Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000)

Maintain/gain while losing a bit of fat

First to start off im in a toss up, I can never decide what to do when it comes to this point in the year. I wanna look great for summer but i dont wanna do a cut, because honestly I dont need a full out cut. I weight about 170 and im 6'1, i bench around 270 just to give you an idea of strength. But my question is, I wanna look great for summer but I also have a small layer of fat over my stomach primarily in the lower pocket...what should I do, because everyone I talk to says "YOU CRAZY CUTTING AT 6'1 170!!!!?" So I'm just unsure what I should do...

Currently im working out 4 times a week, taking cellmass creatine/100%whey protein/some gnc vitamins, and takin in about 2000-2500 calories a day/200g protein...

Suggestions please?

BluE99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would be one of those guys, "what? cut at 6'1 and 170 lbs?" I almost feel like I'm in the same boat, except I'm 6'3 at 205 lbs, so not exactly the same boat. If I were you I would probably go for a mild cut. I dont think it would take much of a calorie reduction for you to slowly lose fat as long as your eating properly and exercising. Also, Low Intensity Cardio, in my opinion...essential. And overall just be patient with it. I recently went on a cut for 4 weeks, eating about 1700-1800 calories a day, I went from 217 lbs to 205 but I lost a lot more strength than I wanted. Now I'm going to shoot for 2000-2200 calories to lose weight. Anyways, hope I was of some help. Good luck
    Coolin, under the sun havin big fun soakin it in...
    Coolin, and when its done, we're gonna do it all over again...

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Recomp.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20966

In a nutshell, it's about cycling calories - the simple approach is one week on high calories, one week on low calories.

Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000) Bdawg22 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BluE99 View Post
    I would be one of those guys, "what? cut at 6'1 and 170 lbs?" I almost feel like I'm in the same boat, except I'm 6'3 at 205 lbs, so not exactly the same boat. If I were you I would probably go for a mild cut. I dont think it would take much of a calorie reduction for you to slowly lose fat as long as your eating properly and exercising. Also, Low Intensity Cardio, in my opinion...essential. And overall just be patient with it. I recently went on a cut for 4 weeks, eating about 1700-1800 calories a day, I went from 217 lbs to 205 but I lost a lot more strength than I wanted. Now I'm going to shoot for 2000-2200 calories to lose weight. Anyways, hope I was of some help. Good luck
    Ya, sounds like the same boat to me. I mean honestly all I think i'd have to lose is...5 lbs maybe even less of fat to be cut up. So I guess i'll just cut down to about 1800-2200 calories a day and walk 30 mins to an hour on my off days of lifting. We'll see how that goes, haha im gonna be hella hungry all the time though I'm sure of it.

bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bdawg22 View Post
    Ya, sounds like the same boat to me. I mean honestly all I think i'd have to lose is...5 lbs maybe even less of fat to be cut up. So I guess i'll just cut down to about 1800-2200 calories a day and walk 30 mins to an hour on my off days of lifting. We'll see how that goes, haha im gonna be hella hungry all the time though I'm sure of it.
    Make sure you are drinking a gallon of water a day. Keep your protien high. 1 to 1.5 grams per LBM. Stay away from bread, white rice white potatos, corn, or anything else made of flour. Your 2 highest carb meals should be breakfast and post workout. Good carbs are anything green, sweet potatoes, red skins, yams, squash.

Now, rotate your carb intake with 3 low days followed by a high day. At your height and weight, I would do 50g carbs for 3 days followed by 150g carb day. Taper your meals so that your breakfast is the highest carb meal and then tapper downward, so that each meals carb intake is less that the meal before.

Try going for a brisk walk after your last meal of the day, so you are not taking any caleries to bed that will be stored as fat. Chromium and alpha liptic acid with your last meal also help with glycogen despensing.

As long as your protien intake is good you will not loose any muscle.

Hope this helps. Good luck
    John 3:16-18
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be save through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
    Make sure you are drinking a gallon of water a day. Keep your protien high. 1 to 1.5 grams per LBM. Stay away from bread, white rice white potatos, corn, or anything else made of flour. Your 2 highest carb meals should be breakfast and post workout. Good carbs are anything green, sweet potatoes, red skins, yams, squash.

Now, rotate your carb intake with 3 low days followed by a high day. At your height and weight, I would do 50g carbs for 3 days followed by 150g carb day. Taper your meals so that your breakfast is the highest carb meal and then tapper downward, so that each meals carb intake is less that the meal before.

Try going for a brisk walk after your last meal of the day, so you are not taking any caleries to bed that will be stored as fat. Chromium and alpha liptic acid with your last meal also help with glycogen despensing.

As long as your protien intake is good you will not loose any muscle.

Hope this helps. Good luck
    Thank you very much, i've posted multiple threads like this and no one has givin advice like this in detail, exactly what I needed. Questions, are wheat breads/wholegrain breads acceptable carbs? What would you suggest for a breakfast? Peanut butter for this diet yes or no, even if it is no hydro oils or whatever? What would you suggest as a calorie intake with low carb days and high carb days? I also take cell mass creatine postwork out and 100% whey protein with low carbs+ gnc vitamins, are these good for this diet?
    Last edited by Bdawg22; 05-22-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In my opinion, you can recomp without fluctuating calorie targets week by week - just keep your calorie target the same week after week and continue to lift. You _will_ build muscle, and in turn, burn fat. Just takes time. I am doing that now, at 5'9"/170lbs. My goal isn't to gain or lose weight, just build muscle. So far, so good.
    --- Nick ---

bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bear1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lose Fat

Thank you very much, i've posted multiple threads like this and no one has givin advice like this in detail, exactly what I needed. Questions, are wheat breads/wholegrain breads acceptable carbs? What would you suggest for a breakfast? Peanut butter for this diet yes or no, even if it is no hydro oils or whatever? What would you suggest as a calorie intake with low carb days and high carb days? I also take cell mass creatine postwork out and 100% whey protein with low carbs+ gnc vitamins, are these good for this diet?
    First of all, this carb rotation diet is not something you would do for more than 30 days. This is just something you are going to do to flex that 6 pack for the honeys at the beach. After the 30 days, go back to a higher carb diet. If you lower your celeries you will only slow down your metabolism. By lowering your carbs for 3 days you will train your body to burn fat for fuel. After the 3 days you want to raise the carbs for one day which will spike your glycogen levels, filling your muscles back out and boost your metabolism.

A few warnings. You may be a little hungry on the low carb days at first. Even when you're full, your body will crave carbs, but just keep thinking 6 pack. Another thing, as your body fat drops, you may get a little weaker lifting weight, but don't worry. Your body will stabilize and you will regain your strength. Remember that shedding body fat means losing weight, but the more shredded you are, the bigger you will look. Your waist will be narrower, and your whole body will be shredded. You also have to remember that you cannot gain muscle and loose fat. Some people may argue this, but with my 20 years of experience I have yet to do it. And believe me, I've tried. In order to grow you need a high carb, high protein diet. In order to drop body fat, you have to drop your carbs and force your body to burn your fat for fuel. (You cannot have your cake and eat it too.) Finally, this is not an easy thing to do or more people would be walking around with 6 packs. If you are doing everything right, you are going to feel like crap. This diet is going to take an extreme amount of discipline.

Now, as far as the diet goes, there is a lot you can do to shed that extra layer of body fat. It all depends on how fast your metabolism is, and how aggressive you want to be with loosing the fat. I'm going to list a bunch of things you can do. You can do all or as many of these things as you want; again, it all depends on how aggressively you want to do this. I would not do cardio and the diet at the same time at first. If you are not used to doing cardio every day, and you start a diet and cardio every day, your body may freak out and hoard body fat instead of burning it. If you are doing cardio everyday, then don't worry about it. You just don't want to shock your system. If you are not doing cardio every day, then I would start out with the diet first, and then monitor your progress. If you need to lose more, then later add the cardio. Plus, if you start out doing both and you have great success, you will not know which one it was that helped you. By doing one and then the other, you will have a better idea of how your body responds to them.

The diet:
    No corn or corn products. No bread at all. No white flour, whole grain or whole wheat products what so ever. No breaded products like, breaded chicken, or breaded fish. Nothing fried. No dairy products. No milk, yogurt, cheese, or any other dairy product. No white rice. No White potatoes. No pasta of any kind. No peanut butter. No vegetable oil or butter. No egg yolks or any other kind of fat. Stay away from anything instant. No instant oatmeal. Stay away from TV dinners. Stay away from sugar or anything with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, glucose, fructose, or dextrose. No meal replacement bars(they are loaded with sugar). You basically want to stay away from bad fats, sugars, and low glycemic carbs.

OK, you need to establish your protein intake. You need 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every pound of LBM(lean body mass). Your LBM is your body weight minus your body fat. A 200 lbs man with 10% body fat has a LBM of 180 lbs, because 200 minus 10% is 180. If you don't know what your body fat is, you can just take an educated guess. Therefore, a LBM of 180 lbs would require 180 to 270 grams of protein a day to maintain.(1 to 1.5 grams per lbs)

Let?s say you have a LBM of 150 lbs. That is a daily protein intake of 150 grams to 225 grams a day. Now divide that by 6 meals and you get 38 grams per meal. You could do 5 meals a day but 6 would be better. That's every 2.5 to 3 hours.
    Your meal plan should look like this:
    Meal 1: 38 g protein
    Meal 2: 38 g protein
    Meal 3: 38 g protein
    Meal 4: 38 g protein
    Meal 5: 38 g protein
    Meal 6: 38 g protein
    You can supplement 1 or 2 meals with a whey protein shake.

Half of your daily carb intake should be divided into 2 meals. Breakfast and your post workout meal. Your high days will be 150g carbs. Your low days will be 50g carbs.
    Your meal plan for 150g carb day should look like this:
    Meal 1: 38g protein, 37.5g carbs (breakfast)
    Meal 2: 38g protein, 30 g carbs
    Meal 3: 38g protein, 20 g carbs
    Meal 4: 38g protein, 37.5 g carbs (post work out)
    Meal 5: 38g protein, 15 g carbs
    Meal 6: 38g protein, 10 g carbs

Your meal plan for 50g carb day should look like this:
    Meal 1: 38g protein, 12.5 g carbs (breakfast)
    Meal 2: 38g protein, 8 g carbs
    Meal 3: 38g protein, 8 g carbs
    Meal 4: 38g protein, 12.5 g carbs (post work out)
    Meal 5: 38g protein, 8 g carbs
    Meal 6: 38g protein, NO CARBS

Brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, or any similar vegetable has 2 carbs for every oz.
    Red skins 5.6g carbs for every 1oz.
    Sweet potato 5g carbs for every 1 oz
    brown rice 6.5g carbs for every 1 oz
    Dry old fashioned oat meal 13.5g carbs for every 1 oz

Grilled lean round steak(very tuff) 7.8g of protein for 1 oz
    Grilled boneless, skinless, chicken breast 7.7g of protein for 1 oz
    Tuna fish: 7.2g per 1 oz
    Baked fish: 6.2g per 1 oz
    1 egg white: 2.5g protein

1 gram carb=4 calories 1 gram protein=4 calories 1 gram fat=9 calories

Protein is the building blocks for muscles. Carbs do one of three things. They turn to glycogen and go to the muscles, get burned as energy, or they get stored as fat. When you eat fat, the fat does not metabolize well, so it gets stored as fat.

You are going to need a good food scale. I got a pretty good one at bed, bath and beyond for $5. It's a good idea to prepare your meals in advance the night before, and then put them in Tupperware. I got some Tupperware from wall mart, 2 for $1. I write on the lids with an erasable marker so I know what time to eat which meal. I grill all my meats every couple of days, then measure it all out, put it in the Tupperware and then into the fridge until I need it. If I'm going to be out, I have a lunch box cooler that I stack my Tupperware in, and take with me.

For breakfast on a high carb day:
    2.7 oz dry old fashioned oatmeal
    2.3 oz grilled lean round steak
    8 egg whites

For breakfast on a Low carb day:
    1 oz dry old fashioned oatmeal
    8 egg whites

The rest of the meals I pretty much eat chicken or tuna. 5 oz of grilled chicken is 38g of protein. As far as carbs go I eat everything I listed above. You just have to weigh it out and make sure you're getting your numbers.

On low days I pretty much stay away from potatoes and brown rice. I just eat salad with a no carb dressing, and green vegetables.

Now you want to make sure you are supplementing with good fats, especially on the low carb days.
    Good fats: almonds flax seed oil, fish oil

You want to make sure your total fat percentage for each day is 18%-20%

A good tool on the web to use is fitday dot com This will help you keep track of everything, and then if you're not sure about a certain food you can look it up here.

As far as cardio goes, you want to make sure, whatever you do, that you have your heart rate up for a good 35 to 40 min.

Cardio should be done every day and twice a day on off weight training days.

The best time to do cardio is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The second best time to do cardio is at night after your last meal. If you are going to combine cardio with your weight training at the gym, then weight train first and then do your cardio.

Another technique to boost your metabolism is to split up your weight training to 2 a day. If you were going to go to the gym and work out tri's and chest. Then, split it up so you do chest, and then go back to the gym later and do tri's. This works the best when you can go in early and then go back at night.

Recommended sups:
    Cytolean by Gaspari, great for all around energy, appetite cravings and mental focus.
    Animal Cuts by Universal Nutrition, for a more aggressive approach. Very effective.
    Last edited by bear1; 05-23-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be save through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

First of all, this carb rotation diet is not something you would do for more than 30 days. This is just something you are going to do to flex that 6 pack for the honeys at the beach. After the 30 days, go back to a higher carb diet. If you lower your celeries you will only slow down your metabolism. By lowering your carbs for 3 days you will train your body to burn fat for fuel. After the 3 days you want to raise the carbs for one day which will spike your glycogen levels, filling your muscles back out and boost your metabolism.

A few warnings. You may be a little hungry on the low carb days at first. Even when you're full, your body will crave carbs, but just keep thinking 6 pack. Another thing, as your body fat drops, you may get a little weaker lifting weight, but don't worry. Your body will stabilize and you will regain your strength. Remember that shedding body fat means losing weight, but the more shredded you are, the bigger you will look. Your waist will be narrower, and your whole body will be shredded. You also have to remember that you cannot gain muscle and loose fat. Some people may argue this, but with my 20 years of experience I have yet to do it. And believe me, I've tried. In order to grow you need a high carb, high protein diet. In order to drop body fat, you have to drop your carbs and force your body to burn your fat for fuel. (You cannot have your cake and eat it too.) Finally, this is not an easy thing to do or more people would be walking around with 6 packs. If you are doing everything right, you are going to feel like crap. This diet is going to take an extreme amount of discipline.

Now, as far as the diet goes, there is a lot you can do to shed that extra layer of body fat. It all depends on how fast your metabolism is, and how aggressive you want to be with loosing the fat. I'm going to list a bunch of things you can do. You can do all or as many of these things as you want; again, it all depends on how aggressively you want to do this. I would not do cardio and the diet at the same time at first. If you are not used to doing cardio every day, and you start a diet and cardio every day, your body may freak out and hoard body fat instead of burning it. If you are doing cardio everyday, then don't worry about it. You just don't want to shock your system. If you are not doing cardio every day, then I would start out with the diet first, and then monitor your progress. If you need to lose more, then later add the cardio. Plus, if you start out doing both and you have great success, you will not know which one it was that helped you. By doing one and then the other, you will have a better idea of how your body responds to them.

The diet:
    No corn or corn products. No bread at all. No white flour, whole grain or whole wheat products what so ever. No breaded products like, breaded chicken, or breaded fish. Nothing fried. No dairy products. No milk, yogurt, cheese, or any other dairy product. No white rice. No White potatoes. No pasta of any kind. No peanut butter. No vegetable oil or butter. No egg yolks or any other kind of fat. Stay away from anything instant. No instant oatmeal. Stay away from TV dinners. Stay away from sugar or anything with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, glucose, fructose, or dextrose. No meal replacement bars(they are loaded with sugar). You basically want to stay away from bad fats, sugars, and low glycemic carbs.

OK, you need to establish your protein intake. You need 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every pound of LBM(lean body mass). Your LBM is your body weight minus your body fat. A 200 lbs man with 10% body fat has a LBM of 180 lbs, because 200 minus 10% is 180. If you don't know what your body fat is, you can just take an educated guess. Therefore, a LBM of 180 lbs would require 180 to 270 grams of protein a day to maintain.(1 to 1.5 grams per lbs)

Let?s say you have a LBM of 150 lbs. That is a daily protein intake of 150 grams to 225 grams a day. Now divide that by 6 meals and you get 38 grams per meal. You could do 5 meals a day but 6 would be better. That's every 2.5 to 3 hours.
    Your meal plan should look like this:
    Meal 1: 38 g protein
    Meal 2: 38 g protein
    Meal 3: 38 g protein
    Meal 4: 38 g protein
    Meal 5: 38 g protein
    Meal 6: 38 g protein
    You can supplement 1 or 2 meals with a whey protein shake.

Half of your daily carb intake should be divided into 2 meals. Breakfast and your post workout meal. Your high days will be 150g carbs. Your low days will be 50g carbs.
    Your meal plan for 150g carb day should look like this:
    Meal 1: 38g protein, 37.5g carbs (breakfast)
    Meal 2: 38g protein, 30 g carbs
    Meal 3: 38g protein, 20 g carbs
    Meal 4: 38g protein, 37.5 g carbs (post work out)
    Meal 5: 38g protein, 15 g carbs
    Meal 6: 38g protein, 10 g carbs

Your meal plan for 50g carb day should look like this:
    Meal 1: 38g protein, 12.5 g carbs (breakfast)
    Meal 2: 38g protein, 8 g carbs
    Meal 3: 38g protein, 8 g carbs
    Meal 4: 38g protein, 12.5 g carbs (post work out)
    Meal 5: 38g protein, 8 g carbs
    Meal 6: 38g protein, NO CARBS

Brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, or any similar vegetable has 2 carbs for every oz.
    Red skins 5.6g carbs for every 1oz.
    Sweet potato 5g carbs for every 1 oz
    brown rice 6.5g carbs for every 1 oz
    Dry old fashioned oat meal 13.5g carbs for every 1 oz

Grilled lean round steak(very tuff) 7.8g of protein for 1 oz
    Grilled boneless, skinless, chicken breast 7.7g of protein for 1 oz
    Tuna fish: 7.2g per 1 oz
    Baked fish: 6.2g per 1 oz
    1 egg white: 2.5g protein

1 gram carb=4 calories 1 gram protein=4 calories 1 gram fat=9 calories

Protein is the building blocks for muscles. Carbs do one of three things. They turn to glycogen and go to the muscles, get burned as energy, or they get stored as fat. When you eat fat, the fat does not metabolize well, so it gets stored as fat.

You are going to need a good food scale. I got a pretty good one at bed, bath and beyond for $5. It's a good idea to prepare your meals in advance the night before, and then put them in Tupperware. I got some Tupperware from wall mart, 2 for $1. I write on the lids with an erasable marker so I know what time to eat which meal. I grill all my meats every couple of days, then measure it all out, put it in the Tupperware and then into the fridge until I need it. If I'm going to be out, I have a lunch box cooler that I stack my Tupperware in, and take with me.

For breakfast on a high carb day:
    2.7 oz dry old fashioned oatmeal
    8 egg whites

For breakfast on a Low carb day:
    1 oz dry old fashioned oatmeal
    8 egg whites

The rest of the meals I pretty much eat chicken or tuna. 5 oz of grilled chicken is 38g of protein. As far as carbs go I eat everything I listed above. You just have to weigh it out and make sure you're getting your numbers.

On low days I pretty much stay away from potatoes and brown rice. I just eat salad with a no carb dressing, and green vegetables.

Now you want to make sure you are supplementing with good fats, especially on the low carb days.
    Good fats: almonds flax seed oil, fish oil

You want to make sure your total fat percentage for each day is 18%-20%

A good tool on the web to use is fitday dot com This will help you keep track of everything, and then if you're not sure about a certain food you can look it up here.

As far as cardio goes, you want to make sure, whatever you do, that you have your heart rate up for a good 35 to 40 min.

Cardio should be done every day and twice a day on off weight training days.

The best time to do cardio is first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The second best time to do cardio is at night after your last meal. If you are going to combine cardio with your weight training at the gym, then weight train first and then do your cardio.

Another technique to boost your metabolism is to split up your weight training to 2 a day. If you were going to go to the gym and work out tri's and chest. Then, split it up so you do chest, and then go back to the gym later and do tri's. This works the best when you can go in early and then go back at night.

Recommended sups:
    Cytolean by Gaspari, great for all around energy, appetite cravings and mental focus.
    Animal Cuts by Universal Nutrition, for a more aggressive approach. Very effective.
    Sweet man, thank you very much honestly helps a ton. I'll be starting this tomorrow, what is almond flax seed oil? Is it like a pill or something, I know I have some omega three fish oil pills in my house are those what your talking about for the healthy fats? Also my job is pretty strenuous work, I walk around replacing meters at houses for 8 hours a day with a 40 lb bag spending about 2-3 mins at each house, should I intake a little more carbs as I will most likely be burning more then the average guy sitting at a desk for work? Or should i just count that as my cardio on my training days?
    Last edited by Bdawg22; 05-24-2009 at 12:34 PM.

Oh and also what are some other high carb things to eat? That are good for ya

Today it went like this.
    Here are hte totals.

ate 5 egg whites
    4-5 ounces of broccoli (dont have a scale yet)
    1 cup dry oatmeal
    16 ounces or so of skinless chicken.
    3 100% whey protein shakes with water
    a can of tuna
    approximately 1 cup of brown rice

I counted all the things I ate as best as i could and got these totals
    118 carbs (need to work on hitting 150, i found it hard with the few things I had available today)
    173 protein (need to get a lil more on this also)
    2 fish oil pills, 2 gnc vitamins and cellmass creatine
    120+ ounces of water

I need to get some almonds but I don't know what to buy yet exactly. But thats how it went today.
    Tomorrow and the following 2 days will be my low carb days so i think I'll have an easier time hitting my numbers.
    Any advice from what you see would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Bdawg22; 05-25-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A good way to do this, and actually the way I do it, is to train like an athlete sort of speak. Look at football players, sprinters, and even some basketball players(the one who lift consistantly)...they have great muscle mass and are very lean. Do you wonder why? I mean besides the whole excuse of "they all have super human genetics"...I'm sure athletes dont go thry "bulking" and "cutting" cycles like body builders do. By training like an athlete, I mean lift heavy and intense, get an adequate amount of cardio(perferably HIIT), and eat right and enough to energize your workouts. I think in the long run, this is the best way to have and maintain a lean, muscular physique.

Originally Posted by Nick1971 View Post
    In my opinion, you can recomp without fluctuating calorie targets week by week - just keep your calorie target the same week after week and continue to lift. You _will_ build muscle, and in turn, burn fat. Just takes time. I am doing that now, at 5'9"/170lbs. My goal isn't to gain or lose weight, just build muscle. So far, so good.
    This isnt bad, the only problem is that after awhile(a soon while actually), your body wont be seeing agains from this anymore because you'll need more calories to see continued muscle gains.
    Ravens fan and Gators fan 4 life

***Florida Gators Crew***

Sweet man, thank you very much honestly helps a ton. I'll be starting this tomorrow, what is almond flax seed oil? Is it like a pill or something, I know I have some omega three fish oil pills in my house are those what your talking about for the healthy fats? Also my job is pretty strenuous work, I walk around replacing meters at houses for 8 hours a day with a 40 lb bag spending about 2-3 mins at each house, should I intake a little more carbs as I will most likely be burning more then the average guy sitting at a desk for work? Or should i just count that as my cardio on my training days?
    There was supposed to be a coma after almonds. Almonds are nuts. Flax seed oil and fish oil are also good sources of omega 3s.

You don't want to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week. If you are loosing more than that, then increase your carbs by 20 grams.

If you are not used to eating every 2.5 to 3 hours, chances are you maybe taking in more carbs with this diet than what you were before. You may even start to gain some weight. If so, then lower your carbs by 20 grams.

Try it for a week or two and then adjust according, but make small adjustments. Don't ever do anything drastic.
    Last edited by bear1; 05-26-2009 at 09:09 PM.

There was supposed to be a coma after almonds. Almonds are nuts. Flax seed oil and fish oil are also good sources of omega 3s.

You don't want to lose more than 2-3 pounds a week. If you are loosing more than that, then increase your carbs by 20 grams.

If you are not used to eating every 2.5 to 3 hours, chances are you maybe taking in more carbs with this diet than what you were before. You may even start to gain some weight. If so, then lower your carbs by 20 grams.

Try it for a week or two and then adjust according, but make small adjustments. Don't ever do anything drastic.
    Ya, I don't think I'll have problem on the eating more carbs then before as 50 for 3 days and 150 for a day rotating is drastically lower then what I had been taking before. I never counted but im sure of it as I ate breads/dairy as a good 3/4ths my regular diet. As for the losing more then 2-3 lbs I'll monitor that this week and see what I end at. I bought a bunch of stuff today to help me get a variety of things to eat. With this being the first strict diet I have been on I have intense cravings for food that actually tastes decent or is a meal, but I'll get through it for a month, all or nothing, I will not cheat haha. But so far it has been pretty decent its my 2nd day of strict diet and I don't feel too underfed. Today i consumed 58 carbs and 200g protein, need to get the carbs down a bit and protein perhaps even a little higher. One question though, is the best way to get a weight from the scale to take it in the morning every time? Because my weight changes anywhere from 165-170 on an hourly basis.

Alright i hopped on the scale Wednesday weighing in at 164 (dunno what i really was at the start of this (monday) guessing 168 or so), today (Thursday) i hopped on the scale and weighed 162.4. We will see what tomorrow ends up being and i'll vary the diet accordingly. But as of now it looks like i need to add quite a bit of carbs maybe 30...? Because if I'm not mistaken, I'm losing too much weight, this is including no cardio whatsoever minus my very physical full time job. I did go to the gym today though and don't seem to have lost really hardly any strength, i was repping at about the same weights with a tiny bit more of a struggle.

Wednesday morning weight
    Thursday morning
    Friday morning

So it looks like im going down about a pound and a half a day which probably is too much but I actually kinda like how my stomach is changing, still no clear abs but its getting there. I should probably eat a lil more to keep it to about -.5 lbs a day, sound right? I am very impressed with my bodies reaction to dieting having never done it though.
    Last edited by Bdawg22; 05-29-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Bear1 I dont know what to do I dont feel like i should weigh under 160 at 6'1...honestly and my abs are still now showing...I know I lose the weight too fast and I'm going to vary the diet accordingly, but it seems like 170 is already a pretty small weight for someone 6'1...check out the pic I attach and tell me what you think...
    Attached Images

Ya, I don't think I'll have problem on the eating more carbs then before as 50 for 3 days and 150 for a day rotating is drastically lower then what I had been taking before. I never counted but im sure of it as I ate breads/dairy as a good 3/4ths my regular diet. As for the losing more then 2-3 lbs I'll monitor that this week and see what I end at. I bought a bunch of stuff today to help me get a variety of things to eat. With this being the first strict diet I have been on I have intense cravings for food that actually tastes decent or is a meal, but I'll get through it for a month, all or nothing, I will not cheat haha. But so far it has been pretty decent its my 2nd day of strict diet and I don't feel too underfed. Today i consumed 58 carbs and 200g protein, need to get the carbs down a bit and protein perhaps even a little higher. One question though, is the best way to get a weight from the scale to take it in the morning every time? Because my weight changes anywhere from 165-170 on an hourly basis.
    Yeah, the best time to weigh your self is the morning after you use the bathroom and before you eat or drink. And remember to keep your water intake up to a gallon a day. Just fill a gallon jug of water and drink it all day until it's gone. If you don't drink water, your body will hold it. When you flush your body with water, your body will release it.

Yeah, the best time to weigh your self is the morning after you use the bathroom and before you eat or drink. And remember to keep your water intake up to a gallon a day. Just fill a gallon jug of water and drink it all day until it's gone. If you don't drink water, your body will hold it. When you flush your body with water, your body will release it.
    What do you think though honestly...Do i just not have the abs to cut for? I stopped the strict diet because I didn't wanna go under 160 but am still sticking to it a lil with being less strict and have gotten back up to 165. Kinda panicked and didn't think I should lose anymore weight...I'll add a few more pics so you can see a little more of where I'm at.

Here are a few more.
    Attached Images

Bear1 I dont know what to do I dont feel like i should weigh under 160 at 6'1...honestly and my abs are still now showing...I know I lose the weight too fast and I'm going to vary the diet accordingly, but it seems like 170 is already a pretty small weight for someone 6'1...check out the pic I attach and tell me what you think...
    You don't want to lose more than 1 or 2 pounds a week. If you have been eating a lot of bread before, then what you are losing right now is mostly water. You were already pretty light to begin with for your height, but you wanted abs. If your protein intake is good then you won?t lose muscle. You have to make the decision to bulk or cut. You can't do both. If you want abs, it looks like you're carrying another 10 pounds around your mid-section, so that means dropping another 10 pounds. You haven?t wasted your time or your money as of this point. Now you know how to eat. If you want to grow, keep the protein the same and up your carbs until you stop losing weight, and then add a few more carbs each week until you start to gain 1 pound a week. Just eating clean on a regular diet is going to do wonders for your physique compared to what you were eating before.

I don't really like dieting down at first because I feel small, but as the cuts and striations start to come out I feel a little better about myself, and you actually look bigger. If I wear a long sleeve shirt and see someone I haven?t seen in a while, they will notice the weight lose, but if I wear a tank to the gym people ask if I have gained weight even though I've lost 20 lbs.

If you want, follow along with my progress pics. I am on this diet right now and I have already lost 10 pounds in the last few weeks. I will be posting a pic each week until my contest in 7 weeks. That way you can see the transformation. Good work and good luck.

Here are a few more.
    These pics look a lot better than the first one. You did a good job man. I'm proud of you. You look great, but you're right, abs are muscles, and it takes time to develop a solid muscular frame. I wouldn't try to lose any more. I would keep the diet clean and just play around with your carbs. Just keeping your protein at what it should be is going to develop the muscle you want. Good work.

You don't want to lose more than 1 or 2 pounds a week. If you have been eating a lot of bread before, then what you are losing right now is mostly water. You were already pretty light to begin with for your height, but you wanted abs. If your protein intake is good then you won?t lose muscle. You have to make the decision to bulk or cut. You can't do both. If you want abs, it looks like you're carrying another 10 pounds around your mid-section, so that means dropping another 10 pounds. You haven?t wasted your time or your money as of this point. Now you know how to eat. If you want to grow, keep the protein the same and up your carbs until you stop losing weight, and then add a few more carbs each week until you start to gain 1 pound a week. Just eating clean on a regular diet is going to do wonders for your physique compared to what you were eating before.

I don't really like dieting down at first because I feel small, but as the cuts and striations start to come out I feel a little better about myself, and you actually look bigger. If I wear a long sleeve shirt and see someone I haven?t seen in a while, they will notice the weight lose, but if I wear a tank to the gym people ask if I have gained weight even though I've lost 20 lbs.

If you want, follow along with my progress pics. I am on this diet right now and I have already lost 10 pounds in the last few weeks. I will be posting a pic each week until my contest in 7 weeks. That way you can see the transformation. Good work and good luck.
    Thank you very much. I felt a little lost for awhile, i was trying to get info from other people on the forum and about all I got was stop cutting you idiot you already weigh to little. A big thing is my legs are small that contribute to low weight. I believe I will do exactly that and just eat a lot cleaner without a completely strict diet (counting etc). I will keep track of protein intake and keep it up around 200 but I'll also keep in the back of my head what kind of carbs I had been eating through the day and about what I've been eating. Would you still strongly suggest against wheat bread/a little peanut butter and whole eggs? I guess I'll just kinda track myself this week or something if im gaining to much i'll get a little more strict and if i'm losing a little that is is perfect. What do you think?

Thank you very much. I felt a little lost for awhile, i was trying to get info from other people on the forum and about all I got was stop cutting you idiot you already weigh to little. A big thing is my legs are small that contribute to low weight. I believe I will do exactly that and just eat a lot cleaner without a completely strict diet (counting etc). I will keep track of protein intake and keep it up around 200 but I'll also keep in the back of my head what kind of carbs I had been eating through the day and about what I've been eating. Would you still strongly suggest against wheat bread/a little peanut butter and whole eggs? I guess I'll just kinda track myself this week or something if im gaining to much i'll get a little more strict and if i'm losing a little that is is perfect. What do you think?
    Again, it depends on what your goals are, and how aggressively you want to accomplish those goals. Today's large egg contains only a moderate amount of fat, with about 5 grams in only the egg yolk, (1.5 grams saturated), and 213 mg of cholesterol. Taken in moderation, a little fat is not going to destroy your physique, but your body does not burn fat for energy, nor can you build muscle from eating fat. Fat gets stored as fat. Bread is a watery carb. If you want to see how your body will respond, eat bread for a couple of days and watch what happens to your mid-section. Don't freak out about it. It will just be water. You can eliminate bread and you will lose it again. Don't think you have to be strict all the time either. Have a cheat meal once a week.

check this out.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek88.htm

Again, it depends on what your goals are, and how aggressively you want to accomplish those goals. Today's large egg contains only a moderate amount of fat, with about 5 grams in only the egg yolk, (1.5 grams saturated), and 213 mg of cholesterol. Taken in moderation, a little fat is not going to destroy your physique, but your body does not burn fat for energy, nor can you build muscle from eating fat. Fat gets stored as fat. Bread is a watery carb. If you want to see how your body will respond, eat bread for a couple of days and watch what happens to your mid-section. Don't freak out about it. It will just be water. You can eliminate bread and you will lose it again. Don't think you have to be strict all the time either. Have a cheat meal once a week.

check this out.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek88.htm
    So even whole grain breads are a watery carbs? The article suggested whole grain breads. I suppose if the egg yolk has no benefit I can take it out as I enjoy egg whites almost just as much. So in all honesty, what is more important to count? Calories or Carbs? I see alot of things that focus on calorie counting and not carbs? It also said to start out with bmr and lower/higher calories accordingly, so how does that tell me how many carbs I should be getting a day?
    Last edited by Bdawg22; 06-02-2009 at 12:27 AM.

So even whole grain breads are a watery carbs? The article suggested whole grain breads. I suppose if the egg yolk has no benefit I can take it out as I enjoy egg whites almost just as much. So in all honesty, what is more important to count? Calories or Carbs? I see alot of things that focus on calorie counting and not carbs? It also said to start out with bmr and lower/higher calories accordingly, so how does that tell me how many carbs I should be getting a day?
    I would stick with counting protein, carbs, and fat. It will be a lot easier to control because 500 calories of carbs is going to affect your body a lot differently than 500 calories of protein. I'm not saying don't eat fat because you do need to eat fat. Just keep your fat intake at 18% to 20% of your daily caloric intake.

I wish that there was a magic diet that worked for everyone, but you just have to see what works for your body. Like I said, try the wheat bread and see what it does to your mid-section. If you gain water, you can always eliminate the bread and you will lose it
    again.

A really good book to pick up would be Championship Bodybuilding, by Chris Aceto. It covers weight training, cardio, and especially diet. Everything you need to know to lose fat and gain muscle.

http://www.amazon.com/Championship-B...3954914&sr=8-1
    Last edited by bear1; 06-02-2009 at 09:15 AM.

Alright will do. I think I'm gonna try a lil clean bulk for the summer and see how that goes. Any advice on carb/fat intake on a clean bulk? I know my protein is needing 165-230 or somewhere around there and im pretty sure fat will just be the 20% of caloric intake. But does around like 200 clean carbs a day seem like it'd work?

fassilt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would stick with counting protein, carbs, and fat. It will be a lot easier to control because 500 calories of carbs is going to affect your body a lot differently than 500 calories of protein. I'm not saying don't eat fat because you do need to eat fat. Just keep your fat intake at 18% to 20% of your daily caloric intake.

I wish that there was a magic diet that worked for everyone, but you just have to see what works for your body. Like I said, try the wheat bread and see what it does to your mid-section. If you gain water, you can always eliminate the bread and you will lose it
    again.

A really good book to pick up would be Championship Bodybuilding, by Chris Aceto. It covers weight training, cardio, and especially diet. Everything you need to know to lose fat and gain muscle.

http://www.amazon.com/Championship-B...3954914&sr=8-1

WOW...Bear u take a lot of time out helpin this guy..u ended up helpin me eventually. 'im reading all your posts... i notice you mention the amount of carbs and proteins to take in, but do you ever worry about the amount of TOTAL calorie intake when cutting/bulking? ALSO..what about workouts in general? do you lift the same reps? heavy? light?
    Last edited by fassilt; 06-02-2009 at 05:22 PM.

GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) GrokTheCube is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Here's what works for ME.

Lifting: 3 days a week, with 4 off. Chest/back, legs/shoulders, arms. I do calves and abs every day, unless they "feel" like they are not recovered. I lift heavy. Warm up with one 10-12 rep set, then do 3 in the 4-6 rep range.

Cardio: 1-2 hour walk with the GF every night, ~3 mph. HIIT 3 days a week (off days). 15 minutes, 5 warm up. 30 seconds balls out, 30 slow. Rinse and repeat.

Diet: 6 small meals a day. I don't kill myself counting cals, but shoot for 200g of protein and about 2000 calories on off days.

When I lift, I eat normally up to 45 minutes pwo, the down 20g or whey, a scoop of purple wrath, and some yohimbine/tta. After workout, I pound 3 scoops of whey, a bannana, and a liter of skim milk. I also take lean xtreme at this point. I try to eat 2000 calories between workout and bed.

This has been wildly successful for me. Two years ago I was at 280-290 and over 40% BF at 5'11. Following this plan, I'm now at 220/15%. Also, took about 6 months off for some bad family issues, and honestly ate a bit dirty at various points.

My goal now is back to at least a 4 pack by the begining of august. Pretty sure I can do it.

Originally Posted by fassilt View Post
    WOW...Bear u take a lot of time out helpin this guy..u ended up helpin me eventually. 'im reading all your posts... i notice you mention the amount of carbs and proteins to take in, but do you ever worry about the amount of TOTAL calorie intake when cutting/bulking? ALSO..what about workouts in general? do you lift the same reps? heavy? light?
    Yes he has and I'm very grateful. I've learned more about nutrition from this guy then I have throughout my entire lifting career (2 years or so). Thanks bear1 really its awesome your willing to help me out like you have.

kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kittentickler has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    the more muscle you have on your abs is really going to have a big part to play, just make sure your workin them and staying on a good diet. bear1 has his **** down
    Ryan

Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ordy4Lif has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    awesome post and replies. Reading this makes me think on my diet and what i need to do, my wife is going to like what i start wanting to eat but oh well she will live, i might not but ...... Bear1 bad ass posts brotha.