lochfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Resistance bands - shoulders hurt

I have been trying to get into using resistance bands for my workouts but whatever combination of exercises I do I end up feeling soreness in my shoulders afterwards. I feel that with resistance band exercises the shoulders seem to be more involved than when using dumbbells for a lot of different upper body exercises. I am wondering if this is the reason. I should say that I have no pre-existing shoulder problems and I have studied a lot of youtube videos for correct form using resistance bands and do my exercises in front of a mirror so I don't think bad form is a problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really want to get into using resistance bands for working out as I cannot afford a gym membership and I can't use free weights in my place.

Thanks,

WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WoopItsKevin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by lochfire View Post
    I have been trying to get into using resistance bands for my workouts but whatever combination of exercises I do I end up feeling soreness in my shoulders afterwards. I feel that with resistance band exercises the shoulders seem to be more involved than when using dumbbells for a lot of different upper body exercises. I am wondering if this is the reason. I should say that I have no pre-existing shoulder problems and I have studied a lot of youtube videos for correct form using resistance bands and do my exercises in front of a mirror so I don't think bad form is a problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? I really want to get into using resistance bands for working out as I cannot afford a gym membership and I can't use free weights in my place.

Thanks,
    Feeling the "soreness" in your shoulders afterward should be a good thing as long as it's not an injury-related pain. I always start my shoulder training with band exercises to warm up the rotator cuff and get the blood flowing in the shoulders and you're right it does seem to hit "deeper" in the muscle and feel more direct than using freeweights...but by no means will you see the same results with just bands as you would using weighted resistance. The shoulders just aren't challenged enough with only using bands.
    PharmaFreak Sponsored Athlete
    www.PharmaFreak.com

Interact with me on Twitter and InstaGram! @KevinSchosek

www.BodiesByKevin.com

lochfire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for your response - problem is I am feeling that soreness not just after doing shoulder exercises with bands but a range of other upper body exercises, for example, standing chest press. I feel that when doing a standing chest press with bands that it puts strain on the shoulders much more than when doing a chest press on a bench with weights. I'm relatively new to bands so not sure whether it's a case of getting used to them. Would be really interested to know if anyone has had a similar experience with soreness / joint pain with bands, especially in the shoulders, and any solutions (e.g. certain exercises that are best to avoid).