Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking Life After My 1st Bodybuilding Competition...

So, I decided to start prepping for my 1st show... 168.6 lbs:

22 weeks later I had hit 139.6 lbs... ~141 lbs right here:

I stepped on stage at 140.6 lbs...

And, I placed 3rd in Men's Open Short!

I had a blast competing for the 1st time! It was definitely worth the 22 weeks of dieting and sacraficing. Not sure that'd I'd like to do it often LOL, but it was an experience that I enjoyed and am happy to have gone through with. I still can not believe that I placed at all! For the record I placed 3rd out of 5 in the Open, and 5th out of 8 in the Novice.

Alright, so now that all the contest preparation is over I'm back to "normal" life. LOL

This journal won't be anything exciting... not sure how much I'll be tracking my workouts, to be honest. It's a pain to write it down when training... I haven't done it for months now. Then it takes a while to sit down every day after a workout and try and recall every set/rep/exercise I did. I may start doing it again though in time...

Basically, I like having a place I can jot down my thoughts, plans, ideas, and track my weight and progress (some pics... some workout and diet stuff).
    "Classic case of 'guy on the ground.'" (David Wain, Role Models)

"The main reason I lift is because God wants me to." (me)

smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) smallguyjoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up 6/17

Weight: 145.2 lbs 5.2 - 8.0% bf w/ Omron Handheld

Well, so far I've enjoyed a good amount of food over the past few days post show

I am on somewhat of a plan though to try and maintain my current condition. I've set up two base meal plans to follow ~95% of the week. The range is from 2200 - 2550 Calories. So far I haven't yet hit the low range LOL...

Sunday = somewhat a binge on stuff like bagels, donuts, pastries
    Monday = not bad - I probably ate ~2300-2400 Calories
    Tuesday = not bad for the 1st 3/4 of the day, but then I enjoyed some Papa John's Pizza
    Wednesday (today) = so far so good... probably will fall with in 2300-2500 Calories

Morning Weights:
    Show - 140.6 lbs
    Sun - 141.6 lbs
    Mon - 145.0 lbs
    Tues - 143.8 lbs
    Wed - 145.2 lbs

I'm curious to see what happens over the next few weeks. My goal is to try and maintain my current condition. I think I hit ~7% bf and I expect to go up to ~8% bf over the next few weeks. I'd like to just stay at 7% bf, but it's gonna be hard since I don't feel like depriving myself completely any longer. I'm working on getting my metabolism back up to speed before I consistently eat like 2600 Calories per day. I'm trying to stay around 2400 Calories to play it safe. I'll go even lower if I feel it necassary.

I want to enjoy the summer though, so I'll see how it all goes.

I have a plan to maintain for the next 4-5 weeks. Then I'm going to try cutting for 3 weeks before I go on vacation for 1 week. I may cut after that as well. When i go to do this min cut in a few weeks I won't be as strict as I was when dieting for my show. I want to try and get lower in body fat, but I still want to enjoy some foods if the oportunites arise. During the 3 weeks I won't go out of my way to eat crap, but if my wife wants Dairy Queen one night I'm gonna get some too . Stuff like that.

Anyway, I'm feeling great so far. My leg workout went well Monday, and my Chest/Triceps workout yesterday went really well too! I'm freakin sore!!! Lifting heavy is a big time shock to my body right now. It feels AWESOME!

By the way, I'll state this right here... my LONG TERM GOAL is to seriously bring up my whole physique over the next 3-5 yrs or so and then get on that stage again, and hopefully... HOPEFULLY take home 1st place.

NGA\IFPA Pro Bodybuilder fltallpaul's Avatar
    fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fltallpaul is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the kind words Joe. I also have a thread in the workout journal section. You won't get nearly as much attention as the contest prep section but true followers will be here to support you.

I look forward to following your progress as you move into Post Competition mode and start taking your physique to the next level.
    Contest Prep Coach

Paul@ProPhysique.com

Core Nutritionals/Outwork Apparel Athlete

NGA & IFPA Pro Bodybuilder

Originally Posted by fltallpaul View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Joe. I also have a thread in the workout journal section. You won't get nearly as much attention as the contest prep section but true followers will be here to support you.

I look forward to following your progress as you move into Post Competition mode and start taking your physique to the next level.
    No problem, Paul

Yeah, the support/help in the contest prep section was awesome! It really helped me.

I'm gonna have to head over to your journal and learn a thing or two

Thanks, man!

I guess to keep things interesting, here's my workout from today:

Back/Biceps

pull ups
    bw x 12
    25 lbs x 9
    25 lbs x 6
    25 lbs x 8 (hammer grip)
    25 lbs x 4 (very wide)
    bw x 12 (hammer grip)
    bw x 6 (very wide)

db 1 arm row
    40 x 12
    50 x 12
    60 x 12
    70 x 8

prone incline bb row
    125 x 10
    145 x 10
    175 x 6
    175 x 4... 20-30 sec rest... 175 x 2.5... 20-30 sec rest... 175 x 2... same... 175 x 1.5

ez bar spider curl
    75 x 8
    75 x 6
    75 x 4... rest... 75 x 3... rest 75 x 2... rest... 75 x 2

bb reverse curl
    55 x 10
    55 x 10
    55 x 8

incline curl / close/hammer grip pulldown
    35's x 6 / 85 x 10
    35's x 5 / 100 x 10
    30's x 8 / 115 x 9

16 chin ups

sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Subbed

Originally Posted by sloboda View Post
    Subbed
    Word... thanks, homie

nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think I'm going to enjoy following your new journey into "NORMAL" life...since I suck at being "NORMAL" hee hee
    "I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one" -Marilyn Monroe

"Don't Dream It...Be it"---rocky horror picture show

http://theresadiamondunderallthisdust.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by nic902 View Post
    I think I'm going to enjoy following your new journey into "NORMAL" life...since I suck at being "NORMAL" hee hee
    Awesome! I like having you around, Nicole

LOL... me too, I think

6/18/2009

Weight: 145.2 lbs 5.6 - 8.6% bf w/ Omron

^^^Regarding this... I just want to note that I am still tracking my bf% w/ the lower # since that's how I was doing it when prepping. In time I will stop using the lower # and track w/ the higher # since I think that's the accurate one. I'm also tracking to see the change in bf% according to the handheld thing as my weight moves up and then hopefully plateaus. Hoping to see the body fat % not move up too much - if at all and then plateau as well .

I'm starting to wonder about glycogen weight a bit... Like how much weight exactly did I lose from being pretty glycogen depleted on a daily basis when cutting? I'm thinking that now my body has full glycogen stores, so obviously the scale weight would be more than it was leading up to the show. Basically, I'm wondering if most of... really most of... I'm talkin just about all of the weight I've gained is water/glycogen weight? I'm 4.5 lbs heavier than my contest weight right now, and I'm really thinking that at least 3 lbs of that increase is glycogen/water. I also think that it's kind of hard to believe that I could have gained 1.5 lbs of fat already, b/c I don't think I've eaten in that high of a net surplus to gain that amount of fat since Saturday. I could be wrong though, b/c the thing that sucks about all of this is I am lost when it comes to what my current maintenance Caloric intake is .

My original plan was to stick to 2200 Cals for the 1st week at least to see where I stood on those daily totals. However, it's been really hard to be that stringent post contest. I can't help but feel proud that I have so far not really over done it hardcore with the cheat foods and all, but I am being more lenient than I had planned. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though. I think mentally I kinda need to go through this.

So far it is somewhat of a struggle between finding a balance of the proper amounts of food to eat to maintain, and also enjoying some good stuff here and there. Mainly I think it's hard b/c I'm taking shots in the dark since I don't know what's too much and what's too little. Know what I mean? I hope to establish a baseline soon.

I think in reality I am going to put some fat on in these few weeks ahead b/c I am HUNGRY! Nah, but seriously, 22 weeks of depriving myself of efficient amounts of food and also of treats it's now time for me to enjoy food a bit. So, I am tryin hard to hit a range of 2200 - 2550 Calories, but it's proving to be harder than I had anticipated.

I am thinking that after this long weekend at the beach I will have had my full of consistent cheat foods, and by next Wed when I'm back to everyday life I will have an easier time sacrificing more often again to maintain.

But, yeah, I'm only kidding myself if I think that I will not put on any fat over the next several days. The good thing is I think it will be a very very small amount, and when I mini-cut in a few weeks that fat + some more will come off in no time - probably 1 week of ballz to the wall cutting should do the trick getting rid of what I will have gained ... then another 2 weeks or so will hopefully get me leaner than I was for the show. 1 week off for vacation, and then possibly continue cutting for another couple weeks just to see if I can reach a goal that I have in mind. I'll see how I feel, I guess.

Training:

So far this week training has been GREAT! I love the feeling of being sore again, and really feeling the muscles work in the workout sessions. I know it's a mental thing, but it's like I can feel that they are going to grow in response to the heavy lifting .

I had set out this week w/ this split in mind:

Mon - legs/abs
    Tues - chest/tri's
    Wed - back/bi's
    Thurs - delts/traps/forearms
    Fri - legs/abs
    Sat - chest/tri's
    Sun - rest
    Mon - start over w/ what's next (back/bi's)... continue cycle...

The problem is that pretty much all of me is currently sore. I may still try delts/traps/forearms today. But, I don't think I can do much shoulder pressing b/c of my triceps. Also, my front delts are pretty shot. It may just be a good traps workout w/ some forearms and side/rear delts training today.

I'm also toying w/ the idea of doing this:

Mon - legs/abs
    Tues - chest/tri's
    Wed - back/bi's
    Thurs - legs/abs
    Fri - push day w/ front and side delts 1st - some triceps and chest
    Sat - pull day w/ traps and rear delts 1st - some back and biceps
    Sun - rest

^^^I like the idea of this split, but I don't think my legs are ready yet this week. maybe in time I might try this routine once my body is not getting as sore.

I'll just see how I feel when I get to the gym today.

By the way... this is a journal, and I'm doin some serious journaling LOL
    Last edited by smallguyjoe; 06-18-2009 at 03:53 AM.

achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) achtungbaby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    subbed! good to see you are still putting us all to shame with your hard work

Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
    subbed! good to see you are still putting us all to shame with your hard work
    LOL, thanks, George

I'm not workin that hard... YET

My Upper Range Base Diet...

2740 Calories (155 P / 407.5 C / 63 F)

meal 1 - 75 grams granola w/ 3/4 cup skim milk, NOW Vitamin E and D

meal 2 - 2 slices Ezekiel bread, 32 grams peanut butter

meal 3 - 1 cup lowfat chocolate milk, 90 Cal granola bar

on my way to the gym - 1 scoop NO Explode

meal 4 -
    during weights - 2 t Universal BCAA's + 1 scoop Gatorade

after weights - 1 scoop Met-Rx whey, 155 Calorie granola bar, a banana

meal 5 - 4 oz chicken, 4 oz cooked spaghetti, 1/4 cup sauce, 105 grams green beans

meal 6 - an orange, 10 baby carrots, 1 cup skim milk

meal 7 - medium tortilla, 2 omega 3 eggs, 1 T guacamole, 1 T hummas, 1 T salsa, 1/3 cup black beans, 1/4 cup peppers, 1/4 cup corn

meal 8 - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 t brown sugar, 1/4 cup frozen wild blueberries

So, that's pretty much what I eat right now. I switch things up here and there, and end up as low as 2500 Cals... or maybe just under 2500. This week so far I've hit ~2500 Cals or so on Monday and then 3000 - 3100 Cals on Tues and Wed. We're going out tonight w/ my parents to this awesome Italian place where their bread and olive oil mixture is insane! I'll be eating a good deal of bread, probably a cup of soup, and a chicken and pasta dish. Looks like I'll be hitting ~3100 Calories for the 3rd day in a row. So much for maintaining! Looks like I'm on a bulk LOL ... Whatever... like I said when I get back next Wed from my mini vacation I'm gonna try and hit 2400 - 2750 Cals/day... maybe 3100 for 2 days out of the week. I just don't think I can handle 2200-2400 Cals per day at this point. If I find that I have to go lower to maintain I'll do it, but I think I'm going to try this at 1st and see where it gets me.

Also, calculators online estimate my maintenance to be 2500 - 2900 Cals/day. Although those calculators aren't factoring in the fact that my metabolism is just coming off of a 22 week Caloric deficit. Eh... I'll see what happens. The moment my waist is above 29" in the morning is the moment I take steps to stop gaining any more body fat.

EDIT: I just did several Maintenance Calorie Calculators and the vast majority is on average 2750 Calories/day. So, I don't feel to bad about my current base plan. Again though... I'll know soon enough.
    Last edited by smallguyjoe; 06-18-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Thumbs up The Truth About Bulking...

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1268956

I have a blog regarding this article, and I've posted it else where... figured I'd post it up in here for even more exposure. It is a great read.

According to the article I am currently eating around their recommended intake for optimal gains w/ minimal minimal fat. So, I guess according to this article my maintenance would be more like ~2500 Cals/day since it's telling me to eat ~2750 Cals/day to gain ~.5 lb per week. Hmm... maybe I'm clean bulking right now LOL

Well, anyway, just thought that was kind of cool, and figured I'd post this artcle up again to maybe help out some confused bulkers
    Last edited by smallguyjoe; 06-18-2009 at 01:32 PM.

deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congratulations on your placing in your first contest.

Subbed.
    She approached with her hand extended,. I slowly stepped back. "No" she said. "I just want to shake your hand. You're amazingly gorgeous." As she walked by me she copped a biceps feel.

1st Place Masters Over 60 Bodybuilding 2014

Originally Posted by deltpecx View Post
    Congratulations on your placing in your first contest.

Subbed.
    Appreciate it, man... thanks!

sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sloboda is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by smallguyjoe View Post
    http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1268956

I have a blog regarding this article, and I've posted it else where... figured I'd post it up in here for even more exposure. It is a great read.

According to the article I am currently eating around their recommended intake for optimal gains w/ minimal minimal fat. So, I guess according to this article my maintenance would be more like ~2500 Cals/day since it's telling me to eat ~2750 Cals/day to gain ~.5 lb per week. Hmm... maybe I'm clean bulking right now LOL

Well, anyway, just thought that was kind of cool, and figured I'd post this artcle up again to maybe help out some confused bulkers
    Im diggin the detail of this log Joe
    Is that the article you had on your bodyspace? I was gonna ask you about it since the link wasnt working for me. anyways i'm gonna give it a read. keep up the good work maybe you can add some food pictures into this log. I for one likes seeing how peoples meals look.. and cheats obviously

Im diggin the detail of this log Joe
    Is that the article you had on your bodyspace? I was gonna ask you about it since the link wasnt working for me. anyways i'm gonna give it a read. keep up the good work maybe you can add some food pictures into this log. I for one likes seeing how peoples meals look.. and cheats obviously
    Thanks, homie

Yep. That's the article. I learned the hard way and went through everything it discusses. Wish I had read this darn article like 3 yrs ago! Definitely read it... it's interesting and informative.

LOL... food porn, brah? Poor guy... you've been cutting for too long, man . My meals don't look like anything special. They taste alright, but they're nothing to look at. Plus, I aint tryin to waste time takin pics of my food, man... once it's ready to be eaten I'm tryin to eat it asap! I'm HUNGRY

Maybe I'll take some pics of me eatin some pizza and ice cream this weekend at the beach

Went w/ this split...

Mon - legs/abs
    Tues - chest/tri's
    Wed - back/bi's
    Thurs - legs/abs
    Fri - push day w/ front and side delts 1st - some triceps and chest
    Sat - pull day w/ traps and rear delts 1st - some back and biceps
    Sun - rest
    I decided that my legs were the most unsore part of me, so it's the above split that I'll be doin for a while. I've got a good feeling about this one

Legs and abs workout was good today... except for a slight scare I had when doing hack squats... I totally felt my back for a quick second on the 3rd rep of 270 lbs. I guess it's too heavy just yet for my back . It sucks b/c my legs had that weight all day. Oh well...

Workout looked something like this...

Legs / Abs

hack squat / calves
    4 sets / 4 sets

decline crunches
    20 / 20 twists

db split leg squats
    4 sets (went up to 50's today for 2 sets - movin on up)

decline crunches
    +25 lbs x 20 / 14 twists

donkey calves
    4 sets

prone leg curl
    2 sets of 10
    3 sets of 6

leg ext
    2 sets of 10
    3 sets of 8 / 4 sets abs exercise

hip ADductor / hip ABductor
    3 sets / 3 sets

seated calves / body weight leg movement
    90 x 15 / bw split squats x 10 per side
    90 x 12 / bw side lunges x 10 per side
    90 x 12 / bw plit squats x 10 per side / 10 bw squats

Thanks, homie

Yep. That's the article. I learned the hard way and went through everything it discusses. Wish I had read this darn article like 3 yrs ago! Definitely read it... it's interesting and informative.

LOL... food porn, brah? Poor guy... you've been cutting for too long, man . My meals don't look like anything special. They taste alright, but they're nothing to look at. Plus, I aint tryin to waste time takin pics of my food, man... once it's ready to be eaten I'm tryin to eat it asap! I'm HUNGRY

Maybe I'll take some pics of me eatin some pizza and ice cream this weekend at the beach
    alright sweet ill read it in a bit

yeah man haha food porn > real porn(serious) I constantly refresh the meals eating now thread.. and I read every page of the post-contest binge thread. Ive tried to snap some pictures of my epic bulking meals in the past but after a while I just couldnt stop eating and didnt have the time to take anyway

deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) deltpecx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice leg workout, Joe!

Your gym has a Donkey Calf bench?

I haven't seen one of those in...well...let's just say in a very,very long time.
    She approached with her hand extended,. I slowly stepped back. "No" she said. "I just want to shake your hand. You're amazingly gorgeous." As she walked by me she copped a biceps feel.

1st Place Masters Over 60 Bodybuilding 2014

Originally Posted by deltpecx View Post
    Nice leg workout, Joe!

Your gym has a Donkey Calf bench?

I haven't seen one of those in...well...let's just say in a very,very long time.
    Thanks, man! Yeah, I like it... the 2 gyms I went to before this didn't have one, so it's nice to be able to hit my calves differently - they need whatever they can get!

nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic902 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    By the way... this is a journal, and I'm doin some serious journaling LOL
    And I LOVE it!! I dont think your current cheats will do much damage to your physique at all...you have a solid plan in place and you've learned so much about your body throughout your prep that you'll be able to keep things under control.

hee hee...thats just mean

I decided that my legs were the most unsore part of me, so it's the above split that I'll be doin for a while. I've got a good feeling about this one

Legs and abs workout was good today... except for a slight scare I had when doing hack squats... I totally felt my back for a quick second on the 3rd rep of 270 lbs. I guess it's too heavy just yet for my back . It sucks b/c my legs had that weight all day. Oh well...
    Its awesome that you're having some great workouts but PLEASE be careful!!! You dont want to push youself to hard and end up doing more harm than good!!!
    "I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one" -Marilyn Monroe

"Don't Dream It...Be it"---rocky horror picture show

http://theresadiamondunderallthisdust.blogspot.com/

I just noticed you're doing legs twice a week. I find that scary haha. I kill my legs once a week and get days worth of soreness. are you splitting hammys/quads for each day?

I thought about doing quads/calves then hammys/calves. I just gotta see how it will workout with a full split

BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000) BaFtub is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I can send you the file but Imma post it in here. FAQ With Layne and its a must read for those post contest IMO.

--------------------------------------

On transition to offseason from competition:

Do you give your body time to adjust after a contest before you start your first bulk cycle? Even though I'm not quite 8 weeks out, want to start planning (failure to plan is planning to fail!) I was thinking a gradual increase (maybe 150 per week?) would be wise until I'm 300 Kcals above maintenance, then hold that for the 6-8 week bulk cycle. Your thoughts on that?

--

I just wrote something about this on another forum

Post contest is a very difficult situation and if you go on a full out bulk post contest you are going to do nothing but get fat. Usually what I do is take the carb amount that the person was taking in before the show and add 50g to it, while keeping protein & fat the same, maybe slightly higher on fat. After they stop gaining weight from this; I add in another 20g of carbs & 5g of fat, when they stop gaining weight on that; I add another 25g of carbs and so on and so forth. typically it takes about 10-16 weeks to get back into a full blown offseason; but done right, the fat gain can be kept to a minimum

this was also posted by madman911 on my forum and I thought it was right on target

"We've all heard of the anabolic rebound after contest prep, and many gurus advocate eating like a horse immediately after a contest to take advantage of the huge lean gains possible during this period, but I gotta agree with Layne that it doesn't work that way. The body wants to get back to its baseline body fat levels ASAP, that will always be the body's first order of business when your body fat is literally at starvation levels. I don't agree with the assertion that the body tends toward lean mass gains when body fat is low, I believe that the body likely gains lean mass most efficiently when a threshold level of body fat is achieved. When the body is satisfied that it is no longer in immediate danger of starvation, then an environment promoting lean mass gains is created. The ultimate goal should be to gradually bring the body up to that threshold level of body fat in a slow, controlled way without exceeding what is necessary to promote muscle growth. Many bodybuilders no doubt believe they are gaining tons of lean mass post-contest (not saying that's you quelly, you seem smarter than that), when, in reality, they are adding 2 points to their body fat each week. Going from 5% to 10% bodyfat in the first 2-3 weeks post-contest seems very common and I'm sure most guys think they're packing on slabs of muscle and they are just 'holding water' post-contest and that's why they're looking smooth again.... Nope, you're just 5% fatter."

Interesting thought but isn't it just that? a speculation? Couldn't it also be said that since your muscles were in a starvation type period for so long (heavy workouts + restricted calories) that they would be readily available to absorb nutrients and supercompensate if you will for the lack of food available while dieting? also you will be able to work out with more intensity, etc. Just playing devils advocate i don't know if one way is right or the other
    long dieting = low leptin, low T3, reduced metabolic rate = primed to store fat. Sure it's speculation but it's based on years of research on my part and also years of experimentation with myself and people I work with

On resetting metabolism:

Does the body typically need 10 to 16 weeks to reset its metabolism? Because a cutting diet is catabolic per se, even the most thought out carb cycle, will lead to a metabolic drop, right?

Let's imagine you cut on 12 Kcal/lbs of BW a day. Usually (or theoretically here) if you want to maintain fat loss the longer you're in the diet, the lower the calories fall, even if you cycle and try to minimize this effect.
    So in reality even if you make your calories go progressively lower and lower, you constantly stay on 12 Kcal/lbs BW/day BUT BASED on your CONSTANTLY DECREASING BMR. Which leads to another question, or maybe a way to evaluate/calculate your current BMR at different times into the diet. Which would actually be a quiet useful tool, I think. I'd be really interested to hear what you think about this.

The more of a caloric deficit you go into the more your metabolism slows. And yes, it takes that long to 'reset' your metabolism

On hunger post contest:

After contest how many days does it take normaly to feel no hunger at all or it is only happen when I rich my bodyfat setpoint?
    Thanks
    alot of this is physiological but much of it is also psychological. Studies have found that it can take weeks and even months to properly recover from a diet that includes your appetite regulation. What you DO NOT want to do is gorge yourself post contest. Basically I take whatever number of carbohydrates I was eating during my contest and I add 75 to that, with my protein starting at 225 and my fat starting at 60. once my weight stabalizes I add another 25g of carbs and wait til my weight stabalizes. Then I add 25g of carbs again , and keep repeating, this way you add weight slowly so you don't overshoot your bodyfat setpoint.
    www.youtube.com/flexxinator
    www.3dmusclejourney.com
    www.blogtalkradio.com/nattytalk

Originally Posted by nic902 View Post
    And I LOVE it!! I dont think your current cheats will do much damage to your physique at all...you have a solid plan in place and you've learned so much about your body throughout your prep that you'll be able to keep things under control.

I hope that I don't/haven't gained too much so far. I think I've gained a solid 5 lbs that's here to stay. I do believe that 75% of that is water/glycogen, but the rest is most likely fat and MAYBE a small amount of LBM comin back quickly. I think I'm up to more like 8% bf now whereas I was ~7% bf for the show. I'm not complaining, but I gotta stop the fat gains here and now. No more 2750 Calorie Base Plan... dropping it down to 2400 - 2500 Calories starting today.

hee hee...thats just mean

LOL , but it's kinda funny though, right?

Its awesome that you're having some great workouts but PLEASE be careful!!! You dont want to push youself to hard and end up doing more harm than good!!!

[b]You're right . Good lookin out, Nicole. I was actually trying to be careful, but w/ my back I need to be extra careful. I should have made a smaller weight increase. Next time I'll be EXTRA careful. I hate my back injury .
    I just noticed you're doing legs twice a week. I find that scary haha. I kill my legs once a week and get days worth of soreness. are you splitting hammys/quads for each day?

I thought about doing quads/calves then hammys/calves. I just gotta see how it will workout with a full split
    Yeah, man. Legs 2x per week. I've done it that way for a long time. Just gotta space it out right. If I was able to go super hard and heavy on my legs like the old days I'd probably go Legs Monday and then Legs again Friday. They were alright yesterday to be hit again, so I did

And, nah... do em all together. I can only do leg curls for hamstrings b/c I can't deadlift at all. It sucks huge ballz

Originally Posted by BaFtub View Post
    I can send you the file but Imma post it in here. FAQ With Layne and its a must read for those post contest IMO.

--------------------------------------

On transition to offseason from competition:

Do you give your body time to adjust after a contest before you start your first bulk cycle? Even though I'm not quite 8 weeks out, want to start planning (failure to plan is planning to fail!) I was thinking a gradual increase (maybe 150 per week?) would be wise until I'm 300 Kcals above maintenance, then hold that for the 6-8 week bulk cycle. Your thoughts on that?

--

I just wrote something about this on another forum

Post contest is a very difficult situation and if you go on a full out bulk post contest you are going to do nothing but get fat. Usually what I do is take the carb amount that the person was taking in before the show and add 50g to it, while keeping protein & fat the same, maybe slightly higher on fat. After they stop gaining weight from this; I add in another 20g of carbs & 5g of fat, when they stop gaining weight on that; I add another 25g of carbs and so on and so forth. typically it takes about 10-16 weeks to get back into a full blown offseason; but done right, the fat gain can be kept to a minimum

this was also posted by madman911 on my forum and I thought it was right on target

"We've all heard of the anabolic rebound after contest prep, and many gurus advocate eating like a horse immediately after a contest to take advantage of the huge lean gains possible during this period, but I gotta agree with Layne that it doesn't work that way. The body wants to get back to its baseline body fat levels ASAP, that will always be the body's first order of business when your body fat is literally at starvation levels. I don't agree with the assertion that the body tends toward lean mass gains when body fat is low, I believe that the body likely gains lean mass most efficiently when a threshold level of body fat is achieved. When the body is satisfied that it is no longer in immediate danger of starvation, then an environment promoting lean mass gains is created. The ultimate goal should be to gradually bring the body up to that threshold level of body fat in a slow, controlled way without exceeding what is necessary to promote muscle growth. Many bodybuilders no doubt believe they are gaining tons of lean mass post-contest (not saying that's you quelly, you seem smarter than that), when, in reality, they are adding 2 points to their body fat each week. Going from 5% to 10% bodyfat in the first 2-3 weeks post-contest seems very common and I'm sure most guys think they're packing on slabs of muscle and they are just 'holding water' post-contest and that's why they're looking smooth again.... Nope, you're just 5% fatter."

Interesting thought but isn't it just that? a speculation? Couldn't it also be said that since your muscles were in a starvation type period for so long (heavy workouts + restricted calories) that they would be readily available to absorb nutrients and supercompensate if you will for the lack of food available while dieting? also you will be able to work out with more intensity, etc. Just playing devils advocate i don't know if one way is right or the other
    long dieting = low leptin, low T3, reduced metabolic rate = primed to store fat. Sure it's speculation but it's based on years of research on my part and also years of experimentation with myself and people I work with

On resetting metabolism:

Does the body typically need 10 to 16 weeks to reset its metabolism? Because a cutting diet is catabolic per se, even the most thought out carb cycle, will lead to a metabolic drop, right?

Let's imagine you cut on 12 Kcal/lbs of BW a day. Usually (or theoretically here) if you want to maintain fat loss the longer you're in the diet, the lower the calories fall, even if you cycle and try to minimize this effect.
    So in reality even if you make your calories go progressively lower and lower, you constantly stay on 12 Kcal/lbs BW/day BUT BASED on your CONSTANTLY DECREASING BMR. Which leads to another question, or maybe a way to evaluate/calculate your current BMR at different times into the diet. Which would actually be a quiet useful tool, I think. I'd be really interested to hear what you think about this.

The more of a caloric deficit you go into the more your metabolism slows. And yes, it takes that long to 'reset' your metabolism

On hunger post contest:

After contest how many days does it take normaly to feel no hunger at all or it is only happen when I rich my bodyfat setpoint?
    Thanks
    alot of this is physiological but much of it is also psychological. Studies have found that it can take weeks and even months to properly recover from a diet that includes your appetite regulation. What you DO NOT want to do is gorge yourself post contest. Basically I take whatever number of carbohydrates I was eating during my contest and I add 75 to that, with my protein starting at 225 and my fat starting at 60. once my weight stabalizes I add another 25g of carbs and wait til my weight stabalizes. Then I add 25g of carbs again , and keep repeating, this way you add weight slowly so you don't overshoot your bodyfat setpoint.
    YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU for posting this, Brett!!!!

Back to the drawing board for me LOL...

Gotta figure my stuff out... little late for this week, and I'm going on vacation over the weekend. But next week I'm gonna be back into a more stringent plan. Kinda sucks that I blew it somewhat so far, but I know it's not too late to change and then maintain like 8% bf.
    Last edited by smallguyjoe; 06-19-2009 at 01:52 PM.

6/19

Weight: 146.4 lbs 6.3 - 8.9% bf w/ Omron

Yep... just like what Brett posted... I'm movin on up w/ ease. I'm eating too much. I've enjoyed myself a bit too much this week. It wasn't so much of me binging. In my opinion I haven't binged. I did indulge more than I should have, and I also set my base Calories too high. I got carried away with it due to not wanting to be restricted anymore.

So, I'm going on vacation tomorrow afternoon, and I'm not about to start being strict then . No point really... that would just ruin the vacation. So for 4 more days I'll be loose with diet.

I just spent some time on Fitday and set up a diet for when I get back. It might not be perfect, but it's way lower than what I've been eating.

Here's what I'm planning:

2097 Calories (159.5 P / 289.3 C / 41.8 F)

meal 1
    1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup skim milk, Vitamin D and E

meal 2
    2 slices Ezekiel bread, 32 grams peanut butter

meal 3 (pre workout)
    100 Calorie Nesquick chocolate milk

NO Explode on way to gym

(intra workout)
    1 scoop Gatorade, 2 t Universal BCAA's

meal 4 (post workout)
    1 scoop EAS or Met-Rx whey, an orange, a banana

meal 5
    2 oz chicken, 105 grams green beans, 3/4 cup yam, 10 baby carrots

meal 6
    3 oz chicken, 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup broccoli

meal 7
    80 Calorie tortilla, 1 omega 3 egg, 1/4 cup black beans

meal 8
    1/2 scoop Myofusion, 1 cup skim milk

ZMA before bed (this diet doesn't quite meet the RDA's for zinc and magnesium)

I'll see where this ^^^ gets me...

I'm sure I'll be enjoying some "insert word for desserts or unscheduled foods here", but it won't be anything like it was this past week. I'll keep it to more like 2-3 x per week where I deviate from my diet plan.

Looks like the hard work is far from being done ...
    Last edited by smallguyjoe; 06-19-2009 at 07:59 AM.

6/19/2009

Push Day

behind the neck bb press
    bar x 10
    95 x 10
    105 x 8
    105 x 6

db shoulder press
    45's x 6, 6, 6

incline db press
    50's x 10
    70's x 7, 6, 5

1 arm side laterals dropset (3 full sets for each arm)
    30's/20's/15's x 10/8/6

upright rows
    85 x 10, 8, 8

flat bb press
    135 x 10
    185 x 6
    185 x 4

over head tri ext
    70 x 10
    75 x 7
    75 x 5

low pulley flye / cable side laterals / rope pushdown
    25 x 10 / 25 x 4 / 55 x 7
    40 x 8 / 10 x 10 / 55 x 7
    40 x 8 / 25 x 5 (cable front raises) / 55/40/25 x 6/4/8

BTW... Total Cals Today: 2400 - 2500*

*Unless I decide to make these sweet potato/pecan waffles tonight. Then the daily total will be 2600 - 2700 Calories.

**Tomorrow, Sun, Mon, and Tues will be pretty much whatever. I don't mean whatever as in binge eating... I mean I'll be eating out a lot and probably getting pizza and ice cream on the boardwalk - stuff like that... I'll be on vacation . When I get back it's GAME ON, YALLZ! ... I'll be starting out with the 2100 Calorie meal plan. I expect to drop weight at 1st, and then stall. Once I stall for a good 3-4 days I'll increase my Cals by adding a granola bar that is 150 Calories (~5 grams of fat and ~26 grams carbs). Once I need more I'll change some stuff around... at the point where I need another Calorie adjustment I will likely lower grams of protein to be whatever my body weight in lbs is, and fill in the Calories with 5 grams of fat and the rest carbs. I think once I am over 300 grams of carbs I won't need my protein to be at cutting levels anymore.

The thing of it is, once I kinda get the ball rolling with my metabolism I'll be starting to try cutting again LOL. I am almost tempted to start cutting when I get back next week, but am thinking that would just be a bad move at this point. I'm thinking that waiting another few weeks is the smarter move. This way I can at least get my metabolic rate sped up some, and then I won't have to drop Calories obscenely low and do tons of cardio at 1st. Plus, I just think mentally, physically, and all it's probably best to give the cutting a rest for a few weeks.

I guess on the plus side I will see if this exit plan works well, and then I'll have a better idea of what to do when I am done cutting.
    Last edited by smallguyjoe; 06-19-2009 at 12:17 PM.

damn man youre crazy haha, but good move on enjoying the vacation obviously you deserve the break. I read what he posted also im gonna go about doing that also I think its a much safer approach to to gaining lbm

damn man youre crazy haha, but good move on enjoying the vacation obviously you deserve the break. I read what he posted also im gonna go about doing that also I think its a much safer approach to to gaining lbm
    Yeah, I am crazy

There's a few things racking my brain right now...

-I don't wanna gain a bunch of fat back all quick

-I got so close to getting where I wanted to be - why not get there?

-I want to maintain a lean physique... preferrably leaner than I was for the show, but at least as lean as I was for the show!

-I want to enjoy this summer... for the 1st time in like 2 yrs I want to enjoy not cutting in the summer. Looks like that's not gonna really happen... I'm gettin some time off from cutting... ~ 1 month, but then it's back at it. Like I said, I got so close - I want to finish this. Since I don't have a deadline and not much to lose I will probably be a little loose when cutting... NOT TOO LOOSE... I don't feel like wasting my time LOL

So, there ya have it. Bodybuilding is driving me NUTZ LOL

Lookin forward to this weekend though ... It's gonna be nice relaxin w/ the wife and boy... hopefully I'll get to shred some wavezzzz! it'll be cute seein Isaac play on the beach too

Thumbs up More Craziness...

Here's what I propose...

-Try to maintain a weight of ~145 lbs and 8% body fat until July 13th

-July 13th - 16th (1/2 a week) cut w/ ~1000 Calorie deficit... it's only a few days b/c 16th - 19th I am on a mini vacation.

-July 20th - Aug 2nd (2 weeks) cut w/ ~850-1000 Calorie deficit and a re-feed of maintenance or higher every 4th day.

-1st GOAL: go from ~145 lbs 8% bf to ~141 lbs 6% bf

-Aug 2nd - 9th vacation... probably come back 143 lbs 7% bf since I won't be able to acclimate my body to higher Calories before hand...

-Aug 10th - 31st (3 weeks) cut w/ 850 - 1000 Calorie deficitw/ the re-feed every 4th day

-2nd GOAL: go from ~143 lbs 7% bf to ~138-139 lbs 4-5% bf

-3rd GOAL: spend a good 2-3 months speeding my metabolism back up slowly so that I can maintain my physique as lean as possible... hopefully no more than 5-7% bf. Then I'll work on gaining LBM very slowly.

*Just a game plan for the next few months. We'll see how it goes... I do have a summer class starting the 29th, so that'll suck LOL. Also, I'd like to get my NSCA CPT sometime in August. Last, I can't say this enough... as bad as I want to get leaner, and stay lean, I have been strict for so long that I "want" to not be super strict for a little... not just a week like this past week, but for a good while. Obviously there needs to be a balance with how "un-strict" I am... i.e. can't be eating the way I did this week every week. I plan on workin hard and seein where I can get with all of this during this summer, but I am not going to ruin my summer trying to reach these goals. I may not reach them in full. Not setting myself up for failure... I'm being realistic and acknowledging how I feel about all of this dieting and all. Basically I may change my mind and decide I have different priorities .

**Alright... I've got a plan in place... after this weekend it's time to put it into action!
    Last edited by smallguyjoe; 06-19-2009 at 01:50 PM.