Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    To the OP.

Let me just say that you are in the prime of your life and working out will pay dividends for years to come. (If you do it right)

In my 20's (19-26) I was very serious into weight training. Not just the gym....but my entire lifestyle.

Yes then life happened.....and I did not work out for many years. People always looked at me as athletic though and I never really lost it all but I did probably loose about 20 lbs of muscle over 10 years. Thing is.....if I ever would manage to get in the gym even for a short time, it would all start to come back.....and very fast. Through poor diet and lack of exercise, I hit 200lbs and that was enough for me.

I decided to get back in some shape and dieted and did a 3 day split with cardio and got down to 180 in very little time. I thought I looked pretty good for a 36 year old. Then my life changed dramatically.

I was almost killed in an accident which broke my neck and luckily I survived. The doctor could tell that I "worked out" and said if I did not have the strong hip/leg development, I could have likely also broken my pelvis. Instead my muscle only suffered a deep bruise. (which is still not fully healed 5 months later). After lying around for almost three months with a broken neck isolated in a collar, I made a commitment to 'feel good again' if I got the chance. I had withered away to 172lbs. I was going to really get back in the gym.

I am finally back in the gym serious. It has given me focus in hard times and fueled my motivation to not only work out, but to eat and sleep right.

Like others have mentioned, muscle memory is an AWESOME thing. I have gained over 20lbs (You could say 30lbs but I dont consider 170 my starting point because it was artificially low due to my injury). This is in just over 2 months and my bodyfat is continually dropping. (aprox 12-13%) I am holding a steady 200 lbs right now at 5'8 and still gaining muscle back.

I truly believe that this would not be possible if I had not 'paid my dues' in my 20's. Now it just comes back easy.

So that is what I can say it will do for you..... Short answer....It might have saved my life......workout and dont look back. It will never be a bad thing and it will only help you.

Good luck

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)

That is FUNNY...

Originally Posted by Dave76 View Post
    Something very similar happened to me. I worked out for about 6 weeks and everything was going along just fine. One night, after a workout, I had some of dat dere cell tech. The next morning, bam, I looked just like this guy.

It took me nearly a year to get back to normal.
    LOLOLOLOLOL still laughing....

I can't believe I read all the way to the end of this thread!!!

Actually, I was thinking about suggesting you wait till you are 75 or 80 or so to work out... then you would not have to worry about ever hurting yourself in the gym and causing early onset "pain". The theory here is that you could then work out until you die... yeah, like about the time your 80 you are starting to get so looney your kids are tired of coming around anyway. You can take up some of the boredom with weight training!

I'm sorry, my mom really is 85 and weight trains.... with dumbells that weigh 1 lb. I love her dearly.

What has me wondering is why you are waiting for three months or so... healing up from something?

The only thing negative about weight training is that once you look like the big guy above, if you stop, you are going to have to eat less... or you will gain weight. It won't be the muscles changing into fat, it will be the fat being stored by your body from too many calories being taken in.

The reason I started in the first place was because I wanted to be able to eat a good meal now and then and not worry about gaining 10 more lb. Then I got hooked. Now I can pretty much eat what I want, but I don't. Like someone said above, I feel better when I train! It feels pretty good to be able to knock out 20 push ups without getting winded.

Dan
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV

chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) chmbs1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're training correctly, you won't want to stop, ever. I'm confident of that.

I plan on lifting until I'm pushing up daisies. I want my grandsons to stare at me in awe, and my granddaughter(s)' boyfriends to look at me in terror. That's the life for me. I wouldn't have it any other way.

KNATETAH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by chmbs1 View Post
    If you're training correctly, you won't want to stop, ever. I'm confident of that.

I plan on lifting until I'm pushing up daisies. I want my grandsons to stare at me in awe, and my granddaughter(s)' boyfriends to look at me in terror. That's the life for me. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    This ^^

jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10) jlczl is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    To the OP................................................ ........................................
    <snip>
    .................................................. ..............

So that is what I can say it will do for you..... Short answer....It might have saved my life......workout and dont look back. It will never be a bad thing and it will only help you.

Good luck
    Only partially quoted it but your whole answer is pretty much awesome and what I'd expect from this forum.

Very mature and beneficial response. Thanks for the contribution.

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Youre also only 25. I started lifting close to that age and have started and quit a couple different times.

You never know how you will feel in 2-4 years. You might get injured. You might wake up and wonder why in the world you are lifting and killing yourself every day. You might get with a chick that gets all your attention for quite some time.??...You just never know.

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Zteps View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm 26yo and planning to start weight training in 3 months or so, however I'm somewhat worried what will happen when I'll stop (lets face it, this day will come).

I was wondering, what happens if at 35 if I stop exercising altogether?

Assume that body fat is fairly low, and there is lean muscle but nothing over the top.

Will it turn to fat?
    Will I just lose muscle?

Thanks
    dont even start lifting cuz you will just get all huge and everything and EVERYBODY knows that all that muscle will just magically turn to fat when you stop. plus if your not at the gym that will open up the squat rack so I can curl.
    O35 5'8" Crew

The Italian Scallion BrotherWolf's Avatar
    BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BrotherWolf has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    You're already worried about stopping and you haven't started yet?

Huh....
    One needs to plan ahead these days
    who says love has to be soft and gentle ?

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The more I read of this thread, the more the epic fail of the OP comes shining through.

Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Capt_Lou is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by snoack View Post
    The more I read of this thread, the more the epic fail of the OP comes shining through.
    The more I read this thread the more that I am glad I am raising my kids not to have this defeatest attitude.
    Instagram @captloufitness

Get comfortable being uncomfortable

USMC 89-97

snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) snoack is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Capt_Lou View Post
    The more I read this thread the more that I am glad I am raising my kids not to have this defeatest attitude.

my boy would say that the OP is a clown.

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Trying to figure your question out, so I went back and looked at your other threads (questions)...

You are shooting yourself in the foot by not working out with weights now. If you want to protect the muscle you have, and still loose weight, you need to be lifting. It will help you loose fat, and protect the muscle you have. Running on a treadmill for 4 hours a week is good, but does not signal your body to hang onto any of your upper body muscle mass, only that on your legs and hips... and even that will not grow in size. To look good you want your muscle mass to grow. That will keep your diet effective, and not let you turn into an extremely efficient "fat storage" machine down the road.

Dan
    Last edited by Hey-Iwas51; 06-18-2009 at 01:19 PM.
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV

thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000)

Post Just in case you's havent noticed...

The original poster of this thread has not sent they're reply to anyone's else's posts.

But yes,definately aim to keep the metabolism up even if you find weight training isnt exactly for you.Do other forms of resistance exercises such as pushups,pullups and dips.
    Ab crunches and/or hanging knee raises for abdominals.Run,jog,bike ride,eliptical,stationary bike,treadmill,heavybag,calasthetics,recreational sports,etc,etc.All very good alternatives to being a weightlifter or bodybuilder,or gym rat or gym enthusuiast,whatever have ya.

A life of fitness and vitality and well being has various formats and options.Various doorways.Just focus on desiring a healthy life and maintianing a body capable of adequte physical competence if nothing else as far as definite goal orientated measures of focus.
    At least that is the core aspect of analyzing the entire picture and scenario pertaining to physical competence of adequte physical based capabilities.
    *Addicted to swimming during the summer crew.*
    *Despisement of 2nd hand smoke crew.*
    *Bring back the Commodore 64 crew.*
    *Create a new electric car/vehicle thats under 5 grand crew !*
    *I work very hard for very little pay crew. : ( *
    *I am just "Not Of" this stupid selfish world crew.*
    *I feel annoyed and disgusted of people pre-occupied with they're smart-phones crew. : / *
    *I grew up an Ultra Late Bloomer crew.*

induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) induced_drag has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Glad to see a few constructive posts.....I was beginning to think I was reading the teen section!

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    try to do what you know is correct today, don't start trying to predict the future and what it may or may not hold for you. Otherwise you will be creating your own self fulfilling prophecy.
    As if to say "I know I will quit so I may as well quit".
    Take it a day at a time, sure set goals, follow through, be consistent, if you find one day you have stopped working out, start back, dont beat yourself over the head about it.
    1st rule in life. "Do the next right thing"
    ----------
    Clean and sober since April 10 1989

T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10)

This may be true, and I thought the same thing in my 20s.
    But for many of us, other things in life sometimes seem more important than looking good... Marriage, Kids, Careers, or other things that seem to consume so much time that you can find yourself on a ten year break from working out.
    But... When you find yourself stressed out, eating, looking like sh*t and having absolutely no energy, you can start working out again and in some cases pick back up where you left off within a pretty short time!

Originally Posted by T.C. View Post
    This may be true, and I thought the same thing in my 20s.
    But for many of us, other things in life sometimes seem more important than looking good... Marriage, Kids, Careers, or other things that seem to consume so much time that you can find yourself on a ten year break from working out.
    But... When you find yourself stressed out, eating, looking like sh*t and having absolutely no energy, you can start working out again and in some cases pick back up where you left off within a pretty short time!
    Great post and EXACTLY what happened to me.

BTW......I also said I would NEVER stop working out when I was 25. I said, when I am 40 I will be in ever BETTER shape. Funny how life works......

Well after my 10 year break (that I said I would never take ) I have four more years till I hit 40. I have a little catching up to do!

Getting ready to hit deadlifts tonight at 9:00!!!!! (Late workout because cant miss kids story time )

T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10) T.C. is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Great post and EXACTLY what happened to me.

BTW......I also said I would NEVER stop working out when I was 25. I said, when I am 40 I will be in ever BETTER shape. Funny how life works......

Well after my 10 year break (that I said I would never take ) I have four more years till I hit 40. I have a little catching up to do!

Getting ready to hit deadlifts tonight at 9:00!!!!! (Late workout because cant miss kids story time )
    My current goal is to be bigger, stronger and leaner at 40 than in my younger years as well...
    Thanks to muscle memory, experience and constant research, I am just about there now and still have about a year and a half to go until 40....
    I just hope I can reach this goal without something else happening that screws up my plan!

Glad to see a few constructive posts.....I was beginning to think I was reading the teen section!

Like I said above, I can't believe I read to the end of this thread! I appreciate you sharing your story from the heart in your earlier post... that WAS constructive too, thanks.

reps.

Dan

Tell me about it... it's not story time nowadays, but there is always something! someone has a flat tire, needing advice on something, grass needs cutting...

I finished up last night like 11:30 pm.

Dan

I would be interesting if the orginal poster would respond... you always wonder if somebody even comes back and reads this stuff... even though a lot of it was in (making) fun, it really does answer his question.
    Last edited by Hey-Iwas51; 06-19-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It won't "turn to fat."

Muscles are always in a state of hypertrophy (growth) or atrophy (shrink), even in those who don't do weights. If you do weights and gain muscle size, and then lay off, you'll lose that size over roughly the same time it took you to put it on. There's no exchange of muscle to fat or vice versa.

The catch is that while training your appetite will increase. If when laying off weights you continue to eat the same amounts you ate when training, then yes you may gain additional fat - not replacement fat. But much of this depends on your metabolism, other activity levels, and general appetite. For myself, when I have layoffs my appetite plummets accordingly, so it's rarely a problem.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    It won't "turn to fat."

Muscles are always in a state of hypertrophy (growth) or atrophy (shrink), even in those who don't do weights. If you do weights and gain muscle size, and then lay off, you'll lose that size over roughly the same time it took you to put it on. There's no exchange of muscle to fat or vice versa.

The catch is that while training your appetite will increase. If when laying off weights you continue to eat the same amounts you ate when training, then yes you may gain additional fat - not replacement fat. But much of this depends on your metabolism, other activity levels, and general appetite. For myself, when I have layoffs my appetite plummets accordingly, so it's rarely a problem.
    Hey, Jack! How's it hangin', Cap'n?
    Thanks for reading,
    TomB

"If you are under-muscled and increase strength, you will gain muscle." - Anon

Also, taxation is theft.

JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To add my 2 cents to the original question....

I had to take a month off. I lost about 50% of my strength and visually decreased in size (shoulder width, forearms, etc). It was very enlightening to me.

I think the speed of the atrophy may have something to do with age...i.e. the younger you are the slower your muscles atrophy with lack of use.

Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Do_Somethin is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Possible troll?

JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10) JinNC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Until this year, I had been away from the Gym and Bodybuilding for over 2 decades. During that time I didn't take care of myself at all. I went from a lean 190ish to around 260ish and felt terrible. I often wondered what happens to 'muscle' when you quit. I've heard "if you don't use it, you loose it", so I figured it just went away.

I've been back in the gym for almost 6 months now and basically picked up where I left off with my mindset and way of Bodybuilding routine of two decades ago. The difference from then to now is that I've added a 30 minute cardio program at the end of each weightlifting session to burn fat and help the ole' heart out.

I've lost almost 60lbs and feel great. The thing that has amazed me is that, when I hit the 35lb mark in weight loss, I began to notice alot of muscle definition beginning to come through. The owner of the gym commented one day that he'd never (in all his years of owning a gym) had seen any individual transform so quickly from fat to fit. I have decided that the muscle I built years ago didn't really go away, it was just buried underneath alot of unhealthy fat!

No, I can't do the weight I did 20+ years ago; but my goals are different and I'm enjoying getting back on a healthy lifestyle track! My advice is to start now, don't wait and never quit. I wished anything that I hadn't taken 20+ years off but wished I'd kept something of a exercise routine.

jinnc
    Last edited by JinNC; 06-20-2009 at 03:34 AM.

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    Hey, Jack! How's it hangin', Cap'n?
    Went through a tough time, now re-emerging out the other side. Thanks for asking Mr. Bear.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50) phuture will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    << I had to take a month off. I lost about 50% of my strength >>

What? That seems exaggerated. Maybe the first session back. But I would assume that you're strength would come back within a week or so (muscle memory, right?).

Can anyone else comment on this?

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sure.

He probably just threw that out there without finding his current 1RM and using a calculator to find the exact percentage.
    Thanks for reading,
    TomB

"If you are under-muscled and increase strength, you will gain muscle." - Anon

Also, taxation is theft.

JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JC480 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by phuture View Post
    << I had to take a month off. I lost about 50% of my strength >>

What? That seems exaggerated. Maybe the first session back. But I would assume that you're strength would come back within a week or so (muscle memory, right?).

Can anyone else comment on this?
    It came back fast...and Marius is right. I didn't do any 1RM computations. Just saying my bench (for instance) was damn near half what I was normally doing. Not saying this will happen to everyone...was my experience.

I was back to normal lifting weight within several weeks. My size took a bit longer to come back.

thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000) thor93 is just really nice. (+1000)

Post Here's a good example to bring forth to this thread...

I came down with pnuemonia which shortly thereafter progressed to double pnuemonia.
    This was back in December of 1999.I probably actually had walking pnuemonia for a good several weeks before it became full blown pnuemonia and then the dreaded double pnuemonia,which landed me in the hospital on new years eve of 1999.

I stayed in there until the early afternoon of January 5th,2000.I was allready down to low 150's in bodyweight by then,as oppossed to the 178 i was weighing just before coming down with the illness.I basically stopped working out with weights in early december because thats when i just started feeling like total crap.Thats when i was coming down with all of that which progressed to a very very near fatal level of severity.

So,basically,i lost about 25 lbs in a mere 5 weeks.178 to low 150's.
    After i was released from the hospital,i was still eating like a bird for the next few weeks.
    I gradually started eating slightly heartier after this point and i distinctly remember weighing in at 158 around early february.Several more weeks went by and i continued eating relatively fairly well.About 2000 calories per day,but of course obviously,not ready to train yet.Then,with about 3 or 4 days left in february,i weighed myself and was pretty disappointed to see that i was stuck at 158.

I obviously needed to start working out at that point and i realized that i was finally ready to break back into it at least on a gradual basis.I was also concluding at that point that i was going to do what it took to get back to my former bodyweight as soon as possible and i realized that it was going to take weight gainer powder as well as creatine thrown into the mix along with making it a definite point of increasing my overall caloric intake to approximately the 3200-3500 range.

Well,the weight came on and so did the muscles.Within a month,i was back at 178.I gained 20 lbs in less than a month ! It took about 25 or 26 days ! A stunning accomplishment !
    The exercises i did and mainly incorporated during this initial time period were tricep dips,pushups,curls and pistol squats.

I then re-joined the gym and i was basically right back into form right from the initial getgo of my return to the gym.
    *Addicted to swimming during the summer crew.*
    *Despisement of 2nd hand smoke crew.*
    *Bring back the Commodore 64 crew.*
    *Create a new electric car/vehicle thats under 5 grand crew !*
    *I work very hard for very little pay crew. : ( *
    *I am just "Not Of" this stupid selfish world crew.*
    *I feel annoyed and disgusted of people pre-occupied with they're smart-phones crew. : / *
    *I grew up an Ultra Late Bloomer crew.*