gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Benefits of a Power Rack

So I understand that power rack are much better, safer, useful, and worth the money than benches.

There's no doubt that it's safer, but I was wondering how it can allow you to do more exercises than a bench with a squat rack (i.e. the bench and the rack is separate)?

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is: what essential exercises does the power rack allow you to do that a bench with a squat rack doesn't allow?

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gbrs5 View Post
    So I understand that power rack are much better, safer, useful, and worth the money than benches.

There's no doubt that it's safer, but I was wondering how it can allow you to do more exercises than a bench with a squat rack (i.e. the bench and the rack is separate)?

Basically, what I'm trying to ask is: what essential exercises does the power rack allow you to do that a bench with a squat rack doesn't allow?
    Bench lockouts (pin press), rack deads, pull-ups, dips (on some), concentric squats, works very well as jerk blocks/technique scoops I found.

None of which can't easily be done on squat racks, or can't be done at all. I mention pullups and dips because I don't have room for a standalone, so the fact my rack lets me do them easily is a big plus.

There are probably lots lots more; thats just what I can remember I've been using mine for over the last 2 months.

What you call an essenitial exercise depends entirely on your goals, but
    no other piece of equipment comes close to the versitity a rack gives you.

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can't do deadlifts and bent barbell rows in a squat rack
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Pull ups, dips, Anything with the overhead bar really, think a whole VKR. Calf raises against the rack, seated calf too.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Skidmarx View Post
    You can't do deadlifts and bent barbell rows in a squat rack
    For deadlifts and bent barbell rows, don't you just pick it off the ground?

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I dunno, I had a half rack for a year, got it after I didn't want to lift on a smith anymore. After a year I didn't feel comfortable squating with the half rack.

Fact is you can do a lot of the same stuff with a half rack. But for me, the safety issue in a full rack made all the difference. Once I found the deal I wanted, I gave up a pec dec and a smith to have the full enclosure. I even had a chin bar on mine, so that wasn't even an issue.

When given the choice between failing and maybe hitting a safety 14" long or failing and knowing you'll hit the 3' long safeties that are enclosed, I liked option 2 and it was enough for me to go that route once I got the deal I wanted.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    I dunno, I had a half rack for a year, got it after I didn't want to lift on a smith anymore. After a year I didn't feel comfortable squating with the half rack.

Fact is you can do a lot of the same stuff with a half rack. But for me, the safety issue in a full rack made all the difference. Once I found the deal I wanted, I gave up a pec dec and a smith to have the full enclosure. I even had a chin bar on mine, so that wasn't even an issue.

When given the choice between failing and maybe hitting a safety 14" long or failing and knowing you'll hit the 3' long safeties that are enclosed, I liked option 2 and it was enough for me to go that route once I got the deal I wanted.
    Yeah I would love to get a power rack, but it's expensive, especially the shipping fee for us in Canada if we buy online. I'm looking on Craiglist and other local used item sites, but being in Ottawa (not a very big city), I don't see many power racks out for sale. And buying from a local store here is usually quite expensive, since the market here is not as competitive as down in the States. I guess the best thing for me is to wait and be patience and maybe a good deal will come along...I'm not desperate to get a power rack anyways.

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yea, seems to be a dilema for you guys and that's a shame. If you can find a half rack that feels comfortable and stable, it'll work for you. Whatever gets you moving for now. Keep looking after that and you'll get the rack eventually. Just be careful.

Oh, try to find one with a chin up bar too. I don't think they're as common, but they're out there.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah I would love to get a power rack, but it's expensive, especially the shipping fee for us in Canada if we buy online. I'm looking on Craiglist and other local used item sites, but being in Ottawa (not a very big city), I don't see many power racks out for sale. And buying from a local store here is usually quite expensive, since the market here is not as competitive as down in the States. I guess the best thing for me is to wait and be patience and maybe a good deal will come along...I'm not desperate to get a power rack anyways.
    You will never find a used power rack for sale in Ottawa LOL, maybe one per year comes up which is a good deal. With the rest the seller wants over $1,000, or its that stupid Ivanko rack thing they sold at Costco.

If you really want one, order a ptec from exercisedirect, they are $549 and shipping is about $85, cheapest in Canada. Mine arrived in 4-5 days after I ordered.

Or call www.fitnessequipmentottawa.com (merivale emerald plaza) and ask them to price match. They may or may not. Probably they wont or will try to charge you for shipping, or someother excuse. But cant hurt to try, if you want to get the rack locally. (and dont expect them to have the rack in stock, so get an ETA.)
    []---[] Equipment Crew #6 []---[]
    Rogue R3 Crew -[]--(ಠ_ಠ)--[]-

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

"Where the **** are we at?" -Christopher Columbus

Originally Posted by Keetman View Post
    Yea, seems to be a dilema for you guys and that's a shame. If you can find a half rack that feels comfortable and stable, it'll work for you. Whatever gets you moving for now. Keep looking after that and you'll get the rack eventually. Just be careful.

Oh, try to find one with a chin up bar too. I don't think they're as common, but they're out there.
    Yeah the dilemma goes for other stuff too, like protein. I hate shipping...or even worse, some don't even offer shipping to Canada.

Originally Posted by Accutron View Post
    You will never find a used power rack for sale in Ottawa LOL, maybe one per year comes up which is a good deal. With the rest the seller wants over $1,000, or its that stupid Ivanko rack thing they sold at Costco.

If you really want one, order a ptec from exercisedirect, they are $549 and shipping is about $85, cheapest in Canada. Mine arrived in 4-5 days after I ordered.

Or call www.fitnessequipmentottawa.com (merivale emerald plaza) and ask them to price match. They may or may not. Probably they wont or will try to charge you for shipping, or someother excuse. But cant hurt to try, if you want to get the rack locally. (and dont expect them to have the rack in stock, so get an ETA.)
    Yeah I saw one on UsedOttawa, along with other stuff, the guy was selling for $2500!!!

Actually the Powertec deal for $549 is actually pretty good. Btw, do you where else I can get good equipment here in Ottawa?

Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000) Accutron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah the dilemma goes for other stuff too, like protein. I hate shipping...or even worse, some don't even offer shipping to Canada.

Yeah I saw one on UsedOttawa, along with other stuff, the guy was selling for $2500!!!

Actually the Powertec deal for $549 is actually pretty good. Btw, do you where else I can get good equipment here in Ottawa?
    Theres FEO, which I dont like, but you can give a try - his prices are kind of high.

Or go see http://www.fitnesswarehouse.ca/fitness_ottawa.html in Orleans, the owner is awesome. They sell a lot of used stuff, so maybe you can find something nice, just see what they have.

Isn't it weird that pirates would go out to shore looking for buried treasure but the real treasure was in the friendships they were making?

Originally Posted by Accutron View Post
    Theres FEO, which I dont like, but you can give a try - his prices are kind of high.

Or go see http://www.fitnesswarehouse.ca/fitness_ottawa.html in Orleans, the owner is awesome. They sell a lot of used stuff, so maybe you can find something nice, just see what they have.
    Thanks a lot. But what's FEO?
    I'll definitely check those places out...although there's other obstacles in the way of my decision making.
    1. My mom says it's useless if I buy stuff now because I'll be gone to university in less than 2 years.
    2. My basement ceiling is really low...if I remember correctly, a little bit less than 85".

Anyways, thanks to everyone for this info...Appreciated and repped. (or owe reps)

Thanks a lot. But what's FEO?
    I'll definitely check those places out...although there's other obstacles in the way of my decision making.
    1. My mom says it's useless if I buy stuff now because I'll be gone to university in less than 2 years.
    2. My basement ceiling is really low...if I remember correctly, a little bit less than 85".

Anyways, thanks to everyone for this info...Appreciated and repped. (or owe reps)
    FEO is Fitness Equipment Ottawa. Good luck with your decisions.

yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) yankeemarko1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ottawa is not too far from the NY state border. Have you thought about searching CL in NY or driving to NY for a better deal?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.19

Proud Owner of an Irish Tan

Originally Posted by yankeemarko1 View Post
    Ottawa is not too far from the NY state border. Have you thought about searching CL in NY or driving to NY for a better deal?
    Actually, I've considered of ordering stuff online and shipping them to an address in the States and driving down there to pick it up. But anyways, if I'm gonna be doing something like that, it'll have to wait until the summer.