Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000)

Vertical Jump - Training Log

Starting the VJB now, want to keep my log here for comments, and keep me going.
    Doing the "intermediate full balanced workout"

*Note* - Yes my lifts suck, but we all gotta start somewhere.

Workout A - Week 1
    Warm up: 15 minutes of basketball

High Object Jumps: 3x10
    Rythmic Lunge Jumps: 3x10 (done for each leg)
    Depth Jump: 3x5

Jump Squat: 3x12 (45, 45, 45)
    Romanian Deadlift: 3x6 (140, 140, 140)
    Squat: 3x6 (145, 145, 145)

Drank my protein shake afterwards. Really struggled to finish my whole workout. Preparing for the VJB I usually only did squats, so it was pretty tiring. I slept for 12 good hours last night too.

Current Stats
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 145 pounds
    Vert: Just under 10' rim (not sure on inches)
    I smash mics like cornbread, you can't kill me I was born dead.
    USMC

TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000)
    wrong section brah
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119333531

i rep those who post in my log often

e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000) e-bay is just really nice. (+1000)
    Its for basketball though brah, meh.
    USMC

Workout B - Week 1
    Warm up: 15 minutes of basketball

Squat: 3x6 (145, 145, 155)
    Romanian Deadlift: 3x6 (135, 145, 145)
    Jump Squat: 3x12 (45, 55, 55)

Rhythmic Lunge Jumps: 3x10 (done for each leg)

Finished just a bit ago. My lifts were A LOT easier to get done; I was able to do them easier, with more weight. Plus I noticed I had more energy after finishing all the lifts. Plyos went okay... I'm struggling with the lunge jumps though, need to email Kelly Baggett and see if I'm doing them right.

Current Stats
    Weight: 145 pounds
    Vert: Just under 10' rim (not sure on inches)
    USMC

tmjones2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmjones2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck man. I'm sort of doing my own vert stuff, a combo of VJB + Bill Starr stuff to get my squat up. You should find out your exact vert!!!! Are you doing plyos or weights first? I've heard that you should always do plyos first, then weights. My friend tore his ACL and he was doing weights first (not saying this is how he got hurt, but its something to consider).

GilZero has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    aslong as you dont get too much volume everything iwll benefit in the long run

Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Pebls is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    which routine are you doing?

beginner, intermediate, or advanced?

I think I'm gonna do the intermediate since I am close to dunking atm I just think improving my squats will help dramatically along with the plyo.. I'm hoping to be dunking by the start of next bball season

Originally Posted by tmjones2 View Post
    Good luck man. I'm sort of doing my own vert stuff, a combo of VJB + Bill Starr stuff to get my squat up. You should find out your exact vert!!!! Are you doing plyos or weights first? I've heard that you should always do plyos first, then weights.
    Yeah, I've heard to do plyos first as well. I'm doing the exercises in the order that I post them (The order they are in, in the VJB). Workout "A" has you do plyos first, and workout "B" has you do them second, so they mix up a little bit. I warm up with a little bit of basketball so I'm not too stiff.

Originally Posted by Pebls View Post
    which routine are you doing?

beginner, intermediate, or advanced?

I think I'm gonna do the intermediate since I am close to dunking atm I just think improving my squats will help dramatically along with the plyo.. I'm hoping to be dunking by the start of next bball season
    Cool man, I want to dunk too, but don't know how long it will really take me. I'm working on the "Intermediate Balanced" program.
    USMC

Workout A - Week 2
    Warm up: 5 minutes of basketball

High Object Jumps: 4x10
    Rhythmic Lunge Jumps: 4x10 (done for each leg)
    Depth Jump: 4x5

Jump Squat: 4x10 (55, 55, 65, 65)
    Romanian Deadlift: 4x5 (140, 140, 150, 150)
    Squat: 4x5 (150, 150, 150, X)

Plyometrics went great, the whole workout did until I hit the squats. I was pretty tired from the deadlifts, and should have started at 145 (I didn't get my last set of squats in). My vert has gone up though, from week 1. Only about half an inch, but its still nice to see. Ate my shake/vitamin/and a meal after working out... feel kind of bad about not being able to finish, but I'll get it next time.

Current Stats
    Weight: 141 pounds
    Vert: Able to touch 10' rim (not sure on inches)
    Last edited by e-bay; 06-14-2009 at 09:18 AM.

Roldy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roldy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roldy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Did you determine if your a 1 footed or 2 footed jumper? i think that would greatly help you in your quest to dunk because it looks like you need more strength, based on your lifting stats (not trying to be an ass) meaning you could be a 1 footed jumper. This is just my 2 cents.

JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by e-bay View Post
    Current Stats
    Weight: 141 pounds
    Vert: Able to touch 10' rim (not sure on inches)
    10' and you don't know the inches?

What has the world come to.

120 inches.

Provoked1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Provoked1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JakeA View Post

120 inches.
    lolwut? I think he is referring to how many inches his vert is. Not how high the rim is in inches.

Originally Posted by Roldy View Post
    Did you determine if your a 1 footed or 2 footed jumper? i think that would greatly help you in your quest to dunk because it looks like you need more strength, based on your lifting stats (not trying to be an ass) meaning you could be a 1 footed jumper. This is just my 2 cents.
    I'm a two footed jumper. Yeah I know, I'm pretty damn weak, but that's the point of this.

Originally Posted by JakeA View Post

120 inches.
    My vertical jump isn't 120 inches. Don't post in here if your only intent is to be an *******. Thanks.

Roldy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roldy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roldy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh i didnt realize you are only 145lbs thats not that bad considering your now squatting your bodyweight, thats actually a pretty good start your off too then.

When I started my strength training i was only doing the bar the first week and then only proceeded to go on to 135 after 2 weeks...haha. Now im box squatting 315 and have no idea what my regular full squat is. Ive kept consistent for about 7 months with my strength training to try and dunk and today was a big milestone for me, I was able to fully grab the rim with both hands. Good luck on your endeavor and don't give up, be patient with this because i know from first hand experience this takes a long time. I'll be subscribing to your thread and checking up on it periodically to see what your progress has been.

Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aedius will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm a two footed jumper. Yeah I know, I'm pretty damn weak, but that's the point of this.

My vertical jump isn't 120 inches. Don't post in here if your only intent is to be an *******. Thanks.
    120 inches is the height of a basketball hoop in inches... basketball hoop = 10 feet high, 12 inches per foot; pretty easy math...

If you measure the length between your fingertips and the top of your head when you are holding one of your arms straight up, and then add that length to your height (5'11", 71 inches), you can use that number to subtract from 120 inches to find your verticle.

Illmetaphor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illmetaphor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illmetaphor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Illmetaphor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Two Foot Jumping is a lot harder than 1 ft.

TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000) TheSoldier is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Illmetaphor View Post
    Two Foot Jumping is a lot harder than 1 ft.
    everyones different bro, some ppl find it easier with one, some easier wit 2
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119333531

i rep those who post in my log often

It's been a full week now, update the public about your vertical training!

JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeA will become famous soon enough. (+50)

You said " Vert: Able to touch 10' rim (not sure on inches) "

That's the easiest conversion inches to feet other than 1 foot. The goal is 120 inches off the ground, measure your vertical reach and subtract.

Try to read into simple math more before you come across looking like a total tool.

Originally Posted by Aedius View Post
    120 inches is the height of a basketball hoop in inches... basketball hoop = 10 feet high, 12 inches per foot; pretty easy math...

If you measure the length between your fingertips and the top of your head when you are holding one of your arms straight up, and then add that length to your height (5'11", 71 inches), you can use that number to subtract from 120 inches to find your verticle.
    haha i posted this way after you and didn't even notice that you posted until now.

repped.

Originally Posted by Roldy View Post
    It's been a full week now, update the public about your vertical training!
    Update

I've continued my training, but just with increasing my lifts on a 3x6 scale. I've been playing a lot of basketball lately, and it's throwing off my training. When I get back from camping I am going to restart, with the Intermediate Strength Program, due to me playing basketball daily, plyometrics training is a little overkill. My vert has stayed pretty neutral, getting rim is fairly easy at the moment, and I'm feeling really good, eating well, and have a lot of energy.

I still want your guys support, I'm not going to give up.

Moknu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let me know how this program goes for you, im looking to increase my vert also. Im about 3-5 inches (depending on the day) short of hitting the rim so i hope this works for you so i can try it
    -The Moknu
    "Go Big or Go Home!"

July '07- 210 lbs. 24% Body Fat
    Dec. '07- 182 lbs. 14% Body Fat
    Jan. '08- 179 lbs.

Update

Been working out well. Vacations get in the way, and halter progress a little bit... but staying motivated.

Today
    Squat - 135 x 6, 165 x 6, 180 x 6, 155 x 6
    Deadlift - 165 x 6, 165 x 6, 165 x 6

And some basketball to fill in my plyos

My Squat is up almost 40 pounds since when I started... but I would still have hoped for better improvement. I have also only gained about an inch on my vertical from the beginning. I'm happy for it, but my goal of 225 doesn't seem like it will get me too far. Just gotta keep lifting, once my lifts are respectable I will take a more professional approach.

July 28
    Squat - 165 x 6, 185 x 6, 155 x 6
    Deadlift - 160 x 6, 210 x 6, 160 x 8

My lower back is actually pretty strong, no known reason, but I don't like doing deadlifts. Today I just said **** it, and threw on another 50 pounds, and did my reps. Feels good man. Squats were a little bit hard, but I still got a new max. I was also messing around on the court, and was able to grab the rim with my hand and hang on (after working out too). Very happy day...

34Waleed34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 34Waleed34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It doesn't matter if you can grab rim, you are still going to need atleast 6 more inches to slam.

You should continue with your vjb program. I am on the 3rd week and i slammed yesterday

Originally Posted by 34Waleed34 View Post
    It doesn't matter if you can grab rim, you are still going to need atleast 6 more inches to slam.

You should continue with your vjb program. I am on the 3rd week and i slammed yesterday
    Advice taken. Thanks brah. What program you doing, and what are your lifts at?

Workout A - Week 1
    Warm up: shoot-around

Rythmic Lunge Jumps: 3x10 (done for each leg)

Jump Squat: 3x12 (65, 65, 65)
    Romanian Deadlift: 3x6 (155, 185, 205)
    Squat: 3x6 (155, 165, 175)

Kicked my ass. But I guess that's a reason to stay with it. Everything was fun, but my squat is going nowhere. I'm staying right around 180, and it is very difficult. Should I warm up with less weight or what? Had fun working out today though..

Edit - I'm at like 139 pounds now, so I think I just need to eat more so I can build up some muscle, and get my squat moving again. Can't make progress while losing weight.
    Last edited by e-bay; 08-02-2009 at 11:48 PM.

TruculentTrev has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do plyometrics. box jumps. also hack squats and lunges.
    need to do alot of calve work cuz thats your main jumping muscle.

6' can dunk on 10 ft.
    33" ish vertical
    I'm a 6' white boy that can dunk a basketball on 10ft...

"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens."

Arnold Schwarzenegger

ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000) ClevageGobbler is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by TruculentTrev View Post

6' can dunk on 10 ft.
    33" ish vertical
    They say your quads are the main. Back in the 8th grade I did lunges for 8 minutes str8 everyday and i was an inch away from rim. I was about 5'9 at the time. I didn't work my calves at all so i truly doubt it's the main muscle
    Word is Bond

Lakers - Mackin' on your favorite team since 1947

Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sbagri will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TruculentTrev View Post

6' can dunk on 10 ft.
    33" ish vertical
    sorry no offense, but dont listen to this. Calves arent the main muscle. Work on posterior chain, quads. Keep doin the vjb, it addresses everything you need. Getting your squat up will help alot.

34Waleed34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 34Waleed34 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    calves do nothing for you.
    If your a 2 leg jumper quads are really important
    If your a 1 leg jumper then glutes, hamstrings, and some calf