Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nlourido has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How much do you pay for your gym membership?

I recently bought a gym membership at Gold's to start my workout program and paid 589 for basically 3 years and 3 months. This nets out to be about 15 dollars a month. I have been asking around and people have been saying I got an extremely good deal. In fact, one person stated that they paid as much as 60/month when they lived in the Twin Cities, which was average there. Average in Utah seems to be about 20-25 a month. I was shocked to hear that there was such a large difference in cost due to demographics. So to feed my curiosity, my question is; How much do you pay for your membership?

Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Sombor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm from Canada so maybe it's different than down there, but the average is $38 a month here. Because I'm in the nursing program at my university though, I pay $40 a term which is pretty sweet.

Garth123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Garth123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Garth123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Garth123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Garth123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Garth123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Garth123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    In Minnesota - Fitness 19 which has dues of $19 per month for life. Great gym with several locations.
    Jack

htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50) htes will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i'm looking at switching gyms and for a good one I'm looking at over 60 a month plus a sign on fee.
    this is why i have no trouble spending $ on home equipment. it's a much better investment.
    it is kinda odd though that i have no problem paying 100+ but i shop around for gyms.

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nlourido View Post
    I recently bought a gym membership at Gold's to start my workout program and paid 589 for basically 3 years and 3 months. This nets out to be about 15 dollars a month. I have been asking around and people have been saying I got an extremely good deal. In fact, one person stated that they paid as much as 60/month when they lived in the Twin Cities, which was average there. Average in Utah seems to be about 20-25 a month. I was shocked to hear that there was such a large difference in cost due to demographics. So to feed my curiosity, my question is; How much do you pay for your membership?
    Well, the funny thing is that you're asking this in the Equipment Forum, which means that most people on here have their own equipment and dont go to a gym. There's others that have both, but its a rarity around here.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No.2

Lifetime reps: TheSuccessful1

Originally Posted by HardKore79 View Post
    Well, the funny thing is that you're asking this in the Equipment Forum, which means that most people on here have their own equipment and dont go to a gym. There's others that have both, but its a rarity around here.
    Yeah.. There was no place to really ask. Could have asked in the Misc section, but figured I would have received posts unrelated to the question. Plus, I assume several people that have home gyms have checked into gym memberships, or have had a gym membership at one time.

i'm looking at switching gyms and for a good one I'm looking at over 60 a month plus a sign on fee.
    this is why i have no trouble spending $ on home equipment. it's a much better investment.
    it is kinda odd though that i have no problem paying 100+ but i shop around for gyms.
    Ouch, 60 eh? Where do you live out of curiosity?
    Last edited by nlourido; 04-14-2009 at 08:10 PM.

HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000) HardKore79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah.. There was no place to really ask. Could have asked in the Misc section, but figured I would have received posts unrelated to the question. Plus, I assume several people that have home gyms have checked into gym memberships, or have had a gym membership at one time.

Ouch, 60 eh? Where do you live out of curiosity?
    They go even higher than $100 at some Lifetime locations. How's that for overpaying?!

YMCA's have good plans but they barely have any good equipment I would go for. Well, at least the one by my house doesn't. They charge close to $20 a month.

I think you got a good deal for a Gold's though.

They go even higher than $100 at some Lifetime locations. How's that for overpaying?!

YMCA's have good plans but they barely have any good equipment I would go for. Well, at least the one by my house doesn't. They charge close to $20 a month.

I think you got a good deal for a Gold's though.
    I checked into Lifetime around here, their membership was something like $20 a month and the membership worked at only one gym... Which to me sucks. Golds allows you to go to any gym in the US. That's crazy to hear that Lifetime charges that much in other places though. Crazy how demographics plays such a large part in membership fees!

Crazy how demographics plays such a large part in membership fees!
    Of course, what costs in California doesn't cost in Michigan.
    AF sorry to bring MI as an example.

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Of course, what costs in California doesn't cost in Michigan.
    AF sorry to bring MI as an example.
    it's ok. if it weren't for my wife and kids, michigan could kiss my hind end. i'd move in a minute!
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

Originally Posted by animalfan View Post
    it's ok. if it weren't for my wife and kids, michigan could kiss my hind end. i'd move in a minute!
    I feel you man! Ive been there a couple of times and hated it. And I was supposedly in the better "burb", Livonia. Ghost town(Detroit) compared to Chi-Town.
    But I would love to move to San Diego. My kinda weather.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    I like everything about Michigan except the cities. Of course I feel that way about the whole country, generally.

I have a lifetime membership at Fitness USA all locations. Got if or less than $500 17 years ago, but have never used it consistently. As a gym it sucks too, nice pool and sauna though.

My home gym cost $250 and will be with me the rest of my life. Plus I've flipped over $300 in equipment in the last year so. I guess since I made money by working out over the last year I'm a professional bodybuilder now
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Riskoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm in the UK, and pay 35 a month which equates to about $52. No contracts though, which is why I joined. I just pay the manager every month, and if I haven't got the money you can pay by day/week etc.
    Arguing online is like running in the special Olympics, even if you win...you're still retarded.

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have a nice home gym but I also go to a commercial gym too. Dues there are about $25 per month.

Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Onita is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Gyms around here cost ~$40-50/month.

Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dazd_N_Confusd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yearly membership costs ?400 in my local gym, and it doesn't even have a squat rack!

****in' piece of **** fitness club is all it is!

animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) animalfan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    I like everything about Michigan except the cities. Of course I feel that way about the whole country, generally.

I have a lifetime membership at Fitness USA all locations. Got if or less than $500 17 years ago, but have never used it consistently. As a gym it sucks too, nice pool and sauna though.

My home gym cost $250 and will be with me the rest of my life. Plus I've flipped over $300 in equipment in the last year so. I guess since I made money by working out over the last year I'm a professional bodybuilder now
    michigan isn't really that bad, i guess, except the unemployment rate and dead economy. just seems like nothing good happens here. personally, i love flint, but everyone i meet from other cities thinks its a ****hole.

the last gym membership i paid for was $35/month. i almost got a membership at powerhouse, until i found out it was $60/month. i already had a home gym, but a few buddies from work lift at powerhouse so i was gonna lift with them.
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." -Thomas Paine

[]---[]Equipment Crew Member No.3[]---[]
    ()---() York Barbell Club #2 ()---()

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    It averages around $30 a month here. Once in a while, I'll pay the day rate at the last commercial gym where I had a membership, and train there for a change of pace. Within usually 15 minutes of being in there, though, I'm reminded of why I built, and train almost exculsively in a home gym.
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dennisi01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I pay 10$ a month - no contract, 60% sign up fee at Fitness club of easton in easton, PA. Small gym, no aerobics floor or day care or anything, but gets the job done until i can get a home gym setup

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    $30/month here.
    Not as big of db's as I like, but lots of equipment and the damn place is CLEAN. Unlike EVERY other gym in town.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Keetman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    I like everything about Michigan except the cities. Of course I feel that way about the whole country, generally...............

I've taken two vacations north of Detroit and I believe that from that point up, Michigan is one of the most beautiful states we have. I've also spent some time in Detroit when my wife worked in one of the hospitals there in 1995..........I think Detroit is worse now than then, from what I hear, and all I can say is ......how?

Sorry.

For the OP. The last time I got a "gym" membership was to a local YMCA. It was actually a pretty decent deal. Nice gym facilities and both an indoor and outdoor pool; as well as all the other features. This was in 2004 and we paid about $780 or so for a family membership for one year......$65 a month for everybody? We left and got our money back after a month because of the freaking "mother may I" mentality. Everytime I turned around there was a sign or some 16 year old telling me what not to do. The final straw was when my wife and I were working out on different machines and she had our 1 year old sleeping quietly beside her. She came up to me on the treadmill and said they'd just kicked her out because of the baby. Sooooooo she watched the baby in the nursery while I ran, then I did the same for her. We just didn't have time to spend 2 hours at the Y and be babysitted everyday. If the kid had been a problem we would have taken care of him......that's our job.....but he was sleeping and not bothering anybody, nor put in any danger.

Never again.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #4 ▪█─────█▪

Ivanko Crew #9
    York Barbell Crew #13

Wow, I feel spoiled. The major gyms around here are all quite nice; 24 Hour Fitness and Gold's are the main ones around here. The major difference is a Gold's Membership works at any of their gyms, where a 24 Hour Fitness membership only works at the gym you sign up for. http://www.itouraccess.com/goldsgym0...dsgym0717.html
    The following link is a virtual tour of what most of the Gold's Gyms look like (which happens to be the one I started going to Monday).

Edit: The major downfall I have seen so far at Gold's is the gym gets PACKED between 5pm-8pm. I have been waiting till about 9:30 to go so I don't have to wait 10 minutes to use something.
    Last edited by nlourido; 04-15-2009 at 11:46 AM.

HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000) HudsonHicks is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sounds like you got an amazing deal OP, i checked out that virtual tour thing, looks like a nice gym.

Mine is 200 GBP (300 USD) per year. 5 power cages, 3 benches, 7 olympic platforms with Ivanko bumper plates. DBs go up to 60kg (135lbs), and then all the usual machines and cardio stuff you expect.

It's my university gym, England rugby team used to train there so it's pretty well equipped. I'm amazed at how **** the quality of commercial gyms are compared to it. I've been to quite a few to workout with friends and it's a surprise if they've got a powercage, or more than one bench, let alone a lifting platform for deadlifts or OL lifts. And the free weight rooms are small cramped little dungeons, whilst the cardio rooms are nice and spacious.

Commercial gyms suck. Glad I've got a home gym for when I'm not at uni.
    Last edited by HudsonHicks; 04-15-2009 at 12:03 PM.

dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000) dcpapi is a complete loser! (-2000)
    good deal...I pay 65/month(which is average here) plus enrollment fee of $90. My previous gym $85 plus $240 sign up

JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JamesYancey has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ?25 pound a month

was 20 but recession

mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10) mbonheur is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Dazd_N_Confusd View Post
    Yearly membership costs ?400 in my local gym, and it doesn't even have a squat rack!

****in' piece of **** fitness club is all it is!
    Haha, welcome to my life. I'm in Brussels and my gym has like 4x20kg plates and I'm actually the only person that does deadlifts in this gym, I think.

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used to pay $30/month for a hole-in-the-wall gym membership. I upgraded to a top tier fitness chain for about $85/month. Neither gym had very heavy dumbbells, much of the selectorized equipment wasn't geared towards heavy lifters, and many people used it as a social gathering rather than a gym. I've since created my home gym. Start-up costs and replacement equipment will probably cost me more in the long run (could have paid for about 15 years of gym dues with what I've spent so far), but everything is mine and geared towards my needs.

Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000) Zensuji is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Riskoe View Post
    I'm in the UK, and pay 35 a month which equates to about $52. No contracts though, which is why I joined. I just pay the manager every month, and if I haven't got the money you can pay by day/week etc.
    Thats actually pretty good. most near me range from ?35 to ?70 a month

johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50) johnderriLLL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    130 a year
    Dont have negative thoughts. Remember your mantra.

PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PullBig has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Could I list my mortgage.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 15

Repping crew for life.

I rep back.:)

Ive got a new training partner.:)

Dirty Bulking.:)