Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squats vs Deadlifts - Which is worse?

I've been doing deadlifts for the last 3 months and while I love the results they are the most intense exercise I have ever done and they leave me completely exhausted. I am going to be adding squats to my routine this week and I was just wondering if they are as intense or even worse than deadlifts?

Also I know this is probably a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway.. does anybody do squats and deadlifts on the same day? I currently do deadlifts on leg day but I'm guessing they are going to have to move to back day once I start squats.
    I'm only human.... but I'm working on that.

Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spire will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Teamgreen View Post
    I've been doing deadlifts for the last 3 months and while I love the results they are the most intense exercise I have ever done and they leave me completely exhausted. I am going to be adding squats to my routine this week and I was just wondering if they are as intense or even worse than deadlifts?

Also I know this is probably a stupid question but I am going to ask it anyway.. does anybody do squats and deadlifts on the same day? I currently do deadlifts on leg day but I'm guessing they are going to have to move to back day once I start squats.
    Deadlifts tend to exhaust me more - but I'm moving more weight with them compared to squats, so I guess that makes sense.

I'm currently on Starting Strength, and I squat and deadlift on Wednesdays. 3 sets of 5 for squats, then 1 set of 5 for deadlifts (not including the 3-5 warmup sets for each exercise). Funnily enough, deadlifting after I've done squats isn't too difficult. Individual results may vary though :P
    When I go hunting, I just stare at the deer.
    They follow me home and climb into my freezer.
    Because they know.
    They know.

dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dkfan9 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think Deadlifts exhaust me more, but as I'm doing the exercise I'd say squats are definitely tougher(as in making me want to quit even if I'm physically strong enough to lift the weight), especially in high rep sets, since the weight is one your back and there's a burn from the negative which doesn't happen as much with deads.

However, deads are worse for me since i have back problems, but that's a different issue. Actually, I love both of them, I just wish my lower back didn't hold me back. I tend to hate most leg machines though.
    my journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1201781

Fatbugger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fatbugger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fatbugger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deep Squats are most definetly more demanding than deadlifts. In my case anyway.
    I love doing both though!
    But squats do "scare" me more...
    If having problems while deadlifting you can just drop the weight easier than while squatting.

Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000) Phil2009 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    imo squats are more demanding, deadlifts deload each rep, but squats constantly have weight sitting on you, also the deeper I go, the more tiring it is.

becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000) becky21 is just really nice. (+1000)

IMO they are more intense than deadlifts and I deadlift much more than I squat.

Not a stupid question at all, I used to squat and dead on the same day but it does make for an extremely intense lifting session. I actually now dead only once every 2 weeks on back day because I find I can't row with my usual weight otherwise.

Originally Posted by Phil2009 View Post
    imo squats are more demanding, deadlifts deload each rep, but squats constantly have weight sitting on you, also the deeper I go, the more tiring it is.
    x2, I squat ass to grass which makes the lift more demanding IMO than deads even though I dead more weight.

I do also need straps for my heavier deadlifting sets.
    I prefer to train when few people are in the gym. Even if the place is packed, I pay no attention to the other bodybuilders except for my training partner. No eye contact. No talking. Even between sets, if I'm not helping my training partner, I just sip water and look at the floor, making it clear that I don't want my mental focus to be interrupted.

-Dorian Yates

sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squats, a lot of compound lifts don't make me sweat much but after a set of squats I'm covered in sweat.
    "i dream therefore i am not"

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Phil2009 View Post
    x3.

Nothing tires me as squats do.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Deads wear me out more. Deloading is the worst part of the lift.

OP, I wouldn't want to do them in the same day. I used to do that. I'd just alternate which one I did first. I was doing like 4 sets of squats, then 4 sets of deads. Then next workout was 4 sets deads, then the 4 sets of squats. I got tired of that, and just did 8 sets of deads one workout, then 8 sets of squats the next. I liked it better. Let me put all my focus into the one lift.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teamgreen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

Originally Posted by becky21 View Post
    I actually now dead only once every 2 weeks on back day because I find I can't row with my usual weight otherwise.
    I am a bit worried about losing strength in my back exercises by deadlifting on the same day but I guess I will deal with it.

Should I always start my back workout with deads and my leg workout with squats when I'm fresh or should I do them later in the workout?
    I'm only human.... but I'm working on that.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks for the replies and advice.

I am a bit worried about losing strength in my back exercises by deadlifting on the same day but I guess I will deal with it.

Should I always start my back workout with deads and my leg workout with squats when I'm fresh or should I do them later in the workout?
    I used to save my deads for the end of the workout. After deads, I couldn't do things like bent over row. But really it is whatever you prefer.

on leg day squats are my first.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ironguns224 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    deadlifts, unless im doing high rep squats then im exhausted.

Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Icicle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you're doing squats correctly, it should be more demanding, at least for me. i cant trust that anyone in hear does squats correctly as i see guys in my gym sayin they only squat parallel because they dont wanna **** up their knees but they really only go down 3 inches

iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iSkinny is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Icicle View Post
    if you're doing squats correctly, it should be more demanding, at least for me. i cant trust that anyone in hear does squats correctly as i see guys in my gym sayin they only squat parallel because they dont wanna **** up their knees but they really only go down 3 inches
    lol you make me laugh. Who can do squats correctly then?

According to you no one on this site, in your gym or exercise professionals performing biomechanical studies can perform squats correctly.

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wouldn't do them on the same day. Deads are a total body workout but (IMO) squats target your legs more. Squats aren't easy for me but they aren't near as devastating as deads...
    "Before my father died, he said the worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing you as dangerous. I've always remembered that, how being dangerous was sacred, a badge of honor." - Act Of Valor