gets. It's great exercise though and i've been doing a lot of walking around the site too. I haven't decided if i'm going to the gym to do cardio yet. My daughter and i have been getting home at 7:30 or later every night this week and it would be nice to be home before 6pm at least one night this week. If i do cardio we won't get home till 7 or later again.

I know you guys won't want to read this but it's part of my body so i'm going to log it.

Aunt flow arrived today. I'm wondering if i'm holding onto any water because of it. I also wonder if maybe it wasn't the diet that made me a little confrontational on Tuesday and pms that did it. lol. Maybe little of both.
    I'm hoping to lose some more water now that "she's" arrived. The body can react very differently sometimes just before that time of the month and sometimes during.

So far i've only had 9g of carbs today. yay...I will add to that tonight when i make my keto friendly pizza.
    Last edited by kudostojen; 06-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Ivan Turgenev

My food for the day.

My fats are way too low. I did add some olive oil to my salmon and the pizza. I also take omega 3-6-9. I don't add those to my list. Not sure how to add those up. I just take it. lol

Total
    1,808 Cals
    85.4 Fats
    26.1 Carbs
    147.7 Protien

Salmon, cooked

Broccoli, raw

Pepperoni stix

Cheese

EAS Protien Whey

Pizza

Jello and Whip Cream

Fat - 52%
    Carbs - 7%
    Protein - 40%

Ivan Turgenev

AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10) AndrewCa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if your trying to cut with keto make sure you eat LMB worth of protein that's what most people will tell you here.. so i guess maybe 130g of protein should be good enough for you.

Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gettingthere69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by AndrewCa View Post
    if your trying to cut with keto make sure you eat LMB worth of protein that's what most people will tell you here.. so i guess maybe 130g of protein should be good enough for you.
    will it hinder you if you eat say 1 g per body weight? instead of LBM?

Originally Posted by Gettingthere69 View Post
    will it hinder you if you eat say 1 g per body weight? instead of LBM?
    Protein converts to glucose at 46% so yes, eating more than necessary is like adding carbs to your diet.

Carbs convert to glucose at 100% and Fats convert to glucose at 10%.

It's trial and error.

Regarding my protein. this is from Lyl's book.

How much protein per day?

The most critical time to ensure sufficient protein intake is during the first few weeks of a
    ketogenic diet, when the need for protein breakdown to provide glucose is at its highest. After the first few weeks of ketosis, protein requirements will go down as the body reduces its need for glucose.
    As established in chapter 5, the prevention of nitrogen losses requires a protein intake of
    at least 1.75 grams protein/kg LBM (0.8 grams/ lb of bodyweight) OR 150 grams of protein,
    whichever is higher.
    For lighter individuals, 1.75 g/kg of protein may be less than 150 grams, in which case
    protein should be adjusted upwards to avoid nitrogen losses. After the third week of ketosis, when the major protein sparing adaptations have taken place, protein intake can be adjusted downwards as necessary. Please note that this value was determined for individuals who are not exercising and are consuming minimal carbohydrates.
    If an individual is exercising, it is assumed that protein requirements are higher than the
    minimum of 1.75 grams/kg (~0.8 grams/lb). A protein intake of 0.9 grams of protein/lb of total bodyweight is an appropriate protein level to start at. Although this is slightly higher than the values suggested above, we can assume that extra protein is necessary during the initial phases of adaptation.
    If an individual is consuming even marginal amounts of carbohydrates (30 grams), then
    less protein is necessary to achieve a positive nitrogen balance. Recall from the previous chapter that 1 gram of protein will produce 0.58 grams of glucose. So 2 grams of protein will produce a little more than 1 gram of glucose. Therefore, for every gram of carbohydrate consumed on a ketogenic diet, protein requirements should go down by 2 grams. Someone consuming the maximum of 30 grams of carbohydrate per day could reduce protein intake by approximately 15 grams per day.

and more

Protein and ketosis

Although there are no hard and fast rules for how much protein can inhibit ketosis, some
    individuals have reported trouble maintaining ketosis if they consume too much protein per day, or even excessive amounts of protein at a given meal. To the contrary, some individuals have eaten 1.2 grams protein/lb or higher and had no problems establishing and maintaining ketosis.
    This may be related to the glycogen depletion caused by weight training. In a depleted
    state, incoming carbohydrate is used to refill muscle glycogen before it is used to refill liver
    glycogen. In essence, the depletion of muscle glycogen provides a ?sink? for excess glucose
    produced from dietary protein or carbohydrate intake.

Ivan Turgenev

I'm off by 12 grams with the glucose from protein. My memory must be going bad.

But yes the protein/glucose thing was an eye opener for me. The body knows how to get what it needs. There is always a backup resource. Even from fat.

but my protein should be lower. I find it harder to control the protein intake than the carb intake. Who'd a thought. lol

Ivan Turgenev