Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Can I cut and do 5x5's at the same time?

Hey all,

I'm wanting to start the 5x5 program but I'm also trying to cut fat before the start of summer. I've been on a high-rep, lower weight program for the past 12 weeks and I'm itching to push some heavy weights.

Will it be ok to combine the 5x5 program with lots of cardio and a cutting diet or is it counter-productive?

Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mason01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if you are going to be cutting calories below maintanence 5X5 is really not the way to go.

The goal of the program is to bring up your strength in all the major lifts. You will fail on all of them soon if your not eating to gain strength.

now I am not saying you cant do the program...but your going to get fed up fast and not make the gains you could doing it.

find a nice split routine until you finish your cut...then bulk with the 5x5

aneas
    You could cut thats all about diet not program.

Mason is right though strength gains probably wont be very good. When I cut strength drops.

Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Fifty+ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Supfreak26 View Post
    Hey all,

I'm wanting to start the 5x5 program but I'm also trying to cut fat before the start of summer. I've been on a high-rep, lower weight program for the past 12 weeks and I'm itching to push some heavy weights.

Will it be ok to combine the 5x5 program with lots of cardio and a cutting diet or is it counter-productive?

There is a big difference between dropping weight and getting "cut". If in fact you're working towards an 8>7>6% body fat, as Mason mentions, it may be a process of diminished capacity. Consistantly dropping total calories and lifting heavier and heavier weight could lead to a very quick plateau. Why not revise your diet by cleaning it up where there is potential and/or reversing the nutrient ratios, maintain total calories and hit the 5x5 program. The 5x5 program will be a lot easier (IMO) now than if you ran the cut cycle and started over...

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Not sure what your weight loss goals are, but I have been cutting for a mock show prep for 10 weeks and I basically have the energy to maintain my lifts.....I have been getting weaker, but not as bad as it could be. I've lost 25lbs. and my lifts have only suffered anywhere from 5-15lbs of personal bests.

Personally, I don't think I could make any strength gains while cutting unless I had a 100% correct and properly timed diet.

JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JonnyStead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I use 5x5 when I'm bulking - my view is that its not an effective regime for cutting weight and not eating enough during 5x5 is counter productive. So I would consider something else. I tend to go with straight 3x8-10 regimes with 75-80% of my previous max's as weight - but thats just me.

Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Supfreak26 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thank you for the replies. I kinda figured this would be the case.

I'm trying to lose another 20lbs so I'll hold off on the 5x5 until I lose more fat. I'll try to reboot my last 12 week program but lower the reps and boost the weight a bit. I like the idea of 3x8-10. I think that will work and help cure my boredom. 12 reps each was burning me out.

Thanks for the help, guys! I lurk here on a daily basis and I love all the great info you guys share! Keep it up!

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Try it,and let us know.
    Land of Honalee

SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000) SR800 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you train 5x5 while bulking, then you need to train 5x5 while cutting, remember that you can always reset, or use a periodized program, the biggest mistake you can make is not always trying to up the weight on the bar while cutting. Many 5x5 programs have 3x3 periods and that may be what it comes to. But always keep pushing forward. If you lifted heavy weights to get your muscle you better keep lifting heavy weights while you diet. Bottom line.
    UP the IRONS!

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SR800 View Post
    If you train 5x5 while bulking, then you need to train 5x5 while cutting, remember that you can always reset, or use a periodized program, the biggest mistake you can make is not always trying to up the weight on the bar while cutting. Many 5x5 programs have 3x3 periods and that may be what it comes to. But always keep pushing forward. If you lifted heavy weights to get your muscle you better keep lifting heavy weights while you diet. Bottom line.
    SR: I agree in concept, however, if you re-read the OP's initial post, he was not doing 5 x 5....he was doing a high rep low weight workout.....

rather than switch abruptly, he should continue somewhat close to what he is doing and then renew the 5 x 5 when he reaches his target weight and can at least do Maintenance calories.....

if he were doing 5 x 5 all along, then I would agree with you for him not to change much....

"Snip it Doc,snip it hard LyingSac's Avatar
    LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LyingSac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    SR: I agree in concept, however, if you re-read the OP's initial post, he was not doing 5 x 5....he was doing a high rep low weight workout.....

rather than switch abruptly, he should continue somewhat close to what he is doing and then renew the 5 x 5 when he reaches his target weight and can at least do Maintenance calories.....

if he were doing 5 x 5 all along, then I would agree with you for him not to change much....
    might be a good way to "shock" the muscles
    Land of Honalee