Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Suffolk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Seeing stars after deadlifting 1 rep max. iso hlp plz

Ok this hasnt happened in a while. i had this a lil while back, i would see starts after deadlifting or while pickin up the weight. well today i had that problem. I went for my 1 rep max i got it up decently, I didn't really strain that hard in my opinion. after I put the weight down i saw little dots or stars w/e u wana call them. I saw them for like 10 seconds than they went away.

What is this? and is it dangerous?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'm not a doc, but I'd suggest you see one about this, right away.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kiknskreem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It happens, sometimes from holding your breath a bit too long, sometimes from a sudden change in blood pressure.

After fighting a heavy stone things usually go a little fuzzy for a few seconds.
    http://youtube.com/user/Kiknskreem

ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10) ardsranger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have done that a few time when lifting heavy, if i forget about adding air to my brain.. take a breath.

IF IN DOUBT CALL YOUR DR
    May the blessings of the Lord be with you and yours

My workout is posted in this thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=310493341#post310493341

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Were you wearing a belt? If you were wearing a belt and you had the belt tightened for too long before the lift, or you spent too long in the bottom position, getting set up etc then it can be purely from that.

The action of the belt affects your blood pressure, which can cause the seeing stars bit, so that's one possible reason (as is holding your breath which has already been mentioned).

On a side note, one of the first indications I had that my heart wasn't functioning fully was my going temporarily blind when I did deadlifts; so it doesn't do any harm to get it checked out if it keeps happening.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The guys above have given some sound advice around what could be causing it. I would question why you focus so regularly on your 1RM. Personally, I've never done it and I dont see it as a robust and reliable measure of progress. I would recommend regular poundage progression and tracking your progress instead. When you look back and realise that you now warm up with your max from 2 years ago, you'll see clearly enough that you've progressed.

(Unless of course you're a competitive powerlifter or strongman)

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bumping this one...

I've been experiencing the same thing as the OP since I got the DL's in the 450 lb range back in November. Yesterday I hit the 475 mark and I saw the stars for about 15 seconds. I didn't feel dizzy, but it freaks me out a bit. Do any of you experience anything like this?

Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000) Caesura75 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by BankWalker View Post
    Bumping this one...

I've been experiencing the same thing as the OP since I got the DL's in the 450 lb range back in November. Yesterday I hit the 475 mark and I saw the stars for about 15 seconds. I didn't feel dizzy, but it freaks me out a bit. Do any of you experience anything like this?
    I don't get it from weight training but I frequently see stars after sneezing. Providing you're not suffering vertigo or feeling feint, then I doubt it's cause for concern. It tends to be created by straining which creates pressure in the head and sometimes affects the retina of the eye. Once pressure restores a few seconds after completing the lift, the stars disappear.
    Accept difference. Not indifference.

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It could be as simple as you held your breath and strained too hard and no big deal, or you could have strained to hard and the stars are a rush of blood through your eyes from your retina tearing or a slight seperation. If you saw a huge flood of stars, that would be more concerning. If it was just a few, then next time focus on breathing so you don't strain so hard.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    All the time. I do not stand up immediately after finishing a set. I take a knee or rest on something until my BP has a chance to stabilize. I have never blacked out....but I am pretty sure I would if I did not take these precautions.

It is a very common thing if you are straining hard enough.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post
    All the time. I do not stand up immediately after finishing a set. I take a knee or rest on something until my BP has a chance to stabilize. I have never blacked out....but I am pretty sure I would if I did not take these precautions.

This x2....stand up slowly, espeacially when maxing on deadlifts. I take a seat afterward. Don't end up on youtube bc you stood up fast and then passed out....I think everyones seen those vids. lol

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's not a rare thing - there have been more than a few people pass out during a max deadlift. Can be due to inadvertently holding your breath but those with blood pressure that is on the low side can get this. Sometimes I see stars after standing up after sitting for a while. Blood sugar can affect it too. Google orthostatic hypotension.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Suffolk View Post

I would guess blood pressure or low blood sugar.
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by induced_drag View Post

I'm glad to hear this. I always take a knee or just sit in the floor until the crazy lights stop flashing. It usually lasts for a few seconds.

akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10) akls96 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Happens every time. It used to be worse until I learned to breath and relax. Now I make sure to sit after the set. If I don't sit I probably be laying down against my will.
    Small attainable goals are magical.

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by BalhamBeast View Post
    It's not a rare thing - there have been more than a few people pass out during a max deadlift. Can be due to inadvertently holding your breath but those with blood pressure that is on the low side can get this. Sometimes I see stars after standing up after sitting for a while. Blood sugar can affect it too. Google orthostatic hypotension.
    A good friend of mine used to powerlift with us in college. He'd pass out after nearly every heavy dead. We'd stand close and grab him after his lift. He had high blood pressure and it would spike when lifting. Not the smartest thing to do but what are you going to tell 18-20 yo guys? LOL

w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) w8killer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Don't let this happen to you...
    - Don't get caught up in all the hype. Just lift, eat and rest! -

* Mad Hatter Crew

quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quietchef is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Of all places, the freaking dumbbell rack.

Happens to me every time I go 'heavy.' Not passing out, just the seeing stars. Usually just lean back on the wall for a few seconds, but after seeing the other responses I might stay down until back to normal.

Originally Posted by w8killer View Post

Don't let this happen to you...
    lol..that's the vid...if you're feeling faint, light headed or seeing stars at least don't walk toward the dumbell rack.

Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10) Montourage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This used to happen to me on heavy leg days. Usually when repping squats in the 405+ range. I've never been too concerned about it myself as I return to normal in a 10-15 seconds. As some have mentioned I'd attribute it to a sudden spike in blood pressure as my eyes would tend to get extremely bloodshot at the same time. I just grab the rack and wait for it to pass.

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Suffolk View Post
    Ok this hasnt happened in a while. i had this a lil while back, i would see starts after deadlifting or while pickin up the weight. well today i had that problem. I went for my 1 rep max i got it up decently, I didn't really strain that hard in my opinion. after I put the weight down i saw little dots or stars w/e u wana call them. I saw them for like 10 seconds than they went away.

Go see a Doc ASAP

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JonnyStead View Post
    I would recommend regular poundage progression and tracking your progress instead. When you look back and realise that you now warm up with your max from 2 years ago, you'll see clearly enough that you've progressed.
    And it feels great! I began deadlifting a year ago and weights that 6 months ago were a huge triumph are now barely even warm-ups.

Originally Posted by BalhamBeast View Post
    Me too. That can also happen to me if I twist my head the right way in the shower.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) darenblack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i,d say better check your blood pressure. this happened to me once i was cutting down on salt. but thats just me, in your case if youre not sure what is the cause better get a medic check.