Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    innerbliss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Sacramento passing bill for Personal trainers

Personal trianers would have to meet certain standards in California under a bill approved by the state senate.

Some trainers have little more than a weekend class before they train clients.

This bill would require personal trainers to have a bachelors degree in a related field or be certified by a nationally accredited program.

Just an FYI for all future PT's

momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000) momofo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm not from Sacramento but I think this should be nationalized. There are way too many "I got results so now I can train others and *oops* now they're hurt" trainers out there.

jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is great news! Now we can finally put an end to those damn Brofessors ...well at least professionally. I'm glad they are recognizing it this way, hopefully will spread !
    Applied Exercise Physiology Master's Student
    CSCS
    ACSM-CPT
    Rugger

gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000) gekkoboy14 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jhoffm8 View Post
    This is great news! Now we can finally put an end to those damn Brofessors ...well at least professionally. I'm glad they are recognizing it this way, hopefully will spread !
    what if we dress like a bro?
    Owner of Rapid Transformation Training LLC
    Transform your Mind, Body and Life

www.rapidtransformationtraining.com

jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jhoffm8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gekkoboy14 View Post
    what if we dress like a bro?
    as long as you're not training like one, you can bro yourself into oblivion...and stop forum stalking me!
    CSCS
    ACSM-CPT
    Rugger

It's later than you think EMISGOD's Avatar
    EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EMISGOD has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is this actually a law yet or still under debate?
    Ongoing Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106420991

Come here and open your mouth, S103/Syntrax, I gotta take a piss: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3569901

bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigbuff420 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Honestly, training someone ain't hard unless they have specific goals like competitions and stuff.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bill number is sb 374, its passed the senate and is heading to the assmbly.
    Bill looks ok sets aside yoga pilates and other things as exsempt.
    Problem is Arnold has vetoed the bill in the past.

ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ProteinGram48 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by carl.c View Post
    yeah seriously look at whot he gov. is haha

Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keltron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigbuff420 View Post
    Honestly, training someone ain't hard unless they have specific goals like competitions and stuff.
    negged!

jk..... but I do disagree whole-heartedly.
    Sept of Baelor was an inside job. Wildfire can't melt stone masonry.

jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Keltron View Post
    negged!

jk..... but I do disagree whole-heartedly.

mikeraw has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mikeraw has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Training is difficult regardless of the situation. There are many factors that you have to take a look at such as a persons age, gender, sometimes their handicaps, their goals. You have to know nutrition to help them achieve their goals (perhaps the most important part of all). Every person you have to approach a little differently. I am glad such a bill is being passed, there needs to be a bill like that in AZ. Being a former trainer, I saw too many people with an online cert (many times that a friend took for them) that had no clue what they were doing hurting too many people. The only problem is if you make it to have a bachelor in a related field, you are gonna have a lot of people who don't wanna use their bachelors for a 10.00 an hour job, lol. I know I am not gonna use mine for 10.00.
    Go all out bro!
    Team B.Y.B Better Your Best

unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by innerbliss View Post
    Personal trianers would have to meet certain standards in California under a bill approved by the state senate.

This bill would require personal trainers to have a bachelors degree in a related field or be certified by a nationally accredited program.

Do you have a source for this info?

A bill is not needed to require personal trainers to have a bachelors degree in a related field or be certified by a nationally accredited program, because this is what's happening right now
    On the lookout for some good steroids/ph's

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    unauthorized: Are you ok, did you get hit in the head by a weight?
    The source of the info is the california senate bill sb374 look it up..
    There are no rules governing who can call them selves personal trainers right know. If there is please post the law here so we can all see it.

nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100) nickmanzoni is not very well liked. (-100)
    There are no rules governing who can call them selves personal trainers right know. If there is please post the law here so we can all see it.
    I don't know what unauthorized said and I don't care.... I put him on my ignore list for a reason, maybe you should too.
    I would've lied if I told you this was easy.

Check out my tumblr: http://nickmanzoni.tumblr.com/

unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Good try son
    First off, learn to spell.
    Dictionary.com.. look it up
    Also, learn how to use punctuation

This so called bill has been dissed before. Anybody can call themselves a personal trainer, and no law can prevent that, sorry
    Last edited by unauthorized; 04-27-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Originally Posted by mikeraw View Post
    Training is difficult regardless of the situation. There are many factors that you have to take a look at such as a persons age, gender, sometimes their handicaps, their goals. You have to know nutrition to help them achieve their goals (perhaps the most important part of all). Every person you have to approach a little differently. I am glad such a bill is being passed, there needs to be a bill like that in AZ. Being a former trainer, I saw too many people with an online cert (many times that a friend took for them) that had no clue what they were doing hurting too many people. The only problem is if you make it to have a bachelor in a related field, you are gonna have a lot of people who don't wanna use their bachelors for a 10.00 an hour job, lol. I know I am not gonna use mine for 10.00.
    Honestly, there are plenty of trainers out there with a degree and a cert, that don't know what they're doing as well. There are plenty of people on bb.com, with no degree or cert that know more than a trainer with a degree or a cert, or even both

I scratch my head when i see the trainers at 24 talk about their degrees, and NASM certs, and they have no idea what they're doing

Spell and punctuation check

Sounds like a problem for you? So what are you gonna about this bill?

Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000) Vince Goodrum is a complete loser! (-2000)
    [QUOTE=innerbliss;321845121]Personal trianers would have to meet certain standards in California under a bill approved by the state senate.

It will never pass.

[QUOTE=Vince Goodrum;323025081]

It will never pass.
    Truth!

Vince: This is the second round for this bill. It passed the first time but ARnold vetoed it.
    I personaly think a bill like this is needed. not sure if this is the right one, I'm interested in seeing what the assmbly does with it.
    Please if your only stance against the bill is "certs don't make good trainers" keep it to your self
    The argument is silly and misleading since you can say that about any profession.
    Last edited by carl.c; 04-28-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot to add

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Please if your only stance against the bill is "certs don't make good trainers" keep it to your self
    The argument is silly and misleading since you can say that about any profession.
    Silly and misleading? LOL

Sorry, but having a certain certification or a degree does not make you a better, or good trainer than the next trainer with just a certification alone.
    Having a certain certification or degree does not entitle you to success, nor does it mean you will have a line of potential clients looking to train with you.

I have seen plenty of trainers with a certification and a degree who are horrible trainers, who ended up venturing towards other careers. I just gasp when i step into a commercial gym, when i see their trainers with what they call the best certifications and a degree, and are clueless about what they're doing

Becoming a good trainer is achieved through experience, and trial & error. Changing people lives is what clients pay you for. No certification or degree will ever do that. It's in your heart, your desire and passion to help others that will lead to success as a trainer. You can do all this with just a certification.

Like i tell people
    "just because you have a drivers license, does not mean you know how to drive a car"
    Last edited by MVP; 04-28-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    Mastering Yourself Makes You Fearless

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)

There's a similar bill being proposed in MA as well. Minimums of BA in health science related field, accredited PT certification along with a state sanctioned mandatory exam. A lot of PT's I know are butt hurt because of it :P Even if I didn't have an ex phys degree I'd support it.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    Silly and misleading? LOL

Sorry, but having a certain certification or a degree does not make you a better, or good trainer than the next trainer with just a certification alone.
    Having a certain certification or degree does not entitle you to success, nor does it mean you will have a line of potential clients looking to train with you.

I have seen plenty of trainers with a certification and a degree who are horrible trainers, who ended up venturing towards other careers. I just gasp when i step into a commercial gym, when i see their trainers with what they call the best certifications and a degree, and are clueless about what they're doing

Becoming a good trainer is achieved through experience, and trial & error. Changing people lives is what clients pay you for. No certification or degree will ever do that. It's in your heart, your desire and passion to help others that will lead to success as a trainer. You can do all this with just a certification.

Like i tell people
    "just because you have a drivers license, does not mean you know how to drive a car"

Not that I totally disagree with you as it won't keep idiots away still, why can't your argument be used for every single profession that requires a degree?

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    Not that I totally disagree with you as it won't keep idiots away still, why can't your argument be used for every single profession that requires a degree?
    It can be used for every profession that requires a degree

Just because you have a degree in any profession that you choose, does not mean you're good at it. There are plenty of people with degrees out there, in any field, which require a degree, who are not good at what they do

Am i wrong?
    Last edited by MVP; 04-28-2009 at 10:32 PM.

I personaly think a bill like this is needed. not sure if this is the right one
    So which one is it?
    Don't be stupid now
    Last edited by unauthorized; 04-28-2009 at 10:54 PM.

I think alot of you make very good points. I have several co-workers who I know are certified, but often make their clients due very unsafe or biomechanically compromising activities. I like the 'driver's license' analogy that was very clever.
    I think the more important issue here is that we trainers know that being certified doesn't make you a good trainer! The cert tests you on the knowledge and very little on the application of that knowledge. HOWEVER, we don't like people who aren't educated - either through formal classes or certification - making us who really work hard and study look bad. I think in general, it's reasonable to assume the more educated you are, the less likely you are to put your clients at risk and the more likely you are to help them reach your goals. I'M NOT SAYING PEOPLE WHO ARE CERT/DEGREE DON'T MAKE MISTAKES OR DO STUPID THINGS WITH CLIENTS, but alot of us spend months/years getting certified and just about everyday trying to continue our education.
    I would encourage anyone to look into personal training if it interests you, however most of do not want anymore brofessors making us look stupid. They are a stain on our industry and are a safety hazard to their clients. Having ACSM behind my name doesn't mean that I am good trainer, but it does mean that I have devoted alot of money, time, and resources to improving myself and my knowledge base and I think that shows character and devotion to the industry.
    I just want people to get the safest and most effective service they can. I dont want to see anyone potentially loose their job or be denied, but a few bad trainers often make all of us look bad.
    CSCS
    ACSM-CPT
    Rugger

batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) batmanman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    brb movin to Sacramento

Originally Posted by jhoffm8 View Post
    I think alot of you make very good points. I have several co-workers who I know are certified, but often make their clients due very unsafe or biomechanically compromising activities. I like the 'driver's license' analogy that was very clever.
    I think the more important issue here is that we trainers know that being certified doesn't make you a good trainer! The cert tests you on the knowledge and very little on the application of that knowledge. HOWEVER, we don't like people who aren't educated - either through formal classes or certification - making us who really work hard and study look bad. I think in general, it's reasonable to assume the more educated you are, the less likely you are to put your clients at risk and the more likely you are to help them reach your goals. I'M NOT SAYING PEOPLE WHO ARE CERT/DEGREE DON'T MAKE MISTAKES OR DO STUPID THINGS WITH CLIENTS, but alot of us spend months/years getting certified and just about everyday trying to continue our education.
    I would encourage anyone to look into personal training if it interests you, however most of do not want anymore brofessors making us look stupid. They are a stain on our industry and are a safety hazard to their clients. Having ACSM behind my name doesn't mean that I am good trainer, but it does mean that I have devoted alot of money, time, and resources to improving myself and my knowledge base and I think that shows character and devotion to the industry.
    I just want people to get the safest and most effective service they can. I dont want to see anyone potentially loose their job or be denied, but a few bad trainers often make all of us look bad.
    The thing is, anyone off the street can can study and pass a certification exam. It's called being book smart. There are many trainers out there who are only book smart. Common sense teaches safety. You shouldn't need a certification or degree to teach you that.

There are many other things that make a devoted trainer look bad other than safety. Out of shape trainers, poor work ethic, not producing results etc...

It's great that you have ACSM, more power to you. Potential clients don't know the difference between certifications, nor do they really care which one you have. What's most important to them is
    "what are you gonna do for me", since that's what they're paying you for.
    Last edited by MVP; 04-29-2009 at 08:05 AM.

Originally Posted by MVP View Post
    The thing is, anyone off the street can can study and pass a certification exam. It's called being book smart. There are many trainers out there who are only book smart. Common sense teaches safety. You shouldn't need a certification or degree to teach you that.

There are many other things that make a devoted trainer look bad other than safety. Out of shape trainers, poor work ethic, not producing results etc...

It's great that you have ACSM, more power to you. Potential clients don't know the difference between certifications, nor do they really care which one you have. What's most important to them is
    "what are you gonna do for me", since that's what they're paying you for.
    I agree with you - especially about the out of shape trainers lol - thats just not acceptable. And also clients don't know or care about certifications - thats true however shouldn't your employer care? Where I work (University) we get job applications in the hundreds of just 'gym rats' and they all never even make it to the interview just because they lack a formal study in kinesiology or personal training.
    I don't think safety is necessarily common sense, most of the time it is - and if you work out regularly its very likely you understand the biomechanics pretty well. More likely than not, especially now with the retiring baby boomer populations, trainers will be working with special populations. Everyone thinks that training is easy because they assume that every client is 25 and trying to loose weight and gain muscle. NOT TRUE - 80% of my clients have been 40+, had some form of cardiovascular disease, multiple joint problems/injuries, osteopenia or osteoperosis, and all kinds of wacky stuff. So in that sense, its not always common sense - their are always resources available if a trainer isn't sure how to handle lets say a subluxed shoulder for example, however the more education you have the more likely you will be able to deal with it.
    Its also true that alot of people can walk in and pass an exam just from good test taking skills or sheer intelligence. There are certainly flaws in the system! However there's not alot of other ways to differentiate people either, someone might be really good at their interview and talk up a storm but be a poor trainer. MVP do you have any suggestions as to how to differentiate between legit and crappy trainers?
    CSCS
    ACSM-CPT
    Rugger