Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Adrenolin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Bignik92 View Post
    thats a cross country runner not a sprinter lol

Sprinting DOES build big leg muscles look at all the kids you know who are really fast they have huge legs and all the ones i know have never touched weights.

Also sports which give you massive legs ar rugby (you do alot of sprinting and tackling is all in your leg drive, running the ball in strong and holding up is all in the leg strength, tehn for forwards there is scrums where i play second row and that means your the power house of the scrum all in your legs push, rucks and mauls use legs) obviously football gives you strong legs but if you dont eat properly you wont get massive thats why most footballers are skinny
    you talking about american football or no?

Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000) Daffle is just really nice. (+1000)
    lol yeha i am a cross country runner and long distanceer xD
    thats why i was cut up lol

JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50) JZT will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A lot of retards in this thread.

Sprinting does build muscles, it's an explosive movement that lasts for a short amount of time (10-20 seconds). How long do your sets last? Probably around 15-30 seconds, the time under tension is similar.

Now, if you had to pick between squats and sprints to build your legs, the later would obviously be my choice, but saying that sprinting dosen't build muscles is the equivalent of saying that terrorists don't like planes. It does not make sense.

Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Infinitus Vox View Post
    you talking about american football or no?
    no mate, real football

TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JZT View Post
    A lot of retards in this thread.

Sprinting does build muscles, it's an explosive movement that lasts for a short amount of time (10-20 seconds). How long do your sets last? Probably around 15-30 seconds, the time under tension is similar.

Now, if you had to pick between squats and sprints to build your legs, the later would obviously be my choice, but saying that sprinting dosen't build muscles is the equivalent of saying that terrorists don't like planes. It does not make sense.
    Time under tension might be the same but the resistance is not and that's what matters the most when it comes to building muscle. From a bodybuilding perspective sprinting is useless.

And for the guys trying to use sprinters, rugby players and what not as an example to try to show sprinting does build muscle don't seem to realise that these athletes have mostly built their legs in the gym and not on the track or field.
    Last edited by TheOak; 06-21-2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Sig line can't be a novel

Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Bignik92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TheOak View Post
    Time under tension might be the same but the resistance is not and that's what matters the most when it comes to building muscle. From a bodybuilding perspective sprinting is useless.

And for the guys trying to use sprinters, rugby players and what not as an example to try to show sprinting does build muscle don't seem to realise that these athletes have built their legs in the gym and not on the track or field.
    now that actually was the stupid thing i heard in this thread.

Its only recently athletes started using weights and most still dont and they have huge legs from sports and biking
    Last edited by Bignik92; 06-21-2009 at 03:18 AM.

TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000) TheOak is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bignik92 View Post
    now that actually was the stupid thing i heard in this thread.

Its only recently athletes started using weights and most still dont and they have huge legs from sports and biking
    And what about my post is stupid?

Do you agree or disagree that resistance is more important for hypertrophy than time under tension? Bodyweight squats aren't going to build much muscle but squatting with a loaded barbell will.

All professional athletes spend time in the gym. How much time, depends on their sport. The one's that need explosive power spend the most and sprinters are right up there.
    Sig line can't be a novel

CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) CharH06 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    U cause muscles to grow through intense muscular contractions, sprinting is much more intense than walking, a sprinter would have bigger leg muscles than a person who just walks. Squatting is more intense than sprinting, a squater would have bigger leg muscle than a sprinter. It basically just depends on the intensity of the sport, but u still can gain decent leg muscle by sprinting.

workequalsFD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BredFromFire View Post
    no.

even while running with weighted clothing uphill, running is still practically a zero-resistance exercise, meaning your body will give out because of the cardio workout long before it will give out from the stress on your leg muscles which means there is no chance to build any serious strength from just running/sprinting.

it does however train fast-twitch muscles, some of which can relate to explosive forms of lifting, but generally running a lot won't effect your lower-body lifting stats.
    Yes it does, I had small legs even though I would squat, clean and dead-lift. However, during last spring I decided to start running up this hill aptly named "suicide hill" I would run at a slow pace until totally fatigued. I didn't do this with the intent of getting bigger legs, it just happened. My brother noticed it first after about 5 months of doing this 3 times a week. My upper body stayed the same, but thighs, calves and butt increased dramatically. But I did weigh 205lb when I started, and I know work=force distance, and force=mass gravity. Also the causation that cross country runners run up hill for long periods of time but do not have big legs must fail. People who are attracted to the sport have existing low weight to height ratios, they also take measures to stay that way. A larger weight increases force, which increases work done. After 5 months of this routine my weight increased to 219lbs and since my body fat decreased I can only assume I increased mass in my legs.

favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000) favori12 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Iron_Martyr View Post
    Your legs will get bigger but not nearly as fast or as big if you were doing squats
    This.

I was hardcore about xc/track for years and when I began bb'ing my thighs/calves were way out of proportion with my upper body. I don't remember what my quads measured but my calves were 13.5"... small yes, but large for 5'6 98 lbs. However, I would've likely built up that same amount of mass within 6 months of weight training as opposed to years of running.

Most distance runners I've come across have stick legs though while a rare few have unbelievable quads and/or calves from distance running alone.... genetics play the biggest role in this.

Originally Posted by DiegoR View Post
    140lb.
    Funny, he's stronger and looks much better than you... although you probably won't see this since this thread is almost a year old lols.

Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khrisstian is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It doesn't really matter how much weight you're using, it's how hard and fast you're pushing off the ground that is going to cause the strength and size gains. Don't get too materialistic now....
    I rep positive attitudes and good jokes

I spent three weeks in a coma, losing my memory and my fitness. I restarted on Jan 9th, 2019.

Lifts:
    Bench: 245
    Squat: 455
    Deadlift: 495

I used to weigh 8lb